150 Pounds of Weight-loss: Extended Abdominoplasty with Public Lift; Panniculectomy

I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 19 months...

I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 19 months (down 150 pounds since 2004). I have been morbidly obese my entire life and I have a huge amount of excess skin. I am one week away from four procedures: extended abdominoplasty with public lift; panniculectomy, buttocks lift and lateral thigh lift.

I'm anxious, but excited to see what the next stage of my weight loss journey looks like.
What a wonderful story/share. Congrats on making the decision to do this. It will undoubtedly be the reward for an amazing weight loss journey. Good for you!!! Can't wait to see the transformation, hope you brave enough to share some pics. Best wishes
Good luck! Can't wait t see ur transformation
best of luck, look forward to awesome results for you. post pics if you can

Adding photos

Wow, congratulations on your weight loss! That is fantastic! So excited for you, can't wait to see your results.
Congratulations on your weight loss! Having these procedures will forever change your life. Best decision I've ever made for myself. Can't wait to see your post op pics :)
Ur surgery is hours away. Good luck. Can't wait t see ur tiny waist

Two more sleeps until the big day

I'm surprisingly calm, haven't taken any of the prescribed Ativan yet, but I think my boyfriend needs to! I'm sure ill need to take it tomorrow night. I'm worried most about the pain and discomfort of recovery. Since I've lost all of this weight, I've become a very active person. I cannot wrap my head around so much downtime.

The plan

On Tuesday, February 4th, I am having four plastic surgical procedures to remove excess skin. This is one of the final stages of my weight loss story that started August 13, 2012 (Dad's birthday) when I started Weight Watchers. The surgery will be about sixhours long and will be in the doctor's surgical suite in
Marina Del Rey.

Immediately after the surgery, I will be in an after-care facility in Santa Monica for two to three days. After that, I will be at the parental recovery
for another 5-7 days. Mom and Dad are leaving for a trip on Feb 14, so
I will then be home

I'll probably be off of work for two or three weeks.

I'm nervous and excited about this next part of my journey but know it will be great after the healing is complete.

I have so much love and support over the past few years of evolution. I've
got the best support team in the business!
Thanks to everyone for their warm wishes. Will check in from the other side when I can.
Good luck tomorrow!
Best wishes to you as you prepare for this life-changing surgery. You have done such an amazing job losing all that weight and you deserve this. You will be in my thoughts. Can't wait to see your results...(((HUGS)))

Pre op butt lift

Forgot to say

I'm 5'2, 130 pounds
I agree with D J W I don't know you but iam thinking of you and wondering how things are going . :)
I dont even know you but I couldnt stop thinking of you today. I cant tell ypu how excited I am for you. Hopeing for pictures soon !! And hope youre resting well.
Good luck

POSTPONED

Surgery has been postponed due to another medical issue. Will be rescheduled soon, hopefully. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes.
oh no. I hope its nothing serious..
Keep us updated. All d best
Oh, postponed -- that must be hard. You get yourself all ready and then have to wait. I am sending good wishes and hope things resolve in a way that makes you happy. We are here for you and look forward to hearing more about your journey. Take care.

Rescheduled for Monday

Fingers crossed it happens!

Now two procedures instead of four

taking a more conservative approach for safety reasons. Disappointing, but wisest way to go.
Congrats on your weight loss! I'll be following your journey :) Good luck!
Congratulations on your successful weight lost! I hope that your surgery went well today!
I can't wait to see your after. Way to go!! You lost sooo much weight. That is truly wonderful.

Day four post-op

Quick update. Leaving after care for parents home. Pain is manageable, moving around on my own well. Day 3 was the worst. Weak, tired, two scary dizzy spells. Had follow-up with dr yesterday, said everything was fine.
We are just DIEING to see pictures of your new belly and hear how youre doing !!!
awesome. post pics when you can

Day four, post-op

Day two and three were the hardest. Tired, weak, almost fainted twice. By the end of day three I was feeling much more like myself. I am recovering at my parents place now, after three wonderful nights at Serenity After Care.
The pain is not bad. I've mostly switched to Tylonol except took the percoset at night. Ambien is my friend. Slept well with that as an assist. Pain has been manageable.

Will probably get drains out Monday. Fingers crossed.

Won't post photos till after drains are out.
Did you lose you weight on weight watchers? You story is amazing, you will do great!
Yes most of it (102 and counting) on WW.
Congrats on being on the last steps on your weight loss journey! You've done an amazing job and now you will look it too. Rest, relax, we are all sending you happy healing thoughts. Stay on top of you pain meds, now is not the time to tough it out. Your body needs to heal and pain slows it down.

Everything is progressing well

Pain is minimal, just managing with Tylonol. Drains are a pain, compression garment is annoying, but I'd better get used to it since it will be around for awhile!

In the morning, I will call the surgeon with the drain log information and see if they are ready to come out. I'm prepared for them to say not yet.

I have great parents who are caring for me. I'm not weak anymore and not overly tired. Using Ambien to help with sleep. Trying to get in a nap per day.

The days my boyfriend visits are liquid gold. He makes every bit of fear and anxiety just disappear while he's here.

I haven't gotten a good look at my torso yet. Being a good girl and leaving the garment on. It seems like I'm still very swollen, like I have no waist, which is odd!
Sounds like you're having good progress in your recovery. Congrats! We all await pics cause you are an inspiration, to be sure. Take care and best wishes for continued good recovery
how about some pictures with your compression garment on :)
Drains should be out today. Will post pic if I can.

Slight communication failure

There's no one in the office today to take out my drains, even though they are ready to come out! Appointment set for tomorrow, 10am.
When you get a chance can you post post op pictures, best of luck in recovering
Sounds like you are making great progress. Thanks for the updates.

Drains out!

Just wearing a long, thin camisole between my skin and the binder. Feels amazing. Will post photo later.
are you pleased with your results?

Eight days post-op

Yes, I'm pleased. I am still swollen, but now that the padding and drains are out, I get a better sense of what the results look like. I don't have a great photo. Every time I try to take a photo, everything looks crooked and the lighting is bad. I will work on some better ones once I get home tomorrow.

Of course, now that my tummy is flatter, I really want to get my legs done. All in good time!

BTW!

It's really frustrating that you can't change your surgery date because it's wrong, due to the postponement I had.
Congratulations! You look great! Dr Stoker is awesome
Congratulations! You look great! Dr Stoker is awesome
awesome!

home alone

I'm home alone. I've spent a lot of time trying on clothing and looking at myself in the mirror.
I am still very swollen and the compression garment adds a reasonable amount of bulk. I tried on the petite 12 jeans and they fit properly.

So no new wardrobe until the swelling goes down and probably until I recover from the upper body work, which might be the next procedure.

But for now, concentrating on healing from this one!
Wow, you look fantastic!
Congratulations on all your hard work and the transformation! You look wonderful.
I'm so happy for you and you look great!

Follow-up, Day 11 post-op

Steri-strips removed. Stitches from belly button removed. There is scabbing all over the incisions with a little bit of blood oozing. Wearing camisole between me and the compression garment. Doctor took a few pics and said everything is healing fine. Have f/u appointment in three weeks.

Going to go back to work next week, but not work full days.

Recovery has gone so much better than I thought it would. The body is a remarkable thing. I love the result thus far and it's just going to get better with healing and time.
Thanks so much to everyone for their supportive words. It means so much.
So happy to hear you are pleased. You have a TERRIFIC attitude. You are SO RIGHT, time is the GREATEST factor in our healing...and the ONLY one we don't control, lol. Keep up the good healing...HUGS
your scar is healing beautifully! great work on behalf of Dr Stoker I must say. Is there any tips you might wanna pass along with such a success?

More photos - from Doctor

Here's a new set of before and afters

Here's a new set of before and afters

After is taken 11 days post-op
Congratulations on your long successful journey. Go girl!
Thanks!
I am so happy for you. That is an amazing transformation. Congratulations!

Compression garment

Soooo tired of wearing this! And tired of not being able to be active with my regular yoga and hiking! Just a minor pity party this morning and then I was over it.
Wow..,congratulations! What a change
Thanks!

Healing is progressing

I'm anxious to get back to exercising. I'm seeing my weight bounce around all over the place even though I am still on my Weight Watchers 26 points per day plan. I am seeing swelling going down, but I still think my torso looks very square (like I'm missing the contour of a waist). Have f/u next Friday, so will talk to Dr. about that.

Already scheduled second procedure (upper body) for late April.
glad youre doing so well. continued great results to you!
Thank you!
Looking good! Congrats!

One month since surgery

It's exactly one month. I'm not a patient person, so this feel like the longest month I've ever lived.

I'm feeling pretty good, but still experiencing some soreness. It took awhile for sleeping patterns to resume. This morning I'm feeling like crap, but I think it's the time change and a bit of depression about the end of the weekend and heading back to work. I was back to work at the beginning of the third week of recovery.

Swelling is visibly down. Energy is mostly good. I'd say I'm 80% myself.
Wow, one month! You went back to work very soon. Looks like youre doing awesome
I have a desk job, so it's not very physical work. I don't think it was too soon. I felt up to it. Hopefully I didn't mess up anything.
I'm sure you didn't! I just admire your energy. I'm only four days PO and I have a hard time thinking I could be back at the office in two weeks and I'm having a pretty easy recovery. But I probably will, and we know to listen to ourselves, not overdoit! Congrats again, you are a true inspiration.

Tucked in shirt with belt

I cannot even remember the last time I did this.
Just read your story! So inspiring about your weight loss and your body looks fantastic. I'm about seven weeks post op just getting ready to begin working out again. I live in MDR, but my surgeon is in Bev Hills. I also went to Serenity- my saviors. Continued healing and best wishes!
Thanks for sharing your story! Serenity was amazing. I am glad to be in the position to have stayed there for three days after my procedure. I'll take a peek at your profile.
You look amazing! Good for you, and you deserve to tuck that shirt in.

Something I've been thinking about in relation to this type of procedure

If you aren't close to or at your ideal weight, you probably aren't going to be happy with your results. I waited until I was close to goal and I'm glad I waited. I started having consults at around 140 pounds, figuring I would be at about 130 when i had the surgery, and that exactly how it turned out. I'm about five pounds away from my goal of 120 (I'm 5'2). I think it's irresponsible of doctors to recommend these procedures to people who are still very overweight. Not trying to sounds elitist or sizeist but I've seen some other peoples reviews and those who are unhappy with their result still seem to need to lose weight.
ur right ! i agree!
I think it is hard to generalize about what other people ought to do. I had my tummy tuck 12 days ago after a 60-65 pound weight loss that I have maintained for 3 years. It was all due to lifestyle changes -- better eating and a good exercise program. Ideally I would lose 20 or 30 more pounds, but at age 62 it has become very difficult to get the scale to budge. So, I went for the tt, thinking that if I waited to be at my ideal weight I might never get to have it done. The flopping spare tire that was hanging around my lower abdomen made me sad and angry and embarrassed. Now it is gone and I am thrilled. I am very happy for those of you who have managed to achieve your goal weight, but please recognize that what has worked for you may not apply to everyone else. It may be more important to be at a stable weight than at a perfect weight. Congratulations to everyone who has made it to the flat side and best wishes to those of you who are about the take the journey.
Fair enough point. I should have shared what I thought was right for me, not generalized across everyone else's experience.

End of the fifth week follow-up appointment

I had a follow-up appointment on Friday. Dr. Stoker said everything was healing well. He suggested one more week until I return to exercise and wants me to wear the compression garment for another month. I was really surprised at this, to the point where I forgot to ask WHY?!

He said if it was really bothering me I could skip it, but recommended I continue to wear it. I'm not going to question his wisdom, why would I go against his wishes at this point?!

Am I disappointed? Yes. Will I get over it? Already am.
PS: Yes, my ps also agrees we must wear our compression garment for several months! He recommends up to 6 months. However, it can be one of those comfy Fleexzies, which I've been wearing for years just to hide mine! It supports you, but also helps the continued healing and attaching of the skin, all of which help the nerve regeneration, etc. etc.
Thanks! That helps too. I have a few Spanx types things that I think I will switch to on certain occasions.
When I had my pre-op on Monday, my ps reminded me how long to wear the Flexzies. Since I hope to be recovered by June (op is mid-April), so I say to him "oh, I guess I could wear it under a one-piece swim suit..." My ps says "no, silly! You should wear your new bikini! Just wear the Fleexies when you don't wear the bikini" ha ha!!

A few new photos and update

Had a f/u appointment on the 4th, which was about the end of week seven I think. It was actually a pre-op appointment for the next surgery I am doing on the 29th of April, but he looked at the incisions etc. Everything is a-OK. Got permission to stop the compression garment, but I'm still wearing it around the house, just in case.

I'm attaching a picture from last month that also includes my BEFORE pic, and in this case, the before is before I lost 108 pounds, not before the surgery.

I am really struggling with the last four pounds I want to lose. It's really frustrating. I've been at the same weight for the past month or so.

clarification

the before and after picture above: the before is prior to losing weight. The after is after losing weight and the plastic surgery.
You look great! I am also considering my surgery with Dr. Stoker. I need the hanging big tummy removed too and a breast reduction and laser lift. You said your surgery was 12,000.00. Is that correct? I hope so. Please write me, I would appreciate it so much! Thankyou, Karen
Look good my panniculectomy is on the 23rd
U look Awesome!!! I am 1 1/2 wks out from a pannulectomy... Is the camisole to prevent rubbing on the skin from the compression garmet?? I hate wearing it!!! Any tips for it to not bunch up in the back?? My tummy is so itchy... Drives me nuts!! Lol thanks for posting pics!! And the info!!
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

I interviewed several different surgeons but Dr. Stoker was hands down the most qualified and confident. He seemed sincerely excited to work on my case and cares about the final aesthetic more than anyone else I spoke with.