Breast - Yes; Facelift - Not Sure

I had a facelift and am now left with visible...

I had a facelift and am now left with visible scaring and after a year I don't feel like the result was 100% what I wanted. My jawline is not how I expected it to be and that was the reason for my surgery.

I would like to further clairfy my experience here...

I would like to further clairfy my experience here. When I checked no after care/follow up I was referring to the many months after my surgery not hours. The after care at the office after my surgery was exemplary. I had round the clock exceptional nursing care. When I checked the after care box I meant THE OFFICE did not contact me after all the intitial surgery procedures were taken care of. I expected that someone would have called me for a follow up after a couple of months considering that plastic surgery takes many months to heal - changing all the time. In my case I had these terrible ropey painful itchy scars. No one ever called to see how I was doing. It's possible my expectations in that regard were too high. My surgery now was over a year ago.

Update with photo

Now it's been a year and a half since my surgery. My scaring situation has worsened considerably. Here is a photo of what I am talking about. This scarring under my ears are totally 100% visible and are seriously disappointing and ugly. Also the scarring behind my ears is hideous as well. So if I wear my hair up you can see scarring all around my ears front and back. Yuck! I was given to believe the facelift would just get "better and better".
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

I picked up a friend from his office. I wish I had know more doctors beforehand. I have waited a year before posting a review.

Do you have a history of keloiding? Perhaps your body produces excess scar tissue.
No I don't have a history of scarring. I have had several surgeries in my life including a c-section and have no visible scarring. My prior surgeries were not sewn up by professional's in plastic surgery. The scar under my chin from this PS is not even straight and has what appears to be a rip at one end. I think the doctor is at fault for the scarring. Just my opinion though. The most attention, btw, i received from this doctor's office was when they wanted my business. :(
I am so sorry to see the results you're experiencing! There is no question that the type of scarring you have (based on my own facelift) seems way outside of the norm. Have you spoken to another PS about revisions?
Well I have thought many many times about revisions. I am not sure though. I don't want things to get worse. I have watched these scars go from almost invisible to this hideous mess and I am so bitterly disappointed. I am trying to adjust. Probably just wearing my hair down is the best thing. I imagine revision would be expensive and my husband, frankly, has had it with this whole situation.
pgkeegan, I can only imagine the disappointment you are feeling about all of this. Particularly if your husband is not on board, the next steps can be difficult without supporting you in a forward direction. But, on the other hand this not only has to do with your physical well being but emotional well being too. I really urge you to investigate your options with alternate plastic surgeons for opinions. At minimum it's a conversation and consult fee with no commitment. A conversation won't hurt. And if you don't have support on the home front then keep coming back here. I believe there is a solution to your situation that a good PS can find for you that will improve your scars. Please let everyone know how you're doing!
thank you so much. my husband is very supportive, so it's not really that. he was totally ok with the facelift but now that i have these scars and he wants to retire and he thinks I'm beautiful so he doesn't see the point. I am lucky because I can wear my hair over the scars so thank heavens for that, at least. thanks for your kind words.
I'm glad your husband is on the same page then. :) We are two of the lucky ones! In the end, it will be about what makes you feel best regarding all of this. You'll find the right answer going forward for yourself. Let everyone know how you're doing! Good luck.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your results, pg. :( Do you know what kind of facelift you had?

I had what's called a "short scar" (I believe) facelift. After one year i have ropey, tight, itchy, angry looking scars behind my ears. If i wear my hair back you can see them. Underneath my earlobes I have very visible ropey thick scars which are a dead give away for a facelift. The whole idea was subtlety, at least for me. The other thing is on my first visit my "major, number 1" complaint was jowls. I wanted rid of the jowls more than anything. They are still there! Better but still there! :-( And, regarding the scars, in my humble opinion, if a plastic surgeon can't get you out with no scaring --- well what does that say? One thing I should say is he did a good neck. I am happy with the work he did there. But once again, there is a bad scar under my chin!
I feel so sorry for you. I just had a facelift 5 weeks ago and I have no visible scars at all. I think you need to go to another surgeon and get their opinion. I'm sure it can be corrected with the right surgeon. My PS is in NJ very close to Manhattan. He is amazing. Made top doctor many times. I'll give you his name if you want a second opinion.
It sounds like a bit of a tradeoff in that your neck is better and your jowls are somewhat better -- but you have the scars at your ear area. At least you can wear your hair to cover the scar area. Depending on how much the scars bother you, you can consider the revision surgery. It most probably would help a lot if you go to a top surgeon. But I understand not wanting to spend the money and take any more risk. This is a risky surgery unfortunately. I am struggling with whether to do it or not now. Anyway, best wishes.
Hi I just read your reply and I am starting to seek options for revision of these terrible scars. How is your surgery all these months later. I would like to call your doctor and see about an appointment. What is his name. Is he here on realself. Thanks Joyce. I live in Brooklyn.
Hi Joyce, i am beginning to research options for this scarring situation i have. how is your facelift after these months. I would like the name of your doctor if you still would like to provide it and if you are still happy. thanks.