AquaLipo Natural Fill

The decision to have this procedure was the...

The decision to have this procedure was the biggest mistake of my life.

I am five weeks post and still in pain, and cannot put on any of my clothing other than sweat pants. I had my abdomen, love handles, hips, saddle bags, bra bulge, and my neck done. I cannot look up or to my left because of the nerve damage in my neck, and My body measurements have not decreased but increased.

The day of my procedure I was of good spirits and looking forward to my appointment. After three hours of pain and butchery where I cried, but was told 'it's not that bad'. I was forced out the back door with the garbage in my blood stained clothing.

My stomach feels like it's being ripped from my body with every movement, much like what you would imagine the 'feel' of velcro being ripped open. My thighs and hips feel as if I've been beaten with a 2X4. I would give anything to have the 'bra bulge' back so I can sit in a chair without the stabbing pains in my back along with the same 'bulge' I had post-op. I cannot sleep on my sides or stomach, and I have to put pillows under my legs to ease the pressure on my lower back/hips.

I have yet to be contacted by my Doctor. I have been to the 'clinic' twice since, but only to see a 'nurse' and another Doctor that had no clue who I was or what I was going through.

For the love of all that is holy do NOT have this procedure done by these people. The only thing lighter and slimmer in my world is my bank account.

Dr. Mendoza and Dr Bassin

My initial consult was with Dr B, I chose Dr. M since Dr B recommended him and Dr M's schedule suited mine. To date (Nov 1st) I have yet to see Dr M.

To Maureen W and Always Hopeful... I appreciate your sharing your experience but as I just said to another woman who posted, "I am deformed' I am questioning why aren't any of you posting any pictures because this is dead serious consequences not only for you but also the doctors because how are we (or any lawyer for that matter) suppose to be able to really evaluate the reality of what happened without seeing it for ourselves? I had a face lift and liposuction in costa rica in 1996 and recall I did have numbing and other weird sensations for a long time but I was really happy with the long term results so all those bad memories faded because I was thrilled with the results. I actually did have to go back the next year to get my earlobes fixed but Dr. Lev was very compassionate and did some extra touch up procedures as well and didn't charge me anything. I have gained some weight and want to get some lipo and also the fat transfer for volumn, but now I'm really questioning as naturally so much has to do with the expertise of the doctor and it is very hard to make an evaluation without seeing any picture. It sounds like something isn't right; however, please don't be offended but how are we suppose to know if what you experienced was a normal part of recovery and/or maybe you are more sensitive and/or how do we know you aren't an ex-girlfriend or wife with an ax to grind? If I just take your word for it, I would never want to go to these doctors and yet there are many who report positive experiences!
So sad to hear of this experience - and have to tell you mine was very similar with Body Jet. Months (yes, months!!) of pain and burning - in the wrong hands this technique seems to be a disaster. I strongly suggest you get scans (CT or MRI) to check if any of your muscles have been damaged.
One year post my body jet and I feel that it wasnt worth it. I paid $4800. I should have just gotten the Tummy Tuck.
I had Aqualipo liposuction done back in February in addition to Natural Fill where they transfer the fat they take out to somewhere else, I had fat removed from my outer thighs and moved to my breasts. Here's my experience with it all:

I went to Dr. Zimmerman at Purely You Body Sculpting in Denver. What a great doctor! So gentle and caring. I've wanted lipo for years thanks to some genetically inherited misplaced fat bags on my outer thighs.... and the lack of squishy stuff in my breasts. I did years of research comparing methods, techniques, etc... recovery time, pros / cons, you name it. I never found anything I thought was the perfect fit. Then last year I renewed my search again and came across Aqualipo liposuction - it seemed too good to be true! I work full-time so I needed something that wouldn't cut into my work too much... and Aqualipo seemed to fit the bill.

For my procedure, having aqualipo on my thighs and moving the fat to my breasts, took about 3-4 hours. It was painful during the procedure, but not unbearable. I was able to walk-out of the office afterwards (had boyfriend drive me home) and basically kicked it on the couch all weekend (my procedure was done on Friday). I was sore mostly on my thighs, but just took some pain killers to help and that made a big difference. My wounds were left open to drain (all the liquid / blood from the procedure) so I had bandaids everywhere, but didn't need much more than that. They closed up within about 3 days and I was bandaid free. The bruising healed about 90% within the first week, there was one lingering bruise on my lower left thigh that lasted about two weeks, but didn't hurt - just looked bad. The pain was nearly completely gone within the first week. So, I had my procedure on Friday and was back to work just fine on Monday - it was very impressive!

For both procedures, Dr. Zimmerman was very kind and worked me a stellar deal just because he wanted to help and I didn't have quite enough to pay full price.... he was so nice to work with and understanding.

Anyways, I would highly recommend Aqualipo and NaturalFill to anyone! Aqualipo is the same thing as BodyJet, when I was in the doctor's office, all the equipment says BodyJet.... so I think Aqualipo is just another name for it. Some marketing ploy, maybe. Hahah!

Hope that helps, if anyone out there is interested! And if you're in the Denver area looking for a great Aqualipo liposuction doctor, check out Dr. Zimmerman at Purely You
Thank you for sharing your positive experience and glad to know that this procedure can have a good outcome. Clearly, any procedure has to be done with experience and care. I have posted pictures of myself here and gotten really good advice from the Real Self doctors and if people really want to help others whether to show them positive or negative outcome, the only way that can really help us evaluate procedure is when there is a picture shared; otherwise, as far as I'm concerned...either way, it's all heresay.
Lord have Mercy! And to think I almost went for this--thanks Maureen.I will live with my bulges-they aren't too bad anyways,exercise and eat well
I believe you only have two years to file a malpractice suit but it this is as bad as it sounds, I'm wondering why you don't want to take this to court so it will be recorded and others will be saved from the same thing happening to them. They currently have a groupon out for naturalfill and this has turned me off. I was going to sign up for it. Thanks for the info you gave us.
bbbjsanders....What did you ever decide to do? There are ads for the Aqua Lipo on TV and Dr. Mendoza and Bassin have been on the Dr. Oz show so I'm very interested in this procedure but after reviewing many of the comments both positive and negative, I'm not going to draw any conclusion until I go see the doctor and see his before and after pictures and maybe talk to someone who had the surgery as well because if someone is going to tell us all these horror or happy stories, how are we suppose to believe anything without seeing their before and after pictures? It's not that hard to crop off enough to keep one's identity private. If people are here to help each other, I think they should be willing to share their pictures to back up what they are saying. In fact, I don't think I'm going to spend more time reading all these stories that don't have any picture to back up whatever they are saying.
Maureen-keep in mind that you have a statute of limitation. Please go get a second opinion already. The more I research the more I notice that people are not happy with their results. I myself am still waiting for noticeable results. Most doctors will give free consults, so you may not have to even pay for the initial visit. From there you can decide if it is worth moving forward. Also, please tell me that you have recorded this journey with pictures at each stage. IF NOT GET TO IT! Pictures are the perfect neutral witness. In fact, I would skip the narrative and post the pics. Remember, while the process may be long and sometimes exhausting, in the words of my grandmother..."the way to swallow an elephant, is one small bite at a time. We are all here for you.
I am so sorry that you had to go through this, Maureen, and I wish you complete recovery. My own experience with Dr. Bassin, while less extreme than yours, was consistent in terms of his arrogance and border-line competence. Imagine having a laser procedure underway and hearing the doctor say "Oops!" That's what happened to me. So I'm learning to live with, if not love, my wrinkles, realizing they're preferable to the possible alternatives.

I do believe that women should have options to make themselves look as they wish, but many of the doctors need training in aesthetic subtlety and restraint. And they need to follow through, not run away as yours did. Again, my sympathies. And congrats to you for being brave enough to post what happened.
Maureen I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I just had the same surgery done by Dr. Mendoza on Thursday. I only had my abs and chin done however. I must say that the office has called me everyday and that Dr. Mendoza has been very personable from day one. Usually, I find it necessary to throw around the fact that I am an attorney but did not feel the need. I did some research on Dr. Mendoza and found that he was once a hand surgeon in Chicago but that he studied cosmetic surgery as well and has been a plastic surgeon most of his career. While my pain has subsided, I am still not aware of what the results will be. My heart goes out to you however. I will tell you that you have a right publish the truth about your experience, which is probably why you have not heard from their attorneys.

Further, someone mentioned a possible lawsuit on your behalf. I can tell you that the courts will use the standard of "due care". This means that they will pose the question "would a reasonable doctor given the same circumstances have had a different result?" Further would the result be so significantly different that it is appropriate to conclude that the first doctor breached his duty of care? These are all questions that can only be answered by other doctors. Of course, what happens next is a battle of the paid doctors.

Perhaps you can go to Dr. Mendoza and try to work this matter out.
It has been 9 months since my procedures. My left thigh is fine and a tad bit smaller, my right is the same and I still have pains ranging from like a burning sensation to a stabbing pain where they removed the 'fat' to inject into my face. My stomach 'tingles' daily and I have, what I can only describe as a, flap draping over my bellybutton..extremely unattractive. If I wear anything with a somewhat tight waist band the tingly feeling increases to a burning sensation. My back still has the bra bulge but the scars are now more flesh colored but raised and noticeable. My neck is still 'tight' (their words), I can look comfortably to the right but not the left it still pulls. My face lines have lessened but I still have a knot under my left eye. I figure this is my lot in life now. My body will never be the same, and I'm sickened that I paid for these procedures. I never wanted, nor ever will sue the Doctors..I just wanted either decent results, a partial refund for the 10,000.00 I paid, or in the very lease compassion, continued care and empathy for my situation, but since they sent me a letter saying they would have no further contact with me I have to live with this mistake.

I wish you luck in your recovery and pray that no one ever finds themselves upon the road I've traveled.

Best Regards,
Maureen
What happened with their attorney? Is there a possibility of you being able to sue?
So sorry for your terrible experience. I hope you are taking lots of photos to document what you have experienced. Also, write down dates, times, and names of any and all contact you had with the doctors and their staff. Lawyers can be evil (I think that was a redundant statement). So many doctors think they can pick up the magic Lipo wand and have instant success (in their wallet). It takes practice, patience and an artistic eye.
Thank you for sharing.
GAgal
It has been four months since my procedures. My body has changed, but not for what I consider the better. My left thigh is smaller, but not smoother or as smooth as it was. It still hurts if I brush against something. My right thigh is not smaller or smoother and has episodes of discoloration along with stabbing pains. I cannot remember what it was like when my leg didn't ache (my hips as well, the love handles). My back is horrible, at the risk of inducing a little giggle, where my bra bulge was worked on, my skin sags and since I have two dark 'wounds'..oh lucky me, when I remove my shirt and bra I look like I have boobs in the front and two saggy boobs in the back. (If I didnt laugh at that part Id cry, my back was chubby but I had lovely skin). My stomach is still in pain daily..again I cannot remember it not being in pain. I have a noticeable trough across my midsection, sometimes it is hard to bend over, sorta like when you are first pregnant and you have adjust how you bend. My tummy feels like, if you put jello in a balloon, squishy and still at times seems to swell. My lower abdomen, saggy almost detached hanging skin with little feeling. My neck, is still swelling off and on..there are days that I can move without much pain, to scratch my neck makes me wince. I have no change in the lines on my face except I still have a knot under my left.

I fear that the numbness and needle pains will be how I will live from now on. I honestly believe that these procedures did more harm than good, and no Doctor should have performed all of these procedures at one time. I look back now and realize that my body was big and beautiful, now have the same size body, with pain, indentations, discolorations, scars, and regret.

If you ladies would like to talk about my experience in person let me know. I am comfortable showing you the scars and letting you judge for yourself.

Regards,
Maureen
Thanks for your post. I am seriously considering some cosmetic work and these doctors were high on my list of possible providers, going ONLY by their website/public reputations. I will definitely NOT be making an appointment with them.
thank you so much for sharing your terrible journey, I have to say, I have often considered this type of surgery just to make the "little" improvements that I get too lazy to make w just the eating right and working out too; reading this and countless other reviews/horror stories has helped me see that I don't want to do this, I will just work harder to make it happen again in my life as I did when I was younger and more dedicated in the gym. Thank you for helpling me avoid this mistake bc I can't afford to get any help afterwards! I hate that you and others have had to suffer in this tragic way, but I do hope that it may help you that by you sharing your story, you have helped someone else learn from it b4 going through it too.

I will send good thoughts and energies your way, hoping you heal and find peace with yourself and your body.

Thank you.
My experience with the same surgeon was 180 degrees different. I had to drive myself to and from the procedure. Therefore, I could not take any sedatives of any kind. The only part that was uncomfortable (not even painful) was the injection of Lidocaine into my skin. I had both flank, upper and lower abdomen done. The table was heated and the procedure felt like of more of a really deep massage. Maybe 5 times during the procedure I felt a sting from places the lidocaine wasn't working but that was it. This same physician performed this procedure on television in Tampa. Its on youtube. She doesn't look like she is crying at all. She is speaking with the reported durning the procedure. After 24 hrs I already see a difference. Maybe its because I'm only 29 and workout everyday and sometimes two time a day mine went so well
I don't really know what 'step' is next. I'm just trying to get through this one day at a time. I live alone and some days normal activity like mowing the lawn bring tears to my eyes. I can only hope that in time my body will heal. My doctor has abandoned me and will not see me as a patient, but offered to refer me to another Doctor, I cannot afford another Doctor.

Am I an 'atypical' patient, I don't know, but I do know that these procedures have negatively impacted my life. I believe that a Doctor should never abandon a patient just because the patient didn't fall into the 'norm'. In my opinion a good Doctor would do anything within their power to help a patient in need. Isn't that what we trust them to do?

I implore people to think twice before having these procedures done...You only have one body.

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your concern. My thighs have started to bruise again. My left thigh is noticeably smaller but my right has no change with the exception of an indentation creating a not so flattering silhouette. From day to day I have no idea how my stomach will feel or look. I still have that 'detached numb' feeling and the skin on my stomach is cool to the touch. Large, hard lumps have formed on my hips and are a bit sore. I try to massage daily but some days it hurts too much. My neck is still 'tight' hindering my movements and a few striations have appeared. I am uncomfortable without wearing the garment.

This is not how I wanted to spend the Holiday season. Biggest mistake of my life.

Maureen

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :( I was really hoping things would have gotten better by now. So, if you don't mind me asking, what's the next step for you?

Hi Maureen -- Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing?

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that our lipo forum is a great place to connect with other patients, so please check it out if you get a chance. Hope everything's okay.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you're doing. I hope things improve for you soon! I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you.

It's been seven and a half weeks since my procedures. I still cannot look up or to the left which was a bit frightening the other day while driving. My right thigh is in pain most of the day...like being poked with a long needle. I wear my garment every day because without it I feel like my skin on my stomach is detaching from my body. For some reason my back has started to bruise. My Doctor contacted me and has informed me that they 'find it necessary to terminate our relationship....so please be advised that I will no longer be able to treat you as a patient.

In my opinion I have been physically hurt and financially burned. I shall continue to let people know of my progress. I would not wish this upon anyone.
I was contacted by my Doctor's office today, not to check on my progress but to inform me that their attorney will be contacting me because of my posting on this website. I will continue to post my progress. To date my measurements are the same, my stomach, thighs, hips, back and neck still have the sensation of burning when touched mixed with a bit of numbness, a very odd sensation. The injections into my face seem to have a bit of a positive change in my appearance, but the left side of my face is different than my right. I still cannot look up or to the left without significant pain. The office personal that contacted me today said that my 'tightness' was to be expected much like those that have a face lift. I, myself, do not consider this tight, I consider this impaired.