Ouch! Sleepless in Massachusetts - Marlborough, MA

IPad the procedure done in my derms officers...

iPad the procedure done in my derms officers preventative measure against precancerous cells. The NP told me this would be like a "mild sunburn" and they said most people schedule them on Friday so they can heal over the weekend and return to work. Not so! I am burned beyond my expectation. The treatment was short (10 minutes) with level an and the pain during the procedure was bearable but I don't think I could have done more than 10 minutes. The first day I stayed out of the sun and my face got really red. It hurt and was very sensitive to any light. I had trouble sleeping. Day 2 brought the hurt. My skin was very red and it was obvious I had the worst sunburn ever. I could not sleep again that night as my face was annoyingly painful. Day three brought more red and crusting around my nostrils and between my eyes. Been liberally applying Vaseline to these areas for help. I was in pain and not expecting this bad of a burn called my derm. Spoke with someone who said doc would all me back. Day 4, no call from doc. I waited until 1:30 to call. Someone will all me back. I am in pain and couldn't believe the burn I have (1st degree for sure). The office staff keeps telling me to apply cream and cold compress, DUH. 3:00 and no call from doc. Called again and asked for manager, got NP and told her how I was disappointed in my experience as I was not expecting is level of burn or pain. Also dissatisfied with lack of response (care) from office in not returning my calls. I got mad. She said that my experience was normal and healing would take 6 to 8 days. Why did no one tell me this prior????? No response to this. Today is Day 6. I could not sleep at all last night as my face was itchy and tingly all night. It is peeling, very tight and sensitive. I can't imagine going back to work after this procedure right away. Lucky I have the summer off. I am not happy camper right now and don't know how this will play out but hoping for the best. I will update as the healing occurs......

Thank you for posting the review and pictures.  Oh my I am sorry you are having such a rough time with this recovery.  It definitely takes a couple of weeks to bounce back from this one:(  It sounds so painful!

Hang in there and keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Day 7

I have reached day 7 and my face is peeling like crazy. I kinda feel like a snake shedding its skin. The pain has subsided and now it is just peeling skin hanging off my face that is annoying. I ham back in circulation today (really my first day back) and going about my business. This therapy really requires one full week off as I cannot imagine going to work or in social situations with my face the way it was earlier this week. Really don't know if this has benefited me yet. Only time will tell.
I have had this treatment 10 - 12 times (I have lost count, but its 3 - 4 times over the last 3 years). It is AWFUL, but the results are AMAZING. So.... take what you will from that. I use mine for rosacea and acne. Nothing, NOTHING, else has worked.
I have experience burning to in area of nose. It has been 7 weeks and still bad in a nickel size area...very uncomfortable and red!!??? IDK what to think happened?

Two weeks

I am 2 weeks out and fully recovered. I am not sure this has helped but only time will tell. Looking back I would say that I would go through this again if I knew it worked. I am trusting the derm right now. I only wish this was described more precisely when I signed up for it. I will update again after several months to see if I have any significant results.
I had this procedure yesterday and I totally agree with the doctor totally down playing the pain and recuperation needed! I put on sun block this morning, a hat and attempted to go to the supermarket. I didn't make it too far. I was in extreme pain by the time I reached my car that I had to turn around and go back inside. Funny thing was that it is an extremely overcast day. Im supposed to go back for my second treatment in a month, not sure if I will be going back or not.
I am on day 5 and I am also peeling and very red...Thank God the pain subsided. I had tylenol with codeine left from an elbow injury. I took it for 2 days! I would agree that you need at least a week off. I have missed 1 1/2 days of work, but cannot miss more due to vacations and schedules. I would've liked to have known the potential for severity as well!
I admire your courage to stay with the treatment.
Barbara Bradley

Bedside manner poor, follow up poor, I wish they had told me how this really would happen