42 Year Old Wife and Mom - Longview, TX

My MOHS surgery is scheduled for one week from...

My MOHS surgery is scheduled for one week from today. I am a nervous wreck.

I went to my dermatologist to have a couple of places checked out. After a PAINFUL injection and a biopsy the results came back as basal cell carcinoma. I was praising the Lord for the great results (no melanoma). The location of my bcc is on my left cheek, under my eye, and close to my nose. I realized I am more vain than I originally thought. A lot of my (well meaning) friends say the surgery will go well and the scar will heal nicely.....but it's not their face. I have attached a picture of my healing biopsy. I will post pics of the after.

Surgery Over

My surgery was a success! I am very pleased ----- so far. The incision is not as big as I feared!

I have the big compression bandage on for another day, but the doctor allowed pictures to be taken on phone before they bandaged up the incision.

Upper left is the small mole I had examined. Upper right is after biopsy---again, a very small place. The two bottom pictures are of the incision once closed.

I'm thankful all the cancer was removed!

Large compression bandage

This looks plain silly! It itches my nose like crazy!! I'll be ready to take it off tomorrow evening.

Compression Bandage Off

Small black eye and just a bit of swelling. Still pleased!

Six days post-op

Very pleased with my results so far! I'm ready (and nervous) to get my stitches out Tuesday.

8 days post-op

I had my stitches removed this morning. They put more "flesh" colored tape on the incision. It will come off in 7 days. I'm still very pleased. ((The stitches hurt like poop coming out!!))

2 Weeks Post-Op

This was taken July 14th.
I'm still extremely pleased with the results. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it as well.

5 Weeks Post-op

Five weeks post-op and healing nicely! First two pictures are without make-up and the 2nd two are with make-up. (Taken today)

My son gave me a huge compliment today: we were face to face talking and he noticed the scar. He said, "wow! Your face looks amazing! I forgot all about the surgery. You can't even see it. "
Dr. Alyn Hatter

So patient and kind. He answered all my questions - honestly. He didn't discount my fears. I didn't feel rushed. I'm one day post-op, but as of today- I could not be happier! Dr. Hatter receives 5 Stars for all. I can't rate each category -- yet.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Looks really great! Can't tell at all with makeup on and without makeup you barely even notice. Hope mine heals as well and fast as yours. Get stitches out in 2 days...woohoo! :)
....." Quick Healer "...ruining the heal time for this procedure ...!
Sent you a message.
Tell the younger ( college ) generation you were in a fight ,with a little nose damage . You could be the hottiest most respected student on campus ! Bottom line.. it will heal ,and look unnoticeable.. promise ( but usually takes a couple of months ) .
Freddy, that's funny! If anything, I hope to bring awareness to the younger generation about the importance of using sunscreen and forgoing the use of tanning beds. At their age, I never thought about the consequences and thought that it only affected the older generation that was exposed to the UV rays on a more regular basis and those that looked like rubber due to many years of overexposure. I'm sure we all think on the positive side at some point (and that's good), that we won't be the one of the "1 out of 3" people that will develop any type of cancer during our lifetime. It wasn't till I had kids that I began to become more aware of the possibles of anything. Even more so now that I have become one of the "1 out of 3" people ratio.
Notice on national news yesterday ...skin cancer is all time record rate ...sadly even youth in their teens and 20's have been diagnosed . Makes you wonder even with the information ( I wish I had at that age ) ...Thks !
Thank you both for being willing to talk about skin cancer. It is definitely an issue. I'm a little bit paranoid about sun protection but I'm shocked at the number of people who still sit under tanning beds a few times a week, or lay out in the sun. :-/ It just isn't worth the risk.
Sharon, I completely agree, unfortunately people like me did not acknowledge the risk until it actually happened. It is definitely a wake up call.
Congratulations for getting it taken care of!:) What a relief I have a recent diagnosis of melanoma on my right cheek. Im just wondering did your mohs surgeon also do the closure. It looks very nice. My options givin to me were to wait a day for closure by a different surgeon, so Im still thinking about it. Im 41:)
I'm sorry that you are going to go through the MOHS surgery and especially your diagnosis. My MOHS surgeon did my closure - and on the same day. The incision is visible but barely. He did an amazing job. He did the "circular" cut and then cut the wound into a football shaped cut. He then did a layer of internal stitches, very close together, and then the other layer of stitches. Good luck to you!
I had MOHS on my nose in February 2014 and after much research chose to have the MOHS surgeon do the closure instead of a plastic surgeon. My research told me that plastic surgeons do a variety of operations but MOHS surgeons generally have specially training in closure of defects after MOHS. They also may have done more repairs of this type than plastic surgeons. Also, there is some doctors who believe that closing the wound immediately give a better long term result. I am very happy with that decision. Best wishes for an easy surgery and 100% cure. Beverly
Thanks, and I love your son's comment, very encouraging. They are very honest, sounds like something my 8yr old son would say;) I'm flying to LA to have mine done there. Nervous but I know it will be good, just gotta be patient with the healing.
So glad I found this website and your post! I'm having the MOHs surgery in 3 days on an area between the bridge of my nose and my eye. Being 38 years old and going to college full-time has me concerned about the stitches and praying that it won't be noticeable when I start back for the fall semester on Aug 24th. Not that I'm vain, however it's hard enough to fit in with other students that are half my age. I would love to see an update and picture of yours to see how about how fast it heals. Thank you again for your post and updates. I will also share my experience along the way!
You are going to be so happy with your results! I am amazed. I just returned from church camp and didn't wear any make-up. Most people didn't even see the scar! They forgot I had it done. Good luck with school. I JUST graduated in December (2013). The kids you're in class with will admire you. I will post more pics asap!
Thank you for the frequent updates and pics. Looks like you're doing great so far! Did your stitches come out on Tuesday as planned?
You healed very nicely. I get mine out in a week. mine have to stay in for 2 weeks. but im pleased how fast it heals each day. If you want to still exchange emails let me know. Robin from AZ
I just emailed you:)
...42 wife/mom...looking good ...congratulations !!
Thank you so much!
I do take this all very seriously, sometimes I get carried away with my writing. I would be happy to answer any questions about my/the Mohs experience. I sincerely hope everyone is doing well. It can be an awakening and a life changing event. For me I have decided after researching, to include additional supplements, foods in my diet along with the obvious sunscreen.
Found new respect and appreciation for " sunscreen" ....if only....!
You ROCK! I love reading updates on you. Please keep them coming. Beverly
So I do really like the gel sunscreen and the spray on kind. The spray being easier to apply. I am obviously not an expert on sunscreen...but am paying attention now. So I have a L'Oreal 30 and a Solbar Thirty (from the derm office). I hope that is enough.
Awe.. it looks great.. and it is healing very, very well ! It is amazing how we heal. One week we have swelling, bruising, stitches, staples and a few weeks later...Voila!