Smile Deformed After Botox

9 days ago I had botox in my crows feet, my...

9 days ago I had botox in my crows feet, my forehead, and my jaw muscles (to treat TMJ).

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't smile. My mouth widens and opens but it doesn't go up at the corners at all and my cheeks don't move; my mouth just sort of stretches across my face. I look like I am grimacing or like I have had a stroke of some sort.

Normally I love botox. However, in that my smile now looks like an animal in the wild showing its teeth at an enemy, I'm not so thrilled. I am not sure if it is the TMJ injections or the crow's feet injections, but something is very wrong.

Which of the injections might have caused this? Is there a possible way to correct it? Is it normal for it to take so long for the botox to work? Usually it takes full effect within 4-5 days. Is there anything I can do to hasten the metabolization of the botox? I look very, very strange.

I love the doctor I normally go to, but his nurse did it this time.

My smile was better about 4 months into it, that is when it wasnt as noticable to people.
It has been since may for me and I still can see where the muscle does not work as well on one side of my cheek. It is not noticeable to anyone but me when I wake up in the mornings. By mid day it is fine.

It will come back, time is what it takes. I exercised that muscle all of the time, just used it and used it.
Good luck to you.
Hi, I was wondering if your smile came back? I have had the same thing happen. Please let me know how long it took and thank you!
Yeah it's fine now, it took awhile and I would say it's 99%back to what it was before it all happened. I don't think my face will ever be 100% the way it was but is not noticeable to anyone. My muscle at the top of my cheek got damaged so it took a long time. Good luck to you :)
I had botox for TMJ about about 2 weeks ago. Now, when I smile, my mouth droops downward. I am so scared and disgusted. I have some important events coming up within the next two to three months. Does anyone know if there is a way to speed up the time it takes to get out of my system? My boyfriend noticed it a couple of days ago. He said I look angry!!!
I do hope my smile comes back eventually.
I am just going to do Carolyns facial fitness and not do the botox anymore. I just dont want to risk the side effects or feeling this way ever again. I am getting better, my smile is somewhat crooked but lots better, the only thing is my crows feet are gone but my cheeks are a little saggy. No one notices but me. I got mine in crows feet but it must have spread to the obiculoris occuli and down to the zygomatic muscle.
I didn't get it in my lower part of my face. He put the Botox under the eyes and in the crows feet area and between the brows, the eleven lines. The botox must have drifted down on one side making my smile really crooked. It has been 3 months and I am almost back to normal. Thank God! But I am going back for more next month, just not under the eyes anymore. Thanks for the responses. You Girls are the best!
I am sitting here reading these comments on botox and I am in the same boat! I have been getting botox since I was 28 between the eyes and in the crow's feet areas. I had botox abt 3 weeks ago and in the last week I have noticed a MAJOR CROOKED SMILE! I haven't contacted my Dr. since there is nothing he can do anyway. I am 44 and have been super duper happy over the years getting botox every 6 months. Now, I am horrified when I look in the mirror. When I smile, talk, eat, any expressive the right side of my face is not working correctly. So if anyone out there has a remedy, I am up for it. Thanks. :}
Me too Ging31, I have some cheek pstosis on my right side with a crooked smile. My lip will not lift high enough to match the other one. I hate it and am never going to do it again!! I am doing facial exercises, warm packs, lifting weights, cardio, eating protein and waiting it out also hoping every morning when I look in the mirror my smile comes back :(
Has anyone had botox in the chin and now can't smile or talk right? How long does it last, I look like a stroke patient when i smile :(
No I have never had it in my chin. I saw a post on one of the threads where someone did and they are feeling exactly as you are. It is supposed to last 3-4 months sometimes longer. Just have to wait it out like the rest of us unfortunate souls. Wish we could get rid of this poison faster. Mine has been since May 22 and i can at least look a little more like my old self and am hoping it gets better and better. I had to tell my husband he was right (sigh) He has told me since day one of getting botox 5 years that I dont need it and it is bad for you. I promised myself and him that I will keep the poison out of me forever. God bless :)
Hi, just wondering where you actually got the botox this time that it is affecting your smile. It was three months before I could finally smile again. What I wasn't told when I got my botox in the chin area (if you read my post) is not to move my mouth, talk, drink, eat for two hours. II still think Botox is safe and good, it all comes down to who is doing it. Just hang in there, it will take a while but will get better.
3655anon: Hi to you. Did you read my post, I had the same problem. Were you given any instructions after your botox, as to not eat, talk, etc. for 2 hours after injections. Would be interested in knowing.
Hi, no instructions at all...I have had it before in the forehead area and love it...I called to find out how much was injected and it wasn't the least amount so I think that it was just too much for me. Funny how many people are turning up. Thanks!

I just had a Botox injection in my jaw, 20 units each side 2 weeks ago, I lost my beautiful smile , I am not daring to smile now , looks like my crying , my face is crooked and my top lip can't lifted , I feel my face stretched and deformed , miss my happy smile now , people at work keep asking me if I am not feeling well , I look tired in since I had the injection .

How long did it take for our smile to get back to normal?
I went and saw my doctor. He apologized profusely, credited all of my money back, and promised to talk to the nurse who had done it. I've been a patient of his for a long time. He did say that there was nothing that could be done and he didn't feel comfortable putting more botox in to try and correct it in someway. Luckily, I have a very expressive face and I generally metabolize botox fairly quickly. He thought that given the frequent muscle activity in that area of my face, I should see a notable improvement in about a month. Let's hope so!
That sounds promising! Please keep us updated. Cheers.
Ah, I feel your pain. I too am waiting for the botox to dissolve. I had it injected into my "bunny" area (love that name) and on my chin area just below my mouth. Now I talk with a lisp and have a crooked smile. I'm absolutely disgusted. When I went back to the Dr. (although his nurse did the procedure, not even sure what qualifications she has, other than being his wife), he said I would just have to wait it out, TWO months. Thing is I've had it on the crows feet and them pesky frown lines before and it worked great, no problems at all. It was also a different Dr. who did it. Now I don't know whether I can ever trust having this procedure done again. Certainly NEVER around the mouth/nose area anyway. I'm counting down the days till I can smile properly again.
I had it in my chin near the mouth corners. Meant to stop the mouth corners from turning downwards but went to the wrong muscles and emphasised the drawing down of the corners of the mouth. I now have more saggy skin around my mouth.I am quite angry as never got an apology or anything, they just treat you like you are mad. Anyway, I had the botox 10 weeks ago and really it still hasn't come back at all. Getting worried now.
I do not want to be the bearer of bad news but I had botox 25 weeks ago and the results are still very bad. My botox result was extreme though so I hope yours does not last as long. Good luck to you both and my thoughts are with you.
Hi Lapcas. It's possible that either the TMJ or crow's feet injections affected the muscles that pull upward on the corners of the mouth when you smile. Botox does have the ability to travel and it is common for it to be able to migrate a full 3 cm (more than 1") from the injection point. It seems as if the Botox from one of the injection points has migrated enough so as to affect the muscles that you use to smile. Unfortunately, there is no way to easily "reverse" the Botox, like there is with Restylane, Juvederm and Perlane. If you'd like an opinion about possible corrective measures involving more Botox, we would be happy to take a look and let you know if we think that's possible. You can visit our website at www.celibre.com or give us a call at 800-958-8604.
I continue to get results for up to 2 weeks after a treatment. I am hoping you are contacting your provider this morning so you can show him the results. Wish you had told the Dr that you want only him to do the injections. It is possible that a few well placed units could counter the odd pulling. Please let us know what you find out.
I feel so bad for you as I know what a bad botox result can feel like. I am waiting out one myself. Yours maybe was a combination of the jaw and crows feet botox? My smile is wrecked from botox in the crows feet. My face won't lift properly because my cheeks have dropped (cheek ptosis). Read the following review and posts for more info about cheek ptosis - Beth F 'Think long and hard before botox - it ruined my face' and Chloerose 'Jabba the Hut puffy eyes after botox in the glabella region' Also did you have botox in the bunny lines area (either side of the nose)? This too can affect smiling. Have a look at Tami F's review. If you go the Botox section on this site and sort by 'Most Discussed' these reviews all come up first. Good luck and let us know what you find out and how you are doing. Cheers.