Fraxel Vs. Dermabrasion - Luxembourg

I have rolling acne scars on my cheeks and I am...

I have rolling acne scars on my cheeks and I am currently doing Laser Fraxel treatments.
I am about to go for my 5th treatment. It works great for fine wrinkles (I am 30+), less breath taking for acne scars.
Nevertheless I see an improvement. For next winter I was thiking to resume those treatments but I am still not sure.
Should I invest in a Dermabrasion for next winter or will 5 more fraxel treatments provide me the same result?
I would rather prefer fraxel as it is very easy and has no downtime.

PS: I noticed that using dermatix as a gel after fraxel kind of really improves the texture of the skin (but the redness stay longer, hurray for mac foundation!)

Dual Fraxel

This next time I will ask for a Dual Fraxel on my left side. I have some brown spots and a melasma there. Lets test the difference.

5th treatment

My 5th treatment was easier than all the others. the readness went a way in 3 days only. Again the skin improved slightly its texture.
I am having a hard time to take photos as when I take a photo you cannot see my scars. the light of the flash makes then disapear and a weak like does not spot them. They are still there.
I will still post a photo before and then within 3 months from now. I don't have high hopes on this. I am starting to think that tecnology still needs to evolve alot in the area. My guess is that the idea of micro graffing and stem skin cells should be the way. I will give it more years and start investing on things that are fully developed already. So basically: "not sure", you might as well invest on a dermaroller and have the same effect.

Photos Fraxel Restore

Photos

Restore Fraxel for Rolling Acne Scars (Oily skin)

No major change, better texture, less visible scars, don't understand what all the fuss is about, same as dermaroller I would say

Fraxel Restore for Rolling acne scars (Oily Skin)

Fraxel Restore for Rolling acne scars (Oily Skin)

Fraxel Restore for Rolling Acne scars (Oily Skin)

Skin improvement but nothing spectacular. Don't waste your money. It might work for very light scars. It gives skin improvement and works for fine lines. Don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It is not worth it

Trying for the last time to update my review to "not worth it" - Fraxel restore on acne roling scars
Serguei Volodine

One of the fine doctors (using laser) here in Europe. He has worked in LA before.

Hi Davide, thank you for sharing. I have been reading comments related to Fraxel treatment and hoping to find some case similar to mine. I am in China. I paid for 5-time dermaroller (original $1419. after discount is $1135). will start taking it from September. Because I am afraid there will be much redness for days or even allergy after treatment in a hot summer.After reading your posts, I have taken off CO2 fraxel, exopeel, dermabrasion off my lists. I am looking forward to my treatment in Sep. At the mean time, I am also looking forward to seeing your results. Please keep us posted.
The Fraxel that I tried was restore. I will try Fraxel repair in the winter time this year.
Fraxel restore is not aimed at Acne scars. You gotta do Fraxel repair and at the following setting: 70mj 60%. However, ask your doctor first if this setting is right for you considering your skin tone and location of the scars. Honestly, i would never do Fraxel repair on any other area than my nose. Everything else seems too risky at those settings. If you're in Europe, go to the UK. They have something called "Avita Recell" that they can combine with Fraxel Repair. IT WORKS WONDERS!!! Basically here is what will work the best for you: Go to the United Kingdom get treated with fraxel repair at 70mj 60% ( if the doctor thinks it's safe) in conjunction with Avita Recell and that will bring the most improvement. Good luck dude!
thanks for the tip. my skill heals fast and its oily so i will try the fraxel repair solo for now. avita recell is a very expensive treatment as well as london city. it would be a very salty invoice. i will still keep that in mind as a last resort! thank you
Glad I could help, and yes the most effective treatments should always be saved as a last desperate measure. But know this, getting rid of acne scars is not a matter of if but a matter of when. Yes it will take a lot of time and a lot of money but each treatment brings a bit of improvement so if you keep accumulating treatments sooner or later the scars will be reduced to the point where you won't care about them anymore. I know of people who had 5 fraxel repair treatments. 1st treatment: 30% improvement 2: 50% 3:70% 4:90% . It's cumulative! The point is, don't worry. There will come a day where your acne scars will no longer bother you. It's only a question of how much money you're gonna have to spend. It really is a question of money. Removing the scars, it can be done it's just that it's costly. Just keep accumulating fraxel repair treatments and do recell if you can. Eventually, your scars won't stand a chance. I have a single scar that's bothering me on my nose and I just did my first Fraxel repair treatment for $1215 ...So damn expensive. I'm gonna have a second treatment and maximum i'll have a third one. So yeah, don't give up and keep getting fraxel repair treatments and keep doing them until you're satisfied. Good luck man , cheers!
thanks for the words of hope. and you are right. i have done dermabrasion, exopeel (phenol), co2 and 5 fraxel restores and of course i can see the difference. actually only bad lighting will show my indentation :)
Hi November, my doctor is saying 60% is too agressive and proposes 45%. Do you think 45% is worth it? I really want to have it for my money.
I did mine at 70mj 60 percent and im two weeks post op and the redness is almost gone. However thats because the treated area is very small (only one scar) and on the nose (a safe area) and I have pale skin so higher laser settings are safe. Did he say it was too much because of your skin tone? If yes then you should listen to him im sure he knows best. Ask him why he doesnt want to use high settings if his answer is justified go with it if not ask him if he can do the high settings. Is 45 worth it? No idea but im guessing that it will do something. Talk to the doc and see if its possible.
My Doctor accepted 60% finally. And he even came back with 70%. Should I go for the 70%?
I strongly recommend 70mj 60% Anything more powerful I don't know since I've never tried it. I'm 4 months post op and I can see that there was no danger doing 70mj 60% since my skin shows no sign of damage. 70mj 70% sounds risky. Especially if your skin is not extremely white and it also depends on the areas you're doing. Like I said before, I would never want to try fraxel at such high settings on a different area than the nose. Since you're doing cheeks, I would stick to 60% and even that might be risky. If you choose to do 60% take extremely good care of your skin afterwards because your treated area will be much larger than mine and on a dangerous spot (cheeks). The decision is very hard. Higher settings with better results but with the possibility of making things worse. Or lower results with less effectiveness but safer....Which one to choose? It's very tough. If you really want to try 70% ask your doctor if he's sure that it's safe to do that on an area such as the cheeks especially if you're doing the entire cheek. Seems kind of weird to me how he was refusing to do 60% and wanted to do 45% but now suddenly he's fine with 70%. Ask him what made him change his mind. Ultimately, the decision is yours.
He went to a seminar with the most famous doctors using fraxel. They all seemed to agree 60% and 70% would apply to my case without risk. But I will stick with 60%. Thank you!
Thanks again for keeping us up to date, sorry you are not happy with your final results. Will you be trying any other treatments?
i am thinking to go for fraxel repair for next winter. it seems more apropriate for my case :)
Thanks for posting your pictures, I look forward to hearing from you with your final results.
I will post more: 1 in one month, and another one in 3 months (the least one is after having a refill of radiesse on my cheekbones)
Perfect :)
Hey Davide, I spoke to my surgeon and he told me that if I have a second Fraxel Repair treatment, it wouldn't cost me $1200 like my first treatment did but $800: So uhhh good news! The more Fraxel treatments you get, the lower the price gets. I felt very happy when I heard that so I hope it will make you happy too. Since money is the biggest thing that stands between us and scar-free skin, knowing that the price can only get lower and lower is great news I wanted to share. And remember, results are cumulative :) and also remember to wait at least a year between each fraxel repair treatment or else you risk permanent thermal damage. So yeah have your first Fraxel repair treatment at the highest settings that your surgeon allows and is comfortable with, wait six months to see the results and if you're not satisfied with the appearence of the scars, wait another 6 months and have a second round of fraxel repair and repeat the process until you reach satisfaction. Cheers man!
David have you thought of doing a round of Accutaine? That was the only medication that stopped acne cycle I was on and they never came back. Miracle cure as far as I am concerned!
I did Accutaine when I had active acne. I don't have that anymore. Actually Accutaine is partially responsible for aggravating acne scarring because of its radical effect. To young guys with acne I totally advise to have the sebum controlled by topical creams instead of antibiotics when possible. "Menemoy" for instance on oily skin types. I don't have acne problem anymore but now the problem is the worst one known from on the beauty world: scars.
there is a danger of volume loss with Fraxel (due to localised heating and tissue death) which you may not notice when you are younger. Please bare this in mind
never heard about this. thank you for the tip
Welcome to the community, so glad you took the time to share your experience with the community. Wow, 5 treatments...did I understand you correctly...this is your last one and you may do more next winter, or possibly Dermabrasion?  How long did you wait between treatments?
for Fraxel the max the skin can handle is 5 fraxels in a row (without a big break). as far as I understand the collagen stimulation reach its max. there is in theorie an improvement of 20% for each. between each treatment you need a break of 5-6 weeks. so basically you have the fraxel and the first hours you will have microsweeling (which is great, even skin! yay), but next day the sweeling might be too exagerated to go out specially if you also do the under eyes like me (to erase the signs of age and get rid of those pesty little wrinkles). To get the sweeling down there are lots of tricks but the simplest one is "arnica montana ch5". the next 2 days your skin is tomato read and I don't go out (typically for the weekend this phase). Then you have 2-3 days or light redness that can easy be covered up by foundation. I use a bit of mac foundation slightly lighter than my skin tone (if you use the normal completion one you will look like you have a fake tan which might work in LA but not in Europe). I even go to the gym with makeup and no one notices it. to get it "glued" to my face I use the fix spray "all nitgher" from urban decay.
Eva I really want to try to go from acne scar skin to an almost even skin, so each winter I will resume new trials as long as I can afford it. In the past I tried CO2 laser which is very painful and does not bring that much more than a fraxel so I don't recommend it. I also did an exopeel once with no success. Same goes for microdermabrasion. I never tried dermabrasion or strong TCA. I am thiking either on one of those or to resume fraxel (5 more LOL) From my experience the best result for low price is anything that does microsweeling. I will try dermaroller for summer. The idea is to have microsweeling for weekends at least. (not sure about the break times yet).
The Fraxel I am doing is Restore. I am also adding to my "to do" list a Fraxel Repair which is still Co2 but no pigmentation risk is involved.