A Big Mistake - Massachusetts, MA

Loved the idea that that Sculptra provided a...

Loved the idea that that Sculptra provided a gradual improvement and that it lasted 2 years. My plastic surgeon (Harvard University Board Certified) is very conservative so I did not do a thorough research. Had I done so, I would have read about the huge number of serious issues occurring with this product that can rear their ugly faces for years to come. I am presently struggling with the incredibly difficult decision as to whether or not to subject myself to steroid treatments to alleviate the inflammation. I wish I had never ever heard of Sculptra!

Hi, If my tragic experience means anything, I would not do steroids. From what I have been told, the inflammation may be coming from an atypical infection of some sort. Something that normally wouldnt bother you but with a device, it can snuggle in to create a biofilm. An antibiotic such as minocycline should have been given to me at the beginning and for a long time. I was given saline injections, and steroid injections, and medrol dose packs with very little antibiotic coverage. the result was a disaster. if you are early in the process your immune system may be the only thing keeping a biofilm infection from setting up house in your face. once it is there (as in my case) it is considered chronic and very "difficult to manage". Here I am at 5 years post sculptra and I am back on antibiotics. It is my understanding that because of the crystillinity, particle size (surface area to volume ratio) and other variables, that while the cosmetic improvement might last 2 years or more, the device remains in the tissue for many many years. I have it in biopsy at 3 years and have not had a biopsy recently but I am sure it remains. my suggestion is plaquinel and minocycline. Basically options I was not offered until I came under the care of a rheumatologist and an infectous disease Dr. Now I am consulting with an integrative medicine specialist and am supplementing with things that are supposed to help with bioflim infections. So unless you live in a sterile bubble, anyone who has had sculptra injected in their face remains at risk for biofilm infections. Good Luck and Best Wishes.
What a nightmare! I have never heard of a biofilm infection and will definitely research it. I have been on Doxycycline for 6 months and am told I should continue for up to a year. (I hate being on an antibiotic for such an extended period of time and am taking probiotics daily to help minimize the damage). As of now, I have not felt any improvement .Please keep me updated on your treatment and progress. I am so very sorry you are going through this.

I would love it if you would fill us in a bit more on what is going on specifically for you and what areas you had treated.

Had mini face lift several years ago and very happy with the results. Very conservative.