Possible Cause of Stroke and Near Death - London, England

30 hrs post-injection, had difficultly swallowing...

30 hrs post-injection, had difficultly swallowing & was talking w/ a lisp.Wasn't better the next day, so went to hospital the next day for suspected allergic reaction. A week later, went into cardiac arrest. Was on life support for 1 wk & stayed 5 wks. It was a brain stem stroke & lucky to be alive.

I've had Juvederm/Restylane before w/o issue, so I wasn't worried when I bought a KGB deal for this. A nurse did the treatment who had solid experience. I know I had a super rare reaction but I'll never do it again. It scared the hell out of me. I'm having to delay completion of my MSc b/c my brain isn't cooperating as before. I don't know if I'll ever feel the same as before again, even though I know my stroke damage was minimal compared to others. I'm really lucky to even be walking and talking.

It sounds like you had a TIA that randomly coincided with the belotero injection. The difficulty swallowing and lisping, which I assumed resolved, sound very much neurological in nature, not so much like an allergic reaction, and fit very well with the subsequent CVA. Neurogenic stress could (rarely) cause cardiac arrest. It really sounds like a very unfortunate situation (stroke) that coincidentally occurred after an injection. There is no mention of respiratory compromise, so it really does not sound like allergic reaction at all.

Sorry, I'm just seeing these comment SO much later than they were posted, but feel they deserve a response regardless! :/ The docs later decided it wasn't a 'allergic reaction' to the injection. Being doctors, they were hesitant to conclusively say that the injection actually caused it, simply because there's not a machine that tests for that. But they tested me for every other POSSIBLE cause of a stroke and couldn't find one, leaving them to assume it was the 'likely' cause. I would have no health history that would cause a TIA on its own - I've never smoked, I've been a vegetarian since age 19, I do yoga daily, never been overweight, basically the picture of health. It's the only cause that actually explains it. My stepdad called the company who manufactured it to ask them about it. They said it 'could' cause it, but that would be like winning the unlucky lottery of the world. :/ He also called a neurologist friend who explained to him how every part of our body, besides the skull area, filters the blood before that blood goes into the brain. So his likely explanation was that a small pocket of it didn't dissipate, got into a blood stream and then dumped into the brain w/o being filtered. The injection was in the chin and the stroke was in my brain stem, so definitely in the same plane of my head. And the fact that it was a brain stem stroke explains the problems with breathing. Hope that helps.
I am very sorry that this happened to you. Can you tell me where you were injected? I am guessing around the brain area. I believe I was injected by the same person with the same product, it was Belotero through a KGB deals offer. I was injected in the lip area. If it was the same nurse, you are right that she has a very strong background, working in prestigious places. I never would have thought something so bad could have happened. Again, I am so sorry. I have had no bad reactions except my lips were very lumpy, massaging has helped. I am very thankful for you sharing your experience.
Sorry for the delayed response! Hope you see this! The injection was in my chin, to answer your question. Chances are that I could do it again, and nothing would happen. But I've learned the hard way that beauty and self worth are NOT found in an expensive treatment that makes me look a bit like a wax figure, lol. I've pursued 100% natural solutions that are somehow, surprisingly effective. It's been 2 years and I've not had any lines come back. I'll be 37 next month, too. It was a horrible way to learn a lesson, but I'm happier with how I look now naturally. Even if someone told me that there was no WAY the injection could have caused it and they found another cause, I would still never do it again. Thanks for your kind words. :)

Your post shows that you spent $80 for Belotero. How is that possible. Did you have Botox or Dysport done the same day?

Since it was a KGB deal, that's why it was cheap. I think the girl was probably doing it at a loss in order to build clientele. I watched her open the product brand new, there is no way it could have been diluted. And no, no other injections done that day. Just 0.5 ml in my chin. Only a tiny bit.

How scary for you! I am so glad you are ok now! Were the doctors pretty sure the stroke was caused by a reaction to the Belotero?

Thanks Megan. Yeah, it was a nightmare for me and my whole family. The doctors over here are a bit vague so they haven't come to any solid conclusions on the cause, but Belotero is the main suspected source. My plastic surgeon friend in Texas thinks it's almost impossible for that to have caused it, but since I've never really been sick before, have never smoked, am quite fit and have been a vegetarian for 19 years, we don't know what else to blame. I won't be doing it again, that's for sure. I'll be going the natural and injection-free way in the future and have heard this method is quite good as a substitute -http://www.frownies.com.

I would love to hear what you think of the Frownies. In this Q&A one of the doctors notes that she thinks they can help.

Until I Can Afford Botox, Will Frownies Stave off Wrinkles?

Hi Megan, sorry for the stupidly late response, but in case you see this, Frownies DO work! My forehead is proof! Someone who knew what happened to me even asked if I'd started doing Botox again. It's like the results of Botox, only you don't have a weird shiny 'fake glow' and if you're pissed off, you can actually express that emotion. But more importantly, having them on makes you uber aware of your facial expressions, so that when you don't have them on, you catch yourself in the expression that's causing the lines, hence not reinforcing it. If you think Frownies are too expensive, you can always use some form of a thicker tape. Like sello, not clear, the white kind. It can't move with your face or it doesn't do its job.