19 Years Old and Regretting a Brand New Tattoo - Los Angeles, CA

Less than a week ago I got a new tattoo. It is my...

Less than a week ago I got a new tattoo. It is my second, and I love the first. I felt regret almost immediately. I had thought long and hard about it but for some reason, it just doesn't feel right.
I got the silhouettes of three small Swallow birds on the back of my left shoulder (the fattier part.) The largest being a little larger than a quarter and the other two smaller and they are less than an inch apart). They are beautiful, and have true meaning, but are a little bigger than I expected and not for me. I know I must give the tattoo time to heal before going through with removal but I'm starting to do research now.
I'm highly interested in Picosure but I am concerned that the tattoo will not entirely go away since it is a new dense black ink tattoo. I also want this tattoo gone ASAp and I know laser removal takes time.
I'm considering surgical removal as well since it is small and that will ensure 100% removal immediately. I know there will be scarring- but I'd much rather have a scar then this tattoo.
I would love advice, opinions and personal stories. This has been the worst few days of my life and the regret is indescribable. Also, estimate prices would be great. I know a consultation is best and I am without a doubt scheduling one tomorrow but I'd love to hear from others.

Here is the tattoo

It is so beautiful!! I just can't seem to stomach the fact that it is there :( I wish I had at least followed my gut and put it on my side where I could hide it better but I was talked out of that so easily by the artist. This truly sucks. I have a consultation on Friday the 21st with a doctor who has picosure.

IRC removal?

Can anyone give me more information on the IRC tattoo removal method? Do many doctors perform this method?? There is very little about it online but those who have tried it say it works wonders and it is inexpensive and super fast! I know it can only be used on tiny tattoos (as is mine) and it will scar far worse then laser removal.. but I'll take a scar over this tattoo any day! Thanks!

How to Heal Quicker and Better After Laser Treatment?

Well I have my consultation for the Picosure laser a week from tomorrow and I'm stoked! I have a fresh dense black tattoo and I will of course be waiting to start treatments until it is healed. It's on the back of my left shoulder and it's quite small. With Picosure, how long do you all recommend I wait in between treatments?
I would also love for you all to share experiences with removal and your healing techniques. i.e working out, juices, vitamins etc.

had my consultation today..

I had my consultation today and actually sat right next to the Picosure "machine." My tattoo is too new to begin treatments so I will have to wait until late May when I return home again from school. They said 6 treatments will take care of my tattoo but since it is so deep I highly doubt 6 will do the job. It is expensive and they are charging me $300 for my tiny tattoo but they said they'd go ahead and zap my appendectomy scars on my stomach while they're at it with no extra charge. They will also numb it and give me laughing gas to take the edge off. I am a little concerned because they said that my fair skin makes me a good candidate however I tan easily so I am a little hesitant to begin treatment right at the start of summer. And because I am adopted, they don't know my nationality and how my skin type will react to the laser. The first treatment will be a test run and they plan to keep the settings low.

scarring..?

So it's been about a month since I got my tattoo and AMAZINGLY it is fully healed and extremely light in color! For some reason my skin rejected A LOT of the ink. I scabbed a lot more than my first tattoo and it seems that my skin rejected most of the black. This is odd because I took good care of it and followed all of the normal healing process rules. The outlines are pretty dark but the insides of the birds show my skin! However, I am a little concerned because in some parts I can see my skin is red/pink. Does this mean I have scarred? Will this make removal harder?! Does anyone has any advice/information? Thanks! I will try and post an up close pic tomorrow!

Photo (healed)

This is the final healed photo. The redness in the center of the largest bird is hard to see in the photo and has actually subsided. Anyway, there is some small dense lining but other than that my skin rejected most of the ink. The entire birds should be dense black like the outline but it didn't seem to take. Thank goodness!!

Sorry for the lack of updates...

Hi everyone... sorry I haven't updated. I was supposed to begin treatment about a month ago but my doctor and I decided to hold off because I didn't want to deal with shielding the tattoo from the sun! I want to enjoy my summer! Anyway... I don't know when I will begin treatment right now. The plan was to push it to Fall but it's becoming more and more bearable so I'm just going to begin treatment when I am ready!

Thanks for the update, glad you decided to put your happiness first and enjoy the summer. Keep us posted.
That's awesome! Glad you're dealing well :)
Wow, that really faded a lot on its own...I know they always get a bit lighter with healing, but that's significant! Should help speed up the removal process for you!
Tattoo's always lighten up a ton after the healing phase, does the skin feel raised at all? It shouldn't be red anymore, unless it's raised I doubt it's scarring...can you post your picture to show us?
Just posted a photo! It isn't raised and the red has actually started to go away! You can't see it at all in this photo but it is still a little pink in the center of the largest bird.
Looks faded so you're on your way!
Good luck. Your tattoo is quite small and all black so I'm sure you'll get success. As for the tanning, stay out of the sun this summer. Where your tattoo is, you should be able to keep it covered with a tshirt. Good luck and keep us posted on your treatments! :)
Wow ! I updated my post ! You are lucky (I know that isn't the right word to use) but that is small, black, and hidden mostly - also you don't see it constantly. I messed up my knee bad! So feel better that should come out no problem from what I read and have seen with small/black tattoos. Let us know how it goes.
I'd suggest 6 weeks between treatments. Try to drink a lot of water, eat clean and exercise so you sweat and get the toxins out. Be positive with your thoughts are important too. You can try juicing, doesn't hurt. I think the important thing is to eat clean, unprocessed foods. The fewer chemicals your consuming the better. Good luck!
Hi there Rhinnhh. I just had my 1st session of the Q Switched Laser for my 3 week old tattoo. And guess what, it's been working really great, so I am nothing but positive now that I'll be able to remove it completely :) I am more of olive-skinned, and my tattoo is all in black ink. And after the 1st treatment, I've already seen the lines break up. I think it will be pretty much the same for you, coz your tattoo is also just in black ink. So be positive, I am pretty sure you'll get great results - your tattoo is pretty simple. At least, it's on your back, and you can still somehow conceal it. Mine was on my upper arm, and the tattoo artist (who's supposed to be an artist!) didn't do it properly, I now have like child writings on my arm. Anyways, life must go on and everything in life has a solution. I'll keep you posted on how the progress is for my Q Switched treatment! Please keep us posted too - we're here to learn from each other :)
Wow! this makes me feel slightly better.. However your tattoo is mostly thin black lines and mine is super dense and thick. I am hopeful that it will eventually start to break up and I have to think more realistically then to think it'll disappear in one session. It'll take more time than yours but I'm confident it will break up eventually. Sorry about your tattoo- It's really a shame that you have to go through this even though your artist really screwed up. It looks like a case a pure laziness and he/she should be held responsible. Unfortunately, mine is 100% my fault. It looked small when the artist drew it out but as soon as it was on my body and completely filled in with black ink- it looks 3 times bigger than I ever wanted. I will definitely keep updating everyone. I have a consultation Friday the 21st with a doctor who has Picosure and another with a doctor who wants to use Medlite C6. I will get started with the laser as soon as I can!!
Hey lady, I too, recently got a tattoo on my upper back that I am absolutely regretting to the max. It was a good idea at the time but after it was done.. It was huge! The colors were masculine and just not me. The piece starts from my shoulder and goes passed my spine. The color pigments are mainly black and red (which happens to be the two easiest colors to remove) but it has some white highlights (which is not so easy to remove because it contains titanium dioxide. This means the laser will potentially turn it darker) I am currently waiting about 8 weeks before I start the process to let it heal fully, but I completely understand where you are coming from. Even though my tattoo was done by an amazing professional, it has affected my sleep, my eating, and my moods. In my own opinion, your tattoo is not as big and does not have hard colors to remove. If I was you, I would look into a really good dermatologist who performs laser removal...and get it removed. The q-switch laser should do the job && if you go to a professional, the chances of success are high without scarring. Not to mention you may not even need many sessions!
I have a consultation with a doctor who has the new Picosure device a little later this month and I'm so excited! The good thing is that yours is mostly black and red and it's on your back which is closer to the heart (evidently that makes it easier to remove). From what doctors are telling me, new dense ink tattoos are harder to remove and will require more sessions but I will do whatever it takes. I don't mind scarring since it is such a small area of my body and I'd rather a scar than this black tattoo! I am so thankful my tattoo is tiny! This tattoo has affected my performance in school and ruined my birthday this week! I am hoping that in a year from now this will be behind me or at least not affecting me so much! Good luck with your white.. I recommend you get what you can removed even if the white gets worse. Chances are it'll be better then what you have now but I haven't seen your tattoo! You should post a picture.
I've heard the picosure laser has been causing scarring and isn't fully legit yet.. It's like still in the works type thing, and as far as my tattoo goes, they can avoid the white which will eventually fade. I rather do that then have black lines in my back.
A q switch laser is legit and should work for your ink.. Easily!
There my default is my picture
Really?! I've heard the opposite.. that picosure isn't scarring while older lasers will. I guess it really depends on the tattoo and person. I will agree to whichever laser will tackle this brand new ink the best. The doctor that posted below is an option and in my area. He too recommended not using picosure and I have a consultation with him in a couple of weeks as well. Your tattoo is beautiful! I agree you should probably avoid the white though.. I didn't know it turned black!
Hi Rhinn. Whatever you do, don't consider surgical removal. Surgical removal will leave a large, very negative scar that you will regret in the long run. Laser tattoo removal, while slower, will result in removal of the tattoo without scarring (when done correctly). Also, the Picosure laser is not ideal for your color. The q-switched Nd:Yg lasers are more appropriate because they work better on the dark colors you have. We use the Medlite C6 and would probably estimate 6-10 treatments for the removal of the tattoo you have.
My story is quite like yours. Nice tattoo, has meaning but it's bigger than I wanted and the placement is a huge regret. I have mine on my forearm. Worst place ever as it's very difficult to cover up. Only choice is to wear long sleeves but in summer that's not always ideal. In the beginning, I was crushed and honestly thought my life was over. This was almost 7 months ago now and while I still have my days, I'm now ok with it. I've accepted it. This tattoo is also my second tattoo. While the decision is 100% yours, I found that allowing time to pass and letting the shock wear off helped me. Good luck! Keep us posted. We are here for you!
I won't lie... this tattoo does grow on me slightly day by day however I know that in the long run it must go. I just wish I had followed my gut and put it somewhere else more easy to hide! I'm sorry to hear about your tattoo regret but on the bright side our tattoos do have meaning. A lot of people are struggling with tattoos that have lost meaning or never had true meaning to begin with! I'm glad you've come to accept your tattoo.. do you think you'll want it removed later on in life? Thanks for your support!! It makes this regret more bearable.
Welcome. :) It's a nice tattoo and isn't too big. Are you sure you're just not used to it yet? My tattoo was also jet black to begin with so it has taken me an awfully long time to reach where I am now. If your tattoo has meaning, is it worth getting rid of it? Let us know how you get on!
It has meaning, I just wish it were elsewhere and I could hide it more easily. I was talked out of getting it on my left side under my arm and on my ribcage by the artist. I should've followed my gut. However, day by day it grows on me a tiny bit more.. I guess I'm just getting used to it. Regardless, I know that 10 years down the road this tattoo will not be something I want on my shoulder. I got a tattoo on my foot last July and it was simple writing- also in jet black. It has already faded tremendously because my skin absorbs sun like crazy so I have slight faith that this one might fade quicker too. Thanks for the support!!
Hi, I know this may sound crazy but if it's not totally healed I would try and fade it as much as possible in the case that you do go for laser removal later. I would take long baths and add salts- totally natural from the health food store kind- or put warm/hot compresses on it to try and fade-pull out some ink before it "sets" so to speak. I used to work in a tattoo shop- on the coast, and people would sometimes come in for retouches because they swam in the ocean too soon. In one case, a surfer completely lost his ink- but that was from swimming in the ocean all day, the day after being tattoed:) Good luck!
Thanks! I heard salt is bad for a healing tattoo... But I suppose a few bath soaks after it is healed won't hurt! I live in California and this is so difficult because part of me wants to let the sun hit my tattoo (after it is healed of course) to let it fade naturally while the other part of me wants to keep it covered in case I go through with laser removal. It will be especially tough this summer but I'll do whatever it takes. If you don't mind me asking, what colors were their tattoos (the surfer and other people who swam in the ocean too soon)? Also, how dense were these tattoos? Details pleeease!!
Ya, maybe salt is bad because it fades it which is good for you. Either way, you should consult with a doctor or reputable tattoo shop- I probably shouldn't be giving out that advice:) just what I saw- the baths or salt water could be bad for other reasons that I don't know. Re. the surfer who lost his new tattoo in the ocean- I actually never saw that tatoo just heard the story- it was used as a cautionary tale to get newly tattoed clients to be careful and follow after care instructions to preserve their new ink! Good luck with it all- luckily yours is small and black!