Beginning Picosure with BOOST upgrade - Los Angeles, CA

I have two all black tattoos I want removed. I've...

I have two all black tattoos I want removed. I've seen a lot of individuals on this website who have all black tattoos they are removing with the Picosure laser, and I see a lot of doctors saying its the best.

My big problem is that the Picosure laser is does NOT operate at the ideal wavelength for the removal of black colored tattoos. It's an Alexandrite laser that operates at 755nm, and while black ink will absorb this wavelength, the 1064nm is the BEST wavelength for the removal of black tattoos. 1064nm is aborbed the most and also penetrates the skin the deepest.

Now where does Picosure help? Well it appears from all the pictures that shorter pulses (in the picosecond range) do efficiently and more effectively break the tattoo ink particles.

Here is my dilemna, why treat a black tattoo with a picosecond laser at the wrong wavelength? If many of you have tattoos, why not wait until a picosecond ND:YAG q-switched 1064nm laser comes out? And there is good news, because one is looking to come out in Europe soon and waiting FDA approval here in the USA.

I've decided I will wait for the new picosecond laser from Cutera, called Enlighten. Its a ND:Yag q-switched picosecond laser (532nm and 1064nm). That 1064 nm wavelength is absorbed the MOST by black inks and that wavelength penetrates the skin the deepest. Add to it that it is also a picosecond pulse duration, then it will be the best choice for black tattoos.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my thoughts because I can see amazing fading in so many of these photographs, but just based purely on a minimal understanding laser mechanics and wavelengths, I know that these black tattoos were done with picosecond ND:yag q-switcched 1064nm lasers it would have much much much better progress. Food for thought. Best of luck, great progress to everyone.

I'll try to hold out for the Cutera Enlighten (or any other picosecond 1064nm laser) before I get my tattoos removed too!
Welcome to the community! Have you heard when the new Picosure comes out?

Here is some information about the current Picosure and Tattoo Removal:
Tattoo Removal videos
PICOSURE FOR BLACK TATTOOS? (PHOTO)
LASER TATTOO REMOVAL: 10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE GETTING YOUR TATTOO REMOVED
I have seen some pretty successful black ink removal using the Picosure here on the site:

PICOSURE - THE ONLY WAY TO EFFECTIVELY REMOVE A TATTOO. - MIAMI, FL
WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?!
Keep us posted on your journey :)

Thanks for these links Eva. The problem which I think is adding to all the stress of the situation for us all is that there are two doctors in that first link contradicting each other. Who do we believe?
That was the point of my post. The one doctor recommending ND:YAG is correct in that that particular laser operates at the BEST wavelength for black tattoos. Picosure is an alexandrite laser and does not operate at the ideal wavelength for black tattoos. HOWEVER, because picosure is a picosecond laser, a lot of doctors (and pictures) seem to indicate it works better even though it does not operate at the ideal wavelength for black tattoos. THe shorter picosecond pulses seem to break the tattoo ink up more than the longer nanosecond pulses of the ND:YAG laser.

Decided to do Picosure with the BOOST upgrade

Well, I have been holding out but now I have decided to remove two black tattoos, one on my finger and one on my forearm...both partially involve an ex's name and its time to remove them.

I am going to be one of the first patients to receive the Picosure laser with BOOST upgrade...which reduces the picosecond pulses from 700ps to 500 picoseconds...which apparently increases the photoacoustic effect by 75%.

I will post my before photographs over the weekend, and I will keep you all updated on the progress! BEST :)
So the boost is different than the PicoSure? Do you know if it works better with reds? I'm still trying to understand all this laser math.
Also, good luck! Its great hearing your insight and I hope to see pics from your treatment
Hey, where'd you get your information about how the boost affects treatments? From my understanding it just helps the machine warm up faster, which really only helps the technician. Thats what my laser technician said anyway.
Dr. Alex Kaplan