All on Four - Dr. Golpa - Las Vegas, NV

Desperation! In the past decade my dentists just...

Desperation! In the past decade my dentists just loved extracting my teeth leaving me with gaps. Their solution to everything messing up my bite creating more problems. On May 8, 2013 I went to my denist and two more teeth were extracted being informed that I was going to need partials and within a year- dentures. My daughters wedding is end of June and I was informed I wouldn't have my partials till end of July. I was told I didn't qualify for implants. That's when my very intense research began! Dr. Golpa's name kept surfacing and I finally braved myself to make the call.

Update - day four

It has been a rough four days. I'm grateful my teeth are out and I was able to get implants. I mouth is still tender and I have some throbbing under the new bridge. Eating has been a challenge as my teeth feel numb and I'm not biting well yet. What my husband and I have noticed since yesterday after my mouth has settled some is my whole face has changed and not for the better. I look 15 years older and my lips are non existent with the way they made my teeth. They made my new teeth smaller - too small for my face and my luscious lips are literally a straight line. You can not see my teeth when I talk and it looks like I'm toothless. My appointment is this
Tuesday and I am going to address these issues immediately as I feel uglier than with my messed up teeth. At the moment I don't even want to go back to work because I look so sullen and old. All my co-workers know I left Thursday to have my all in four done and are anxiously waiting to see the new me. How embarrassing tomorrow will be. I want my face and lips back. On the positive side - I like the color of the teeth but at the moment that's about all.

First day back at work and in the public eye.

It's conclusive... I look 25+ years OLDER! My boss said he didn't even recognize me. Most of my swelling is gone so it didn't play much of a part in this. It's the teeth! One co worker wanted to know when my new teeth were going to be put in my mouth. I told him they are in my mouth and them showed him. He thought I had no teeth at all. Then he said, " you look so OLD!" What an emotional day. Instead of showing off a beautiful smile and gorgeous new teeth I was embarrassed and mortified. Not the outcome any of us expect when we research and make the decision to "better" ourselves and our appearance via full mouth implants.

I wrote an email to Kealy @ Dr. Golpa's office last night explaining my dilema. Bless her heart she called the minute I got home from work today. I cried my eyes out and poured out all the emotions I held in all day. I have my appointment tomorrow and we'll go from there and see where it leads. Unfortunately, I'll be on a very low profile at work and interact with as few people as possible. I wish I was well off enough to stay home and not see anyone till this is taken care of. I'm more recluse than I was before. I have not left the house since my procedure except to go to the doctors office and today to go to work. Hopefully, this will be corrected quickly and I'll feel like my original decision was a good one.

Wax try-ins and another week of hiding!

I just got back from my appointment. Everyone was sympathetic -unfortunately, I wanted quicker results. I was in the office over 2.5 hours. More impressions taken. My bridges were removed to take impressions of them too. My husband joined in on the consultation armed with photos as recent as 5 years ago before my teeth fell apart to show what my face used to look like. Dr. Golpa was quite concerned and said this is a very rare occurance. Out of 1000's this has happened only once before where they didn't get it right. Ok - so that's an extremely small percentage - I get that but I am also impatient at the moment and was hoping for a speedier response. As it stands at the moment - the wax try-in will not be ready till Friday and if the wax is correct my teeth will not be ready till next Tuesday. If more adjustments need to be made it will take even longer. This is not a comfort with June 20th around the corner ( next Thursday ) . I want to have a " normal" face for my daughters wedding. What a nightmare!

New teeth!

My new teeth are in. I am very happy to have my face and lips back. Salvinno did a great job remaking my teeth. He and Dr. Golpa really listened to what I wanted and nailed it. Brit and Amanda have been wonderful through my ordeal. All is better. No more hiding or being embarrassed. Just in time for the wedding! Happy smiles now!

Here they are.

I look like ME again.

6 Weeks post op

After a shaky start, communication lapses, a long unexpected surgery and the wrong size teeth in the beginning - all is well. I had my appointment yesterday (7/17/13) to see how my bone graft is doing as well as all my implants. X-rays showed that I'm healing great. The bone is integrating faster than expected and I'm doing a good job of keeping my bridges clean. The staff that dropped the ball earlier has stepped up and really taken care of business. Brit who has always been exceptional went a step beyond and actually drove to my home one evening to deliver my night guard so I didn't have to drive across town to pick it up the next day. So I am very happy on how this is progressing. This procedure is definitely worth it.

3 months post op

After having these teeth in awhile I am noticing things I'd like changed when I get fitted for my permanent set. I know the gums have shrunk and that is going to be refit but the gums on the bridge are bugging me. They bulge or feel like they are bulged out like chipmunk cheeks on the upper and lowers. I would like to make several other tweaks and I am making a list. I have till December to make all my notes. I'm eating close to normal. I just miss my raw veggies. Still not allowed to crunch on hard veggies till I get my perms. Cleaning can be a challenge sometimes as there is a lot of room under the bridge now so tons of food collects under it. The water pik helps as well as mouthwash and brushing. I am counting the months and weeks to the day I get my perms.

The perms - no rush.

I decided I wanted to make too many adjustments on the perms and I don't want the process hurried. So instead of going in and trying my original wax the way they are and just tweaking them. I want the teeth a little longer (bigger) and a wider bite. My tongue feels like its cramped and needs more room so the teeth need to be pushed out. So my appointment is the same but I will meet with the tech and Dr. G. about the changes - then try the wax as many times as I need to before the teeth are made. With all the holidays the office will be closed. When I told them I don't need to have my perms before the holidays and early January is fine - they were good with that. No rush. I want to get the perms right as these will be the last set.

The Perm Process Begins.

I already felt I made the best choice in choosing Dr. Golpa before my six month appointment. Now I know I really have. He's the BEST. I had no clue how the process would be for my perms - only the stories I have read here on this site. I left my appointment - ESTATIC! My new teeth are being made with PMMA. As explained to me - it is the top of the line - one tick below proceline itself. I was shown the "block" that the teeth will be formed from. I was also told - they do not stain and are stronger than the normally used acrylic. As if that wasn't enough good news - Dr. Golpa's new lab is open - it is across the parking lot from the office and is State of the Art.
I met with the tech and Dr. G. - Carlos took a picture of my teeth - printed it out on letter size paper so the tech and Dr. G. could draw and mark on it by the tooth with me navigating my thoughts. They copied my note list of the things I wrote down making the changes on the picture. Dr. G. was very attentive as was the tech. As we went over the changes Dr. G. would have me bite and check things as each change was made on the paper. Brit took X-rays to see my progress - they were great. Everything integrated beautifully. Then I chose the color. I went back and forth for an hour trying to decide. I went down two shades from my temps as these do not stain. They will still be a pretty white - just not blaring white. I go back Jan. 7th for the wax try in. I'm very excited and feel extremely confident in the changes. I prepared myself for the "we are almost done with you attitude" that I keep reading about with others. This was not the case. I felt like the most important patient - like I was the only patient around. I was fussed over and listened too and greeted like someone of extreme importance. I felt relaxed and comfortable and more importantly - I felt confident in the communication exchange between Dr. G. and the tech - Jose.
I will write a new update after my wax try ins and throughout this process.

Perms

I've had my perms for a few days. They are stronger and better than my temps and I can eat anything and everything without worry or pain. It's been years since I've been able to that. My husband says my teeth are close to what they looked like when he first met me. The process took longer than expect but it was necessary so that my bone and the bone graph could integrate with the implants. The X-rays showed they integrated very well. So all in all it was all worth it. My mouth is healthy and I have nice teeth again.

Time flies!

It has been over a year since my journey began. I have learned a lot along the way and still learning. There are certain things to keep in mind if you are contemplating this procedure. One - it's far better than dentures or having few to no teeth. It's a healthier option. No more cavities, toothaches, swollen gums or loose teeth. Would I do this again - definitely! Is it perfect - no. Most people feel this is the do all end all solution to a perfect mouth and smile. There is maintenance on a daily basis. Food does go under the bridges and needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes plugs fall out and need to be replaced. Sometimes you agrevate an implant with the water pik and causes discomfort. Little things we learn to live with. But all in all it was the best solution for my situation. I'm glad I discovered this procedure and Dr. Golpa.
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

My procedure was Thursday 6/6/13. I had 23 very compromised teeth with seriously infected gums that were extracted. I ended up with some complex issues and nine hours of surgery. They ended up needing to put cadaver bone in my upper arch and an extra implant. Not much pain a little swelling and a lot of throbbing after the procedure. I was semi conscious through out the procedure. I went back in yesterday 6/7/2013 and had my new teeth put in. Dr. Golpa is definitely second to none with this procedure. Under my circumstances he made adjustments without hesitation to give me the best possible outcome with a less than normal situation. Because of my complex surgery I will not be biting an apple for six months. My only complaint is communication breakdowns between the front office and everything else. There were many lapses that took place. Dr. Golpa himself is wonderful , passionate and proficient.