Labia Plasty Experience – London, UK

Since I was about 15 (so for 11 years now) I had...

Since I was about 15 (so for 11 years now) I had always been so self consious of the appearance of my vagina.
I considered surgery but was too scared and I tried everything I could in my power to learn to love how I looked.
I never had a boyfriend comment negatively but on the occasions I had sex or was naked in front of another I would freeze up and just feel so embarest.
I was only comfortable with the lights off.

I used to stand naked in front of the mirror and tell myself that I shouldn't focus on this one part of my body, this imperfection. That I should look at myself as a whole person and learn to accept this part of me I did not like the look of.

This led to me loosing weight, eating healthily, wearing expensive clothes, always having my hair done and make up done.
I thought if I made every part of me look as perfect as possible then maybe this one imperfection won't bother me anymore

But it did still bother me.
Because I knew under my layers of clothes that it was there.
And it made me feel un-feminine.
No amount of dresses or make up made me feel girly.
Most importantly I didn't feel like a woman.

It shocked me how I could not curb this thought.
There are other parts of my body I'm not a great fan of but I've always managed to except them.

So after 11 years I booked the surgery and went in on Thursday 27th Feb.

I was put to sleep during the operation and was back an awake in my room after 1 hour.

The pain was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am so pleased I have had it done as I feel like a woman already.
I feel proud of how I look down stairs and can't wait for all the swelling/ bruising to go down so I can see the final result.

I've done a photo for you to show you how it looks post op and I'll do another in a months time to show you how it looks then.

I am a little concerned with the bruising and the swelling of the clitoral hood. So if anyone could re-assure or advise me on that I would be really grateful.

So a little update.... It is day 9 today and since I posted the photo (3 days after my op) there have been so many changes I thought it would be helpful for others to say what I've been through. So as you can see in the photo nothing looked too bad post op, it was just a bit sore and a little swollen and bruised. But the following day (day 4) swelling began to get really bad. It was mainly around the clitoral hood but it was rock hard and there were several little bumps of flesh covering that area. My labia were still not visable. I started to worry as it was looking worse not better. A post op appointment with my nurse confirmed everything was ok and no infection so that put my mind at rest that the swelling wasn't a result of anything bad. I hadn't iced the area yet so on day 6 I spent all day with a strategically placed bag of frozen peas icing the area on and off for about 30 minutes each time. By day 7 it still looked the same but I noticed the skin around the top of the clitoral hood was slightly softer. I repeated this on day 7 and by day 8 I noticed almost all the skin around the clitoral hood was softer (not rock hard like before). It still looked awful but I was glad it was starting to feel a little bit softer. On day 8 I drove for an hour and sat down to watch a show. When I returned home that night I bled a lot so I must of irritated it somehow. It Feels a bit annoying that it's still bleeding after over a week now and I'm not sure why. So day 9 today..... Still can't see my Labia, clitoral hood is still very swollen with a few hard bumps. (Although starting to feel softer) Has anyone else had the same experience?
My procedure was done approx. 4 mths ago. I remember being swollen for a good 8 days (exactly). I used plenty of ice packs (the colder the better) and stayed off my feet. I actually popped a stitch from going food shopping within the week post-surgery. So I really recommend no to very little mobility to heal properly. But you do look good and be proud that you took a giant leap forward towards self-improvement for no one but yourself. Best of luck . . . . You are doing well!
Popping a stitch is so common, I had one pop as well...went back on me feet to early -good tips :)  Thanks J_nina

Day 9

Still really swollen and lumpy around clitoral hood.
Started bleeding again last night.
Nurse said all is healing well.

Looking worse not better

So a little update....
But the following day (day 4) swelling began to get really bad.
My labia were still not visable.
I started to worry as it was looking worse not better.

On day 8 I drove for an hour and sat down to watch a show.
When I returned home that night I bled a lot so I must of irritated it somehow.

So day 9 today.....
(Although starting to feel softer)

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Week two

Hi so today is 2 weeks since the operation.
I read a lot of recovery posts from other people and they didn't seem the same as my experience.
Instead of getting less swolen I was looking worse everyday.
I wanted to post photos to help other people but it looked so bad I was too ashamed.
The swelling around my clitoral hood was so bad and it didn't look like I had any labia at all.
I've iced a lot more and I've finally stopped bleeding 2 days ago.
It's very slowly becoming less swollen and very slowly starting to take shape.
Still a bit sore at times but I can walk without any pain.
It's just sitting down can be a bit uncomfortable.

I want to reassure anyone who is in their first 2 weeks that it's ok if it looks awful.
It's one step forward two steps back as anything can irritate it and start the swelling off.
Just keep icing and stay off your feet.

everyday ur results will change, hang in there, im 6weeks post now and can finally relax knowing everything went great. hang in there, and soon u'll enjoy ur new best friend ;P
Looks like a trim surgery. It gets the extra lips out of the way the uneven edge is part of the trim technique. A well done Wedge surgery looks more clean. Happy you are happy tho. :)
well i got the wedge done, and literally cannot see my scars, maybe its becuase i have dark skin, wedge can go wrong aswel, its not about whats better, wedge r trim, its simply about how good the surgeon is x

Not too sure this is getting better

So today is week three....
I expected to see some really positive results by now by I'm actually a bit worried I've been left disfigured.
I don't appear to have any labia left just lumps and sores.

I went to have cosmetic surgery and specifically asked for clitoral hood reduction.
I said in my consultation that if I have clitoral hood reduction then my labia might then appear bigger so I want them reduced aswell.

I said I wanted as much as possible off my clitoral hood without causing any problems.
The surgeon said he wouldn't remove everything as that can cause problems.
I agreed didn't want everything removed.

It looks like I haven't had any of my clitoral hood reduced and I have no labia.
I also have a weird lump of skin just under my clitoral hood.

Can anyone tell me if they looked like this and it got better? Or if I have been disfigured?

I'm really worried.

Hi, I'm 17 years old and had a trim labiaplasty almost five weeks ago. I was surprised how similar yours looks to mine! My surgeon cut off a lot more than I wanted aswell and my clitoral hood looks so much more prominent now. Mine has also gotten a bit softer as the weeks have progressed but still feels/looks odd. Maybe a few months down the line it will completely soften to how it was before and hopefully effectively 'melt' into the labia majora and not look so obvious. How are you getting on now?xx
Hi yes I'm good thanks as I went to see my surgeon today. He has completely reassured me and went through all the medical reasons why I look this way. Thank fully it's a case of some people heal faster than others and be expects my recovery to be about 4 months until I get the final results. He said the skin around the clitoral hood is full or nerve endings that lead the the clitorous itself. As this is such a delicate area it is done last in some cases. Mine was done last. The surgeon said that the labia will definitely show and they have not been removed. Again this is a swelling issue making the labia appear flat. My main concern was I had a lot of swelling at the beginning in the first 2 weeks and then it seemed like it had gone down. I thought this was the result I was left with but it's not even close. So I am sooo relieved. Although it doesn't look great right now I've been assured all the lumpy bits will go and the I will be really happy with the final result. As a slower healer I have been advised not to run/excersize for another 2 weeks which is annoying but I'm sure it will fly by x
Sorry that message is full of spelling mistakes! Basically were gonna be fine and we are the slower healers that may take up to 6 months until we get the final result. My surgeon thinks about 4 months for me. I don't mind waiting as long as I get the results I want. Keep me posted with your recovery as we are about the same amount of time x

1 month post surgery

So I've wanted to keep an update on my progress as I'm hoping it's helpful for some people and also for people who have had the procedure to help me too.

I've seen my surgeon at the beginning of the week who told me I am still really swolen which is perfectly normal.
He explained a lot about my surgery and how my labia minora haven't appeared yet because the swelling is where my body is trying to protect an intimate part of me.

Up until yesterday I wasn't convinced but today I can see a difference.
It's literally what a difference one day can make in this recovery.

I noticed some stitches round the clitoral hood got really long and now they appear to have vanished!

I've uploaded some photos for an update... Starting to feel a bit weird about taking these photos but I'm doing it to help others as I wish I had seen something like this as the whole recovery so far has been such a worry.

So here we are week 4 and 1 day

Glad that you feel much more content with your flower now, and as a being who was discontent with my labia before I even hit my teens, I know how great it feels to be at peace with what I look like now! Wishing you speedy recovery :)
So pleased you posted this update, as I'm 3 weeks post-op and look exactly the same. I am really worried my surgeon has removed too much, especially on one side, making my clitoral hood look massively out of proportion. It's also so lumpy and none of my stitches appear to have dissolved. I really hope your surgeon is right, I saw mine last week and was too embarrassed to ask whether too much has been taken off. But he did say the lumpiness will completely go and I will have a smooth line. I also visited my GP to get another opinion (and because it was infected but my clinic did nothing... Didn't even send off my swabs to check - my surgeon said it was probably just thrush when it clearly wasn't!) who said while it may be slightly uneven it will be in the normal spectrum... Is this satisfactory? I don't want it to be in the normal spectrum, I want it to be perfect. I was in the normal spectrum before but I paid £3000 to make it perfect. I don't have the money to pay former surgery! Thank you again for your post, if you could keep us updated it would be massively appreciated :)
Thank you so much for your update, the photos are very appreciated as it really paints a picture of the process and will  help others so much. I am so glad you are healing up well - keep us posted :)

5 weeks and 2 days post surgery

So things are certainly hurting less, almost completely pain free and where I had opened wounds there is only one bit that is still not completely closed.
The final appearance is not really any nearer to what I would like.

My surgeon told me I had a very big clitoros but I'm not sure if that's just an excuse for not removing as much from my clitoral hood as I would have liked.

If there is any professional advice as to whether the flesh around my clitoral hood will reduce further? or if It is possible to still have more removed without causing problems? I would be really grateful for any advice.

Although my photos the clitoral hood looks really swolen, (as it has been) it's still smaller than what it was before I had the procedure.
I wish I had taken a before and after now.
It used to be so big it held my outer lips apart really wide. And there was so much flesh around the top of my inner lips where they met the clitoral hood that they held my outer lips open aswell.
So it's apprent to me that a lot has been removed as my outer lips can now close.
I'm just still a bit disappointed with the appearance especially that my clitoral hood still seems quite big.
But I must remember I still have months to go until I get the final result.

I've bravely attached more photos to show this weeks progress and to hopefully help anyone following my recovery.

If there is any professional or experienced advice about my appearance at this point of recovery id be really grateful.

Hope you are all doing well

X

I wish you had posted more pre-op photos, I don't see anything unusual about the way your vagina looks. You explain very well how you felt about the way you look but I am left to wonder what was the issue?

6 weeks and 5 days

Here is an update of my progress.
Still no sign of my labia minora.
Still quite a lot of flesh around the clitoros but much less noticeable when I am in a standing position.

Still a bit too sore for intercourse.

I've been told it will be 4 months until my final result so I'm hoping my labia will look more natural by then.

What do people think of my progress in comparison to theirs at this stage?

Looks great at 6.5 weeks! I'm currently 8 weeks and mine doesn't look as good as yours! I still have a lot of clitoral swelling to go down and it still hasn't softened to the way it was before. How are you doing at the moment?X
I'm good thanks still a bit sore. How's your recovery going? Yea yesterday it looked great from a standing position and the overall swelling seemed to have 'deflated' lol. But today it's all swollen again so I guess it's still one step forward two steps back In terms of the appearance during recovery. We will have perfect ones by the end!.... We hope :) X
Ive heard the bumpiness from a trim will smooth out over time. Just need to wait!

8 weeks post op

Hi,

So things are going ok.
I think most of the swelling has gone down just still waiting for my inner labia to take shape.... Or appear.

I still haven't managed to have intercourse as there is still a part that hasn't healed properly which I think is down to a burst stitch during the first few weeks of healing.

All in all a much better week of recovery and I'm not so horrified when I look down there.

Photo update aswell :)

3 months- not too sure

So it's been 3 months and at one point I started to look a lot better.
But my main concern was my clitoral hood which has almost gone back to it's original size.
I am still waiting for my labia to show. There are some signs of growth near the clitoral hood but it still looks 'top heavy'.
What do people think?
I am worried about asking for a revision to reduce my clitoral hood further to match the severe reduction of the labia.
Would I need to pay for that?
The surgeon told my my clitoris was very large which is why there's still excess skin but I am not so sure as it's burried in there somewhere and doesn't look big to me at all.
What would you do?

Hey, I've been thinking about doing this operation since I was...16? But I'm really scared, what if I regret if afterwards? Seeing that you've done it, now that it's been a few months, would you recommend me to do this operation? Do you regret having done it? Knowing how it was all gonna turn out to be, would you do it again? I'm just really worried about the consequences as you can see.. (excuse my english, I'm from Spain)
Hello, Your English is fine don't worry :) Well I can't say a definite yes or no right now. The reason why is my surgeon said I am healing very slowly so I still have not seen my final result. It could be 4-6 months until I can see the final result. I was so self concious of how I looked before and it really got me feeling down. So in one way I am really pleased I had this procedure done because I have tried to sort out my problem. Although I am not quite happy with my results at the moment it still looks a lot better than before I had the operation. I will wait to see my final result in a few months time and if I am not happy I will have the procedure done again. If there is nothing they can do then I will still be happy that I have done everything I can to make myself look better. I think then I will be able to try and accept the way I look knowing I have done all I can. In terms of pain after the operation, that has not put me off. But definitely book a week off work (or more if you can) as it's good to keep still and rest. I had no idea what the recovery would be like so I posted photos to show others what to expect. I hope that has been helpful.
Thanks for the quick reply:) It helps a lot to speak with somebody who has done it. I hope everything goes fine with your recovery, good luck.

Update almost 4 months

I went to see my surgeon this week for a check up and I thought what they told me might be useful to share.

I mentioned that some days I have been looking really close to what I wanted and others days my clitoral hood would be so swollen that it would look like not enough skin had been removed.

The surgeon examined me and explained why this is happening.
They firstly said there is a very thin layer of flesh above the clitoris and it is so sensitive that even after months of surgery it can still swell a lot.
This is caused by fluid entering this thin layer and pushing any access skin up and that is what is giving me the look of a protruding clitoral hood.

This happens on a small scale whenever you have intercourse or irritate the area anyway so this is probably present even with someone who hasn't had any surgery.
But it is much more pronounced because of the surgery still.

He said after 6-8 months this should stop happening.

It really put my mind at rest as to why it kept looking so big one day and fine the next.

He also drew me a diagram showing me where the nerves are surrounding the clitoris and explained he would not want to removed anymore flesh because it could damage a nerve.

I'm so relieved and I'm starting to be really comfortable physically and mentally with how I look down there.

I will keep updating photos and If anyone has any questions id be happy to help the best I can

X

I had this same procedure 3 months ago and now experiencing numbness and loss of sensation. Has anyone else had this problem?
Bluesky101...do you have any discomfort? I'm 5 months out and don't have any numbness but still have sensitive areas.
I do have discomfort, it's like having a rock in your shoe you can't do anything about and it's hard to describe. It's more of an annoying feeling up top and numbness below. What method did you have? My doc didn't give me options and he cut off more than he said he was going too! My labia is non-existent now! Very disappointed and depressed.

4 months photo update

I really believed that I wasn't improving as even up to 3.5 months it wasn't looking right down there.
My doctor first said 4 months until it's totally healed but now it will be 6-8 months for the final result.
Recently the swelling is getting less and less even in that extra 2 weeks so much has changed.
I am so pleased with the results compared to what I was before

I'm not sure I understand what your doctor's take on swelling is. It seems he is saying you are swollen, so that's why you don't have any labia? It looks to me like he amputated it, it can't exactly grow back where he cut it off right? Just something I found a bit confusing, I don't like how he changed his answer about final results either. But I did want to say I'm really happy you are feeling better about your results. Are you experiencing any pain? How does it look to you now? Wishing you luck in your recovery
It looks better now and yes a lot has been removed but compared to what it was before it's a small price to pay. The swelling is to do with my clitoral hood and this will reduce in time and it has done a lot. Just some days it gets over irritated but they are few and far between now. I don't get any pain now and overall I am happier and less self concious of my appearance. It's not perfect in any way but in the wise words of a friend of mine "a fanny's a fanny who cares" haha! and I am happy without the dangly bits so I guess all is good. I'll post more photos soon X
Awesome, your results look great!
Dr joe