Third Day of Invisalign Treatment - Maryland

It's only my third day of treatment, but I...

It's only my third day of treatment, but I wanted to echo some of the thoughts in other reviews about the initial surprise.

First, Invisalign is more noticeable than I expected. If you don't really look at my teeth, and are standing some distance away, then you wouldn't notice (unlike metal braces). However, if you do look, well the attachments are visible (kind of strange looking and jagged) lumps on my teeth and the clear tray tends to fill with saliva and have little air bubbles in it, particularly around the attachment lumps, and is visible. It generally looks like braces lite, but clearly something orthodontic is happening. Invisalign is not something to do immediately before a big event, such as a conference where you plan to present or meet many new people, a time when you are about to start dating again after a long time away, or a much anticipated vacation. Choose a time when you are ok with getting used to having something on your teeth.

Second, it does hurt. "Pressure" doesn't fully capture it. It's not that different from braces in this aspect.

Third, at the beginning they are hard to remove, and very inconvenient. Lunchtime at work is suddenly complicated. It's embarrassing to pull them out in the bathroom at work because there is a lot of saliva that trails out with the trays. On the plus side, it does help you go on a diet. Snacking is far less appealing.

Finally, the lisp is embarrassing, especially at work. You might feel the need to explain it to people as you suddenly sound like an 8 year old. You might need to take them out when you have a big meeting or phone call. They say this will get better over the first week, we'll see but I really hope so.

The number one surprise to me were the attachments. I had no idea what they would look and feel like, and had only anticipated the clear retainer like tray, which is all my orthodontist showed me. In reality, the attachments account for about 50% of the discomfort and embarrassment, and you never see them or hear much about them ahead of time.

So the message is: yes, I think it will be worth it if the projectes results are obtained, yes it is likely the best option, however it is NOT as invisible and non-invasive as they say. It's a lot more like having braces than I expected.

I'm currently in my 10th month of treatment,...

I'm currently in my 10th month of treatment, with a little over 3 months to go. I'm very happy with the results! My teeth have moved dramatically, and are very close to the projected results from the simulation model they provided. It has definitely been worth it. It really surprised me that the pressure in my mouth reduced and my bite improves tremendously as my teeth straightened- it feels much better.

That said, yes Inviaslign is uncomfortable and something that I am always aware of, and sort of have to plan around. Aesthetically it's noticeable but not terrible- some people actually don't notice, most people realize that it's Invisalign and they "get it," but then there are some people who apparently have not heard of Invisalign and seem to think that I am suffering from some strange, exotic adult orthodontic procedure, and they react with mild embarrassment and curiosity. This can be a bit annoying.

Anyway, the lisp goes away quickly, but the pain/discomfort continues for the first couple of days each time you switch to a new aligner. I did become callous to taking them out and putting them back in, and it stopped bothering me if someone else might see... The biggest problem at this point is the inconvenience, especially if I'm somewhere (like an outdoor festival) where I want to eat but there's not really any running water- I wind up either not wearing them for several hours or not eating, and neither solution is satisfying. Wine and coffee, and other thick sugary beverages, also pose problems. But the payoff is that my teeth are almost perfect...

So overall I would say do it, especially if you (like me) would never get regular braces but need to straighten your teeth. Good luck!

I recommend seeing a preferred Invisalign provider for the extra training they receive.

I'm so glad that I found this site. I'm 66 and my invisalign's will be arriving next month. Thanks to the postings here I won't have any real surprises. I know exactly what to expect. Visibility, discomfort, and a lisp. I've also learned to drink my hour long morning coffee with a straw and practice removing the device with a napkin at home before attempting to eat in public. Those little disposable brushes will have a permanent place in my purse, along with tissues, for eating out. My dentist knows his limitations and wisely referred me to an orthodontist for the invisalign's. Hopefully, all will go well.
It's really great that so many people are posting on here, as our individual experiences of Invisalign are all different. It's very useful for anyone considering Invisalign to know that it may not necessarily be as 'invisible' as the promotional literature promises, as the post above highlights and so do many others. But for a more meaningful review, prospective Invisalign customers MUST read reviews from people who are a great deal further along in their course of treatment. Three days in, even three weeks in (but not three months :( ) I was delighted and excited about the future outcome. It's a very different story now. I'll stress on here as I have on every other posting I've made: make sure you're seeing an ORTHODONTIST and not a DENTIST. Invisalign really does seem like the promised land as far as straightening your teeth goes, but you need a practitioner who really understands how teeth move. He (or she) will be unlikely to recommend a system which will not achieve the desired result, and even if he insists you need traditional braces, which you might find disappointing and off-putting, at least you won't waste time and money chasing some spurious, promo-movie promised result which has no chance of happening in real life. 1235anon, I wish you all the success in the world with this. Don't let my rant scare you - the lisp DOES go, you get much more skilled at taking them out, you'll even get the knack of taking them out behind a napkin if you absolutely have to (with TEN attachments!), and you get used to the FEEL of the attachments, and even learn to live with the look of them. I bit my mouth eating SO many times when I first had them, but you DO get used to all of it. Like you say, you feel willing to put up with all of that for the promised result. Just make sure you're really likely to get it.
Guess you I won't have to worry about the lisp since I kind of already have one. haha
Welcome to RealSelf. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Invisalign. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress!