50 Year old. Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty - Malaysia experience

Hated the ageing bags under my eyes, after...

Hated the ageing bags under my eyes, after consultation my PS advised me to have both upper and lower blephoraplasty. I didn't really feel I needed upper eyelid surgery! I would have had this procedure done in Australia but it was twice the cost I paid. The experience has not been pleasant as a result of poor communication and consultation from my Dr. I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the result as it's still too early to say.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

My upper and lower blephoraplasty experience

Well it's been 9 days after surgery, still have som swelling and bruising. I'm really disappointed with a slant on my left eye and feel I can't completely open it. My PL Dr Faizal Anwar from Kuala Lumpur assures me that it will be fine and he's satisfied with the surgery results. I'm not convinced, perhaps I'm being a little inpatient.

Hi. You are going through the " what the hell have I done" and "how could I have let this doc do this to me" phase. It's normal. I had upper and lower and laser on lower. I'm three months out and still have swelling. But only I notice it........people, including my husband, stopped noticing after two weeks. Be patient, rest and try not too look all day every day. Jill is right.
Thanks Cassandra for giving me some faith that I haven't made the wrong decision.
Check out my posts. I had some horrors. Lumps bumps, blurry vision , allergies. It's way too early to be upset. Worrying is normal. Have faith in surgeon ....for the moment. For 9 days out you look good. This is big surgery at 49.

11 days on and still bruised

Well it's been 11 days post surgery and wanted to go out for a bit. Attempted to camoflouge the bruises with some makeup, so this photo probably makes me look better. Still feeling I'm having problems with left eye, skin fold on this eye is not sitting right and am really worried that the little lump sitting on lower left side of left eye. This really is my problematic one. Despite that still also have some swelling under eye and still slightly bruised. Going to have a few drinks tonight as I have just turned 50. Am really trying to resist the dreaded ageing process!

My night out

These photos perhaps are too flattering.

Honestly the best thing to do is to try not to look for results right now, which I get is next to impossible.
You look great! Happy 50th Birthday! You and I are the same age. Give it another month or two and you'll be great :-))
Thanks Mrs Marilyn, your photos give me some inspiration, fingers crossed my results can be as successful as yours.

Still unhappy

Well it's now been 17 days post surgery and things are still looking bad, my eyes look shocking, they're very dark and the folds on the upper lids look shocking. My lower left eye has a small lump on the left side which I brought up with my Dr only to be fobbed off saying it will settle and I just have to be patient. I am so unhappy, sad and so regretful, I should never have done this procedure, I had such beautiful big eyes that were my best feature, I just wanted to get rid of that tired look, now I'm too embarrassed to go out or have anyone see me. My confidence is shattered. Can anyone shed some light, will they improve once the healing has occurred?

PS use your ring finger or your little finger to massage gently
I agree with below....you must give it time. Try to cut out salty food ( no alcohol either ) to help with the swelling. Rest as much as you can. As for the little bump...I had about five but one huge (in my mind) one. You can massage it. Use a little bit of vitamin e oil. Find a high quality one with a wide range of tocopherols. Usually it comes in capsules. Prick one with a pin and use it fresh. It will hurt a bit to massage. It will make you feel pro active. After nearly 4 months my "huge " bump is way down. (The others are gone) I can feel it if I feel around for it ....my PS say it will dissolve completely by 6 months ....I also felt early on that I was being fobbed off. !!! The oil will also be good for your scars.....just put on very gently. Taking Arnica and Bromelian might also help as well. Cheer up and keep us posted.
Cassandra, thankyou, I just read your entire journey and your progress at similar intervals to mine to compare the results, maybe I'm being quite anxious, I just am so scared that the bumps, lumps, extra folds will not subside but when I saw your pics along the way I felt a little more positive. Thanks for the inspiration.

Still bruised 3 wks on

I'm really concerned with what appears to be slow recovery after viewing so many other profiles. Its been 3 weeks since my op. My right eye has a small lump on the crease where sutures were, my left eye has strange skin fold on the lid and small bump in lower outer left corner and I still have some bruising. I know everyone has said to be patient by in comparison to others the recovery is not looking as good. My dilemma is I had one of those asian holiday surgery experience and now back in Australia so I'm not even able to consult with the Dr, who I don't trust in any case. Can anyone give me some advice on where or what I do from here? Thankyou all in advance

It took me 8 months to see my final results for a lower bleph, and from what I've seen on other reviews the little lumps and what not do go away with time.  You are still really early post-op, hang in there!
I first want to say you look beautiful !! I think you still have a lot of swelling and it takes months (almost 6 months) for the healing of your eyes. It's hard but hang in there pretty girl :)
Thankyou Las, such beautiful words of inspiration, definitely not feeling it.

Exactly 4 weeks on and still bruised and swollen, is this normal?

Well exactly 4 wks to the day since surgery and my healing has been horrendous. I still have swelling and bruising under the eyes. Have a small lump on the upper lid of my right eye and strange skin folds on upper eyelids, not sure if this is normal, certainly looking worse than before surgery, argh!! Why oh why did I ever go down this path. Van anyone shed any light. When I look at other profiles and reviews they are all looking so much better at the 4 week mark.

My photos at 4 weeks

Hi CR, what did your Dr recommend for icing, Arnica, etc for aftercare? I iced almost the whole first 48 hours (I was fortunate I could take some time away from work). I used (and still use) the Arnica 30x tabs under my tongue (2) at least 3 times per day, I am also still using the Arnicare gel on the bruises. I'm not sure if I'm just a fast healer or whether this all helped but I do want to pass that on. I can't believe your Dr actually ignored you & cancelled your appointment! I'm FURIOUS for you and hope you can get some kind of recompense from him. From what I'm reading here also, it seems that a minimum of six months is needed to really start to see the final results. Wishing you the best & I will keep following your progress!
Thanks for your advice Karen, yeah my mistake for having a procedure done in an Asian country. I will try your tips and make an appt with an Australian Dr in nxt couple of weeks for a 2nd opinion.
oh I also want to add that my immediate post op bruises and swelling were alot worse than what I can see from your pictures. My left upper eyelid stitches looked alot like what you had. Now it is falling into place and looking natural so I think you don't have to worry so much.

Almost 6 wk mark, still bruised and Lump

Would really appreciate some comments here people, it's almost 6 wks since my upper and lower Blephoplasty and rhinoplasty and I still have bruising, I also have the lump on my right eyelid which is not going done, also my nostrils are uneven. Please folks I'm really after some input here as I really do rely on this site for feedback as I no longer have anything to do with the surgeon overseas. Thanks in advance

Hi Connie, I understand your distress :( Imo your nostrils look the same as before, just looking at the first picture. Your eyes are healing slower than some, but prob faster than some also. I really thing the things you are worried about will resolve, with a bit more time. I know it's easy for me to say, as it's not my face. We are our own worst critics, I really think you will be happy in a month or so. Best SS
Agreed. She did not get the best after care immediately after so it may be why she is a little slower to heal. I think the shape is lovely and that they will resolve.
As far as your eyes are concerned I wouldn't worry about bumps and extensive and long lasting bruises. 6 weeks is still way to early. 6 months you will see you final result. I had a revision on an upper bleth to remove a little extra skin. I had bumps along the incision line for 4 months. In the outer corner it looked like I had a pleat of skin. That also went away. All of this will settle and go away. The nostril is a different story. Did he cut down your nostrils? By that I mean make them narrower? Did you have rhinoplasty? If so you still have a lot of swelling. The nostrils may even out after the swelling goes down but that could take 6 months +. You are a slow healer but that doesn't excuse the bad care from the Dr. The Dr. knows you aren't staying there so he can get away with it. Find another Dr locally. Live and learn.

seriously concerned now

What the hell is this lump growing on my eye?? 6 wks after upper blephorplasty.

I'm sorry Connie. I feel like u do. I'm n a deep depression I don't leave the house I won't let my husband look at me. I'm really scared I will never get better. I no people say it takes time but sometimes a person just has a gut feeln something is wrong. I def think u should c yr doctor an get another consul from another surgeon Good luck an keep me posted!
Mahlon Kerr plastic sergen in RR just done my surgery on 7/15/2014 and my eys look amazing ! Give him a call you will be happy I guarantee .. Good luck!
Mohlon Kerr you said did your surgery. I am an Australian looking for revision eye lid surgery. Is he an ocular plastic surgeon? What state and country does he practice in?

Looking for recommendation for an excellent eye PS for revision.

After being left with disappointing results of my upper and lower eye surgery in Malaysia, I am looking for a very experienced competent surgeon in Melbourne, Australia. Can anyone help me out with a recommendation. Thanks to you all, looking forward to getting your feedback.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I don't know if you are willing to travel but one of the best eye surgeons in Australia is Dr Dinesh Selva in Adelaide. I have seen him once for a consult as I want a lower blepharoplasty next year. He is also very kind and will not be judgmental about holiday surgery in Asia. Clearly there is an issue with the lump on your upper eyelid and you need to get it addressed as soon as possible. The first step is to choose a range of eye surgeons for a consult. Then go to your GP to check if the lump is an infection that requires urgent attention. Ask the GP for referrals to the several eye surgeons you have chosen because it may take many months to get an appointment. It took me three months to get an appointment with Dr Selva. You also need to get a variety of opinions as revision blepharoplasty is more difficult than the original surgery. Put yourself on the cancellation list at each of the eye surgeons you choose to get yourelf the fastest appointment possible. You do not look bad at all but I understand how confronting it is to have your eye area altered in a way that you perceive to be unattractive. Nobody else's opinion is as important as yours. Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do. Cheers, KP
Thanks KP, the lump has dissolved thank goodness, I have been give the name of two Plastic surgeons in Melb so will see how I go. Will definitely do my research first on their work. Thanks for your suggestion. CHEERS CONNIE
Dr Faizal Anwar

Dr Faizal Anwar made no effort to do a proper consult. I felt he had no genuine interest or empathy for me. He neglected to complete a procedure, I had to return the following week to have it completed. I tried to see him before I left Malaysia but he cancelled my appt. I explained my concern via email and he didn't even bother to reply. He was quick to take my money but did not follow through with any after care and did not address my concerns. I am very unhappy with the results, I would definitely advise against using him. My unfortunate lesson learnt having a cosmetic procedure done abroad. This was a very costly lesson learnt and will cost a fortune to have the procedures revised.