My Journey of Impulse, Regret and Triumph! 19 Year Old Tattoo Removal. - Leicester, GB

Hi everyone, I'm new to this but I'm happy to find...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this but I'm happy to find so many others in the same boat as me. When I turned 18 I was so excited to get my first tattoo and I did exactly that, without much thought or understanding as to what I was doing. It read "viva la vida" under my right breast which I guess is now ironic given my circumstances today! After almost a year, I decided it looked unfinished and wanted to decorate it with some flowers of some sort, again I don't really know what I was thinking. I got some huge roses (beautiful artwork) tattooed down my ribs and instantly hated them to the point of depression. Almost a year on here I am! I convinced my parents to foot the bill whilst I am still studying and have promised to pay them back this summer! I guess parents will do whatever they can to make you happy and I will always be forever grateful for their kindness, support and understanding.
This past year has been a dark one for me as I am living with the guilt and regret of defacing my body in the way that I have. I must learn to forgive myself but I know this will be a long process. I will not allow a silly bit of ink to define me.

The writing on my tattoo actually scarred when I had it done, so I'm not holding out much hope for a successful removal there, but the flowers are apparently all good to go!!

I have chosen sk:n clinics (UK based) for my treatment and have already undergone my first treatment. I have seen spectacular results and I am thrilled. The flowers have broken up extensively, and although the writing hasn't really shifted, it's the flowers that I'm really not keen on so this is good!! The nurses are lovely and have made me feel so positive and at ease so I'm quite relaxed and excited about my next treatments! The pain is not to be underestimated though and I will say to anybody who is thinking of getting a tattoo, think so very long and hard because this process is beyond excrutiating!!

Anyway, I feel I'm finally ready to share my journey with you all and hopefully we can support eachother through these difficult times. Thanks so much everyone.

Rachael

Just a quick update

Hi guys, not much to report but thought I would update you with a little pic after my removal on Sunday. I'm really lucky to have not experienced any blistering or scabbing, but I have got extensive bruising at the moment which you can see from the pic. I'm already seeing some break up among the flowers which I am so happy about!
I'm finding that this waiting game is very mentally challenging and I just wish I could speed up time. Hopefully this gets a little easier to deal with.

Thanks guys,
Rachael

Itching!!

Wowwww the itching has fully set in now! Very sore! I'm having a bit of a bad day today and I'm feeling a bit hopeless. I cannot shift this feeling of blame and I'm so angry at myself that I did this. I also worry that this tattoo will never be gone. I am so young and should be enjoying life like all my friends and I feel stuck in this ridiculous bubble all because a bit of ink. I hope so much this feeling gets better with time :(

Itching becoming unbearable

Has anybody got any advice to combat this itching? It's been waking me up in the middle of the night and it's constant. It's absolutely killing me please help anyone!

Coming up for 3 weeks post 1st treatment

Hi everyone, just a quick update. Itching subsided about a week ago which was a relief!! I found that lots of moisturiser and lots of water helped me massively through that almost unbearable period!! Peeling has started so I'm putting lots of bio oil on at the moment. Seeing so much break up among the flowers which is exciting!! Not so much the script but I'm not too fussed about that.
Nurse Clare Love

Very professional but so lovely at the same time. Made me feel so welcome and didn't judge me at all. She's only interested in helping me as best she can and even when I was writhing in pain she made me feel good!

The itching can be horrible for sure! Like Andrew said, stay hydrated, and try to keep it moisturized. I take an antihistamine to combat the itching, and I slap the skin, as opposed to scratching. The good news is, your tattoo is all black, so you should have nice fading. Staying on here will help you fight those feeling of self hatred and depression from what you've done. I always say to myself, "why did I do this, if I could just go back to that day". The truth is, it doesn't help at all, but being on here with others who feel the same way is such a help. This forum has kept me going. Hang in there, and keep us updated!
Hi Rach the itching's a nightmare at times, it helps drinking as much water as possible to keep your skin hydrated (2-3 litres a day) and use plenty aloe vera or coconut oil. I also take an omega 3 cod liver oil supplement as I heard it helps fight against irritated skin. Don't scratch the skin either, gently rub or slap the area. Don't worry about your tattoo, have plenty patience and you'll have success, you've got the advantage of being young and healthy, the tattoos all black which helps plus its near the heart. It looks like your 1st treatment has got rid of most of the light shading which bodes well for your future treatments. Good luck! Look forward to seeing your results.
I hear ya, itching is insane...here is a forum I found that may help you:

aloha rach006, Ink regret is a b*tch isn't it?! Yup, I've been there. I had a tattoo on my hand that was beautiful, I loved it but it felt unfinished. Went back to the same artist years later and had an add on...oh, what a mistake. I felt betrayed, violated, and so depressed. I cried for weeks and weeks. Then I found this forum and received wonderful support from so many. I had a consultation and started working on removal. Ten sessions later, it's a soft grey and so harsh, but don't get me wrong it's still going out the door. We can all say "enjoy life, you're young," blah...blah....blah....but it's you that needs to come to terms with it. I use ARnica for the bruising, I've had it. I guess it's because of bone. But you've taken that first step and you're doing fantastic. Keep us updated, good luck. I focus on staying positive, patient and persistent...it's what gets me through the days. Good luck...aloha...k
Hey, sorry to hear you're having a rough day. It can take a while to adapt to this process... I'm almost ten months in and I still feel down about it a lot of the time, but you find ways to adapt and cope. Remember, every day that passes from now on is a day further away from when you started this process and a day closer to finishing. Be thankful that your tattoo can be easily covered in regular clothes! It's a long old slog but your chances of full removal are very good - you just need to exercise patience like never before, take good care of your body and occupy yourself wherever possible. Also, try not to dwell on the bad; focus on all the positive things you have going on - after all, it's only a tattoo, things could be a hell of a lot worse :)
Thanks for your help. I do sometimes have to shake myself and realise I am living with a very first world problem. I am so lucky that this is all I have to live with and thanks for reminding me of that. Today has been a much better day :)
Welcome to the community :)

Do you use numbing cream or ice packs during your treatment, I know the area you are treating is very sensitive.
No I just grit my teeth and go for it! It's the only area I've ever had lasered so I don't really know any different, it doesn't half hurt though. I actually came away with a huge bruise on my lower lip where I'd been biting it so hard during treatment :P this area does have it's good points as well though, such as I can keep it well hidden during my removal!
I get terrible bruising on mine around my hip bone too. Can only imagine on the ribs! The roses look pretty light though, hopefully it goes quick!
It hasn't been easy but the pain reminds me that it's working, hopefully I just bruise in future and don't blister! Thanks, I'm feeling good about the roses
Looking good. :) Can't wait to see your progress! The flowers are huge but fortunately aren't coloured, so you should do great.
Thanks :) yeah I know they're a monstrosity aren't they lol, but yes as you say no colour and also not much ink either so I'm holding out a lot of hope for the flowers!
Looks like the laser really got the shading in those roses! Very encouraging, you can really see a difference.
Yeah I'm so pleased with the progress already and it's only been a few days. I'm holding out a lot of hope for full removal of the roses so fingers crossed!
Hey, glad to hear you're healing up well. I remember seeing some pretty crazy looking yellow bruising after my first couple of treatments, which kind of radiated our from the area. It subsided in about a week, so don't worry! :)
It gets better everyday so I'm feeling okay at the moment. I suppose bruising is a good sign that it's working, just very draining!
Hi Rach. Great progress already. Outline is the most stubborn part of a tattoo and you've already got bits breaking up. Remember time will fade your tattoo, every day your body is removing those broken up pigments. Keep on the water to help things along, also go on youtube and type " white blood cells chasing bacteria " might sound silly but i smiled when i saw it and pictured that happening in my body but with ink . Bless those white blood cells :)
Thanks for the advice, I will check it out! I try not to become obsessed with this but it's so hard. Constantly looking at before and after pics and checking on my tattoo every hour to see if it looks better! I'm sure I'll learn to relax in time, I hope anyway!
Hello Rach welcome aboard. I had treatments at a sk:n clinic and was really impressed with the service and treatment and they use a good laser. Unfortunately it was too expensive for me even with a 30% off treatments to continue there as im having a full sleeve removed. Do you know what laser they used on you and when have suggested you go back for treatment number 2? Jez
It's just the normal q-switched I think! And I had my first treatment Sunday and I'm booked in again for April 13th. She suggests 6 weeks which is exciting, I was thinking it would be a lot longer. The nurse said that my age plays a factor, because I am young the healing process is much quicker which I am very thankful for. In a lot of pain at the moment though! Rachael
Hey, welcome along. Your story sounds very similar to mine! I got some script initially, but felt it looked 'unfinished' and a bit odd just by itself, so I added to it and then a year down the line realised I regretted the whole thing, and that tattoos aren't me. Good luck on your removal, you certainly have a few things in your favour (black ink, you're young etc). When you say your script 'scarred', how do you mean? Is it raised? All the best and keep us posted. You'll get plenty of support here :)
That does sound really similar!! I'm completely the same when it comes to tattoos now and I'm just desperate to get them off! Good luck with yours! Well unfortunately when I first got the tattoo done I didn't look after it properly and picked at the scab (stupid I know) and it scarred. It is raised from the skin all the time so that's how I came to that conclusion. The nurse has told me that the scar tissue may stop the laser penetrating through to the ink and in the end I may just end up with a dramatically faded tattoo. Luckily the tattoo is completely straight and so if the worst comes to worst when it is financially viable it am looking at surgical excision - I am just so desperate to get it off!!! Thanks for commenting and I'm looking forward to sharing my journey with you
We will support you.. all the best and keep us updated ! :)