Tummy Tuck/lipo to Flank and Hernia Repair - Maryland

I've always been self conscious of my tummy...

I've always been self conscious of my tummy but managed to hide it pretty well in clothes. After having two wonderful children, I was left with 2 hernias ( umbililical and epigastric) and it became clear, I needed them repaired. I was able to ignore them for years but since turning 40, they appeared to be getting larger. I completed my first triathlon last August and I was shocked at how I looked in pictures...as I was crossing the finish line and smiling ear to ear...I had this bulging, awful tummy! There I was in the best shape I will ever be in and my tummy looked horrible. After finding out that the hernia repairs were easier to fix during a tummy tuck, I made my decision. I need abdominal surgery anyway and the downtime is the same! I signed up for my next triathalon in may, but this surgery is happening first!

Welcome!  Your day is almost here and I am very excited for you.  I look forward to following your journey and will be watching for your updates.

Tomorrow is my big day! I'm nervous but more...

Tomorrow is my big day! I'm nervous but more eager to see how this is going to go. As a nurse, I'm not used to being a patient. I'm the one who is the caregiver, not receiver. I think this will be the worst part, especially for my family. My kids have been told what to expect but we'll see. Went to Target and bought a few new games, puzzles, and crafts for them to work on over the weekend. Stocked up on groceries and plan on lots of crock pot meals. Guess I will eat light today and drink lots of fluids to prevent nausea tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Hi mominMD! We had our surgeries on the same day. Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing! Read your post, I'm still sitting around, doing nothing. Hubby travels next week, so I will be back in the swing of things whether it's good or not?.. Hope you get back to feeling like you soon!
It's been three weeks for me and I just started on the treadmil but could only do 20mins on level 2. I just didn't want to over do it! I feel much better but at times I stand up but can't stand all the way up straight and i feel sore all over. I think to myself this was not worth it. My friend and I went to the mall and every bikini I tried on my scars hung out in one way or another. Guess I'll stick with a one piece. Just really let down by the whole process and my belly button is a mess! Plus before I'd wear a bikini and now no way. And boy do i miss a bath or relaxin in my hot tub. Oh well! Lesson learned
Hope you are feeling good. Got my drains out, yahoo. Not feeling that great tho. I'm driving, shopping, and trying to get on w/ life. But, I totally get the 'let-down' feeling I read I might have.
My husband had to travel this week so I am forced to get back to normal function. I feel so disappointed that I'm having a hard time with that! I went to the grocery store, to school, and to basketball and I feel like crap. By the time we got home, I hurt all over. Not just a little...but the kind of pain you can't ignore. I was short tempered w/ my kids and dog. I feel kinda freaked out how long recovery is really taking. I'm not quite 2 weeks post op and I never acknowledged to myself that I would be feeling this bad so far out from surgery. I just want to be me again. Maybe a pudgy tummy wasn't so bad.
Please tell me it gets better! I never had plastic surgery and I'm concerned I never should have. It just hurts and sucks and I don't feel like me.
Thanks for listening. Your posts have been so helpful!

Well...fast forward 2 1/2 weeks and here we are. ...

Well...fast forward 2 1/2 weeks and here we are. I am feeling great about my results and not regretting anything. I will be honest, if I had posted any earlier, I wouldn't have said that. It is true what I've read...the first week is an emotional roller coaster and the second week is a 'what have I done?' feeling. Now, I'm able to walk in the neighborhood for exercise, my swelling is disappearing daily, and my incision looks amazing!
My PS is obviously a fantastic surgeon so that is great. I'm not able to forgive him, tho, for being so unavailable when I was most in need. The first few days were really bad (pain pump not working, not able to eat, scared to death, and constipated). He was totally unhelpful. Crazy but true...he has yet to see me. I won't see him until 4 weeks post op. I can't believe a surgeon wouldn't want to see his patient for an entire month after such involved surgery. I've only seen the nurse.
As far as energy level, it's coming back more each day. I wear my binder still with only small breaks. My abdomen is flatter than its been since my 20's. I tried on my bikini and I felt great...and I'm still swollen! I'm thrilled to think how it'll look in a few months.
It's been a wild experience and it's not over yet...but I feel happy and confident I made the right decision. Worth it!!!!
Hi Zoomzoom. It's great to hear from someone who had surgery the same day. Read your post and saw your pics. You look great!!! Made me think I should've done my boobs too. Sounds like we had a similar post op period. I had some serious ups and downs, but I'm finally thru the woods. The pain is no joke! I had flank lipo as well- that pain still kicks my butt. It's bruising like I've never felt. Anyway, took a 20 min walk in the neighborhood yesterday and it felt fabulous. I think that is the key to feeling normal. Gonna try to do more walks this week. Also, the glue that was on my incision has peeled off and I can't believe how great it looks underneath! Did you have glue? It was so gross looking I thought it was what my incision was gonna look like...but wow! I keep showing it to my husband (and he's officially had enough). My confidence in my body increases every day now. It's amazing how all those years I worked out and it never changed my loose tummy. Now, in the span of less than 2 1/2 weeks, my tummy is flat. My body finally looks proportioned! Yahoo!
Good luck w/ your hubby gone. Mine was gone last week...it was rough at first but got easier every day. You'll do great :)
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Very skilled surgeon. Very happy with results. Problem is, he is very uninvolved after surgery. Never spoke to me or my husband after surgery. I called him twice during the post-op period with problems. Took him more than 6-7 hours to return my calls and he was unable to help me. Won't even see him until I'm 4 weeks post op. Wish his bedside manor was as remarkable as his surgical skills! Guess you can't have it all.