Fraxel Ruined my Skin and Life

I had one Palomar 1540 restore treatment a little...

I had one Palomar 1540 restore treatment a little over two years ago and it ruined the texture of my skin and broke nearly every blood vessel on my face. Before the procedure I had near perfect skin except for some fine lines around the eyes.

The healing process went exactly as described yet two weeks after I started to have major issues such as broken blood vessels, wrinkles that were not visible before and a strange grid like pattern all over my entire face. When I went back to the tech who preformed the procedure she informed me that the grid-like pattern would shed off in time and the broken vessels were probably there to begin with even though it was not noted in the pre-op report.

Two years later the strange pattern isstill present along with more broken veins and extremely dry skin. I have spent a ton of money trying to repair the laser damage but nothing seems to have worked. Please do not do this procedure unless your skin is really bad and even then I still would hesitate.

I am 3.5 years out from one 1540 treatment and my...

I am 3.5 years out from one 1540 treatment and my skin still has the weird grid pattern and broken vessels. The extreme dryness has improved and the texture is not as bad as a year ago. I purchased a skin care line called Osmosis and I feel this is why I have seen some improvement and the fact I have juvedem and Botox injected every six months. Ladies please do not let this laser touch your skin. I have consulted many top derms and plastic surgeons in my area and all of them have replaced the palamar 1540 machines since they have seen little to no
Improvement in their patients skin.

I do not blame the tech who preformed it nor the doctor just Palomar

Hello and I am sorry that you have been unpleased with the outcome of your procedure. I am a bit confused a you are combining the names of two separate treatments that are trade names of two separate companies. Fraxel restore, and palomar 1540 fractionalized treatment. I've had both and vast experience actually performing the 1540. Patterns are a normal process, at times when either too aggressive or dealing with thin severely damaged skin the pattern can be long term with any fractional laser. In which case I've also experienced when I had the SmartXide DOT fractional laser. Personally the fraxel restore have me no improvement in melasma or fine lines and wrinkles.
Sorry about the confussion. I believe I had the Palomar 1540. The place where I had the procedure was comparing Palomar to Fraxel, and that is why I myself was confussed. Anyway, my skin is back to normal. The track marks & pustles really frightened me, and I didn't feel comfortable to go out in public until at least day 10. I have very thick, good (non skin damaged) skin. Just trying to do things that will help me maintain my skin! The place I went to understood my not wanting to continue the treatments and refunded me my money. Shortly after they discontinued doing the procedure entirely. So I have to think others were having similar results, and were leering of continueing on. Anyway, a few months later I did the treatment that I wanted prior to getting this Palomar....Ultherapy! I loved it and should have done it initially, but the gal selling Palomar said I'd have similar results for a fraction of the cost. Ultherapy is expensive, but it certainly tightened my skin. People who didn't know I did it think I look younger lately, and I get lots of compliments on my skin. Thank you for asking!!! :)

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I am still beautiful despite what palomar did to me and will gladly post a picture of me you wanna be you know what meeewo
I don't understand any of your sentences. Anyway, I hope you find a way to repair what this Dr. Did to you're face. I had a horrible experience with a Rynoplasty gone wrong, but I was lucky to find a Dr. Who was able to completely repair it- I truly hope the same for you. Nobody deserves to be damaged by aesthetic treatments. I'm sure you will be fine.

All the Best,
-J.J.
Thanks and would appreciate you emailing me privately if you have any advice on my condition
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Please learn how to spell miss kitty girl

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I just had the Palomar Lux1540 laser treatment done 3 days ago. I am shocked and frankly scared. I cannot leave my home. I have no idea why I was told there is no downtime. The damage to my face cannot be covered by makeup. I wish I would have seen this review prior to getting it done (and buying a package). I do not know the setting the nurse used....But it is obvious she went heavier on one side than the other. I am severely red and blotchy looking on one side. The waffling is starting to appear and so is the sandpaper effect. However, the severity of the red coloration (or bronzing) is what concerns me. This has only gotten worse since treatment. I am also completely broken out with tiny bumps and pusstuals. It is gross as I had very nice clear skin before. I drove to the laser center yesterday, and the nurse assured me that this is normal. However, instead of 2 or 3 times downtime, she is now saying 2 weeks. What the heck? If I am stuck with long term effects because this nurse decided to go too aggressively, and ruined my skin, I don't know what I will do. I agree with this reviewer. Don't do this is you have nice skin and are only thinking of generating collagen. You will be sorry. Please let me know how you are doing now.
I can send you some research articles that will help you avoid pitfalls in how to deal with your damage. Things I wish I had been told the truth about when I was trying to recover. When you read research, make sure its not done by a paid consultant to the laser company. Retin A is toxic. You essentially put a chemical burn on top of a physical burn when you use it. So are Skin Medica products (known to be toxic; check out the data sheets by the EPA on each individual ingredient). This line, for some reason, is frequently pushed on many people post laser, probably bc the inventor is a laser "guru". Waiting a year is just to stall and ruin your legal options to keep the doc out of trouble. Some things get better over time. Many others can get worse over time. Doctors don't know how to help you and many discriminate against laser survivors when you go for help. They dont want to mess with damaged goods. Too much liability. Most of what you will read and hear will be very confusing. Learn to trust your intuition. If its not logical, despite what a doctor says, trust yourself. These lasers are experimental. They didn't do long term followups and thus don't know what to do to fix all this, except wait and see. Learn to meditate. Read up on radiation damage and cellular apoptosis and take care of yourself. Avoid anything that causes inflammation. Have hope. You may be one of the lucky ones who at the end of all this, just has no results to show for it? Many of us have long term, permanent, even progressive damage. The whole "generating collagen" bit is scientifically impossible and marketing b.s so the companies make profit. The burn actually causes cellular swelling which later fades to reveal the damage. The collagen is denatured and may or may not recover from injury. Even if it does, it will be via scar tissue. You were told no downtime, as many of us were, so they could make money. If they told the truth, most people with any sense wouldn't do this. Who has 2-3 years to sit around like a hermit and wait for all this to improve with the added risk that it may never improve? That much transparency would kill business. You were misled. You couldn't possibly have made a wiser choice, since they didn't give you full, truthful information. You deserved better.
Hi, I had the procedure 2 months ago and I still have the pattern in my face and some darkening and redness in that area. U mention something that will help with the healing. Can you share that with me?? Thanks!!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Why do you have a problem with filing a complaint?  Even if the operator is at fault, the F.D.A. and manufacturer should have this information.  Products and drugs are recalled daily based on this type of reporting.  In addition, if the manufacturer is aware of these side efffects (even if the percentages are low), then it is the obligation of the manufacturer to make this information available.  Of course, I'm sure it is much easier to blame the operator.

First of all, this thread is labeled "Fraxel". Fraxel has NOTHING to do with Palomar's Lux 1540- they're two different companies. However, ppl are coming to this social platform and running their mouths in regards to things they don't understand. Further more, if your Dr. Prescribed you a drug and a certain dose to take daily, and you exceed that does, have a negative outcome- how is it the drug's or the manufactures fault? It's not- it's either the patients for not doing their homework, or the clinician's for not being more thorough.

Fractional photothermolysis is the science whether it is Fraxel or Palomar.  I do agree with your point that people are "running their mouths in regards to things they don't understand".   How could someone understand that a medically approved device can actually cause harm and damage especially when they were never informed of the possible side effects and adverse reactions?  They were promised great results with little downtime.  According to DrugWatch, 71% of all Class III (highest level) medical devices cleared through the FDA's 501(k) process are recalled.   All operator error?  Let's look at your drug analogy....the arthritis drug Vioxx was recalled in 2004 (after 5 years on the market) due to increased risk of heart attacks and stroke not because the patient's or prescibing doctor's negligence.  Interesting to note, both the FDA and manufacturing company were both criticized (to the tune of $5 billion dollars) for ignoring the evidence of the dangers of Vioxx before the recall.  It is estimated that 140,000 people were affected in this drug recall alone.  Sorry, I can't buy the "patients not doing their homework" theory your present.

You just contradicted yourself in a major way. You "how could the patients understand this medical treatment" and then you finish by saying you don't "buy my theory of and by the same dispute"? Further more, I am in compliance with the FDA and their ignorance, however I myself undergo these skin tightening and resurfacing procedures multiple times a year, and always have a positive outcome, and so do all of my patients, why? Because we are well equip with the proper knowledge of how to operate this device. Plain and simple. It's all about the operator, I didn't get some magical machine, we just do it correctly at my clinic.

Fair enough.  However, I maintain that "patients not doing their homework or the clinicians not being more thorough" is not the only problem.  It does not explain how 71% percent (3 out of 4) medical devices are recalled even after receiving FDA's 501(k) clearance.  If you want patients to do their homework, why do you have a problem with filing complaints?  Without knowledge from patients, doctors, providers, manufacturers and the like, how do we gain this knowledge?  I shutter to think that Vioxx would still be on the market if no one ever came forward with their complaints and complications.  I have no problem with you "running your mouth" about your good experience.  In return, I ask that you should not have a problem with the same.
Please don't misinterpret my wish that these complaints just merely filed properly- in regards to filing a complaint against the practitioner, not against the manufacture- the manufacture clearly states in all promotional paraphernalia the pros and cons (side effects) from these treatments.
You are wrong since the wave length regardless of what type of machine or handpiece you use is 1540 which goes much deeper than what you quacks describe