Removal After 13 Years on 3/20/3013 at Kaiser Los Angeles

As a way of paying it forward and thanking the...

As a way of paying it forward and thanking the women who have posted, here is my story for future women. I have had saline implants done by Dr. Stuart Linder for 13 years(which I loved) but have had 3 severe bouts of capsular contracture that just keeps coming back, despite multiple revisions and replacements, so the implants are coming out! No lift yet, as I want more kids first.

I was a 36AA-A prior to full 36C implants with 360ccs. For reference, I am 5'9" and 150 pounds with a very broad upper body. I had the implants removed by Dr. DJ Lee at Kaiser in Los Angeles. The whole procedure took about 2 hrs as I had thick capsules on both breasts and contracture of the right breast. I have drains in now and feel pretty good for only 24 hrs out. My breasts don't look very pretty, as the nipple has puckered and inverted, but my doctor says it should take care of itself in time...fingers crossed. Here are some pics of the cc and the post-op boobies! (Note: I have a large scar on my left upper chest from a childhood burn)

Two weeks post-op: I had the drains removed on...

Two weeks post-op:

I had the drains removed on the 6th day after surgery. It was pretty painless, just an odd feeling to have 12 inches of tube uncoiled from each breast! I immediately went home and tried on a bunch of shirts which was a huge mistake because I was SO sore and in pain the next day from overusing the muscles. I actually had to stay home from work because of the pain and soreness, so be careful. The drains were good for me because during that week I drained probably 500-750ml of liquid from each breast...that's like a bottle of wine worth of liquid from each boob! At my two week post-op appt they also drained out another 23ml from my left breast(the one with the scar) as it has been more swollen. You can tell it has more fluid in it because it's a bit fuller and perkier than the right breast. The right breast skin was also more stretched out due to the cc, and you can tell it's going to take some time to firm up. Overall, pain is getting better and I am still wearing soft bras with pads. Not super loving how they look yet, but I suppose they are slowly healing up. I tried going for a run today and the jiggling was pretty uncomfortable, so I may wait a little longer before I resume full on workouts. Also, I am a skincare fanatic, so I have been applying a firming serum called Firmalift to my breasts twice a day along with CeraVe nighttime moisturizer...It can't hurt right? Here's to fast healing!

Quick update for the 4 week anniversary! Pain and...

Quick update for the 4 week anniversary! Pain and swelling has gone down a lot, though still some soreness in the sides of my breasts about 6 inches below my armpits, when I raise my arms over my head...maybe muscle just still reattaching? Went for a couple runs with no pain, however, went bra and bathing suit shopping which was very painful! I love not having the implants, but man am I flat chested! 36A is not an easy size to find. Not to mention the stretched out skin on the tops and sides of my breasts do not look great in a bikini top, but hopefully it will tighten up by summer, eeks! Still having some nipple pulling but trying to massage as much as possible. Also still waiting on the fluff fairy, but seeing as they just keep getting smaller and smaller, I may be waiting awhile! I'm okay with it though, just happy the huge hard implants are out forever!

4.5 months

Still peeking up a bit I think. I am SO happy still to have them out, no regrets at all. Not crazy about the scars, but I just started with some scar strips so we'll see how those do.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Lee is part of my Kaiser insurance plan. They will cover the cost of removal if you are having pain or distortion of the breast from capsular contracture. total cost is about $8,00 of which I have to pay 20% copay or $1,600.

Looking great! How are you doing now? So glad you shared! XOXO
Hi, just came across your site. You look great! Kaiser just did an ultrasound of my right breast last week because they saw the leak on my ct scan. Anyway, was your Kaiser doctor willing to do a lift if you hadwanted it? Thank you!
Unfortunately, if Kaiser is paying to have the implants removed for medical reasons, they will do nothing cosmetic at the time of the removal. Kaiser LA does have a plastic surgery department where you can pay out of pocket for cosmetic procedures like lifts and reimplanting.
I was going through your pictures and you look great already at 1 month, is the nipple area much better now from the side. I was also reading your story and I did not even notice your burn, how crazy, we often see what others dont. When I first saw your pictures i didnt catch it, only after you pointed it out, then I looked again until I found it. I have a burn on my hand and i love it :) nobody ever notices it though, only I do.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Can you please let me know how you got anyone in Kaiser to help you? How did you get them to know about your capsule contracture and what was your next step? I feel like I am lost in the Kaiser Shuffle!
You look great! Did you originally have the surgery via crease incision?
Thanks! No, I had nipple incisions originally but I want more kids and I can nurse now, so I didn't want to risk it with another nipple cutting!
How nice of Kaiser LA to remove your implants. My implants may be leaking silicone and I can't get an MRI. First, they just gave me a flat-out no. Then when I filled an IMR with the Department of Managed Health Care, they offered me a mammogram and an ultrasound. The ultrasound is only 60% accurate and forget the mammogram. They make you sign a piece of paper that says if they rupture your implant they won't replace it. I'm sure it's not usual to rupture an implant during a mammogram. I'm happy for you but I want to get my story to other woman who are having the same problem as me. I really need them to contact me.
WOW the improvement over the months is brilliant! Don't worry about the scars as in time they should go white and unnoticeable. Your shape is great! :) x
polojess, you look awesome! You've really bounced back!! I used the scar strips for 3 months and really feel they made a difference. How is your scar attachment progressing?Thanks for updating and a high five to another lady keeping it real here in LA! (There aren't so many of us- haha!). :-D
Your boobs look great - you definitely did not need a lift. $1,600 is an excellent price.
Thank you, good luck with yours!
Just a thought for you - I have been more comfortable going down 1 band size and up 1 cup size since I explanted. I was always wearing a 36 band size before, but post-explant I have been wearing 34C (I can also fit 36B). My measurements put me on the border of a 34/36 and going down the band size / up cup size has helped me with fitting and finding bras.
Thanks for the tip! My biggest problem is that I am very broad, big rib cage, and my breasts are really far apart. Seems any A cup bra is made for tiny girls whose boobs are only an inch apart!? I will try a B, but I don't even fill an A cup, so might be tough : /
Wow, pj, your boobs have really tightened up! I'm not sure your nips could get any perkier! I do wonder why the drains are so long when they are so close to the boobs? I really don't understand why they put so much tubing in there! But than goodness you had them because that's a crazy amount of fluid! Hope your discomfort gets better- brave girl to try going for a run so early!
You look great - thank you for sharing, it all helps. Pamper yourself, you deserve it.
I can't get over how perky your boobs are! They definitely moved up after explant! You look great!!!
Big changes since your post op pics....I think they will be great when all is said and one! Thanks for sharing your journey...it is so helpful. Take it easy and be patient with your natural self :-)

I can definitely see the improvement already. Hang in there!

That's a big change from day 1 to day 4, congrats you are looking great!!!
Polojess, Thanks for your pics. I came across this website after I had my explant surgery so I didnt post any pics. All what you describe, is what I went through on Feb.4. And your pics are very similar to what I looked like. I had less excess skin only becoz am very small. Was 34B. but I can see the significant improvement in your pics and this has also been my own experience. Improvement in how my breast look happens everyday/week. Thank you again for sharing your experience and helpful pics. Your post is very validating. best to you!
Congratulations, polojess! I see a massive improvement in just 4 days, imagine how great you are going to look in 4 months! I have one intra-boob scar that is puckering, but it does seem to be improving over time (I am 4 months out). You are going to end up with some lovely, perky boobies when you are fully healed! :)
You have GREAT boobs, wow! Thanks for the encouragement, hopefully it will work itself out on both of us!
Thanks, pj! I am pretty happy with them- soft and all me! Let's hope for the best! Elle1991 is my booby scar idol! LOL. I see you have already reached out to her! Do you think your scars are actually adhered? It looks like they might be just temporarily a little depressed because the skin hasn't retracted fully yet.
Definitely a lot of loose skin! But I can tell they are adhesions to the muscle bc they move up and down when I raise my arms up and down :/ Going to doc tomorrow to hopefully get these damn drains out and see what he says about the nipple pucker. Thanks for the support!