Large, Off-centre, Protruding Chin Implant - Melbourne, AU

I was seeking a small augmentation from my Surgeon...

I was seeking a small augmentation from my Surgeon and I ended up with an huge implant which was crooked and the arm of the implant was pushing out my cheek. I couldn't move the muscles in my chin properly and it was twisting my lower lip out of shape. The implant was in for about 12 days before I had another surgeon remove it. However, I still ended up with the permanently stretched skin; That is, it's not as tight on the bone as it was prior to surgery.

Copy of letter to GP

Hospital report noting implant 15mm left of dental midline and entirely anterior to bone

Australia Plastic Surgeon

I sought a minor chin augmentation. Dr Ross affixed my implant entirely on top of my chin rather than around it (according to the hospital report written by the independent removing surgeon), and it was attached to my face 1.5cm off centre (again, according to the hospital report). This resulted in: 1. my lower face being twisted out of shape (increased projection on the left side) and; 2. one of the arms of the implant pushing out my cheek, causing the skin to tent. Further: 1. one side of my lower lip was being pulled down by the implant; 2. the muscles could not function normally on the left side, and; 3. I couldn't open my mouth fully nor smile properly because the implant was so large. Dr Ross did not recognise or take action in relation to all these problems (except for noting the implant as "uneven" and commenting on the restricted muscle movement), instead sending me home for another two weeks without further consultation. He refused to remove the implant despite my pleas. He advised I would have to pay further fees to have it removed in a couple weeks if I so desired, with such arrangements being put in place by his secretary. It is well known that the longer an implant is left it, the further it sets in place and becomes harder to remove, plus the greater the chance post-removal complications developing (ie. permanently stretched skin). Despite the fact the implant was uneven and Dr Ross noting this in his file, he wrote to my GP and said the implant was "certainly sitting in position" and that I was "psychologically upset", and that in time he hoped I would become more "accepting" of the outcome which he felt had achieved my "stated goals". I consulted another surgeon given Dr Ross did not take immediate action to rectify the problems and that surgeon arranged removal of the implant the following working day. This surgeon noted all the problems I was experiencing. The implant was having such a profound effect on me, the second surgeon could not tell if it was causing the movement disorders, or whether I had suffered permanent nerve damage which was preventing the normal function of my lower face and lip . Fortunately, once the implant was removed, it was established the implant was at fault and I had not suffered permanent nerve damage. The wait to find out whether I had suffered permanent nerve damage was, however, excruciating. I hope you find my review and photos helpful.

May want to consider sliding genioplasty, a more natural way.
Dear Dr Jamali Thank you for taking the time to leave me your comment. Kind regards
Oh my! How are you doing now? I am so sorry you went through this.
Thank you for your comment! The skin in my chin didn't go back completely to the way it was pre-surgery. There is some stretching which was created by the implant, even though it was only in for around 12 days. It's just far too expensive for me to treat it with anything, especially as I have the costs of the implant and its removal to deal with. Fortunately it's not so serious as to be deemed 'clinically necessary' to have the further treatment, so removing it ASAP likely saved me from potential serious issues. Every time I look in the mirror though and see my changed chin and scar, I'm reminded of experience. Sometimes I think the effect this has had on me mentally is greater than its lasting physical effect. I would be curious to hear what other Doctors think of what happened to me!
Hi, perhaps it's possible to remove the loose skin created by the chin implant? There might be a procedure that can do that. Or maybe get a new, small chin implant with a different doctor to fill out the skin. Although to be honest, your chin does look really good naturally, so it might be best to leave it alone. I know what you mean about the psychological trauma. I do think the letter written to the GP was strange - can't think why your surgeon didn't intervene immediately and remove the implant immediately. It really did look extremely large and possibly misplaced.
Yes, a small implant to fill the pocket created by the first implant has been suggested, but I can't go through surgery again after the scare of the first experience. Overall I was happy with the way I looked, I just wanted a small change by bringing the lower part of the chin slightly forward. And, well, we can see what I received. I do not understand the letter to the GP and have many comments about that which I cannot share here unfortunately, however it is concerning given the file note written by him states the result "looks uneven", yet he then made those comments to my GP.
Yeah, when he said "psychologically concerned" it implied the stress was down to your own anxiety rather than as a result of anything amiss with your chin, which there clearly was. Did you go to your GP with your concerns (hence the letter?) I understand how you can't go through with surgery again. I'm just sorry about the fact your experience was so bad.
No, there was no contact with my GP at all, until days after that letter was written, when I asked for a referral to another surgeon via telephone. There was no request by my GP for any update. Obviously, the letter intended to deliver a certain message to my GP. Whether there was any intention for that message to influence my GP to act, or not act, in a certain way, can only be determined by the readers interpretation of the letter and the surrounding circumstances. I have my own views which I cannot post here unfortunately.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on RealSelf!