Tummy Tuck/lipo to Flank and Hernia Repair - Maryland

I've always been self conscious of my tummy...

I've always been self conscious of my tummy but managed to hide it pretty well in clothes. After having two wonderful children, I was left with 2 hernias ( umbililical and epigastric) and it became clear, I needed them repaired. I was able to ignore them for years but since turning 40, they appeared to be getting larger. I completed my first triathlon last August and I was shocked at how I looked in pictures...as I was crossing the finish line and smiling ear to ear...I had this bulging, awful tummy! There I was in the best shape I will ever be in and my tummy looked horrible. After finding out that the hernia repairs were easier to fix during a tummy tuck, I made my decision. I need abdominal surgery anyway and the downtime is the same! I signed up for my next triathalon in may, but this surgery is happening first!

Tomorrow is my big day! I'm nervous but more...

Tomorrow is my big day! I'm nervous but more eager to see how this is going to go. As a nurse, I'm not used to being a patient. I'm the one who is the caregiver, not receiver. I think this will be the worst part, especially for my family. My kids have been told what to expect but we'll see. Went to Target and bought a few new games, puzzles, and crafts for them to work on over the weekend. Stocked up on groceries and plan on lots of crock pot meals. Guess I will eat light today and drink lots of fluids to prevent nausea tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Well...fast forward 2 1/2 weeks and here we are. ...

Well...fast forward 2 1/2 weeks and here we are. I am feeling great about my results and not regretting anything. I will be honest, if I had posted any earlier, I wouldn't have said that. It is true what I've read...the first week is an emotional roller coaster and the second week is a 'what have I done?' feeling. Now, I'm able to walk in the neighborhood for exercise, my swelling is disappearing daily, and my incision looks amazing!
My PS is obviously a fantastic surgeon so that is great. I'm not able to forgive him, tho, for being so unavailable when I was most in need. The first few days were really bad (pain pump not working, not able to eat, scared to death, and constipated). He was totally unhelpful. Crazy but true...he has yet to see me. I won't see him until 4 weeks post op. I can't believe a surgeon wouldn't want to see his patient for an entire month after such involved surgery. I've only seen the nurse.
As far as energy level, it's coming back more each day. I wear my binder still with only small breaks. My abdomen is flatter than its been since my 20's. I tried on my bikini and I felt great...and I'm still swollen! I'm thrilled to think how it'll look in a few months.
It's been a wild experience and it's not over yet...but I feel happy and confident I made the right decision. Worth it!!!!
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Very skilled surgeon. Very happy with results. Problem is, he is very uninvolved after surgery. Never spoke to me or my husband after surgery. I called him twice during the post-op period with problems. Took him more than 6-7 hours to return my calls and he was unable to help me. Won't even see him until I'm 4 weeks post op. Wish his bedside manor was as remarkable as his surgical skills! Guess you can't have it all.