My Labiaplasty Experience - Los Angeles, CA

I have been bothered by my labia for almost as...

I have been bothered by my labia for almost as long as I can remember. When I first heard about this procedure 15+ years ago, I knew it was for me. Fast forward to earlier this year and I had finally saved the almost $10,000 it would cost for the procedure (labiaplasty + clitropexy with one of the best doctors in the world). I am sure I could have gotten this procedure done for less, but did not want to have to worry about the outcome. I will provide more information regarding my surgeon and ratings and such when the recovery is all said and done. Given the amount I paid and his reputation, I am hoping and expecting the best!

I traveled out to LA last Thursday to get the procedure done (about 3.5 hour flight from my home). I went by myself and did not actually tell anyone I was having this done. I had mentioned it to my mom a few times over the years, but she was not supportive of "cosmetic" surgery. I am also too embarrassed to talk about this with my friends and am currently single (and have been for a while due to the insecurities resulting from my labia). Needless to say, I was pretty terrified going through this on my own. My surgeon and his staff were very comforting though and made the experience a bit less scary.

I had the procedure done under general anesthesia, and the surgeons staff arranged for an aftercare nurse to stay with me for 6 hours after the procedure. I would highly recommend this even for those that have people with them as having a nurse who is familiar with the recovery process is very reassuring!

I had my procedure done at 7:30 am (day 1) and spent the remainder of that day and the entire two following days in my hotel bed only getting up to get ice, food, water, bathroom, etc. I was in a moderate amount of paid (mostly when moving), but the painkillers seem to help. I also had a drain in and was thus unable to shower which was somewhat annoying, although, given my limited mobility, probably for the best. Going pee was not so bad, however, I was extremely constipated and unable to have a bowel movement for almost 4 days. I am guessing this was due to the pain killers and probably also my fear of staining my muscles and ripping a suture. Walking is also very uncomfortable (I have to waddle like a penguin), and I have to be in a very certain position to sit comfortably. Aside from that, things are going ok.

Day 4 - I returned to my surgeon's office for the post op and to get the drain removed. He says everything looks great which is reassuring. Today is also the day I have to fly home and I am still waddling! Walking through the airport I am very self-conscious and uncomfortable, but thankfully I am in another city and won't ever have to see these people again. The flight was better as I was able to sit relatively comfortably. So glad to finally be home!

Day 5 - the itching has gotten much worse but Claritin seems to help significantly. I am still mostly laying in bed reading/watching TV, but did run to the pharmacy (driving is very uncomfortable as it is difficult to sit in my comfortable position and use the gas/brakes!) As far as how things look down there, a little scary which is what I expected. Swollen and slightly bruised. Despite this, I can tell that there has been significant improvement. I have read enough about the recovery process to know that the swelling is normal, but really hoping things start to at least feel a bit more comfortable soon. I still have 6 days off work, so I am hoping for significant improvement between now and then. One thing I am sure of is that I am glad I took extra time off work. Most docs say you should be good to work in just a few days if you have a sedentary job (I do), but I personally don't want to have to waddle into work and make excuses for my goofy walk!

Day 7

Today I felt better than I have since getting the surgery. Was up moving around a lot more, although definitely still walking funny. Things still look about the same, very swollen. There is not so much pain anymore, more just a bit uncomfortable and nervous about tearing. There seems to be some dried crusty blood/scab by my clit, however, the area is wayyyy to sensitive to touch and clean. I have been rinsing with water 2x per day and am hoping it washes away soon as it looks super gross, although everything does now, so I guess it doesn't matter! I am getting pretty bored of sitting at home and praying that I feel good enough to get out and about a bit this weekend, we'll see!

Hey there, been awhile since we heard from you...how are you doing?
Hi Brandy, I am considering getting this done, especially after reading your review and your story sounds like my own! I've felt this way for a long time but naturally, am pretty nervous. Since you had such a good experience, I would love to ask who your doctor is? Are you still feeling pretty happy about the outcome? Thanks so much for posting such an informative review!
How are you doing? I saw your pics and everything looks amazing!!! Do you have any progress pics? And or any sensitivity issues? I want to get the exact same procedure done by your dr... Excited to hear the details.
I just looked at your pics, and your results look amazing so far, such an improvement! I am so happy you are doing well and pleased!
Your going to have stellar results just take it easy!!! you don't want any stitches coming out! :}
Thanks for the encouragement!
All my friends know about my surgery I just don't care what people think no one is really perfect - and many of my friends are wanting it done too. They appreciate my honest even my clients it's so funny. I make light out of the situation because none of us are perfect :}
I so know what you mean about waddling though the airport, I had to do a 12 hour flight from Thailand to New Zealand 5 days after surgury I got so many weird looks walking through the airport and on the plane as I was so swollen I could close my legs, but this is all going to be worth it and all healed, I still can't believe I don't ever have to worry about this insecurity again it's such an amazing feeling. When are you planning on going back to work? I was meant to start back yesterday (day 10) but I was too swollen and sore and there has been no way of hiding it from friends and fam I've told everyone I have a sore as a cover up story how have you found it trying to hide the surgury from everyone?
I can't even imagine how you made it through a whole 12 hour flight!! My 6 hours of total travel time was bad enough! I have 4 more days off work. I am getting around a little better, but I am thinking that I might be still walking a bit funny by the time I go back. So far, I have been staying mostly at home and haven't seen any of my friends, thus my extreme boredom! When I have gone out, I have tried to make it look like I am limping, so people think it's more of a leg thing than my vag! I am sure I probably look more like a limping penguin though than someone with a leg/foot injury - oh well! I went snowboarding a few years ago and fell and twisted my knee and had to walk very slowly and with a limp for almost 3 weeks, so I am hoping that by the time I go back to work, I can fake a limp to explain my slow walk! I told everyone I was on a camping/hiking trip, so that coming back with an injury is a little more believable... Hopefully you will start getting around a bit better and able to go back to work...it is so frustrating that docs lead you to believe all will be fine in a few days...definitely not the case, but I think still worth it (hopefully!)
Nice work! I am so happy for you that you did it. I have done it 3 weeks ago now and I couldn't be more happy. Heal well, don't sit or lay down too much
Thank you! How are you feeling at 3 weeks? Back to your normal routine? Can't wait til I get there!
Today i had my stitches removed. And i am sooooo happy!!! Eventough I had and still have some open wounds because some stichtes broke but i am wearing a skinnyjeans right now and I have no pain or anything like that anymore. It is still healing but I couldn't be more happy with the results. I wish you the best girl!! Xx