Rhinoplasty After 15 Years of Insecurity - Latham, NY

One of the few brave male souls to post on here....

One of the few brave male souls to post on here. Surgery expected in less than 3 weeks. Have always been insecure at the length of my nose, I feel it overpowers my face, draws way too much attention, and is simply not in symmetry with the rest of my face. Found a really good doctor with great reviews on the first consult, hoping for the best but becoming very anxious as the date gets closer

We like him the way he is :) but of course this is his decision as he is the one that will live with the consequences. I'm sure everyone wishes him the best and hopes he keeps us updated.
I thought this site was to cheer persons on... and give him the support he needs to do the procedure he wants to do!
Best wishes with your procedure bseargent.
Actually if you look a little more on this site you will find hundreds of questions from people who are freaking out about their decisions after having gone through with it and getting results that were not what they thought. Lots of scared people like myself looking for answers to post-rhinoplasty concerns.

Day of surgery: I was quite anxious, but the...

Day of surgery: I was quite anxious, but the nursing staff did a great job keeping me calm. Saw the doc for a few minutes beforehand, and he reviewed what specifically we were going to do. Then off the OR I went, and in a snap I woke up a few hours later and it was all over.

Day 1 post-op: The nurse warned me that I might wake up with a sore throat due to the breathing tube they would need to use on me during the procedure, and she was right. My throat was very irritated and it was difficult to eat, drink, or swallow at all the first and second day post-op. Sticing with very soft foods and liquids on this day. Fortunately, this has been the most severe part. Very minimal pain around my nose/eyes, despite all the bruising. It more or less feels like having a bad head cold, very stuffy and heavy feeling, slight headache. it is also quite uncomfortable to have to sleep with my head elevated. I'm more of a fetal sleeper, so staying on my back with my head lifted is tough for me.

Day 2 post-op: Lots of dried blood in my nose (thankfully, the doc did not use any packing). I used some q-tips and peroxide to gently loosen up some of the blood and remove it as gently as I could. In retrospect, it's probably best I just not touch inside the nose at all. Don't want to poke anything out of whack.

The bruising around my eyes is a bit more severe. I can feel the tightness every time I blink and I think my vision is a bit blurred. Also, have a little bit better range of motion with my mouth so it's a bit easier to eat, and my throat irritation is starting to subside

Day 3 post-op: Still very stuffy but I can actually breathe through my nose now and then. Throat is almost fully back to normal. Eating most anything I'd like. Bruising under my eyes is lightening up a bit.

So far, I've only needed to use pain meds sparingly, mostly to help me fall asleep. Today is Monday, and my splint will be removed Thursday. I can tell already that my nose is smaller all around, but obviously it is too soon to tell what it actually looks like or will look like.
Dang it, I missed the photos! I read your review when it was first posted and didn't have any and now it doesn't, either.

Day 6 post-op: Splint is off, nose looks very...

Day 6 post-op: Splint is off, nose looks very swollen but great. Achieved exactly what I was shooting for. Fits much better with my face. Really happy with the result, Nose is still very tender and sore to touch, and still a good amount of blood caked up in the nostrils, but it's really no problem.
Hi Bseargent,
Congrats on getting the results you wanted!
Hey! I saw your post when you had the pictures up, and do agree with everyone who said you looked good the way you were. At the same time, though, I could see what you might not have liked about your nose, and think that it was brave of you to move forward regardless of what others had to say. Sorry that you did not receive a lot of support before taking the plunge - but glad that you came back to update us after you did! Would love to see the before and after... You were handsome before, so I'm sure you must be radiating confidence now!
Thank you for the nice comment :) I will get pics back up soon, probably once I have a more refined result. Then I'll put everything back up.

At 2-weeks post op, finall got some pics up. sorry...

at 2-weeks post op, finall got some pics up. sorry for the bluriness. my pc cam takes awful photos. still slight bruising under my eyes anda nasty scab in my left nostril. nose is still tender and swollen, and i am still pretty numb where the opne incision was. but i'm feeling and looking better each day. just being patient, and still quite happy with the results!
Amazing, I'm trying to decide for myself but still on the fence...
Took me about 10 years to finally make the decision, so I can understand!
Very nice, and you still look like YOU :)
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Really great surgeon. Very patient, and very clear with me. Never felt pressured to do anything I didn't want to do. Highly recommend.