Cellulaze June 1 - Discouraged - Maryland

Found this forum while trying to find some...

Found this forum while trying to find some encouragement and answers after having the Cellulaze procedure on 6/1 - seems like the right place. After The Today Show highlighted this procedure, I made a beeline to the nearest qualified Dr. and he agreed I was an ideal candidate - 39 years old, healthy weight, good eating and exercise habits and he was sure he could eliminate the cellulite that has kept me out of a swimsuit in public for decades. My cellulite is along the back and outside of my thighs. I had been to a couple other consults before Cellulaze was approved and those Drs. recommended expensive, painful procedures that required a minimum of 8 weeks recovery and would not change the appearance of the skin. This seemed like the perfect solution.

For whatever reason, I told nobody except my husband about this.

During my consult, I explained to the Dr. that I have a triathlon coming up and needed minimal downtime in order to train - or would have to wait until the Fall. He felt I would need to take a week off from training – maybe two.

The procedure itself was as expected and took about 3 hours with minimal pain/discomfort. It was done on a Friday morning and I expected to go back to work Monday, but didn’t go back until Tuesday.

Two and a half weeks later, the pain and numbness are agonizing (I have been taking tylenol/advil and my pain threshold is high), there are sharp twinges of pain, I am still in the compression garment, and haven't been able to work out (although I tried a short slow run). It hurts to sit or get out of bed and it feels like I have 25 lb sand bags tied to my thighs. My weight is up and my mood is down. My follow up appointment isn't until 6/25 - but I have called the office about the pain and numbness and was told that "everyone heals differently". I have large areas that feel hard and they said it could be scar tissue forming and recommended that I massage the hard areas using cocoa butter. The idea of having my legs full of scar tissue is the scariest thing to me. There is still some bruising, but the swelling has subsided. Now that the swelling has subsided, it seems there is no improvement at all in my cellulite.

So, I am discouraged. I know there are others who had longer than expected recoveries and results that were less significant than expected. My hope is to find others that felt similarly early on and have since realized good results and can reassure me to just be patient – patience is not one of my strengths.

Hopefully, my follow up appointment will be reassuring too. The Dr. took before pictures and maybe I need to see them alongside current pictures to realize a difference. Sadly, there is still no way these thighs can be exposed to the general public!

My husband shrugs and says "you tried it and it didn't work, no big deal"...this is his way of being supportive, but I feel like I wasted money and time, plus dealing with the pain and lack of results is disheartening.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks LaurelC for your response. As I mentioned,...

Thanks LaurelC for your response. As I mentioned, patience is not one of my strengths. I really bought into the idea that recovery would be fairly quick and that I would be back to my workouts (without extreme pain) in a couple of weeks. It’s been more than 4 weeks now. Otherwise, I would have waited until December to have this procedure. Plus, I have zero improvement, which makes it all the more frustrating because if I am going to be in this much pain, I should have something to show for it!

Here is my update:

I went back to the Dr. last Monday and expressed my concerns. Mainly that it doesn’t seem like there is any improvement in my cellulite, I am still have pain and numbness, the large hard areas, and that there still seems to be extensive swelling and bruising.

In response to the fact that my “dimples” – particularly the two deep ones in each leg – are still there, he indicated that it could take up to three months to see an improvement. It seems I would see SOME improvement – especially based on others’ reviews and the basic idea behind this procedure that they cut the bands that trap the fat and, once released, the appearance of cellulite diminishes. So, I still don’t think that Cellulaze worked for me or was done correctly, but am trying to remain hopeful. He wants to see me again next week and will continue to monitor me and will take pictures again at three months. He is already talking about a “touch-up” procedure, which I am not sure I should do if it wasn’t effective or done right the first time. It would cost additional money and would mean another round of recovery. He did say I could stop wearing the compression garment finally, but I feel more comfortable in Under Armour compression pants. I wonder if that is much different from Spanx?

As for the pain, he gave me an additional medication and said it wouldn’t make me “loopy” – well, it does make me “loopy”, so I can’t take it during the day, but have been taking it at night. Over the counter medications don’t seem to relieve the pain – it hurts all the time and especially when I sit or walk/run/cycle/swim/etc. I have no choice but to get back to my work outs to prepare for an upcoming event – yes, I could skip the event but I also need the physical and mental benefits - and it is very painful. I also have sharp pains like electric currents. It’s still like I have 25 lb. bags full of sand attached to my thighs. He said the hard areas were from the melted fat – I thought the fat would drain or be absorbed by my body – but they do seem to be dissipating. And the swelling and bruising seem to be getting better, albeit very slowly. I have been using the Arnica Montana cream and soaking in Epsom salts.

So, I am keeping my rating at “Not Sure” for now. If I am still in pain and/or not seeing results at the three month mark, I will rate Cellulaze as “Not Worth It”! Of course, it’s hard to know if it is a fluke because of my body or something the Doctor did or did not do…but I am still discouraged and disappointed. I may be on the verge of depression because of the constant pain and disappointment.

I am now 8 weeks post procedure and still very...

I am now 8 weeks post procedure and still very discouraged. The doctor is waiting until 3 months to take after pics - but my husband took before pictures and I may have to have him take some to compare - because I do not think there is a bit of improvement. The bruising has faded, but there is still a small amount of swelling.

Also, I am very concerned because I still have tremendous pain and numbness throughout the back of my legs. I think 8 weeks is way too long to still have pain and numbness and am fearing that there is nerve damage or something more serious. I have another follow up appointment next week.

I know this is a new procedure and the doctor has a good reputation, but based on the majority of posters here, it seems something did not go right.

The doctor has already started talking about "touch ups"...can't see myself going through anything like this again because it has not been at all what I "signed up for"...

I am currently at the 4 month mark and have...

I am currently at the 4 month mark and have decided that this was NOT worth it (for me). I have followed up a few times and seen the before pictures - I feel like I have been patient and waited to see the "full results". I now have cellulite AND large bands of fat - two bands on each leg. The MD stated that the bands of fat was where the fat accumulated during the procedure. He has offered to touch up the cellulite - particularly the large dimples that I was most concerned about - and lipo the fat accumulation. He has offered to do this for free - probably because I have shared my disappointment. I also think the offer to retouch for free is an admission that it could have gone better.

My gut reaction is "no way" am I doing this again. The healing time was much longer than I expected - I still have numbness and pain in areas - and I continue to train for various events and need to be able to run/bike/swim/etc. It will be tough to plan down time around these events and I need to work out for my own sanity.

Buuuuut - I am still longing to have cellulite free legs...planning a cruise and really want to wear a swimsuit!

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I follow up with the doctor again in two weeks.