I Got Veneers and I Feel Like It's Affecting my Whole Life, and Not in a Good Way - Melville, NY

I got veneers on my upper front 2 teeth. Prior to...

I got veneers on my upper front 2 teeth. Prior to the veneers, I had bonding on those teeth for over 10 years as they came in with brown spots. The bonding needed to be redone annually for the most part, and they were slightly yellowed and duller than the rest of my teeth, but I was accustomed to them and not overly self conscious of my smile. I felt almost pressed by my dentist to get veneers but he only pushed the pros (mostly cosmetic). I gave in, sadly without doing much research, and since having them I completely regret it. I wish I had done more research to fully understand what the procedure entailed and the impact that it would have on my life.

I feel like I can't eat anything without worrying that they're going to come off or crack. I used to eat apples almost daily as well as celery, baby carrots, and other veggies you bite into. I've began to cut up my apples and it's been OK but I can't help but think that I'm going to have to do that for the REST OF MY LIFE. I'm only 26 years old. I also used to eat sandwiches but now I wonder that if the bread isn't soft enough will I crack my veneer? What if I want a sandwich on ciabatta bread or a hero, or what if I want a slice of pizza? I feel like those are no longer options and I hate that my entire life and eating habits have to change. What can you really eat with veneers?

On top of all of that, I'm moving to London in less than six months and I'm worried something will happen to them while I'm over there. My dentist removed a significant portion of my front teeth prior to applying the veneer and not only will they look ridiculous if the veneers were to fall off, but the underlying tooth is extremely sensitive (he removed the enamel as well). What do you do if one comes off? What if you're on vacation? Is there a temporary solution if you're not near a dentist?

I appreciate any help/advice anyone can give me along with how long you've had your veneers and any problems you've encountered and how they've been resolved. THANK YOU!!

I'm in the middle of the process, i got my teeth shaved and now waiting for the veneers for my front 7 teeth! I regret so much, i was not aware that so much of your own teeth will be removed! I've made the biggest mistake, I wish I didn't do it! I'm terrified, what can I do??? Please share
I know that feeling! At this point though there's really nothing you can do except to get the veneers. I've had mine just over a year and they are still in tact. I worry sometimes but I can generally eat what I'd like now and am more comfortable with them. I still won't bite into an apple (only very rarely if it's really the only option I have) and I try not to rip at hard breads, etc. with my front teeth. Also, just make sure you wear your night guards while you're sleeping as often as you can. It just gives a little extra peace of mind that you won't grind them in your sleep. On the plus side, wearing them also keeps your teeth straight! Just trying to see the silver lining... Anyway, I hope it works out for you! Try to relax. You eventually get used to them and worry less.
I wish I never got veneers as well, I got four composite veneers at the done about eight years as I'm missing my front teeth and teeth moved around to close the gap which resulted in small gapped teeth. They were done as part of my dental work and I wasn't aware they strip down your teeth before applying them. I was being hopeful that maybe my teeth will go back to how they were but the more I read, the less I see that being possible. They are so expensive as well. My dentist said that could cap them if they fell off but I don't fancy getting my teeth shaved down further as my teeth are small to begin with. My veneers have worn down quite a bit but still look acceptable but I dread the day they need replacing

My dentist told me about them and continued to "sell" them until I finally agreed.