LHE Hair Removal: it's all grown back. NOT worth the time or money - Seattle, WA

I've been considering doing some sort of hair...

I've been considering doing some sort of hair removal for a while now. I decided to start with the bikini area (basic, not extended) since waxing there is ridiculously excruciating. Apparently, LHE (light, heat, energy) isn't the same as laser hair removal, which I didn't know. I bought my 6 sessions at a MedSpa on Living Social (the above price is the approximate cost before subtracting my discount, so I'm paying about $150 out of pocket) and realize this isn't the ideal situation in which to have hair removed. I'm kind of regretting it now and wishing I went with a doctor.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I got there. The esthetician had me take off my pants (undies stayed on) and lie on a cot covered with a towel. She then placed an ice pack on the area to be treated for about 5 seconds and proceeded to zap the hairs. The first two zaps after the ice was removed didn't hurt, but once the cold started to wear off, which it did very quickly, the zaps hurt. Much less than waxing, mind you, but still...painful. The pain was very quick and disappeared as soon as the LHE device was removed from the area. Every time she zapped me, I jumped from the pain, which made me feel silly, but was completely involuntary. Also, the room started to smell like singed hair. The whole session lasted about 7 to 8 minutes. I'm to go in every two weeks for the first 4 sessions, and then every 4 weeks for my last two sessions. We'll see if this works. The next time I go I'm going to ask her to apply the ice pack more often (after every 2 or 3 zaps) and see if that helps the pain.

April 12, 2012

I had my second LHE appointment last week. It was so much better than the first. I put lidocaine on the area to be treated (and wiped it off before treatment), and requested that the esthetician use ice between every two zaps. (This esthetician, Jennifer, explained things much, much better than the first (sweet, but not as educating) one I had). She explained that icing is a balancing act because you don't want to freeze the hair follicle and keep it from responding to the light.

She did ice a lot more often though and I only jumped about twice this time. Not sure if the lidocaine, which was really old, helped or not.

Jennifer also explained that LHE, like lasers, have been honed and improved over the years. She said the newness of the machine/bulbs makes a difference as to how effective your treatments will be. The unit she was using was brand new.

Since my second treatment, I definitely notice a difference in hair growth, or lack thereof. I feel like I could wear a swimsuit with very little depilatory action. Exciting!

11/1/12

It's been a few months since my last treatment and the hair has almost completely grown back. I would not recommend this treatment.

Bella Fiore Organic MedSpa

I loved mine and have full brazilian, underarm, and full leg. The key is to go to someone who uses the Gentlemax Alexandrite lasers as they are by far the best. I finished my treatments over 1.5 years ago and hardly have any regrowth (a few random hairs here and there and then I re-zap)
They did it wrong. Hair laser should be spaced every 6-7 weeks, because otherwise you are not hitting new hair growth and just hitting the same hair follicals. I've had it done on my legs, underarms, brazilian bikini, upper lip, around my areole, eyebrow above and between the eyes. My legs barely have any hair on them after 5 treatments. I need one more. I haven't done it in over a year and the hair has not grown back. The underarm hair is gone as well. I have a few treatments left on the others. I also had one chin hair that they hit and it disappeared for good after only one treatment. I love not having to shave my legs and underarms. The place you went were not trained properly and I am so sorry this happened to you. This treatment does work, my husband and I looked at buying a laser machine for our clinic but he decided it was too much hassle, so I made a deal with Bella Derme to offer it to our patients on fridays. It even works on men's hairly backs which was a problem for one of our nurses husbands!
Angie i had laser on my pubic area (landing strip) about 12 years ago ..at that time i only paid $50 a session and with third or fourth session it has never grown back! Very happy with it ..now i want my BF to do it but imagine it is much more expensive now..
Thanks for the heads up...

That's an amazing price. I don't think LHE is exactly "laser". I was definitely mislead.

Hi... I also got hair removed with laser...obviously a lot better than IPL, first because it's a more expensive machine, has more precision, is collided, colimated, and it has no side effects. With Ipl the correct use is more difficult... But I got my armpits, upper lip and neck done and I am very pleased, esp with the armpits. 13 SESSIONS and it never grew back, with the upper lip is another story. Remember, hormones do influence on this, if you have policystic ovarian sydrome then you're going to have hair grow everywhere... Oral contraceptives...just the organism itself is very different from one person to another...
Good feedback -thx! I was thinking of doing it on my upper lip---a nice small area at least! :0)
I did laser hair removal and I think I did 3 out of the recommended 5 treatments. I can say that the hair is much thinner, but not completely gone. I think if I go back for a couple of more treatments, it will be gone forever. yay

LHE (Light Heat Energy) isn't the same as laser. I think I'm out of luck this time. :( Thanks for your comment, though!

Thanks for the feedback!
Ohhhh myyyy! Good to know-
LHE is better than normal 'laser hair removal' which is only IPL. The reason why you're not getting the results you expected on your bikini area is either: 1. The esthetician isn't using the right temperature for your skin type 2. You have dark hairs (which is normal for bikini area) 3. It's only been 6 treatments and for places with deeper hair follicles it takes a lot more treatments then places with higher hair follicles. If you did 6 treatments on your lower legs, you'd see a drastic difference, but for bikini it'll take a good 15 treatments. Mind you, no laser machine is permanent, it is around a 70% reduction though. DO NOT spread out your appointments too far out because you want to get the hairs while they're still in the anagen stage. Once you have reached the max potential for a laser machine and you want to get rid of the hair permanently then you then move onto Electrolysis. This is the ONLY machine to this day that shows permanent hair loss, but each sessions takes forever since it's one hair at a time. That's why it's not really worth doing before the loss of hair from laser first. I hope this clarifies things for you. :)
Oh gosh... I ALSO had treatments with a MedSpa in Oregon.. Let me just tell you.. Don't trust them. They continually tried to get my to buy more and more of their products after I had come to them from a Groupon offer, similar to your living social offer. They also never answered there phone, and apparently had a lawsuit with a customer after they took her credit card information and went on a spending rampage. :(( I guess we both got what we paid for.. Not a whole lot. Until I read in your review about the LHE I didn't even know that my treatments were not laser hair removal... Wow that makes sense. My Brazilian treatments also grew back but much lighter and thinner. I would not give up on laser hair removal just yet because MedSpa wasn't even laser hair removal at all. I am now having REAL treatments done with an Alexandrite laser and the results are fantastic! Completely wonderful! I am sorry for your bad experience though!!
LHE is not permanent, only true laser. LHE is IPL plus energy.Find a groupon, start again... http://alternaluxe.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-choose-laser-hair-removal.html

That is great info, anne!

Any updates? I'm just about to buy a package of the LHE treatment for my back (time to get it done!!!) and would appreciate some feedback from your overall experience.

I've had six sessions now. The results are pretty good, but still patchy. I bought another six sessions to clean everything up. I really can't say if it's a hundred percent worth it yet. If it doesn't look pretty darn clean after these sessions, I'll probably buy a few laser sessions with a doctor (rather than a medi-spa) to get this taken care of. Hope this helps!

I bought the Remington IPL6000USA I-Light Pro, Professional IPL Hair Removal System about a month and a half ago and saw results that are permanent after the third treatment. I was so glad to come across this product and it truly works. Plus, it was affordable for at home use.
How can you POSSIBLY see permanent results after 1.5 months? Don't be silly. Come back in another couple of months AT LEAST!
IPL and the remingon are not permenent. It is temporary, just very long term.

I'm interested to hear about the final results in a few weeks time. It sounds a little too painful for me, but then again I don't have a very high pain tolerance to begin with! More ice sound slike a good plan if it was wearing off quickly.