Horrible Tummy Tuck Recovery! Is This Typical?

I had a tummy tuck on Jan 13 to repair an...

I had a tummy tuck on Jan 13 to repair an abdominal separation and I am having a much harder recovery than I could have ever imagined. I did have a pain pump but my back pain afterwards was so severe that I questioned my decision and often wanted to be put out of my misery.The pain was blinding.

I had bad burning pain from the drainage tube which came out after nine days ( not the 5 that was expected) and even since it's been gone for 2 days that side of my body is sore and tender to the point that i can barely sleep in a bed or sit without back support. Today is the 11th day and my stomach is still extrememly swollen, deformed and I am nowhere near walking upright.

Are these results typical? When should I realistically expect the swelling and deformity to subside? Has anyone else experienced a recovery like this or should I seek help?
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

One of the best plastic surgeons in Louisville. Took alot of time to explain to me my condition and what was needed to correct my issue. Office staff is very knowledgeable and responsive.

You should get at least 5 weeks off! If not, you're going to be very uncomfortable in your job and walking all stiff and funny... My recommendation is that you get more time off. I've hace co-workers who only did their breasts and took 2 weeks off and then needed more time to rest... imagine a TT!!
Wow I am getting scared I am having my surgery done on Friday and I only asked for two weeks off.
I took three weeks off and struggled for about 2 or 3 days at work because I was walking slow and not walking upright. I do have a desk job but sitting all day was not comfortable for me because of my back pain. I would reccommend 3 weeks. I am 4 weeks and 1 day post op and I am just now able to stand and walk at a decent pace. Good luck with your surgery!! Everyone's recovery seems to be different, hopefully ur's will be speedy!
Sounds pretty typical to me. Make sure you're wearing some form of support garment, it really makes a difference. I alternate between a binder or a spanx body suit and it helps a lot.

Hi! I live in the Louisville area and I am considering Dr S. Did he say if you should wear a binder? and what scar cream are you using? I wish the best of luck to you!!! Also, if you don't care I would love to see your before and after pics!

Hello, well I will first say about the scar. I really don't have one! I am africican american and was told based on my c-section scar that I wouldn't have much of a scar. Basically it looks like my csection scar which was hard to see anyway and it goes around to my back but its soooo thin. Im not using any cream. In regards to any type of compression garment, I was told repeatedly that I would have one but when I went in to have my drainage tube taken out they told me to just go to walmart or target and get a panty girdle and wear that 24/7 for like 6 - 8 weeks. I feel a bit gipped because I don't feel that I am getting the maximum benefit as my swelling is still pretty bad but I will say that U need the panty girdle. It makes the tightness in ur abdomen 100% better but it just doesn't seem to do much for the swelling. I am not sure why they chose to not put me in a binder or compression garment ( and really I was too high to ask) but overall I am pretty inpressed taking into consideration the amount of swelling I still have. With the panty girdle I can't fit in my old pants. There just too small. Pics will be posted soon
I also had the same recovery "issues" as you. It was very frustrating. I am now 10 weeks post op and just started to feel pretty normal. My back pain started on day 2 and lasted about a week to 10 days. My back was is spasm from the top to the bottom from being in that hunched over position. The back pain was far worse than any tummy pain I had. My tailbone was also very sore from laying on it constantly. I got a little "donught" pillow and that helped tremendously. I also got prescribed some muscle relaxers for my back and that also helped tremendously. It also took me about 3 or 4 weeks to stand/walk upright (I am still not 100% upright all the time). My drains also gave me problems from the beginning. I had the "burning" discomfort all the time with one drain. And, I am still pretty swollen at 10 weeks. Everybody recovers different. I think it made it harder for me reading all these posts that people were back to normal after a few weeks. Like the previous post said (and my doctor keeps telling me), you had a MAJOR surgery. Your body is still trying to figure out what is going on. On a side note, I was in excellent condition before my surgery, so I did not expect to have such a long recovery. Again, we are all different and our bodies will heal in different ways. Hang in there, it will get better very soon!
I had my tummy tuck Nov 1. It was very uncomfortable and scary for the first 9 weeks. I couldn't stand properly for about 5 weeks and your back hurts from not standing properly and sleeping on your back. I am now 13 weeks post op and there is still discomfort and swelling, but it is getting better slowly. I can now lie on my stomach and stretch out but that has only been the last few weeks. If its tight your tummy will look great when you can stand up. Hang in there..it slowly gets better. The docs just never really tell you how long.
I had my tummy tuck the end of August. The pain and recovery was far worse than expected. The back pain is most likely due to you laying on it so much. Have someone prop pillows behind your back as you roll to the side a little and get some pressure off of it and put pillows between your legs. Find a comfortable spot. I had drain tubes for three weeks. 21 days exactly. Yes they were painful, disgusting and afterward the sites were sore and bruised until they started healing. I could not walk up right without hurting for about 5 weeks. It gets better each week. Another reason your back is killing you. The swelling in the stomach is normal too. You had a MAJOR surgery that involved not only skin but also muscle repair. Try to remember that. My best advise is find a way to take that pressure off your back, get lots of rest, take tylenol and don't push too hard. But do walk as much as you can. You are going to LOVE the end result and you will long long long since forget the pain you are in now. I promise!!!! Hang in there!
Thanks so much. This was helpful because I have felt terrible and I was reading reviews and it seemed to just be me. Although I managed to contract a bad infection that caused me to have bloody stool, I am doing far better now than when i posted this. I am beginning to see the swelling go down some and I am starting to think it was worth it!!
It takes ALOT of time to recover from this surgery! You will be so amazed at the end results. I had a TT 4 yrs ago and still notice changes. The first 2 yrs it the most define time for healing of this MAJOR surgery. The pain is horrible, yes I have to agree. I was only 26 yrs old when I had it too. You can do this!!! Just make sure you drain them tubes as needed. I will tell you when them tubes come out, you will feel like a new women!!! Be strong, think positive and you will get thru this...promise!!!
I haven't had my TT yet, but from reading other ladies posts, some women experience more swelling and pain than others. I'm sure that yours will get better in time. Chin up, I'm sure you'll look & feel great in the end!