Almost Melasma Free - Los Gatos, CA

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of...

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of makeup out in public again. But I am starting week 5 and it is nearly completely gone. My doctor says it is a 3+ month process but I started seeing results the very firat week.

I am using the Obagi NuDerm line afree seeing my friends results and I couldn't be happier. I did a few twists of my own with the products and I think that is what sped up the process.
Whe washing Imy face I used a spin face brush to be able to fully exfulliate the layers of skin. I toned, then proceeded with the clear and exfoderm forte in the morn and the clear with blender / RetinA at night. I made sure I used vaseline to protectumy eyes, nose and lip areas.
Here are my results before and after. Can't wait until my journey is complete. Only downside is it can be quite painful. Burning and redness but all I wear is mascara, brow filk in and lipstick. Tell me what you think.

more photos

3 month update

Well have been doing the Obagi Nu Derm now for just over 3 months and it is still going great. I've received several compliments on my skin and people can't believe I only use mascara and lipstick. No foundation (yeah) anymore.
I am using the products every other day now and have been for about 3 weeks with no dramatic changes, so that is wonderful. On the days I'm not using Obagi clear, exforte, blender and retinA I still use the wash, tone, Vaseline, and moisturizer. As well as my sunscreens yes both sunscreens. The Obagi and Neutragena SPF 55. It blends well with the Obagi. I took some update pics. If you have questions feel free to comment. Thanks I look forward to hearing from you.

7 month update

So I was on a maintenance program through the month of May. Maintenance being 2-3 times a week. Once June hit...and summer began so did the heat and so did my melasma.
ive come to realize that deaing with this condition,melasma there is no such thing as maintenance during the hot months.
At least for me, it came back to my cheeks right away. So back to 6 times a week and it all went away again. I've placed new photos. Everyone who decided to use Obagi like me...I hope you too have see results. Have a happy 4th.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Congrats on your results!!! I hear it will NEVER go away. I am Latina and have had it since i was 28 i would say it has gotten worse over the years, My dermatological surgeon says,it can not be treated because of my olive tone skin,if it goes away and the slightest bit of sun even hits me,even while driving with a visor and sunscreen and huge floppy hat or a burkha on the melasma will come back even darker. :( I've tried everything,it was all a wast of time and$$$$$$$$$$. Pain too and high hopes and dreams shattered. Keep up the maintenance,you will have to for the rest of your life and no sun ever! You look great and i hope it stays gone. You're very fortunate :)
Yes I'm well aware of. No more sun fot me and that this is a regime for the rest of my life. I have just added it to my list like brushing my teeth. I don't need the sun...tanning my legs and arms is fine for me besides the sun ages you. I had a melasma spot when I was pregnant with my daughter. I thought that one would never go away when I started. My daughter is 23 so it was very old and my very first patch. It went away afer about one month. If you want it lightened and can give up sitting in the sun then go for it. It was worth it to me. Good luck Bella.
I LOVE the SUN and Never will stay out of it. I am a sun goddess like the mayans! Even driving the sun hits my face,i do not sit out and tan, Buti attract the sun when in Mexico,plus the sun there is a DEVIL and NOTHING like California.lol. I may change my mind when i am 50+ But for now i will live with it and keep my face&body the same color. I am HAPPY for you :) Rejoice in your new skin
Can you tell me how your meals,a is doing now? Also do you know if yours was dermal or epidermal? Did yours spread over time or happen at once? Th ask so much!
Peanut5, I would have to say both since I still have some melasma tone in mynskin. It is faint but I still notice it. It began dark and dirty, resembling a 5 o'clock shadow in some places. I originally had only one spot 24 years ago giving birth to my daughter. Small patch on my left cheekbone. Couple years ago my doctor put me on birth control pills to Aleve my migraine and it happened. It came on so fast and noticed if I was anywhere near the sun it just gi t worse. So I guess youcan say I have both. I do sstrongly recommend NOT doing any laser treatment. The heat associated with the laser seems to make it worse. From people who have the melasma deep down. But that is where melasma is deep down below the surface. What is just in the uppermost layer is sun damage
Thanks so much for the reply!!!! I'm struggling with trying to figure out what to do with this…so did you just use the obaji nuderm line and that took care of most of your melasma? Can you go outside still and enjoy doing things outdoors? I have two younger kids who look forward to summer and camping, swimming etc….I just want this gone :-( Thanks for any tips…I appreciate them more than you know…just wanted a "normal" summer so bad this year…a year and a half battle of a rare bone disease with my now 10 year old son has been very stressful to say the least. Thanks again!! Oh, are you on Facebook at all? :-)
@peanut6 her results do look amazing. I bought this system too. 300$ later, it was okay. Not a miracle worker though. I would reccommend you see a dermatologist. They can prescribe you things that are muuuch cheaper, and that do the exact same thing. Save yourself the money. I wish i had. I have an appointment w a dermatologist next month :) you should try that first :) hope this helped :)
Brooke, I am sorry to say the sun is no longer my friend. I so miss looking up at the sun and feeling the warmth on my face. I still go out but always have plenty of sunscreen and a big hat. I must have 50+ hats now. I use the NuDerm line and you need to get a prescription for a .05% strength of RetinA. My whole regime was in my email. Im sorry to hear about your little boy. I hope everything works out for him and you.
Peanut you didn't see any results? Did you use the products in conjunction with the RetinA? I would be interested how you used the Obagi line if you wouldn't mind.? Thank you
Thanks guys!! I use the obagi blender and trenoitin .05% at night. It hasn't made me peel or anything? I typically use a Mary Kay revitalizing mask a couple times a week but don't know if this would make the melasma worse? The derm also had me see one of their estheticians who want me to use skinceuticals CE Phloretin serum I believe it is called. I am having a hard time finding a good physical sunscreen for my face…they are having me try skinceuticals 50 physical but it makes my nose and around my mouth dry, which is weird because I am acne prone, very oily in my t zone but dry on my cheeks…so hard to find a even ground lol…I wish I knew what caused this so I could try and fix that…it isn't sun damage because I have always taken care of my skin and used good products…very frustrating. My son is doing great now, even back to hockey (which is scary lol) but we want to go outside and play and do things and I'm freaked to…I don't want this to spread over my whole face…the derm said she does't think it will but how would she know. She has a spot that comes out every year on the side of her face, she says it gets darker by August and then is gone for winter…I looked and couldn't even see a spot on her…she said it would for sure be out by August and that she was bad about using sunscreen sometimes herself (weird) and that she used a neutrogena 70 but when I went to get that, it was chemical based and she had just told me that physical was better so confused why she does't wear physical since she has a spot of melasma. She said hers never spreads either just gets darker towards end of summer….could I get that lucky? She also uses a bb creme but when I went to look at that it had chemical sunscreen in it too…frustrating.
@peanut... you just use the blender and RetinA mix? What about the wash, toner, clear and exfoderm forte for morning and night time wash, tone, clear plus blend and RetinA? . It all works together in a sequence. If you just do a part you won't see results. One chemical sets off the next and so on. If you miss a step in baking a cake your end result doesn't come right. It is the same with treating the melanoma...no shortcuts. As a reminder...your skin will dry out at first, get very red, peel and be in pain but that shows it is working. It is peeling layer after layer to get to the new skin below. I will send you a link of people who have used the fill line and their results. You can see them on you tube.
***melasma...my auto correct is really irritating me.
Thanks M that would be awesome! Do you use the whole line just on the forehead if that is the inky place I have it? The derm said just the trenoitin and hydroquinine (oabagi nuderm?)
Amazing!!!! I'm on week 3 and I'm already seeing drastic results myself. You skin looks great. My 6 year old son is sitting beside me and he seen your before photo and asked if that was me. So we have almost the same exact skin but I have some pretty severe acne scarring which I'm noticing a difference with already also. Anyway, if I look half as good as you in 3 months I will be a happy camper...
I am so happy for you im sure you will be satisfied with the end result. Make sure to ALWAYS wear sunscreens and a big hat even in overcast weather. Happy Mother's day. Id love to see some pics later. Ok?
Hey dear Kimmeroo and Monica! Your results are awesome! I do also suffer from melasma on my forehead, cheeks and upper lip! I'm so desperate! My Wedding is in 3 month! Would you recommend me starting with the obagi new derm line? Did you also do the obagi Blue Peel First or are you only using the products of obagi New derm? Lovely greets And thank you so much for any answer!
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I wouldn't recommend any peels. People that suffer with melasma tend to make the problem worse with peels. Reason being that the area that is not effected clears even more and makes the melasma area stand out more. The nuderm job is to even out the tone. Call me if you want me to go over the amounts of the products for day and night application. Id be more than happy to help you. I am so happy with my results. I spent the weekend back home in L.A. this mother's day and ran into friends from way back. They said I hadn't aged. What was my secret. If they only knew what I had been through just last year. They couldn't see anysigns of my melasma. Super nappy. :-D
Sorry I forgot to leave my cell. 408-504-5313. Monica
Hey Monica! Thanks for your answer- is it possible to write me the products because I'm from Europe... And do you know where i can buy these products? Have you ever tried products of dermaceuticals? Sorry that I do have so many questions...
Sorry Sunsarah, I just realized I didn't answer your last post. I use the Obagi Nuderm line. I use the full line as I believe it all makes a difference. First the foaming gel, then toner. Make sure you Let each layer dry thoroughly from toner through last product. Then in the morning you apply the 3rd step...Obagi Clear, then Obagi's Exforte. Then Sunscreen..lots of sunscreen throughout the day. at night it begins again. Wash, tone and clear. Then a blend of the Obagi Blend mix with the RetinA otherwise known as tretinoin. You need a prescription for the RetinA. I use the .05 strength. Best of lunch on your wedding.
Dear please help me i have melasma in my both checks i am in UAE HOW can i get this cream here in uae?
You can purchase the line on EBay. You will have to ask a doctor for the RetinA / Tretinoin. Prescription strength .05% is what I use. Wow you are in the U Arab Emeritus? Talk about hot weather. Very hard to get melasma under control in that heat. Good luck with your treatment. I completely understand your frustration.
Hello Is this the product that you used? Obagi Nu-Derm Starter Set (Normal to Dry) includes full size packs of the Nu-Derm System Thank you
I just got mine in the mail today! So excited to try it! Im only 24 and only have freckles here and there but i dont want it to get worse and plus i also have sun damage. I want to fix it before it all gets worse and harder to treat. I hope this works! :)