Almost Melasma Free - Los Gatos, CA

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of...

I never thought I could go without 4 layers of makeup out in public again. But I am starting week 5 and it is nearly completely gone. My doctor says it is a 3+ month process but I started seeing results the very firat week.

I am using the Obagi NuDerm line afree seeing my friends results and I couldn't be happier. I did a few twists of my own with the products and I think that is what sped up the process.
Whe washing Imy face I used a spin face brush to be able to fully exfulliate the layers of skin. I toned, then proceeded with the clear and exfoderm forte in the morn and the clear with blender / RetinA at night. I made sure I used vaseline to protectumy eyes, nose and lip areas.
Here are my results before and after. Can't wait until my journey is complete. Only downside is it can be quite painful. Burning and redness but all I wear is mascara, brow filk in and lipstick. Tell me what you think.

OH MY GOODNESS- you look amazing.  Your results are stunning.  Is that your entire regimen?  Do you do anything else or use any other products?  I'd love it if you wrote a review update and listed anything and everything.  So many of our Community Members struggle with melasma and would love to hear every detail.  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Jill, I will be starting my 5th week or so I thought. My doc said to pull back and let me see what developes. My skin was starting to feel very thin, was very red amd getting irri. I have been mixing the hydrated moisturizer by Obagi and some vaseline. Still use sunscreen and try to avoid as much sun as possible. I yhink I will go a week to see how my skin looks and if any pigmentation returns. Then I will spot treat. I'm still peeling...so moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. And when you wash your face use a spin brush for at least a minute.
***getting irritated

more photos

Your skin looks fantastic! So glad to know Obagi works.
Wow! I was thinking of doing Obagi, now I am definitely going to try it. I paid $3000 for expensive laser treatments last year for my melasma, and all the dark spots are back. I'm not rich so I saved up for a year before I made the plunge to do that. They were painful treatments and it looked like I was infected with chickenpox for week until it healed. I have a. 5 and. 3 year old and have had melasma since having my first child. I can't wait to try Obagi. My melasma is very similar to what your was. Thanks so much for sharing.
Hi again! thank you for your response! If you read your original post you state: " am using the Obagi NuDerm line afree seeing my friends results and I couldn't be happier. " I did not know what products you are using with Obagi and I thought you stated you are using the "afree"...see above at your original post. Thanks Again! MM

3 month update

Well have been doing the Obagi Nu Derm now for just over 3 months and it is still going great. I've received several compliments on my skin and people can't believe I only use mascara and lipstick. No foundation (yeah) anymore.
I am using the products every other day now and have been for about 3 weeks with no dramatic changes, so that is wonderful. On the days I'm not using Obagi clear, exforte, blender and retinA I still use the wash, tone, Vaseline, and moisturizer. As well as my sunscreens yes both sunscreens. The Obagi and Neutragena SPF 55. It blends well with the Obagi. I took some update pics. If you have questions feel free to comment. Thanks I look forward to hearing from you.

Can you tell me how your meals,a is doing now? Also do you know if yours was dermal or epidermal? Did yours spread over time or happen at once? Th ask so much!
Peanut5, I would have to say both since I still have some melasma tone in mynskin. It is faint but I still notice it. It began dark and dirty, resembling a 5 o'clock shadow in some places. I originally had only one spot 24 years ago giving birth to my daughter. Small patch on my left cheekbone. Couple years ago my doctor put me on birth control pills to Aleve my migraine and it happened. It came on so fast and noticed if I was anywhere near the sun it just gi t worse. So I guess youcan say I have both. I do sstrongly recommend NOT doing any laser treatment. The heat associated with the laser seems to make it worse. From people who have the melasma deep down. But that is where melasma is deep down below the surface. What is just in the uppermost layer is sun damage
Thanks so much for the reply!!!! I'm struggling with trying to figure out what to do with this…so did you just use the obaji nuderm line and that took care of most of your melasma? Can you go outside still and enjoy doing things outdoors? I have two younger kids who look forward to summer and camping, swimming etc….I just want this gone :-( Thanks for any tips…I appreciate them more than you know…just wanted a "normal" summer so bad this year…a year and a half battle of a rare bone disease with my now 10 year old son has been very stressful to say the least. Thanks again!! Oh, are you on Facebook at all? :-)

7 month update

So I was on a maintenance program through the month of May. Maintenance being 2-3 times a week. Once June hit...and summer began so did the heat and so did my melasma.
ive come to realize that deaing with this condition,melasma there is no such thing as maintenance during the hot months.
At least for me, it came back to my cheeks right away. So back to 6 times a week and it all went away again. I've placed new photos. Everyone who decided to use Obagi like me...I hope you too have see results. Have a happy 4th.

i really believe in ANTHELIOS ROCHE POSEY SUNSCREEN LX with MEXORYL 60 spf .. it has to be the LX one or you are not getting the one with mexoryl. i order mine from a website called AVIBON.com its french. these are the only sunscreens that stop me from getting more melasma even when i go to see my family in morocco during the hot hot summers . its the only one thais 100% protection for me.
korsan2012….thanks for the info on the anthelios roche sunscreen. So I was using that and my derm rec. I switch to an all physical one saying that the ones that contain chemical like the roche posey one holds heat in which can make melasma worse so I switched to the Skinceuticals physical tinted spf50…I like that one because of the tint so I will sometimes not wear foundation, but it seems to make my skin a little more greasy and sometime sometimes after reapplying it twice, by the end of the day I feel like I am getting a little acne. Has your derm ever said anything about physical versus chemical sunscreen? I have been so paranoid to switch back or switch off and on with the two? Thanks!!!!
Congrats on your results!!! I hear it will NEVER go away. I am Latina and have had it since i was 28 i would say it has gotten worse over the years, My dermatological surgeon says,it can not be treated because of my olive tone skin,if it goes away and the slightest bit of sun even hits me,even while driving with a visor and sunscreen and huge floppy hat or a burkha on the melasma will come back even darker. :( I've tried everything,it was all a wast of time and$$$$$$$$$$. Pain too and high hopes and dreams shattered. Keep up the maintenance,you will have to for the rest of your life and no sun ever! You look great and i hope it stays gone. You're very fortunate :)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon