Lap Band is a Tool, Not a Cure

First it was a lot of work just to get approved to...

First it was a lot of work just to get approved to have lap Band surgery. I have Medicare as my primary and Humana as my 2nd insurance. Medicare will pay part of it if you fit into the guidelines of it being a medical necessary. Humana at that time, I don't know if it has changed, pay nothing. Was not covered at all. So I start the testing and the process.
At the time I first started this my weight was 260. I am 5'3". And am presently 53 years old. My weight loss has changed. I am now at 189. But that goes up and down. Within 5 or 6 pounds.

You look great!!!

Hi Jeannie, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement! is 189 your goal weight, or do you still have some to go?

How did you find the recovery, following surgery? Did you have much pain and downtime?

Thank you. My goal is 160 lbs. I think if I reach that, I'll reset my goal maybe a little less. I don't know because the weight loss is slower than I thought it might be. I know why, you really do need to stick to the diet your lap band doctors give you. I am back in the saddle again. I started this week and so far I am sticking to it good. The recovery from lap band surgery is not bad. You have to be careful and eat what he tells you at first more than any time. The band has to get set in place and heal that way. The liquid diet is key to that. I don't remember a lot of pain. And it was pretty fast recovering.

5 years PO I am stuck!

I still have not reached my goal as far as weight goes. I am not gaining so that's good. But it seems like losing is impossible. I want to lose at least 40lbs. but would be happy with 20 for now. The saying nothing tastes as good as being thin feels, ha. That's hard to beleive at times.

Losing weight SUCKS...I think all of us who have had to do it can agree to that. When I went in to my PS back in march he said you need to lose 20 lbs before I'm willing to do your TT. I wouldn't be happy with my results if I didn't and he just wanted me to be happy with my results. I returned to him 8 weeks later and 25 lbs smaller, he high fived me and said let's do it. Two weeks later I was on the flat side. (June 5th) I did not exercise I did not starve myself...my secret is calories in, calories out. I maintained a 1200 calorie diet and just dropped the weight. At that point I was so busy I was not able exercise so I really just watched my diet. I wish you success with your desired weight loss! You can do it. Feel free to check out my review!

More fluid in lapband means less in the mouth, right?

I just don't know, I can not lose weight no matter how hare I try. Went back to my lapband doctor. He added a little more to my band to help me get my eating under control. I just don't really think that's the problem. I do not eat that much, ever. I try to exercise as much as possible. Since knee surger 2 weeks ago I can't do much. Help me if you have any ideas that have worked for you after lapband. You get so far and then get stuck.

I'm in the starting process for Gastric Sleeve and have had a weight problem all my adult life. Aside grok the exercise it may help you to keep a food diary. Yes I know everyone advises that, and I don't doubt that you don't over eat, but it really is useful to identify the types of foods you eat. Are you eating too little protein or maybe too many carbs? Most of us do. Either way it could show you what was different on weeks you do lose. It's easy to forget a little here and there or incorrectly estimate a portion. Hope it helps, you've done so well so far and you look great!

I was going to post the same thing about a food diary. It's a pain in the butt to do but it does help you see what you're really eating. I use the MyFitnessPal app so it calculates all of the protein, carbs, calories, etc.

Does your doctor have a psychologist on staff? It can be helpful to talk to him/her and find your trigger foods and figure out how your thinking is influencing what you eat e.g. are you an emotional eater, boredom eater, etc.

Good luck! You can do it and we're all here for you. *hugs*

With a knee injury.....tough... Sorry. I had bad foot problem so I got a used recumbent bike. Used it will watching a tv show. You might try doing low carbs if you haven't tried that. Or four days dieting and one day off. I think you look great by the way. Don't forget how far you've come!

Original Lap Bad before and after pictures

I know this is a little late, but I just found the pictures that my Lap Band doc took before and a year after my lap band surgery. I thought it was interesting so I called his office and they had all the dates for me, I wasn't real sure about any dates, but know now. The actual surgery was 09-12-2008.

Hi there, I was checking to see how you're doing now. I had my sleeve done a month ago and I'm down 67 pounds since the pre op diet. Have you considered transitioning to a sleeve?
Congratulations on your weight loss. That is awesome! Wish I could do the sleeve but insurance has changed, and the doctor wouldn't do it. It's okay I really need to try harder.
Louisville Bariatric Surgeon

Very knowledgable in his field. He will really take time to explain things. Will even draw diagrams!