Retin-A 0.025 Diary - Los Angeles, CA

So I am on my 4th Week of Retin-a 0.025%. I...

So I am on my 4th Week of Retin-a 0.025%. I started using it because of some mild adult acne I was experiencing around my chin area. Cystic acne! My gyno was the one who prescribed it. It took me a week to start using it because I had gone through hours of reviews and was terrified at the side effects! But I pulled the trigger, knowing how much of a miracle product it was for aging, hyper pigmentation, sun damage, wrinkles and acne.

I am mid week 4 and just starting to see new pimples on my chin, one on forehead and and one on cheek. I know it's the Retin-A doing it's thing because I don't even get pimples on cheek or forehead.

I think I am one of the lucky ones because my experience has been tolerable thus far. NO redness, peeling, or dryness. I was afraid it wasn't working or I needed higher strength because I wasn't having side effects! But, supposedly you're just one of the lucky ones.

here's my regimen: First off ( I researched like a crazy person like I said) so I went to a dermatologist as soon as I started using it and asked to be prescribed a topical antibiotic! he gave me Clindamycin.
Morning
I wash face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser and dry face
I wait at least 45 minutes and use Clindamycin
I wait another half hour and use moisturizer...I use what I always use (Anew Ultimate Age Repair Cream with SPF 25)

Night
I wash face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
I wait at least 45 minutes, then apply Clindamycin
I wait another 30 minutes, then apply Retin-A
I want 45 minutes, apply moisturizer (SkinCeuticals Renew Overnight Oily)

And that's all. I'm pretty optimistic about Retin-A and can't wait to see the results. I will write back on Week 5 and there on out!

Week 5 of Retin A 0.025

I am mid week 5 one Retin-a 0.025. For about a day and a half, I experienced my first signs of redness all over my face and the area around my chin and under my nose started to flake/peel due to dryness. I started to get scared, but it literally was gone in two days. Using moisturizer cures the dryness quickly. I still have some pimples on my chin...going down slowly. I have acne scars so it's hard to tell how fast my pimples are disappearing. Not many changes. I'm still very optimistic. I'll repost on week 6.

Week 6 of Retin A 0.025

I am mid week 6 on retin-a. If you've read my reviews, you'll know that I've had a pretty smooth ride thus far. I still have drying/ flaking in the same areas, but still not noticeable after I apply moisturizer. I'm hoping my acne scars on my chin disappear! They are fading very slowly. Haven't had any huge, new cysts in that area for a few weeks. A few, very subtle pimples on my cheeks. Still optimistic that it's working and doing its thing. I know the anti-aging benefits can take up to 6 months...and by that point, I'm hoping to go up on strength to take advantage of all those benefits. I have subtle fine lines due to the sun.
I will write another review next week. But, I have to say...if you're thinking of taking the "plunge" I highly recommend starting on this strength. I've never had to skip a night since day one!

Week 7 Retin-A 0.025%

Hey guys. I am mid way through week seven. I have a few small pimples...2 new ones on my lower cheek and a few on my chin. However, I have not had any cystic acne in a good month or so...which I am relieved about. That is what I was struggling with when I went on the medicine. The small pimples are almost like a breathe of fresh air for me. They do however, take a long time (or what seems like a long time) to go away. if they come to a head, I do "pop" them...but, if they don't, I leave them be. It's also that time of the month for me, so that could be another reason I have new pimples.

The end of week 6 and into week 7, I am experiencing the most dryness, peeling and flaking. However, it's only on my chin and above my lip. I wake up almost every morning with lots of dryness. Once my morning routine is complete and I add moisturizer...I am still able to apply makeup and you can't tell my skin is dry. I just ordered a stronger moisturizer for really dry skin from the same doctor (online) that recommended the other products I use alongside Retin-a. I'm heading back East for the holidays and it's cold there! I want to be prepared for more chapping/ dryness.

I now use La Roche-Posay Toleriane (without rinsing - theres the option) after washing my face and before moisturizer. I can't be a 100% sure, I but I REALLY think this stuff is what's keeping my drying under control throughout the day. It's very gentle (won't irritate) and has a super creamy texture. It's a cleanser, but almost acts as a moisturizer. I'm excited to combine this and that new moisturizer for extra moisture. The Toleriane is really affordable too! A lot goes a long way. I'd recommend this for anyone who is experiencing dryness and peeling.

I will update next week. I am hoping Week 8 clears up some of these pimples!