Surgery in February, 2011, Unhappy with Results - Massachusetts

I know it's early but I am not happy with my...

I know it's early but I am not happy with my results. I hope I have lots of swelling and this will go down but I still have a 37 inch waist.....my upper stoamch looks like a butt-two folds of skin that come together and the bottom part is flat-great, now I have a muffin top too.

I had lost a signifcant amt of weight (180 lbs) over ten years ago and had 2 pregnancies but I weighed 160 going in so not in bad shape.

The worst part is I have to pay for it for 3 yrs...hopefully after a few more weeks I will be happier and this is swelling-but I am depressed, feel very fat, have an infected belly button and am just miserable. If anyone has any thoughts of encouragement please provide because at this point all I feel is regret.

Adding an update as I am now 7 months post op and...

Adding an update as I am now 7 months post op and being referred to another PS for a revision. My PCP thinks I was "pulled too tight" and need to have another surgery to correct it. I have had pain that never went away and finally had enough. I have stopped seeing my surgeon who claims I am still healing. Honestly, I now regret ever having this done. I work all day and cannot bend to give my 2 and 3 year old baths.

Hi Puggymom, No, still waiting for the referral. I deal each day with pain. I work my entire day in pain-can't stand up straight and now have added back pain from posture issues. I am able to take meds to help when I get home but that is not a solution. I regret this procedure each and every day. Hopefully I will get some surgical relief but nothing is guaranteed. Time shall tell.
Butterfly- did you end up getting a revision? Are you out of pain? I'm hoping life has gotten better for you.
Butterfly, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I can assure you that once you are re-done correctly, you will be happy with this decision. Doesn't make this period of time that you are going through any easier. I am sad that you didn't get what you wanted from the get go. Make sure you let others know that this is not the ps to go to! Telling the truth does not constitute libel or slander.
thank you Linda. I work in medical so of course everyone is telling me to go the legal route for malpractice but right now I just want to have a day with no pain, that is my priority.
Hi Butterfly74 I am 1year3weeks post-op. I still have swelling but only occasional pain in my bellybutton region. Healing was very slow for me. I am a mail carrier on my feet 10 hours a day.I was very tight also still am but I massage religiously morning and nite with palmers lotion. I lay down at nite and massage vigorously for 3-5 minutes. An infected bellybutton at this stage is not normal. What are you doing for it? You could just be a slow healer and need some immune support with vitamin c. Please watch sodium intake because it promotes swelling. Lots of water is important and for gosh sake watch any weight gain!I am just now getting comfortable with my tummy tuck. Its possible some stitching may have come loose which would account for the loose skin on top. Get a second opinion and please try to be positive. This surgery puts your body thru hell! Good luck. I will keep you in my thoughts!
thank you Mail Lady. I don't have an infected belly button anymore, that was at the beginning. Actually, of all of this my belly button looks pretty good! I am very good with sodium intake and water because of my Htn, treated with meds but nonetheless, I am conscious of it. I have lost a couple pounds because I felt like maybe that was the cause-what was left on my sides, but hasn't helped. I await the second opinion and will try the massage-that is something I haven't tried yet. All the best.
Hi Butterfly, just hang in there girl! I've ridden this roller coaster for over a year, still have issues. But honestly,I would do it all again. Not totally happy with my results but at age 61,I can wear a bikini! My 10 year old granddaughter told me Sunday
"gan-gan you have a flat tummy, lucky". Best of luck, keep us posted. Better times are ahead.
Hi folks....I am OK. Ended up not being a seroma, nothing to drain, and I am left with what I am left with. I still have pain and swelling so once they subside I will feel better. Still in the regret stage but hope I will get through that as well. thanks for all the private notes/concerns. I will get around to posting before/after pics too so I can get some input from you guys.
it is too bad that you regret it, i had my tt on the 21st also, i have a nice swollen stomach too, but they say it happens, but i know that it will go down, it just takes time, i'm sure in a few months i will be great, and i'm sure you will too, 2 weeks after surgery is not much time- most of the Dr.'s say don't expect any results until at least 6 weeks plus- be patient- i know how you feel to have a belly that is bigger now than before:)
Hey Buterfly74. I hope your doing okay.
I had my tt on the 21st, it has been almost a week, i do have a lot of swelling but it takes time, but my flabby skin is gone and i have a great new belly button, and its all flat:) my sides are a little muffin looking as well, but within weeks it will all be good, be patient and it will be good:)
That's ALOT of swelling! If you continue to swell you might think about going to the ER and letting a Dr. drain the fluid instead of waiting until Monday. I hope you feel better soon!
I am so sorry to hear this! But am glad that you got an answer to what is going on. Praying things get better from here!
Glad you found the problem. We're all here with you and sending our best wishes! Hang in there and make them get it right!
So I have a seroma and a doozy of one. The Nurse Practitioner was unable to extract anything but she said my "tire" was fluid. I go back Monday again for the surgeon to try. I know my drain came out way to early so this doesnt surprise me. I just hope I am not another 5 inches larger tomorrow-I am worried about splitting my incision as I am so tight right now. More to come!
Butterfly, try to stay calm if possible. Hope you have a support group at home to help you thru this.We would all be there if we could. We are here to give what ever support we can. Sending positive thoughts your way. Let us all know how it goes.
Hope all goes good!
OK Good Luck! Maybe you have drainage Hon that needs to be asprirated as they said. If you have an ethical Dr., and I'm sure you do, he's going to do the right thing to make you happy. Keep us posted!
thanks ladies-I did call and I am being seen today. My waist is 42 inches now, vs 37 yesterday, so something is going on. They said I may have to be aspirated so we will see how that goes. Stay tuned.....
Honey, don't worry and please don't cry,you have a lot of friends out here supporting you! If you have to buy just a few bigger tops or whatever to get you through the transition period, don't worry. That's normal. I weigh 134 lbs. and don't work, but I had to go buy some big sweats and panties 12's to go over my binder. Just be sure to convey all your concerns to your Dr. Don't hesitate to call or go if you are concerned about ANYTHING!
Best wishes and keep us posted!!
Hi ladies-thank you both for your comments. Today, for whatever reason, is a crying day of regret for me. I know, all normal. I go back to work next week although I have been working from home, but finding it hard to find any suits that I can even fit in-the thought of going to buy larger sizes is dreadful. And the topping on the cake is I got my period. When it rains it pours....thanks again. I am going to take some pics to add to my profile so I can try to compare to others.
Butterfly, so sorry you are having regrets. I got my period at day 5 postop, it was a real pain! If you are like me, you swell with that too which makes matters worse. I wore my husbands sweats and my pj pants for about 3 weeks before my swelling went down. Do you have any suits that you could move the button over to give you the room you need for the swelling? or go to Walmart/Target and buy an inexpensive elastic waist skirt and wear a loose top over it. It might not be the outfit you want to wear, but you'll find something. Best wishes that your recovery gets easier.
Butterfly, I am only 5 weeks post op. You and I still don't know what our real bodies will look like from what I've read. We're suupposed to shrink more from what I hear. Keep us posted! Would love to hear of any changes.
Hi Linda. I have posted some 7 week post op pics. Just click on my picture the see my review.
Hi I had my TT Feb 4th also had a panniculectomy (stomach skin removal)along with lipo of my hips and thighs. I'm not going through what you are going through and am so sorry you are unhappy.

Right after the surgery my stomach was gone. Not perfectly flat, but definitely a big difference. My surgeon said she removed 5lbs. I think your surgeon did a different type of TT where you have a vertical scar, along with the horizontal scar. My surgeon didn't do that type because she said "even though the results will be better (a flatter stomach) you will have that scar".

Right now my pain from my TT is gone, but I still have pain in my thighs from the lipo. My belly button also got infected even though I was taking antibiotics. What I did for that was the following and it worked great: Wash out belly button with a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol - let dry. Then wash belly button out with a Q-tip soaked in peroxide - let dry. Apply triple antibiotic to a gauze strip and put deep inside belly button and place a piece of tape over it so it stays in. Been doing it for past 5 days and infection is almost gone.

I also bought a corset like garment before the surgery and showed my doctor and she said it was perfect. I wear it along with a girdle and you can really see the results. I do have before and after pics if interested.

Good luck and make sure to keep your compression garments on!