Almost Melasma Free - Los Gatos, CA

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of...

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of makeup out in public again. But I am starting week 5 and it is nearly completely gone. My doctor says it is a 3+ month process but I started seeing results the very firat week.

I am using the Obagi NuDerm line afree seeing my friends results and I couldn't be happier. I did a few twists of my own with the products and I think that is what sped up the process.
Whe washing Imy face I used a spin face brush to be able to fully exfulliate the layers of skin. I toned, then proceeded with the clear and exfoderm forte in the morn and the clear with blender / RetinA at night. I made sure I used vaseline to protectumy eyes, nose and lip areas.
Here are my results before and after. Can't wait until my journey is complete. Only downside is it can be quite painful. Burning and redness but all I wear is mascara, brow filk in and lipstick. Tell me what you think.

more photos

3 month update

Well have been doing the Obagi Nu Derm now for just over 3 months and it is still going great. I've received several compliments on my skin and people can't believe I only use mascara and lipstick. No foundation (yeah) anymore.
I am using the products every other day now and have been for about 3 weeks with no dramatic changes, so that is wonderful. On the days I'm not using Obagi clear, exforte, blender and retinA I still use the wash, tone, Vaseline, and moisturizer. As well as my sunscreens yes both sunscreens. The Obagi and Neutragena SPF 55. It blends well with the Obagi. I took some update pics. If you have questions feel free to comment. Thanks I look forward to hearing from you.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the update. Your skin looks beautiful and appears to have a glow. So grateful for your posts.
Your skin looks fantastic! So glad to know Obagi works.
Wow! I was thinking of doing Obagi, now I am definitely going to try it. I paid $3000 for expensive laser treatments last year for my melasma, and all the dark spots are back. I'm not rich so I saved up for a year before I made the plunge to do that. They were painful treatments and it looked like I was infected with chickenpox for week until it healed. I have a. 5 and. 3 year old and have had melasma since having my first child. I can't wait to try Obagi. My melasma is very similar to what your was. Thanks so much for sharing.
Hi again! thank you for your response! If you read your original post you state: " am using the Obagi NuDerm line afree seeing my friends results and I couldn't be happier. " I did not know what products you are using with Obagi and I thought you stated you are using the "afree"...see above at your original post. Thanks Again! MM
It was suppose to say after I saw my friends results. Sometimes my phone hits the auto correct button and my emails or texts get changed, sorry. I use the Obagi NewDerm line. There are 6 products in there. Foam wash, toner, clear, exfoderm forte, blender, and either 2 sun blocks or one sunblock and a 2nd bottle of clear. I bought the one that had 2 bottles of the clear. Then I purchased the .05 RetinA tube separate that gets blended equal parts with the blender product. It really is important to use all the products. ..layer upon layer and must dry before you place the next product. It will burn, itch, sting, your skin will flake, peel and be very red. It is important to understand your face will get use to it but you're going to want to quit. Just be strong and know it will eventually get better. Good luck
Thank you so much! I have been struggling with melasma (pregnancy mask) after 2 healthy, beautiful boys... I feel very blessed however I hate being so self conscience of my face:( thanks for sharing!!!! Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you too. Please let me know how it turns out for you. Also before you begin your regimine contact me. Make sure you have vaseline aa well. It is important to put this around your eyes, around your nose around the base of the opening and in the cracks on both sides and then your lips as well. In the morning once the treatment is finished and prior to the application to the blender/RetinA application. If you don't have the vaseline barrier the RetinA could seep into uour eyes, nose and mouth. Okay
Thank you!!!!! I just did my first last treatment to see what results I get from that, however will be ordering the OBagi line shortly.
HI, you look amazing!! Anyway you can post pictures of the 6 items you are using so I can try to find them please?
What is the "agree" line? What face brush do you use? You look great!
Hi Mmblackmarr, Thank you. I am really happy so far. The Obagi NuDerm line doesn't burn as much now, my skin is ua e to it now. Everything is now clear except my forehead. That is still patchy but has lightened considerably. As for the brush, I'm use a spin brush from a previous clensing kit that I had. It looks a lot lime the one sold by Oyl of Olay. I don't understand your question about the "agree" line? I didn't write anything about an agree line.
What is the Obagi NuDerm line "afree" line? Is it specific for melanoma? Thanks!!!
Nothing works for me
I too have melasma that is finally disappearing. All I did was get prescriptions for tretinoin, mometasone and hydroquinone. Put a dab of each equal parts on my palm and mix with my finger. I started seeing results in 2 weeks. These 3 ingredients is what they use in these more expensive treatments only difference is that they are already mixed...
Did you peel a lot as well? My skin peeled layer after layer and was getting papaer thin. Not so much anymore and everything is gone except my forehead. Thq t is still patch but quite a bit lighter.
Before using these creams I used to get profession peels but they did nothing at all. My face is much clearer than 2 months ago with with these creams including my forehead. As skin is thicker on forehead it will take a bit longer there. These creams is what they use in more expensive treatments like Tri Luma etc. I prefer using these 3 instead as they are pure with nothing else added.
Hi - what does momentasone do? Is this a steroid?
Im sorry...I didn't write that Yathome did. . You will have to ask her.
Wow! That is awesome! The pattern of the melasma you had looks just like mine, but more spread. What I noticed is that you also had the same areas on either side of your nose that were not darkened. I have always wondered what is different about this area that it does not darken... perhaps a question a doctor can address. Congratulations on your success! I may indeed try Obagi Nuderm, as nothing else has helped and your melasma not only looks like mine, but we also look a bit alike!
I hope it works for you too. I took a few days off, 4 to be exact because my skin dried out so much but had to go back because I started noticing a hint of color returning. Back to the old regimine. The doctor did say it was a 3-6 month process, I just thought I would be the lucky one who only needed a month. Its ok I can be patient...I just want beautiful skin again. Keep me posted on your progress. Monica

OH MY GOODNESS- you look amazing.  Your results are stunning.  Is that your entire regimen?  Do you do anything else or use any other products?  I'd love it if you wrote a review update and listed anything and everything.  So many of our Community Members struggle with melasma and would love to hear every detail.  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Jill, I will be starting my 5th week or so I thought. My doc said to pull back and let me see what developes. My skin was starting to feel very thin, was very red amd getting irri. I have been mixing the hydrated moisturizer by Obagi and some vaseline. Still use sunscreen and try to avoid as much sun as possible. I yhink I will go a week to see how my skin looks and if any pigmentation returns. Then I will spot treat. I'm still peeling...so moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. And when you wash your face use a spin brush for at least a minute.
***getting irritated

Keep us posted on what happens when you go the week.  The peeling has got to get annoying.