Mentor Breast Implants in 1990

I would not do it if I had it to do again. Small...

I would not do it if I had it to do again. Small boobs are just fine. I had them put in when I was going through a divorce and everyone in my family already had them.

I had breast implants in 1990. They are Mentor breast implants and do not have my original paperwork (which means I do not have the serial numbers). Is there a way to find out what the serial numbers are and the size put in? I know the name of my doctor but he has since retired.

Thanks

He has retired.

Lori, do what you can, but don't try to be superhuman about it. If you can get the info, great, and if not, your surgeon will have to work without. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a couple more consults with other board certified plastic surgeons to get their take on the matter. Wild speculation, but would a mammogram help provide some useful details for your surgeon? Ordinarily I would think the surgeon, armed with skills and experience, will be able to take an approximate guesstimate at what you have, and work from there during surgery. This presumes that he uses sizers during surgery and has a reasonable variance of implant sizes he can select from, once he's determined the appropriate size. (Not to mention that he should be able to get a reasonably accurate measurement of your 'good' implant after it's been removed, through the miracle of science known as volumetric displacement.) Just be clear in your goals; if you're really done with the implant thing, fine, but it sounds a bit like you were reasonably content, and merely had the sort of bad experience which makes you want to take every precaution to avoid repeating. And who wouldn't? I know I wouldn't want to lay down a chunk of change every time someone poked my body and had an 'oops' moment. One way to mitigate a future rupture is to be crystal clear with whomever is examining you, doing biopsies, etc. You don't say whether you're considering cohesive gel implants, but they tend to be MUCH more forgiving in the event the shell does get ruptured. Something to consider...?

It is also easier said than done to just decide to remove our breast implants.I am one who did have my implants removed because of a near deadly infection from them. (most likely from the surgical drain that was placed in my breast for over 3 weeks)It seems that everytime I give my surgeon the benefit of the doubt, I come out of surgery with a problem.I have chosen to move on to another surgeon because I will never be satisfied until a caring, non judgemental surgeon can make things right for me.I am trying to express our need for understanding from our questions we post about our bad experiences.Most of us (want to keep our breast.)
The implants are extremely easy to remove with zero recovery. It can be done under local anesthesia also. You do not need to know the serial numbers at all either to do this.
THe reason I am thinking of having them replaced is because I want them to look good and after being larger for so long they may look pretty deflated if they are just removed. I also can't even remember what size I was I may want them. The reason I want the serial numbers are for size and to know if they are covered for ruptures. My consulting Dr. asked if I could get that information.
The truth of the matter is, no one can understand what a person goes through inside with these breast experiences.(unless you have personally gone through it). Obviously we are posting questions and opinions because we are scared, confused, and upset about our situation.We want heart felt advice without feeling like we have done something wrong.We all felt we did the right thing by trusting our surgeons even if we had surgery 20,30, years ago or recently.We are asking what should we do now.We know that we elected these procedures to make us look and feel better or good about ourselves.We are not vain,women with no concept.We want to exercise our right to feel good about ourselves without judgement.Please take a moment to tone down the negative vibe you post in your reply and comments before you post them.
When your surgeon retired, did nobody take over his practice? If so, you should be able to contact that clinic and get your records. Out of curiosity, if you just want to get the implants removed, why are you interested in getting the serial numbers and the volume (and presumably the catalogue reference number)?
I may want to just get them replaced, also I can't even remember what size I was to begin with. With the serial numbers I want to know if they are under warranty for ruptures. I will find out if someone took over his practice. Thanks!
You are regreting it because you did it for the wrong reason. If you are so unhappy then remove the implants
I am regretting it because I had a biopsy and the surgeon ruptured one of the implants and now I have to have them removed and new ones put back or none at all, but at my expense. They were perfect before and I had never had a problem, now I don't even wear a bra becasue it hurts. That is why I would like to know if there is any way of finding out what my serial numbers are in the implants; if they are covered for ruptures or not?