Life On Hold After Botox - Marquette, MI

Pros to botox, at least for me, are zero. Cons are...

Pros to botox, at least for me, are zero. Cons are many. The past month started with a spark to look just a little bit better and ended with a fire of anger! Not sure if I am more angry with myself or the people who administer the drug.

My original motivation was the fact that I recently lost 50 pounds, was ready to get back on the social scene, and just wanted to complete the "looking better" image. The outcome wasn't at all what I hoped for, but turned into somewhat of a nightmare. I ended up with a left eye completely shut, a right eye feeling like it is bulging and headaches. I am told by the doctor who administered it that the length of this could be till the botox wears off.....up to four months from now.

What was one of the biggest weeks of the year for me with personal work achievements, a date I'd been waiting to meet for the last few months become a week of no work and hiding.

It was a realization to be happy with who I am, forehead lines and all. I will become an advocate of botox education, and telling people OUT LOUD what their risks are. Do not put this toxin into your body is a place to start.
I wish someone would have sat me down and said look these are the risks. I know that we are responsible for educating ourselves on a procedure, but seriously how can these professionals not talk to us beforehand. Yes, we sign papers. All this does is release them from any responsibility.
I have lost a few weeks of my life, and don't know how long this will last, because of botox. If I can help even one other person from making this mistake I will.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. That us absolutely awful.

Hi guys - I was injected 22 weeks ago and I am still suffering. I was diagonosed with confirmed vision lost and retina damage directly due to botox along with extreme facial deformities. I can provide this medical documentation to anyone who wishes to see it. I am suing the company that did this to me as I have a doctor now backing me. I have learned some shocking, horrifiying things about Allergan and doctors that will make you furious. I would seriously be on here typing all day long. Just to name a few: 1.) There are NO clinical studies to refect accurate numbers regarding side effects aside from treatment in the glabella area. All other uses are considered "off lable" and there is no data or research to say what possible side effects could occur, how long they could last, or if they are permanent. 2.) The actual number of botox side effects is EXTREMELY UNDER-REPORTED. There is NO obligation on the injectors to report adverse side effects. They report it if they feel like it since there is NO punishment for failing to do so. 3.) Mixing of the botox is NOT monitored in ANY way and mixing it incorrectly can result in a bad reaction. First, did you know that botox only comes in single use vials of 50 - 100 units? These vials are NOT supposed to be used for more than one person. This means that doctors either must pursuade patients to have additional botox to use up the vial, toss out the unused portion, OR double dip and use the botox on multiple patients - aka risking our saftey and exposing us to possible contamination 4.) Botox costs providers $5-$6 per unit... to stretch their profits, doctors frequently over dilute. Want proof?Check out groupon. Did you know that Groupon charges advertisers 50% of their profits? They do. So when you see an ad to get 20 units of botox for $100, this means that if the doctor was properly diluting it, they would not make ONE PENNY. Factor in that groupon is charging the doctors $50 per groupon sold and that would translate to these doctors PAYING $50 and wasting their time every single time a patient comes through the door. Do you really think they are going to do that? Absolutely not. They are over diulting because NOBODY is watching them and they can get away with it. 5.) Injecters can get licensed in just ONE day and they can do their classes ONLINE. I could go on and on and on - I would be more than happy to share with anyone that is interested in hearing also. Feel free to contact me

Yes, I would like to see the documents that you have. I would like to make some effects to at least get back the money I lost through having to take a week off work, prescriptions and a refund.

Though this doesn't speak directly to Botox, in a Q&A posted about fillers one of the doctors gave this explanation about FDA approval that helped me understand this much better, and thought you might want to have the info as well:

"The FDA only approves what a drug or device can be ADVERTISED FOR, but the FDA [and the Canadian equivalent] do not control what a drug or device is used for once it is on the market.

The reason why additional perfectly reasonable indications for drugs and devices are not sought is that it can cost $10,000,000 or more [and take a number of years] to run the studies and deal with the legal hassles in order to be allowed to ADVERTISE a drug or device for a particular purpose, and in a lot of cases it is not worth it to the drug or device company to spend that time and money."

This Q&A might be of interest with your concern about vials:

What Do Doctors Do with the Remaining Botox when They Only Use 10-15 Units from a 50 Unit "Single-unit" Vial of Botox?

As for getting Botox off a Groupon, I personally feel that is an extremely risky way to go. Here are some blogs that address that:

5 Tips for Evaluating Group-Coupon Deals

Bigger Boobs, Smaller Prices -- Thanks, Groupon!

In a Q&A titled "Who can Inject Botox" one of the doctors gave this answer:

"The question really ought to be who should inject Botox.  The laws vary from state to state as to who is allowed to inject and with what amount of supervision, but Botox is a powerful neurotoxin that can cause significant problems that don't readily resolve. As a controlled substance, injectors should be physicians or under the direct supervision of physicians when injecting.  Beware of places where an MD has put their name on a medical spa, but is never seen in person.  These places often are operating under his/her name only, not his/her supervision."

Here is a Q&A that gives insight into training requirements to inject Botox:

Training Required to Inject Botox?

This blog speaks to the importance of researching out a skilled, board certified doctor:

Staggering Differences in Satisfaction Between Board vs. Non-Board Certified Doctors

Hope this info helps some!

never ever have this crap again i now have high blood pressure from this poison.
Dr. Geissler, Marquette Medical Center, administered the botox. Actually it was done by his assistant Laurie. I knew that is was done differently because I was given two shots in the forehead instead of several smaller pricks in the forehead. It is resolving almost 2 months later. My eye is still about 30% abnormal.
i had a similar experience as you. had my cosmetic botox poison in oct. 2012 still suffering. was never told by the doctor of any possible side effects.the fda knows about this toxin. and they still allow it to be administered. its criminal.

What office? So we know not to go there! Thanks.

I am so sorry to hear what a negative effect this is having for you. Thank you for stepping forward to share your story. Do you mind me asking where you went to have your injections done and who the injections were performed? (I just mean generally, such as a medi-spa, dentist, dermatologist, etc.)

Plastic surgeon's office in Marquette, a skin care specialist administered the botox, not the doctor. It was done at a medical center.

Thanks for letting us know.

I hope you are feeling a bit better today, and please try to keep in mind that it will wear off, so this is temporary.

Hugs to you!!

Thanks! It is a long road to recovery. At least I returned to work today. With the help of the eye drop prescription my eye opens enough so I can see. It will be a month this Friday since the injection. Can't wait to be my "normal" self again.

I bet! I'm glad to hear you were able to return to work. Keep us updated on how you are doing please.

it was md office. oregon ohio