Braces After 24 Years of Half Smiling! Let's See... - Memphis, TN

Today was the beginning of the rest of my life, or...

Today was the beginning of the rest of my life, or so it seems. I've wanted braces since I was old enough to realize I had an unattractive smile. I never showed my teeth because i was never confident enough.
I was browsing Groupon one day and ran across a coupon for Invisalign. Went to the consultation and found that i was not a candidate. I have peg laterals and retained baby teeth on either side of my laterals. The dentist recommended traditional braces but I was skeptical because I didn't really want them at this age. So I went to my car and thought about it for all of 20 minutes then called the office to schedule my first appointment for a cleaning and get the ball rolling.
After a cleaning and records appointment, I was scheduled to have the braces put on. That's what I did today. I went in, got clear brackets on top & metal on the bottom. In the midst of the dentist placing my brackets on, he decided to go ahead and pull those baby teeth. I was nervous about the space it would leave but it doesn't look that bad when holding my mouth in a normal position.
The procedure was more annoying than painful but I did get numbed for the extractions so that may have something to do with it. My upper lip, nose, and cheeks were numb for about 3 or 4 hours and it felt really weird.
I thought I could eat a soft Burger from Wendy's but it was far more annoying than I had imagined. I literally hate having to bite down. I finished my evening with 2 tubes of Go-Gurt and a slice of cheesecake. If it doesn't slide down my throat, I don't want it.
Looks great; don't worry about how they look as the teeth and time will go fast. When people see a person with braces it makes them either think they need to get them or it reminds them of the period they had them. By the way, you got a great deal under $4K.
Thanks, I am already experiencing those reactions from others. I thought it was a really good deal considering the situation my teeth were in.
Thank you for starting your journey here with us!!!  I agree that you can barely notice the removed teeth--I guess it helps that they were so small, but seeing the adult teeth behind them just makes it look like you have crowding and the baby teeth weren't even there.

So excited to follow your progress!  We don't get nearly as many traditional braces reviews nowadays, and some people just get better outcomes with them.  We have a few active people though.  donewaiting already found you :D.  amylind05 is another--she is some months further along than you.  Jannstar is still in the planning stages.  Finally, Feebster has been going for around ten months but her case is complicated, so she's still going :).  And she wears cool-colored elastics :D.

I hope you find time to look around!

The Horrible Before Pictures

Congrats!! You are truly an inspiration to me. I'm in my late thirtys and have horrible teeth. I've decided to invest in myself and get braces. It can't be any worst than looking at my teeth now. I can't wait to get the braces on!!! Thanks for sharing your story.
No problem, when are you getting yours?
Yeah I will be joining you in June in the braces department to fix a horrible underbite. I too had baby teeth removed. I had three removed. How long did the dr say you are going to need the braces? I was told 18 months and then I will need a retainer and three implants to replace the baby teeth.

I don't understand the pain

It's been about 2 weeks since my first tightening and all was well until a couple of days ago. I get this pain in one tooth when I drink something cold. I can't explain it but it's like biting down on a popsicle with a rotten tooth. It's weird. Has anyone else experienced this?
Unfortunately, I can't remember if this ever happened to me during my orthodontic treatment, but I did find something that may be applicable in the doctors' Q&A.  It's from the Invisalign section, so you probably haven't seen it :).  It's very likely it will resolve, but you should probably let your doctor know at your next appointment if it hasn't resolved itself by then :).

Sensitivity to Cold w/ Invisalign
I think that is your roots moving. I haven't had a tightening yet, but I get these weird feelings from time to time like I'm biting on metal.
Oops, I didn't read your post correctly. Yeah, sensitivity to cold should be discussed with your doc, just to make sure you don't have any problems.

Got My Rubberbands Today : /

Today I went in for my 3rd tightening since I got my braces put on. I experienced the usual gum sensitivity and irritation except now I have to deal with these annoying rubberbands. Ughhhh.
Your smile is already looking loads better!  I'm sorry the elastics are so uncomfortable, though :(.  Do you have to wear them 24 hours/day or do you take them out for eating and cleaning?  Did they call the wear pattern anything specific?
Dr Joel Rutledge

I feel really comfortable with my dentist and he makes the procedure seem like a piece of cake.