I Got Veneers and I Feel Like It's Affecting my Whole Life, and Not in a Good Way - Melville, NY

I got veneers on my upper front 2 teeth. Prior to...

I got veneers on my upper front 2 teeth. Prior to the veneers, I had bonding on those teeth for over 10 years as they came in with brown spots. The bonding needed to be redone annually for the most part, and they were slightly yellowed and duller than the rest of my teeth, but I was accustomed to them and not overly self conscious of my smile. I felt almost pressed by my dentist to get veneers but he only pushed the pros (mostly cosmetic). I gave in, sadly without doing much research, and since having them I completely regret it. I wish I had done more research to fully understand what the procedure entailed and the impact that it would have on my life.

I feel like I can't eat anything without worrying that they're going to come off or crack. I used to eat apples almost daily as well as celery, baby carrots, and other veggies you bite into. I've began to cut up my apples and it's been OK but I can't help but think that I'm going to have to do that for the REST OF MY LIFE. I'm only 26 years old. I also used to eat sandwiches but now I wonder that if the bread isn't soft enough will I crack my veneer? What if I want a sandwich on ciabatta bread or a hero, or what if I want a slice of pizza? I feel like those are no longer options and I hate that my entire life and eating habits have to change. What can you really eat with veneers?

On top of all of that, I'm moving to London in less than six months and I'm worried something will happen to them while I'm over there. My dentist removed a significant portion of my front teeth prior to applying the veneer and not only will they look ridiculous if the veneers were to fall off, but the underlying tooth is extremely sensitive (he removed the enamel as well). What do you do if one comes off? What if you're on vacation? Is there a temporary solution if you're not near a dentist?

I appreciate any help/advice anyone can give me along with how long you've had your veneers and any problems you've encountered and how they've been resolved. THANK YOU!!

My dentist told me about them and continued to "sell" them until I finally agreed.

I'm in the middle of the process, i got my teeth shaved and now waiting for the veneers for my front 7 teeth! I regret so much, i was not aware that so much of your own teeth will be removed! I've made the biggest mistake, I wish I didn't do it! I'm terrified, what can I do??? Please share
I know that feeling! At this point though there's really nothing you can do except to get the veneers. I've had mine just over a year and they are still in tact. I worry sometimes but I can generally eat what I'd like now and am more comfortable with them. I still won't bite into an apple (only very rarely if it's really the only option I have) and I try not to rip at hard breads, etc. with my front teeth. Also, just make sure you wear your night guards while you're sleeping as often as you can. It just gives a little extra peace of mind that you won't grind them in your sleep. On the plus side, wearing them also keeps your teeth straight! Just trying to see the silver lining... Anyway, I hope it works out for you! Try to relax. You eventually get used to them and worry less.
I wish I never got veneers as well, I got four composite veneers at the done about eight years as I'm missing my front teeth and teeth moved around to close the gap which resulted in small gapped teeth. They were done as part of my dental work and I wasn't aware they strip down your teeth before applying them. I was being hopeful that maybe my teeth will go back to how they were but the more I read, the less I see that being possible. They are so expensive as well. My dentist said that could cap them if they fell off but I don't fancy getting my teeth shaved down further as my teeth are small to begin with. My veneers have worn down quite a bit but still look acceptable but I dread the day they need replacing
I understand how you feel! My top 8 teeth have been veneered for the last 5 years. Before that, I also had bonding on those teeth. The bonding chipped and browned and were just yucky looking after all of those years, so I made the decision to buy veneers. I moved in with my parents and took on another job just to afford them. I did months of research looking for the best cosmetic dentist in my area, looking at before and after pictures, and I actually ended up going to the lab that the dentist used for the veneer creation so that I could meet the technician face-to-face. The whole experience was a nightmare. My temporaries cracked off 3 times (taking 3 or 4 teeth off at a time). It is SO painful to have your teeth exposed like that. You cannot eat or drink or walk outside in cold weather. Breathing with your mouth open is painful. One time, they cracked off on a Sunday and the RECEPTIONIST went into the office to glue them back on because the dentist was unreachable. When I finally got the veneers I noticed that a few didn't seem to be placed appropriately. One tooth was sensitive for months, and I just had to stop eating on that side of my mouth. A veneer on one of my front teeth wasn't placed properly and now there's a stain on the edge of the veneer and my actual exposed tooth that my dentist has been unable to remove due to the placement. Three of my front veneers feel like they're starting to move (can't figure out if it's the veneer or the teeth themselves). I've done everything the dentist said to maintain them - I bought the expensive electric toothbrush they recommended, I floss daily, paying extra attention to the gum line, I wear mouth guard to bed. My (new and different) dentist says I have fabulous hygiene and that the veneers appear to be in good shape. Yet every time I travel I get massive anxiety about them falling off (they haven't yet, but like I said they feel loose). I have a feeling I'm going to need to replace them soon, far before the "10 year promise" I was given by my dentist. At 28 years old, I feel like I should be spending my money in other ways. Sorry for the rant. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel your pain and you're not alone. I think in our situation - having the bonding first and for so long - that veneers were probably the best decision at that time. But I would NOT recommend veneers really to anyone except for extreme situations where there are no other options.
Brother had a tooth cracked off playing football. Dentist just bonded new material to it - thirty years ago. Still there. I have veneers on my front two teeth. Only problem I have had is receding gum line which then requires new veneers for looks.
My dentist was always on the cutting edge (retired now). I had veneers put on my top 4 teeth because of grinding one front tooth was shorter than the other. I've had mine for 25 (yes, that was 25) years. I've had no problems and eat whatever I want. I might have been cautious early on. The only worry I had was I wore temps for a couple weeks until the veneers came in so I do remember being cautious because I was going out of town on vacation. No problems. I think they were $450 a tooth and I paid $1200 for 4 (dentist gave me a deal).

I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling very confident in your veneers. Have you actually had any of them crack or fall off, or is it just a dread that they will?

I posted the Q&A below to try to get some answers on what to do if your veneer falls off while you are on vacation (hopefully that doesn't happen to you!!). It usually takes 24-48 hours for the dentists who volunteer on RealSelf to start posting, but it might be a bit longer this time since we are heading into the weekend:

What Should I Do if my Veneer Comes off While I'm on Vacation?

I've only had them for a few weeks and they haven't fallen off or cracked yet, but that's still my fear. I still haven't gotten used to them either and I can feel that my teeth are different. I know I have to accept my decision and learn to live with it but I'm still unsure of how well they will last, what I can eat without knocking them off, and what I'd do if they fell off at a time I couldn't get to a dentist.

Its sounds like you are worrying a lot, and I certainly understand your fear, but the extra worrying won't prevent the veneers from coming off unfortunately. (I'm a worrier too, and sometimes I really wish it resulted in something productive like that, haha!) Do you think if you bought some temp glue to keep on you it would help reduce your fear? At least that way you would know that you could temporarily reattach the veneer until you could get to a dentist.

We have lots of patients that do everything with veneers on as they would with thier natural teeth. I am a little confused why u feel they are so fragile.? Personally I don't bite into hard things I cut and chop.... But if urs were done correctly u should not really have any issues....
I have lumineers and the front tooth veneer cracked in half after biting down on a frozen chocolate bar. I called the dentist right away and he was out of town. I went to another dentist in town and he glued the piece back in place the next day but had to wait for my regular dentist to come back and have another veneer made. I don't like mine and would like to have them removed but feel like I have wasted 6,000.00.
Don't worry about. Those veneers may yellow, wear a little bit, but under there are your real teeth - on roots.