Invisalign for overcrowding and overbite - London, GB

So I am in my first week of trays. I need a...

So I am in my first week of trays. I need a whopping 36 trays, for top and bottom and have loads of attachments.

The good news is that the tray hasn't hurt so far! Also, my boyfriend (who I live with) hasn't noticed that I'm wearing braces. I deliberately kept it a secret as I wanted to test how invisible Invisalign really is. It has been 5 days now and he seemingly doesn't have a clue!

The bad news is that as I am a high school teacher, I've been very self conscious at work. I have developed a lisp that is showing no signs of going. It is really affecting my work as I feel weird talking to my classes (which of course I can't avoid).

I'm hoping this lisp is more noticeable to me than anybody else, as no one, not even the boyfriend, has commented on a change in my speech.

Due to the attachments, I feel I have to be careful how I talk and I definitely can't raise my voice or my mouth full of attachments would be visible to all.

Removing the retainers at work and brushing my teeth after lunch in school is proving very difficult as there really is no privacy where I work. I will have to master the art of secretive removal.

Far to early to say if it is worth it yet. I really hope so as I am feeling very daunted by the prospect of of 36 trays, loads of attachments, a stubborn and being exposed to the scrutiny of over 100 teenagers a day!

Will post some a picture up soon so you can track the progress and decide if it will be worth it for you.

Photos

Twoplusone - I will definitely try to vary meal times. One. Couple of days, I have free lessons, so can reduce the meal time trauma by eating before/after the school lunch hour.

Angelannie - it is good to hear from someone at a similar stage in the treatment, and a fellow educator too! I'm glad your lisp is getting better!

Update since last post - lisp is still here, but ever so slightly better. Still self-conscious in front of classes, but, with the exception of a parents' evening, I've been confident enough to wear the brace for the full 22 hours.

I think the retainer is genuinely moving the teeth as they ache a little now, but it is not too bad.

I'm now suffering from severe dry mouth and several cuts. Judging from other people's experiences I am hopeful these issues will resolve themselves.

In truth, I have been having a bit of a crisis about the Invisalign and wondering if it is really going to work and if it will be worth 18 months of this. However, I've just taken photos for this site...I can really see how bad my current teeth are. I guess you don't really see your teeth that often, so looking at the photos is really helpful as it really has reminded me why I was so desperate to fix them!

Tray 6

Hi, so I am on tray 6 now. I think there have been some minor improvements, but still 30 trays to go! With the slight shifts, the attachments have become much less noticeable.

Good news is that I am now completely confident with the retainers in. No students have noticed and to be honest I wouldn't mind even if they did comment now. I'd just tell them the truth - yes I have braces!

Close friends haven't noticed either and have been shocked if I've told them!

The lisping has completely gone as have the cuts and ulcers.

This will sound odd, but I now actually prefer to have the retainers in. I am convinced they mKe my teeth look shinier and whiter. Also, I like wearing them because I feel I am doing my teeth some good.

Photos posted for comparison with tray 1.

Tray 18 of 36

I am now on tray 18 of 36. The trays so far have been pushing my teeth forward to straighten them. The next stage will involve slightly broadening my smile (apparently invisalign isn't great at this) and then pushing the teeth upwards and back again.

I am quite pleased with the improvements so far. I know my smile will never be amazing using invisalign, but so far so good.

Watch this space for more photo updates!

Lowers complete - fixed retainer

So my lower teeth are complete. They were hardly wonky at all to be honest, which is why I never bothered with a photo of them!

I am now on tray 22. Apparently my lower teeth were finished at tray 11 and the last 11 trays have all been identical! I'm a bit annoyed that I've been unnecessarily wearing the trays and that I was so poorly briefed on the treatment that I thought I had 36 trays on the lower teeth as well as on the top teeth.

Anyway...my orthodontist has now fitted a fixed wire behind the front teeth of the lower set. Even though this has been fixed, I have a more robust retainer that I now just need to wear at night for 3months. After that I can wear it every other night and keep on reducing wear.

I'm a bit confused as to why a fixed retainer needs to be supplemented with a removable one...? Can anyone enlighten me?y orthodontist said that the fixed retainer won't prevent movements at the back. Does this mean my teeth will always be at risk of reverting to the original position?

Has anyone else had a fixed retainer? Has it kept your teeth in place over a long period of time?

Thanks in advance!

photo update

tray 28

Tray 28/36 is underway. These final trays are designed the push my teeth back and upwards into the gums. This is to reduce the overbite and create a nicer looking smile. Not long to go now!!

Tray 30/36

The end is in sight! Just 6 trays to go!

tray 30/36

Twoplusone, iv only just seen your request from November. Picture of more open mouth posted! The teeth are gradually moving upwards!