I Have a Chin and Jawline Again! - Los Gatos, CA

For me, there are no cons outside of the normal...

For me, there are no cons outside of the normal surgical risks. I am delighted with my results and the picture is just two days out from surgery! My double-chin has been a problem since I was young, even though I was thin. When I put on weight after I quit smoking it got much worse. I lost the weight, but not the chin and I knew that this was something that would make me feel more confident about my appearance.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

The cost breakdown was $1000 for the surgical...

The cost breakdown was $1000 for the surgical facility, $500 for the anesthesiologist, and the rest for the procedure itself.

I am wearing my compression garments (had my arms done too), but for the chin - when I need a break from the compression garment I am wearing soft cloth headbands (yoga bands). This way I still have compression but my ears get a break from being compressed. Right now I am using both. For drainage, I purchased some natural, unscented panty liners and I stick one in my compression garment. Seems weird, but works great and easy cleanup.

One of the challenges that I faced is that I had to do this alone. I am new to the area and do not have any family or friends that could come out and help me. It took a little more planning and I want to share that for anyone else that may have the same dilemma. Since they won't do the surgery without an adult to drive you home, I called around to local limo services and arranged two rides. One in the morning with a 15 minute stop at my doctors for marking before surgery. The second one, I made for about 30 minutes after my surgeon said I would be ready to go home. I talked to the disbatch and made arrangements with them in advance to have the driver come in and sign me out. Since I knew I would have no one to help me, I got up a few hours early to prepare a few things. I setup my animals with autofeeders, and opened cans in advance storing them in the fridge so I wouldn't have to think about whether I could open them or them eating. For my own nourishment, I created some fresh pressed fruit and vegetable juice in the morning and stored it in a thermos in the fridge as I knew I wouldn't be up for eating. After surgery, the first thing I did when I got home was to drink a glass of coconut water to rehydrate, then a glass of juice and take my vitamin C and zinc. I really think the coconut water, fresh pressed juice, and supplements have made the recovery more manageable. Today, I started using a skin firming serum on my chin and neck doing a very light massage and my arms as well. Sleeping has been tough as I am side sleeper so being on my back with my head and arms elevated. With a little planning, I was able to handle this surgery on my own. If you have someone to help, by all means - take the help. However, if like me you don't have anyone to help, know that you can still make it happen and it isn't so bad. Best wishes to all!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

One really important point is that I had tumescent...

One really important point is that I had tumescent liposuction of the chin and uppper arms followed by Vaser on upper arms only.

Correct - I also have incisions behind my ears. One of my ears is also still without any sensation. Sooo....going through the period of," Should I have really done this?"
All the Best..................please keep us updated in the coming weeks and thanks for your frankness!
The incisions not healing is also of some concern - make sure you don't have an infection. They say it can take up to 12 weeks for the swelling to subside. However, your incisions should be healing normally. I would get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon. I hope that your swelling soon subsides and please do keep us posted. Best.
Dr. Ronald Gemberling

I interviewed the top seven plastic surgeons in the northern California area and spent seven months interviewing and researching doctors. Hands down Dr. Gemberling is a very skilled surgeon who works from a place of honesty and integrity. He is a no-nonsense professional, but very gifted - he carries an air of confidence that comes with experience. Your safety is his biggest concern and as such he is a conservative surgeon that acheives optimum results with a natural look. I am beyond grateful that I found such a talented plastic surgeon - I trust him implicitly,