Love the Look of my Restylane Lip Augmentation...except for the Bruises

I went to a board certified plastic surgeon for a...

I went to a board certified plastic surgeon for a restylane injections to my lips. I have always hated my thin lips and never worn lipstick because I was far too self conscious to draw attention to them! I told the surgeon that I was very concerned about it being obvious that I'd had my lips done and that I preferred having 'too little' rather than 'too much.' The dental block hurt a lot but I didn't feel the actual Restylane injections hurt at all. I love the size of my lips (the surgeon used half a syringe and they look very natural), but the bruising has been terrible! It has been a week and there are purple/black dots on my lips. I called the surgeon's office and they said that it should take up to two weeks for the bruises to fade. While I love the difference the Restylane has made to the look of my lips, I'm not sure I would do it again because the bruising is so noticeable.

London Plastic Surgeon

I had my lips done yesterday to get rid of (or at least reduce) vertical lines along lower lip. Was seeking botox so as not to change my appearance. Was told botox could not be used in lower lip but juvederm would do it without creating an unnatural, different from "me" look. Today I have bruising & swelling (at least I hope its swelling & not the filler) on my lower lip. Was also told that the Excedrin I had been taking didn't matter. All the information on this site has been really helpful so I am not freaking out as much. Lisa, I think your lips look great. Who was your provider?
I always had bruising with a previous doctor but the Plastic surgeon who I started using several years ago always uses a simple ice cube at each injection site a few seconds prior and I haven't bruised since.... Big Difference for me Bruisings no fun and distracts from the enjoyment of your result.. Also swelling goes down drastically the first 2 weeks or so...Give it time!! If you feel a lump or uneveness go back it can be massaged out and or a little added.. for Lumps or to much trout pout ect I've seen good results with the neutrogena vibrator face cleanser..Take off the sponge cleaning part and it's smooth underneath... worth a try before an injection to reverse...
I've noticed I bruise less with each top off...anyone else notice this? I just had my lips, nasal folds, and tear troughs done again last Friday and not a single bruise to speak of! I wonder if my face has gotten used to it, or if my injector has "learned" my face and knows where to stick me so I don't bruise?

Sure - {edited} on Harley Street. He is fantastic! I have gone back since to get the lip line done and love them even more.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your provider information to your review. Thanks!
Hi I was wondering which doctor you went to? and does he use restylane for lip augmentation? Hope to hear from you Thank you Mimi

Hi, it's {edited}. He uses restylane. I was really happy with it once it settled down and I'm having a top up shortly!

Edited by Sharon: provider info is shown at the top of the review for registered users.
Hi there could u please email me the doctors name again? Thanks
Sure - it's Roy Ng. I think that they delete his name from these replies. It should be listed in my profile thing though as the provider.
Hey, Your lips look beautiful. Can you tell me where you had them done? I'm after some recommendations.
Thanks very much! I went for a top-up last month and I love them now. I tried the ice trick, and like you said, it really helped with the bruising. I'll definitely try Juvederm though. Does it last as long?
Your lips look very nice. If you are concerned about the bruising, try Juvederm next time. I had been usind Restylane for two years in my lips until I discovered Juvederm. I experienced no bruising with Juvederm. However I did have minimal bruising with Restylane. Also icing really well works also. I literally suck on ice cubes for two days after having my lips done. Good luck!
i agree. bruising is very injector dependent. there is always a risk however if the injector goes slow enough and gentle enough bruising is slight. also avoid blood thinners before injection ie, aspirin, advil, fish oil, red wine. also arnica works very well.
im still waiting for my bruising to go down also. There is no way id have gone to work straight away and was glad the procedure was done on a sat. Make up has been useless trying to cover the bruises up. Id do it again but probably on a friday and would certainly take preventative measures.
Oh wow...I took a week off work in anticipation of the bruising. I was warned ahead of time that there was a chance of bruising, and knowing how easily I bruise, I expected to be black and blue from the nose down. I guess I was either very lucky or had an exceptional injector as I only ended up with one tic-tac sized bruise under the bottom left corner of my lip. I hope you're doing better now!
That bruising will go away (as you know by now), and there are things you can do that will really minimize brusing in the future. Talk to your doctor ahead of time for some advice. There are also some reviews on here with detailed "protocols" for what to do starting a week before your procedure to minimize (and sometimes eliminate) bruising. I use Arnica and find that it somehow makes any bruises skip the black/blue phase completely and go straight to the green/yellow phase (which is much easier to conceal on skin and might not even show on lips at all??).