Sculptra - It's All About the Doctor Who Does It - Larchmont Village, CA

Cons - none really, except some swelling that...

Cons - none really, except some swelling that takes a good 5 or so days to go down. No one noticed until I pointed it out, but I was aware of it and wouldn't do it less than a week before I had to do anything special.

Pros - it's so subtle no one notices except you. It also last much longer than the other fillers, and I prefer the idea of a filler that stimulates my skin to rejuvenate itself over time instead of plumping it up with something artificial.

I've had Sculptra twice now. First time was in April 2010. I woke up one morning and thought I'd slept funny, I had a deep pock mark on one side of my face around the naso labial fold area. After a few days of it not disappearing with a shock I realized my naivety. A pillow crease? No - it was the beginning of a deep line on one side of my face and the beginnings of the dreaded 'parentheses' marks around my nose / mouth. It was age! (I was 38 at the time). What bothered me most was that it didn't really look like a line, it was like a deep pock mark, and one side only. (I've since realized that side of my mouth and cheek move much more than my left).

I did a lot of research online and found that a doctor who trained other doctors in Sculptra use in Aids patients was conveniently extremely close to my home. I went to see her and two years later I don't regret it for a second. I just had a second lot done this December. So it was almost two years before I felt the need to address it again. I did have the most enormous bruise on my face the first time. I mean I looked like a battered wife and had to hide at home for several days. It's possible a vein was hit, or I've also since found out green tea makes you more prone to bruising and I drink at least 3 cups of green tea a day. This December I made a point of no green tea for a week beforehand and I just had swelling, no bruising.

For all the people who have had bad experiences, my heart goes out to you. But blame the user not the tool. In other words the problem is not Sculptra - it's who injected it into you. You have to find a doctor who is experienced with Scupltra specifically and ask to see their own before and after photos. It's not good enough to see the promotional ones, you want to see what they have done personally in their clinic. I was able to see many photos of patients my doctor had worked on and after reading up on her on and doing a lot of research I felt safe in her hands, but honestly I wouldn't let anyone else touch my face. So if you haven't done it yet, please, please find a good, experienced doctor. Scupltra is absolutely worth it and a remarkable product, you just have to be in the right hands. Below are photos of the line before I had Sculptra. I just had IPL today so when my face has calmed down (!) I'll take a photo of what it looks like now.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

She's kind of no nonsense. Don't expect a lot of hand holding, but I don't mind that. I'm not a baby and I just want my questions answered properly and for her to have done the research and know what she's talking about. She's a doctor, I just want to feel confident she knows what she's doing, and she is, which makes me feel less nervous. There's always a long wait, but I don't mind. She's really busy and I'd rather she was in demand then I went and the place was dead! She does answer my questions, but I usually feel she's rushed, which she is, she has many other patients. The only issues I have with the payment process is they never give you a breakdown of what you had done and the costs, you just get the credit card receipt. I'd like to know what I had done and how much. I honestly don't remember what other fillers I've had and I don't like that! The only other thing is the doctor will make suggestions and I trust her suggestions, but I have no clue on price and sometimes I feel a little blindsided when the bill comes. She gets me all excited about what she can do and I just sort of say yes without fully understanding the costs. (But I'm always happy with what she does).

Dr. Fitzgerald is Sculptra expert. Sanofi-Aventis uses her to train medical professionals from all over the country on proper techniques for Sculptra. I began using Sculptra 4 years ago. I absolutely LOVE it!!! I have only had to had "touch up" injections a few times over the past 4 years. Nobody knows that I have done anything because it is not a filler. I always get compliments like, "Your skin looks so good", "You look so well rested" "What do you use to moisturize your face?" I highly recommend Sculptra, but not injected by anyone but Dr. Fitzgerald. She not only does my Sculptra injections, but she also does my mom's and 4 of my close friends who all look stunning!
I concur. She may be brusque and I always feel a little hurried, but I would not trust anyone else to use Sculptra. I'm so sorry 5308anon had a bad experience, I hope the lumps settled down and that was just a temporary reaction. Last time I did have a little lump on my forehead that no one but me would notice, but that settled in after a month or so. And one time she must have hit a vein or something around my nose because I had the most enormous swelling and a bruise that turned every shade from black, to purple, to yellow. I looked like I'd been socked in the jaw, it took a good week to not look like I'd been in the ring with Mike Tyson. But I second what KimLC says - no one has any clue I've had anything done, I look exactly the same as I always do, I just to barely seem to be aging!
Dr. Fitzgerald did my sculptra and my experience with both her and the sculptra were awful! She yelled at her staff the entire time I was with her, the sculptra left me with marble sized lumps all over my face and her attempt to hide those lumps by surrounding them with filler only gave my face a distorted look. I look every bit my age for the first time ever and all this cost me over $8000 for 2 sessions.
Ditto...to the letter. I have lumps, I look awful, she tried to hide them with more filler, berated her staff the entire time. I wish I'd never heard of her or sculptra.

You are so right about the importance of finding a good, talented, injector. I'm glad you were able to find one close to home!

Your skin looks really young for 38, even in the befores you have posted - can't wait to see your afters!

it does indeed depend on the Doctor...mine in Atlanta trained with the Doc in Florida, who did it as Nu-Fill as done in Europe, before it was FDA approved in the USA...I used to look like "Skelator" from facial Lipodystrophy , but 8 years and many treatments later, no lumps, no complaints...thanks tp the PAP...I look less scary