Should Have Known Better - Melville, NY

Only one week out and will not bore you with the...

Only one week out and will not bore you with the details but I'm embarrassed that I did not do more research. I have to say that one side of my face and neck looks wonderful but from day one I saw a significant difference between the two sides of my face. I am a medical professional and well aware of anatomical asymmetry but too tight is too tight and my left side was pulled much too tight and all my surgeon would say is that he doesn't know what to tell me. I am so sorry I had this done. Will repost in a week with pictures. I'd also like to know if there is anyone who is satisfied after a number of years.

Photos post-op day 10

Forgot this one.

If I can save one person.....

I used this doctor after hearing from an acquaintance that she had seen beautiful work done by him. I was apprehensive since he is an ENT and not a plastic surgeon but I suspended my usually good judgment and now regret it. My face looks even worse than it did two days ago and I cannot imagine how I can return to work looking this way. Especially since I work in a hospital. During the surgery I was asked if I wanted the procedure stopped because I was, in fact, tapping my foot to the music playing in the "O.R." (and I use this term very loosely) and was told my tapping was distracting. I stopped tapping and wondered even then if this would be a "blame the patient" scenario if the results were not good. The results so far are horrendous, the scars forming behind my left ear look as though done by someone totally inept and untrained but the heartbreak is how bad the discomfort and disfigurement has thus far been. I don't go in for hyperbole but if I can prevent one person from wasting their time and money, if I can prevent one person from the total disappointment and trauma this experience has been for me, at least it had some purpose. No one buys into this with anything but the highest expectations and confidence, not in the "Lifestyle Lift" scam artists, but in the person who swore to "first do no harm".
I will add more pics in a day or so but for now, the left side of my face remains disfigured, I have a double chin on one side and my brain needs a rest from all of this.

More important

I have had new issues the past two nights that far surpass anything esthetic. What else could I do at 6 am while I wait to contact LSL? So here I am. Trying not to panic.
I contacted the LSL office yesterday as I had been awakened at 3 a.m. with incredible discomfort in my upper neck that made me feel as though I was choking and unable to swallow. I was impressed with how quickly the message was sent and Dr. Madnani got back to me. He is aware that I am posting here but I choose to believe the two things are not related. He gave me some suggestions (ditch the compression garment and ice before bedtime) which I followed to the letter last night. Had a busy day yesterday, iced my neck and went to sleep. Was awakened at 1, same issue but worse...spent three hours trying to alleviate the pain. Everything felt pulled so tightly I thought I'd suffocate. After walking around and applying warm compresses this time I was able to sleep for a couple of hours until it occurred again at 6. I called the LSL number, thinking I could leave a message, but all I got was Debbie Boone singing in my ear. So here I am. Waiting until the office opens and praying. If anyone is still reading this, has anyone experienced this? I am 14 days post op. Thanks.

OMG!

I am readying myself for my return to work tomorrow but I wanted to thank everyone for their support. I did contact LL yesterday morning and Dr. Madnani did call me back within a very reasonable time with a suggestion for medication and reassurance that this had occurred with another patient who, ultimately, had a good result. He suggested we touch base again Friday. I took Ibuprofen before bedtime and again at 4 a.m. and had a reasonably good nights sleep. This morning I received a call from the office manager who suggested I come in to see Dr. Madnani. I first declined but then reconsidered since I wanted him to check the tightness I was experiencing before returning to a busy work schedule.
I thought this was a very positive step toward possibly resolving the issues pertaining to my perception (and I've had this face for a number of years now) that the left side of my face has a very "done" look. (Once ascertaining that this incredibly tight feeling I've been experiencing when asleep is a normal process during the healing phase.) Dr. Madani walked in, stared at me and said "what can I do for you?" I explained that I'd been invited but it really went down hill from there. From across the room he told me things were fine. He finally did a tactile examination of my neck and, after prompting, agreed the tightness would loosen and the hard lump under my chin was a muscle. I did not, at this time, bring up the fact that the fat grafting under my eyes was already gone. Can you imagine? I am now told that results would not be evident in two months but in 6.
For right now, I will put this aside. I made a bad decision based on expediency.
If you want good customer/patient relations, this is not the place. If you want defensiveness, you'd be satisfied. What I've said to my friends who were contemplating walking down this same road is ABSOLUTELY NOT!
In the grand scheme of things....I will go to work tomorrow and this will all be put into perspective. Thank you for providing this forum. I will keep you updated.

4 weeks as promised

So... I am four weeks out and I've added a lot of pictures because they are worth more than a thousand words, I'm a lousy photographer and no one else is home right now. I am still experiencing a lot of discomfort......feeling as though I have a rubber band around my neck. The sensation is one of pulling on my ears and burning across my upper throat. The irony is that I now have a double chin that I never had before and seems to have been surgically created. Aside from the esthetic failure, the more I reflect on my overall experience before, during and after this procedure, the more I am certain that this has been an almost wholly negative enterprise. I don't know what possessed me. I would not go to a hair salon that could only perform one haircut...why would I go to a surgeon who could only use one technique regardless of my age, facial contour or esthetic need?? Yes you can choose one from column A or one from column B add ons like choosing options for a car..... but there is no artistry here. Poor, poor choice.
And I will not yet address the more important issues about my overall experience.
I was told that healing takes some time so I would like to post again at 2 months. Until then, good luck to everyone. I would love to read postings and see photos from patients who are more than one year out. I am still grateful for this forum.

Almost six months...

I am nearly at the six months mark and have been patient and more than willing to change my initial evaluation. Sad to say, I have a hole behind my right ear, the positive results (lessened jowling) are greatly diminished to nearly nothing and I can think of very little of a positive nature to report. I do not look deformed. I guess that is positive so I'll take it. But the expense, the lack of oversight, the arrogance of the surgeon and the failure to provide what was promised is a sorry combination that needs to be bumped up to the BBB. Since there is no anesthesia per se, there is no reporting to agencies that monitor ambulatory surgery suites. Hence, no IV sedation and the use of oral medications promoted ad nauseum as a consumer "benefit". Baloney. The cleanliness and adherence to certain standards are left to the discretion of these business people.
One of my many regrets is my failure to insist on the inspection of that "surgical suite". One look and I would have been out of there. I will wait for the one year mark to consider further help from a fully credentialed plastic surgeon. In the meantime, for those of you that are going forward, I wish you the best.. for those of you that are having second thoughts please profit from my mistake and really do your research. There are satisfied customers. I just do not happen to be one of them and, as a nurse, I am embarrassed.
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is too soon to make a final determination in qualifying my experience. Will update as my healing progresses but so far this is where I stand.