Clear Correct - My Clear Solution! - Lexington, NC

Today, I made the difficult decision between...

Today, I made the difficult decision between Invisalign and Clear Correct. I've spent countless hours reading positive and negative reviews on the Invisalign product. When I learned about the Clear Correct option, I just felt more at ease about making the committment. I've outline below WHY I chose Clear Correct over other options.

I have crowding on the lower jawline and a big gap in my front teeth as well as a significant overbit (maybe even overjet since it sticks out there pretty far). At 59 years old, I wanted to FINALLY have a great smile. When the bonding and a gold onlay fell out recently, I thought NOW is the time.

Dr. Frye is awesome; very gentle and felt that I am a good candidate for the procedure. As things progress, I'll keep everyone informed. Also will upload photos as soon as received from the DDS.

If you are considering Invisalign, do yourself an favor and check out the Clear Correct.....you find it a CLEAR CHOICE! :-)

03/28/13 - Still waiting to hear from the Dr....

03/28/13 - Still waiting to hear from the Dr. Sarah Frye's office as to when my Phase Zero is going to be arriving. Also have been working on cutting back on the coffee at work since I won't have such a hard time of giving it up when the trays come in! Also waiting for the DDS to send me beginning pics to share! More to come

04/04/2013 - Still waiting...the longer I wait the...

04/04/2013 - Still waiting...the longer I wait the more negative comments I find about Clear Correct. Would like to see some POSITIVE postings about people's experiences!

04/09 - Today I've posted one of the many pictures...

04/09 - Today I've posted one of the many pictures that my dentist's office forwarded to me. As you can see, there are significant gaps, overbite or overjet and just plain old misalignment. I'm waiting for my Phase Zero tray to come. I hope it gets here soon!!

04/28/13 - It took about 3 weeks for me to receive...

04/28/13 - It took about 3 weeks for me to receive my Phase 0 trays and clincheck. All I can say is that I am so thrilled at the prospective outcome! This is the third day of using my Phase 0 trays and my excitement seems to grow daily as I think that I'm another day closer to my next set of trays! It appears right now that I'll have about 24 trays x 3 weeks = 72 weeks of constant teeth care, but if my teeth turnout anything like the clincheck shows, I will be a VERY happy person.

Here's what I've noticed so far: The first two days, I found myself exploring how these trays feel in my mouth - as if it was a involuntary reaction to these foreign matters being in my mouth. So much so, that my tongue is sore and I've had a couple of cuts at the very inner top of my lips and under my tongue. It started hurting so badly under my tongue that I took a nail file and filed down the little ridge left by the laser dye cutter and it helped tremendously! The other thing I've noticed is that you get VERY thirsty. I've committed myself to only drink water as instructed when the trays are in. That meant I had a terrific caffeine withdrawal headache the first couple of days - which isn't really a bad thing if I am stopping another bad habit of too much coffee and diet soda!

I'm expecting that I will also lose weight as I go through this. My teeth were very sore the first few days-to the point where I couldn't bite off anything, but rather cut or broke food into bite size pieces so that I could chew them Since my overjet is the most severe part of my bite, that made sense that the front teeth are the ones being aligned first (that's the reason for the extra sensitivity). When I found myself wanting a snack I've already convinced myself that it isn't worth the hassle of taking my trays out, then cleaning them, flossing and brushing my teeth over a snack I didn't need in the first place.

Please do not think these are negatives...but just honest actions and reactions to my first few days. I'm sure as time goes on, that I won't even notice them in my mouth other than the time when you switch to a new set of trays. All in all, I am still very happy and look forward to the progression! There's more to come, including the before/after pics from my clincheck so you can see what will be happening!

So Far So Good!

As of today, I'm about 1/2 way on my Phase 1 tray. I love the flexibility of being able to take the trays out; and I've adapted fairly easily to having to brush and floss after meals and certain drinks.

There has already been movement between the Phase 0 and Phase 1 trays. The gap in my front teeth are showing some signs of closure, but what I've found most is that my molars are moving more and correcting my bite. I'm VERY excited about that.

Changing trays from 0 to 1 was tight but not as bad as when I first put in the Phase 0 trays....maybe I just knew what to expect. I took some Motrin when I put the trays in and that was about it. Sure, you have pain/sensitive in your teeth and find that chewing crunching things are hard to do without some pain, but MY TEETH are moving, so what would I expect. Phase 2 starts June 5....then the next Phase I will get some of the buttons or whatever they call them in Clear Correct land...that will be interesting

My dentist, Dr. Sarah Frye, said that if I found a sharp edge it was perfectly fine to file it down for comfort sake...so all is well!

My Clincheck

Here's the estimated changes I'm expecting in 24 trays (give or take any adjustments). Although the clarity of the copied pictures of the clincheck do not do it justice, I think you get the idea!

Time FLIES!

Here I am on Phase 1C with my Clear Correct. This is my first set with "engagers" (most commonly called buttons in the Invisalign blogs). The first couple of days are always painful; not so bad that I can't stand it. I take a couple of Motrin before I put them in and sleep through the most of it. I do find that biting down to eat is difficult. Most times now I just cut things into bite size pieces.

Ellen, my personal Clear Correct tech at the Dr. Sarah Frye's office is SIMPLY AWESOME! It may have taken me 59 years to get to this point, but I am already seeing some great results. My back molars are already aligning well and all I've had is Phase 0, Phase 1a and 1b (current on 1c). That's 10 weeks so far.

This is DEFINATELY worth it!

Tray 4A and well on my way

Teeth are moving nicely. Lowers are almost completely aligned. I know I keep saying I'll take more pics, but just never seem to have the time.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them honestly for your.

One thing I do want to do is tell you how much I miss my old dental assistant! She's going on a mission trip and is pursuing a different path for her life. Ellen, if you see this, I miss you and love you much! Thank you for taking such good care of me.

I'm very lucky that I have a great dentist, Dr. Sarah Frye, so Marsha is my new assistant and my first visit without Ellen when great. I look forward to the day when I can go to the retainer! More to come!

Update April 2014 - Almost the 1 Year Mark

I know this isn't the best picture, but I'm sure you can see that the spaces that were very prevalent in the original photos are now all properly aligned in the bottom. I will need some adjustments to the uppers still, but after almost one year, the lowers are aligned, no spaces and chewing food is much easier with the molars all in alignment!

The VERY top of the two front teeth are actually touching!! You may not see the big improvement, but I use to be able to hold the center of a toothpick in that gap...but NO LONGER.

You can also see in this picture the small engagers. I would say that 99% of the people I speak to on a daily basis never know about me having anything in my mouth.

Halfway and feeling GREAT!!! The best thing about Clear Correct is that if there are any corrections needed "mid course", you are wasting all the trays since they make and send only a few at a time. With Invisalign, they make all the trays at once - if your teeth don't move as anticipated, its a major ordeal to make a course correction. With Clear Correct, my back right molars are not wanting to move and anticipated, so we did an upper tray impression and I will have the new tray in a week or two. In the meantime, I am continuing to wear the last tray on the top and my new tray on the lowers.

Does this upset me?? No not really - after all, no computer can actually determine exactly how my teeth are going to respond or defy pressure here or there. I'm still pleased with being able to chew on BOTH sides of my mouth....something I've NEVER done in my life! Just as my blog title says - Clear Correct is MY CLEAR SOLUTION!
Sarah Frye, DDS

1. Overall cost is much more affordable 2. You receive a Phase Zero aligner you can use for bleaching plus you know that the initial impressions were good BEFORE they make thirty aligners. 3. Intermittent alinger production by the factory so that if adjustments are needed midway during the process you aren't wasting all the aligners that won't fit. 4. Actual models are made for each phase of aligner. If I lose or break one, the dentist office can recreate immediately instead of waiting for Invisalign to recreate. 5. Product deliver is quicker due to the product being made right here in the good ole USA!

Wow!  Huge improvement, and beautiful teeth!  Is one of your upper central incisors chipped?
Thank you! No it's not chipped, but it is worn due to age and bruxing (grinding my teeth at night). There is a huge difference and I know it's only going to get better. Hope things are going well for you!!!
Yes, thank you! :D
I'm sorry I missed your review so long!

It would be helpful to see more recent pictures.  I found the ClinCheck a little difficult to see.  Is there still an overjet projected in your final results or is that an artifact of the graininess?
Unfortunately the clincheck is difficult to see, but there will be very little overjet once we are said and finished. I keep promising to make new photos, I'll try to get to it this weekend. When I look back at the pictures, I do see how much my lower teeth have changed and that they have been moved back to make room for the overjetted front teeth to be pulled back. My overjet is VERY pronounced, almost .50" ANYTHING less then that is a blessing. I will be able for the FIRST time in my life bite into something and have my teeth actually MEET to complete the bite. I will try and get something more posted soon with pics promise!
Thank you!  And yeah, it sounds like it'll be a wonderful relief to get that overjet improved!  I look forward to following your updates now :)
Hey... Let us know how you are doing with those things ;) I appreciate your honesty.
Hi "I'm Thinking"! Things are going GREAT!!! My lower teeth have moved significantly; they are very loose and I do have trouble biting into things. So now I eat with a knife and fork (even for pizza and hamburgers)....guess that's not so bad because it looks like I have better table manners!! LOL. It's almost a year and the alignment of my bite in the back has also changed drastically. This set (4A) I noticed that there is a bump of skin right at the top of the roof of my mouth. My dental assistant told me a long time ago I would get this and to "leave it alone and it would go away". I guess all that gum tissue has to go somewhere when it gets moved around so much. Honestly the only other thing I really DO NOT like about Clear Correct (and I've seen notes about it to on Invisalign) is that they "trimming process" when they stamp the trays out of the molds....they tend to be sharp. I grind my teeth and I guess I am very "mouthy" (lol..if only my husband heard me admit that!) when it comes to talking...I guess animated would be a better word for that and I do get cuts once and a while. My FAVORITE dental assistant who left me to pursue a better opportunity :-( use to file them down for me. Gosh I miss her!! So I take a file and grind them down myself. Other then that...no complaints here. I just hope my teeth continue to be "teased" into place with each new tray! If you haven't tried it, I would say they are worth it! I just can't seem to get my profile to update to say that! Good luck!
Thank you so much. Because of you, I will be going the Clear Correct route. I can handle the minor issues of the "beginning stages". As long as they work in the long run. I am so glad all is well and they work! I'm like you, I can deal with doing things on my own! *I had a bump some time ago and I suck my fingers so I have the big thing at the roof of my mouth ;) -Again, thank you so much!!!
You are SO welcome. I TOO have the big lump in the roof of my mouth...funny how things from when we were younger has really impacted us in the long run. CONGRATULATIONS and the best of luck. I keep focusing on the outcome and to be honest...ANY improvement is worth it. My teeth were really poorly spaced and biting things like apples, etc were almost impossible. I really am excited for you! Keep me posted on your results!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

hi there! its been afew months since your last update and I was just wondering how your progress has been so far? anything new? is it still working for you? I just did my impressions today, and was very excited until I saw all the negative reviews about CC on this site. I guess what im mainly wondering..do you still think clear correct was the best choice? thanks
Hi There! Sorry that I haven't posted, there has been a lot going on in my life professionally, so the personal stuff has been "2nd seat". YES, I DO THINK CLEAR CORRECT WAS THE BEST CHOICE!! Here's why: 1. It's American made - 'nuff said there. 2. They are VERY timely with getting their kits here on time (unlike what I've been told about the other company" 3. I have also heard a lot of people complaining that they've had to take multiple impressions with the other company and my REAL LIFE experience with Clear Correct is that they fit EVERY TIME. SURE they are tight...they are suppose to be. 4. The other thing is that CC doesn't make all the sets at once, that way if your DDS needs to call in a tweak or a new set of impressions, you're not stuck with a bunch of plates that aren't needed. Here's some positive news for you! There has been a great change in my bite already. The gap in the lower left side is already COMPLETELY closed! I am simply amazed by that! I get excited each time I go in to my DDS (every 6 wks to get my next two sets of trays) because I get to see which teeth they are tinkering with and it gives me the incentive to press on! I am currently on my set known as 3A - which means I have completed Phase 0 (which will be your first set you'll get to see how you adjust and if the impression was well taken), and sets 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D - that's 9 sets - all approximately 3 weeks in duration. The bottom teeth and the supporting teeth for my bite are being moved first BUT I will say that I already know that the gap in my front teeth has also begun to close some too (my real reason for getting CC). Like you I too saw all the negative comments and here's what I've come to think about them: Okay, you have less then perfect teeth. Your choices are...you can live with a mouth full of wire that hurts, breaks and cuts you or you can live with a somewhat semi-transparent "engagers" or button. REALLY! I decided that I don't care if anyone sees the little bumps or not...it's certainly NOT as gross as my original smile! LOL!!! I use Efferdent to clean my trays and then brush them with toothpaste and a soft brush. By the end of the 3rd week, they are a little cloudy from me drinking soda and coffee WITH the trays in....so what...I get new trays in three weeks. So I'm not really hung up on the "they're not that invisible" like some of the comments. I think that people tend to have a "instant gratification" expectation that creates their sense of disappointment. I lived with these horrible teeth for 59 years and have used several bonding treatments to hide them. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME in my life that they are moving for real! I couldn't be ANY MORE PLEASE - unless I was on my last tray! :-) Last thing and then I'll end this novel....EVERYONE is different and our teeth/gums/jaws are all different. My teeth have been very loose. Duh! Because they are being moved completely around. So perhaps it hurts a little to take the trays in and out eat. No big deal. I think if you are excited now, you'll be even more excited when you get your first tray; and even MORE excited when you see your teeth moving. Here's a hint: Take some Motrin before you go to bed and put in a new tray at night, that will help elevate the pain. Keep them in as much as possible (at least 22 hrs for optimum performance). Some days, I "fast" especially on a new tray day because it can be a little painful when putting in or taking out a new tray. But within few days that all subsides. I just psych myself and say - THIS PAIN MEANS MORE MOVEMENT! Keep an open mind and know that we have to expect that there will be little corrections, additions and changes along the way. We just need to keep in mind that IF WE WANT that killer smile at the end of it all, that THIS IS WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!
I'm 59, too - and just into 1A. Also in NC! I never had to wear braces. I'm the typical "middle age front tooth shift" type person - and so far, this is the best choice! My dental insurance was dropping adult orthodontia as of Jan 1, so I did my research, and ran right out to get the process in motion. I am working with an orthodontist, and while that may increase the cost somewhat, I think or hope I may avoid some of the issues others have posted about when maybe they are dealing with dentists who have "some" training. I guess I got a perfect fit right off the bat, since I've had no cutting or sharp edges issues. There is a mild headache on day 1 due to the "tightness", but the advice to take a Tylenol worked. I also wear my trays while drinking coffee in the AM - but a denture table once/day seems to clean them right up. And I've already used Phase 0 for bleaching - which I figured I should touch up (did it about 6 months ago) now in case I get the dots at a later time. My ortho showed me the "map" so that I could see exactly which teeth this set is working on - and I have no special sensititivy at this point - even WITH the bleaching. So, I say great! And patience with this "project" is no different than with a weight loss plan, etc.
Is 65 too old to try Clear Connect?