5/24 Revision Rhinoplasty

Hey everybody! I had my Rhinoplasty over a year...

Hey everybody! I had my Rhinoplasty over a year and a half ago. Initially(2 months following the removal of the cast), my nose had a straight bridge along with a defined tip. It had met my expectations for the Rhinoplasty(this had been what was shown to me in the computer imaging). However, with the reduction in swelling and the formation of scar tissue, the nose developed a markedly rounded tip(sort of like a parrot's beak). I'm the only one who's really phased/dismayed by this--everybody else has been saying it looks so natural and they wouldn't change a thing.

So do you think I should get a revision down the road or stick it out with my current nose? I'm afraid that a revision will only worsen my nose( and plus, it's very expensive)--I mean, the scar tissue can be pretty unpredictable. Despite this, I'm glad that I now have a somewhat defined nose whereas before the nose job I had a very hideous nose(atleast by society's standards) that lacked any definition. Perhaps I'm still fixated on my nose because I was often traumatized in grade school-called names like Squidward, pickle face, eagle, and just other unpleasant names. But, a saying that really helped me out was "people with peculiar noses weren't created to blend in but stand out." So, I didn't really think much of my nose through those years and the teasing really died down into high school anyways(maybe the occasional tease but it didn't bother me much...I pretty much came to accept this was my nose and was willing to wait a couple of years to get it done). I had my nose done at 19 and as I previously stated there was a net improvement( I can certainly breathe better than I could before the procedure!)

Thanks for all the insight in advance. I'll get around to posting some pre-op and post-op pictures so that you could better evaluate my situation!

As promised, I'll provide some Pre- Op photos...I...

As promised, I'll provide some Pre- Op photos...I have some of the more recent post op photos on my cell phone which is at charging at the moment. Stay tuned for those!

Well, here's a quick update(I've changed the title...

Well, here's a quick update(I've changed the title to reflect what my new plans are!, I've also added an updated picture of my nose, taken a couple of days ago). My breathing has worsened(I was under the false impression that my breathing had improved mainly because breathing through my nose was practically impossible before I had this done~)-- According to the 2 ENTs I met with since I last posted, there's a significant band of scar tissue pressing against my septum, the interior of the nose is completely scarred, and the septum itself is perforated( meaning there's a hole!). Cosmetically: I feel that the tip itself is starting to droop(appears very bulbous too) and that too much cartilage/ bone was removed from above the tip region...So it's somewhat scooped...I've been thinking about going for a revision( this time I'll be sure to do my research and go with someone who's actually a rhinoplasty specialist(not a breast surgeon who does noses every now and then >.>). Oh, I forgot to mention this but my rhinoplasty was a closed procedure. Despite the setbacks, I feel a lot more confident than before I had anything done and have even taken to working out.

Maybe some of you can post some surgeons in the US who you have had a positive experience with! My main reason for posting this is because we're all our own worse critics, my own perspective may be warped...I'd love to get a different perspective in regard to my situation. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

It's been a while since I last posted( a lot of...

It's been a while since I last posted( a lot of studying coupled with work and volunteering!). In the interim, I met with the plastic surgeon who had performed my Rhinoplasty. He agreed that there are some medical and aesthetic issues he'd be able to fix..1. Synechiae(scar tissue that's responsible for the deviated septum) 2. septal perforation(he's not too concerned about this as it's small; nothing will be done to fill it) 3. Columella(he's going to lift this; he said that this should be easy) 4. Tip work(he wants to define this area more; cartilage WILL be removed--I asked if this could result in nasal collapse and he said that will NOT happen). (He also said he'd proceed with the closed approach for the revision as he had done for the initial rhinoplasty)

He was polite, confident and owned up to his mistakes( even his aesthetic shortcomings). Furthermore, he said that he'd accept whatever insurance would give him( nothing out of pocket for the revision).

**Do you think it's a good idea to proceed with the revision? I'm a little hesitant because there's a potential to look worse. When I initially had the Rhinoplasty, my nose was as bad as it gets so I had nothing to lose. Now that I have a normal nose, it seems like a gamble(however, I do trust the surgeon and think he can do a great job)...

Revision Rhinoplasty 5/24

Hey everyone! It has been 3 days since my revision rhinoplasty. The procedure was performed by the same surgeon who performed the initial Rhinoseptoplasty. He removed the scar tissue that had been obstructing the nasal passage way and straightened the septum. Aesthetically, he refined the tip,,elevated the columella, and removed the cartilage that had been contributing to supratip heaviness. Though the cast hasn't come off yet, I can see the bottom of the tip and it's look great, both nostrils are even and the columella is straight and no longer hanging.

Cast Removal

I thought I'd update. The cast came off and it's exactly what I wanted. Breathing is much better and the nose has the right amount of definition.

30 Days Post Op

For those who are following my blog, I figured I'd update. It's been 30 days since my surgery. Breathing is great(Hopefully, it will stay that way!). Happy with its appearance. My goal from the start wasn't to achieve a model's nose but a nose that wouldn't draw so much attention and I think my surgeon successfully achieved that.

1 Year Out from Revision

Hey, it has certainly been a while. Approximately 1 year ago, I had a revision rhinoplasty performed by the same surgeon who performed the initial rhinoplasty. Now 22 and a year out, I can confidently say that I am no longer insecure about my nose. My nose is so natural that no one can tell I had anything done. Attached are some photos of it! Certainly not a model's nose but it's a normal nose that I can live with-- and an enormous improvement over what I had!

Update

Update 2

Update 3

Undisclosed

Excellent work. Very pleased!

I remember your story! Glad to see your results held up... you look EXCELLENT.
I agree- your nose looks very nice and natural!
What a journey! I'm glad you had a happy ending. You look very handsome and your nose is perfect for you face! Good luck in life. Always think positive. You will succeed in anything you desire. Dont ever let cruel people put you down. Take care:)
The doctor did a great job :)
You look great!
I am really excited to see your updated photos and how your nose progresses through the healing phase! I am glad you are happy thus far :) It is especially great that you felt you could trust your original surgeon, and that you think all went right this time. You must feel quite relieved! You are very brave, too.
well !!! after having a glimpse of you recent pic..all i m thinking is that you look perfct ! if it was me..i wont let anybdy touch it ever again ! one more thing i want to tell you that such surgeries are like a vicious circle .. if u get this surgery done u wil keep waiting for the final outcome to come for another year and all that blah blah all over again !! i wont just say for sake of saying it ...but i think you look great ! just embrace yourself ! good luck !
dude good luck with your revision if you choose to do it, i hope it goes well for you, best of luck.i had pritty much the exact same nose as you and now its straightened and looks normal, but for some crazy reason i want my old one back, i just cant get used to having a normal straight nose. if only this is could possible to return it,
@downturned: Thanks for commenting! It's interesting that you'd prefer a hooked nose over a straight nose. For some, a hooked nose does look great! That wasn't the case for me. Quite the contrary, it was an eye sore; my old nose, even from the front view, detracted from my other features dramatically.
I would proceed with caution when it comes to refining your tip with closed rhinoplasty. Do you feel like your tip is big or uneven? If you are happy with your tip now don't let him mass with it or it will be more feminine and you don't want to have a nose of a girl. Removing cartilage is always asymmetry concern. Also look at your surgeon's before and after of his revisions. Revision is far more complex than a primary surgery. I do like his "closed" approach but can he achieve what he says without having to see inside your nose? A surgeon that performs revision must be skilled in revisions. I would ask him how many revisions he does on a yearly basis, it can be percentage. I would ask what are his success rates and what are the changes of you not liking the results and/or needing another revision. Be very careful with revisions. If you have breathing problems make sure the surgeon is an ENT as well as plastic surgeon. Do your research before you jump under the knife again. Especially do your research on your doctor and how many happy and unhappy patients he has. Ask him to speak to his revision patients and ask them to see their pictures. It is super important as you will be able to see how successful he is. Rhinoplasty is unpredictable and revision is more complex. Keep that in mind. How far after your primary surgery are you? Has it been a year yet? Are you happy with your nose today? What are the major issues that you are unhappy about? Also make sure to ask your surgeon what technique will use to bring up your columalla. Remember if he does something called "thon n grove" your nose will get a little shorter. Most surgeons won't tell you that if you don't ask. I have been doing research on revisions since my cast off which has been 6 months. Learn about procedures and techniques your surgeon is going to use to fix whatever your problems with your nose. Ask him for his surgical plan. Most if not all surgeons are ok providing you all that information, however they will only do it if you request it as most patients are not educated enough to know what they do. Good luck!
@ Renap1: Thanks for your informative post! It's been 2 years since I had the Rhinoseptoplasty. Though he's not an ENT, he's a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with Rhinoplasty/revision and does possess an aesthetic eye. He seemed really confident that he could improve upon his work. Maybe the cosmetic problems aren't evident due to the poor quality of the photos! I'll be sure to post some new ones when I get a chance... The medical term for what I have is Polybeak deformity; my Plastic surgeon confirmed this. While what I have is termed pollybeak deformity, it's not a TRUE deformity...It's a natural look in my opinion...What I had before was a deformity LOL And, I agree with what you said...It's important to get a copy of the surgical plan and read it thoroughly( especially if you're considering revision)!
I think aesthetically it looks great. If it does not affect your breathing then I would leave it. You have to do what makes you most comfortable but looks wise I think it's nice.
Considering where you started, I think it looks great. I would probably leave it as is.
I think it looks great and i definitely wouldn't try revising it (unless the difficulty breathing becomes unbearable) just because your risks of something going wrong the second time are MUCH higher than the first and if you don't be careful you could end up "fixing it til it's broke" and wishing you had never gone through it in the first place! Don't be so hard on yourself and always remember we are our own worst critics. I'm sure the things that bother you aren't as bad as they seem internally and are pretty much unnoticeable in the pictures you have posted!...I hope this helped :) good luck!
Your new nose looks great and complements your features nicely. Therefore, aesthetically, I'd say your surgery was a great success. The only reason that you could possibly have to undergo revision rhinoplasty is for the functionality. If a revision procedure can improve your breathing significantly, then go for it.
Personally, I think your new nose looks very good. However, if you think a revision is something you might do eventually, maybe you could find out if that scar tissue would be easier to work with now versus later. From my own experience (had a rhinoplasty about 25 years ago), I wish I had not waited 25 years to have my revision. But that is because of my nose's effect on my ability to feel comfortable in social situations. I do think aging of scar tissue, aging of skin, and emotional/psychological factors are all things to consider.
I think your new nose looks great!! it looks really natural and your profile looks really nice!! I really dont think you need a revision, sometimes i look at my nose and think certain bits are still a bit big from diffrent angles but i think that is because we tend to nit pick at it. I really think you should leave yours how it is not :)
How it is now i ment at the end :)
I think you look great, it does look incredibly natural!
First of all I'm sorry about all the teasing you went through in your early years :( kids don't understand the impact of their words... So I don't see a problem with your new nose. I think it looks fantastic with a rounded end. It really is a huge improvement on your old nose.. it's up to you if you think a defined and more pointy tip is worth the extra cost and trouble. I personally think it looks GREAT! So if you're unsure about that part, well be sure that it IS an attractive nose.
and I agree with Angie, pick a REVISION rhino specialist!!

Hi there! Photos would be very helpful! A revision can be a good thing, but it totally depends on how badly you need it and the surgeon you choose. If you go this route, definitely choose a revision rhinoplasty SPECIALIST. You need someone who knows his or her stuff. Please let us know what you decide to do.