42 Year Old Wife and Mom - Longview, TX

My MOHS surgery is scheduled for one week from...

My MOHS surgery is scheduled for one week from today. I am a nervous wreck.

I went to my dermatologist to have a couple of places checked out. After a PAINFUL injection and a biopsy the results came back as basal cell carcinoma. I was praising the Lord for the great results (no melanoma). The location of my bcc is on my left cheek, under my eye, and close to my nose. I realized I am more vain than I originally thought. A lot of my (well meaning) friends say the surgery will go well and the scar will heal nicely.....but it's not their face. I have attached a picture of my healing biopsy. I will post pics of the after.

I completely understand and feel for you. My experience has changed my life forever. I had my surgery on 6/17/2014. Luckily it was only 1 stage. However I question whether we could have used a less invasive approach. So hard to know when it is under the skin and we don't know how far the roots are and how fast it is growing. The first few days after surgery are the most uncomfortable and scary. The swelling was the scariest for me. It looked like I was going to have black eyes. A boxer look. I went and bought some Arnicare and that helped tremendously ! I also got some band aids (clear on adhesive) cut them down to size on my own. The ones from the doctors office looked like solar panels. I was good about keeping it clean etc. Today I had my last staples and the last few stitches removed. My complexion in that area actually looks better. It is a process. I I sincerely hope that you are doing well.
Oh I truly feel for you as I just went through this on February 4th. So many people shared their experiences with me which was very helpful because their scars were completely undetectable. Even though this helped a bit, my fears were still very pronounced. There is not much you can do except to live through it knowing that in the end all will be great. My bcc was on the side of my nose and after having nightmares about a big gaping hole in my face, the deformity was about the size of a pencil eraser. I had no pain whatsoever but it was difficult to keep a bandage on my nose. At first the area is numb but as feeling returns the repair will become very itchy. I have a bit of a raised bump still on my nose and will have another very minor procedure to lessen its prominence. Of course, everyone says it is invisible but it is not but it will be in about another 6 months to a year. This is a small price to pay for complete cancer excision with no chemo or radiation. I am very pleased and I hope the same results for you. It will all be in your past before you know it.
Thank you for your comments. I hope I have the same results. I pray you continue healing completely and no other bcc's appear. Again, thank you!

Surgery Over

My surgery was a success! I am very pleased ----- so far. The incision is not as big as I feared!

I have the big compression bandage on for another day, but the doctor allowed pictures to be taken on phone before they bandaged up the incision.

Upper left is the small mole I had examined. Upper right is after biopsy---again, a very small place. The two bottom pictures are of the incision once closed.

I'm thankful all the cancer was removed!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Large compression bandage

This looks plain silly! It itches my nose like crazy!! I'll be ready to take it off tomorrow evening.

Thank You for follow up...was wondering about you...!!!! Six months " Good as New !!!
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much for posting this follow up. I have been worried about you all yesterday. In a few months the scar will be unnoticeable. I am so thrilled that you are cancer free! The big bandage is a bummer but it will be off soon. Healing hugs and thoughts will be sent your way. Beverly

Compression Bandage Off

Small black eye and just a bit of swelling. Still pleased!

Looking good, pretty lady!
I had MOHs on the bridge of my nose on Monday, they had hoped to close with stitches......but ended up taking a graft from behind my ear. My ear hurts more than my nose .......not so much of a pain more of a "tightness" from the stitches. I'm hoping my graft will heal well, looks bad as of now.
I just had my MOHs surgery yesterday, as well, but on my nose. I, too, am very pleased with the outcome and relieved. You look GREAT and I am sure with time, it will be almost unnoticeable. Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a quick recovery!

Six days post-op

Very pleased with my results so far! I'm ready (and nervous) to get my stitches out Tuesday.

It looks great! No one will be able to see any scars once it is healed up. Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing from you. Imagine just a few short weeks ago you were fearful. The relief that the surgery is in the past must be great. Best wishes, Beverly

8 days post-op

I had my stitches removed this morning. They put more "flesh" colored tape on the incision. It will come off in 7 days. I'm still very pleased. ((The stitches hurt like poop coming out!!))

Congratulations for getting it taken care of!:) What a relief I have a recent diagnosis of melanoma on my right cheek. Im just wondering did your mohs surgeon also do the closure. It looks very nice. My options givin to me were to wait a day for closure by a different surgeon, so Im still thinking about it. Im 41:)
I'm sorry that you are going to go through the MOHS surgery and especially your diagnosis. My MOHS surgeon did my closure - and on the same day. The incision is visible but barely. He did an amazing job. He did the "circular" cut and then cut the wound into a football shaped cut. He then did a layer of internal stitches, very close together, and then the other layer of stitches. Good luck to you!
I had MOHS on my nose in February 2014 and after much research chose to have the MOHS surgeon do the closure instead of a plastic surgeon. My research told me that plastic surgeons do a variety of operations but MOHS surgeons generally have specially training in closure of defects after MOHS. They also may have done more repairs of this type than plastic surgeons. Also, there is some doctors who believe that closing the wound immediately give a better long term result. I am very happy with that decision. Best wishes for an easy surgery and 100% cure. Beverly

2 Weeks Post-Op

This was taken July 14th.
I'm still extremely pleased with the results. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it as well.

Sent you a message.
Tell the younger ( college ) generation you were in a fight ,with a little nose damage . You could be the hottiest most respected student on campus ! Bottom line.. it will heal ,and look unnoticeable.. promise ( but usually takes a couple of months ) .
Freddy, that's funny! If anything, I hope to bring awareness to the younger generation about the importance of using sunscreen and forgoing the use of tanning beds. At their age, I never thought about the consequences and thought that it only affected the older generation that was exposed to the UV rays on a more regular basis and those that looked like rubber due to many years of overexposure. I'm sure we all think on the positive side at some point (and that's good), that we won't be the one of the "1 out of 3" people that will develop any type of cancer during our lifetime. It wasn't till I had kids that I began to become more aware of the possibles of anything. Even more so now that I have become one of the "1 out of 3" people ratio.

5 Weeks Post-op

Five weeks post-op and healing nicely! First two pictures are without make-up and the 2nd two are with make-up. (Taken today)

My son gave me a huge compliment today: we were face to face talking and he noticed the scar. He said, "wow! Your face looks amazing! I forgot all about the surgery. You can't even see it. "

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Looks really great! Can't tell at all with makeup on and without makeup you barely even notice. Hope mine heals as well and fast as yours. Get stitches out in 2 days...woohoo! :)
....." Quick Healer "...ruining the heal time for this procedure ...!
Dr. Alyn Hatter

So patient and kind. He answered all my questions - honestly. He didn't discount my fears. I didn't feel rushed. I'm one day post-op, but as of today- I could not be happier! Dr. Hatter receives 5 Stars for all. I can't rate each category -- yet.