Mother of 3 Finally Getting That Mommy Makeover! - La Mesa, CA

I had my youngest child almost 5 years ago and due...

I had my youngest child almost 5 years ago and due to work conflicts I have waited 5 years to make this plunge. My surgery is scheduled in a little over two weeks and I just had my pre-op appt. Dr. Pousti and his entire staff have made the whole process so far amazing. They have been very patient as I have changed my mind about what it is exactly I want and they have even had the pleasure of dealing with my husband who asks 1 million questions. :) I am nervous but excited at all the same time. I will make sure to add some photos of before and after and I will update this as much as I can prior to and throughout the entire healing process.

Day Before Surgery

Day before surgery. Here are pictures of me the day leading up-to surgery and after the markings. They will do the marking again on the morning of surgery which helped considering I will probably sweat through my shirt tonight. Less than 24 hours out and I am having crazy dreams about waking up with Dolly Parton boobs! But I am confident that Dr. P and his team will take care of me. I don't plan on getting much sleep and nothing to eat/drink after midnight which makes me feel like a gremlin. I gave the Dr. P my "boob board" to help give him some inspiration and a better idea what I am looking for in the end; trust me, after staring at hundreds of boobs they all start to look the same.

Day of Surgery

Day of Surgery. Starving. Thirsty. And Im stuck wearing this big purple suit with a built in heater. THank you to my husband who is selfishly drinking coffee right next to me.

IV is in. Markings are redone. Im nervous as hell but there is no turning back.

Surgery is expected to take 4 hours, plus 1.5 hours of recovery.

See you on the other side, body!

2 Days Post OP

Day One is over!

Day two. Pain is still pretty intense but better than the day before. Think about everything you use to do by yourself and realize that you can't do it anymore without help. We have the future-istic view of me bent over using the walker at the age of 90. We had great plans to recover in the master bedroom upstairs, but the thought of climbing up 1 flight of stairs in this condition seemed like climbing Mt. Everest. So, we decided to concede to the downstairs couch.

Going to the bathroom is a twenty minute round trip; and once again, don't think your going to do that by yourself. Saving grace: Shagalicious blue bedrest and my my oversized elevated leg pillow to keep my body at 45 degrees (both were purchased on Amazon). I don't have much of an appetite, trying to stick to a soft diet and drinking lots of fluid (water/juice). My kids want to help: one is on water patrol and keeps me hydrated, the other is responsible to wiping down my arms with baby wipes.

Aside from that, time for another doze of pain pills and a nap!

3 Days Post OP

First off, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for your positive comments and good wishes! This is really my first attempt at a blog in my entire life, so please bare with me. So...Dr. P made a house call last night, how awesome is that? Who knew that we still how doctors that actually did that? I probably shouldn't have looked under the bandages while he was checking. Swelling is worse around the stretch marks because the skin is thinner. He recommended adding another pillow under my legs to increase the elevation which really helped. He is going to send me photos taken during the operation which I intend to upload once I receive them.

Milestones for the day: I was able to get off the couch and go to the bathroom by myself. Lets see, I have slowly been weaning off the narcotics and I have only been taking the minimum amount; once in the morning and once in the evenings. Discomfort in my chest area is almost completely gone. My husband was able to wash my hair for the first time since the surgery, bent over a kitchen sink; it felt like a small win for today's battle.

Its only day three and I am already starting to get bored just sitting on the couch. I am a little worried after seeing my stomach that I wont be satisfied, but I am staying optimistic and I know the healing takes time.

If anyone has questions please let me know, I am an open book and I will try to answer the best I can. And California doesn't sell sparklers; what's that all about!? Happy 4th of July!

Day 4 post OP

Three more beautiful pictures! And yes, thats iodine showing on the back of my binder and not what you were probably thinking.

Alright, so... first day with my hubby back at work and I am by myself with the two young ones; and in case your wondering there are not that many quality television shows on Nickelodeon these days. What ever happened to the glory days of Ren and Stimpy or Heyyyyy Arnold?

I had an at-home-nurse come by this morning. Not sure if your doctor has talked to you about at home assistance, but we have elected not to use a full time nurse. Instead, we just used her this one time to help in the morning and I have nothing but positive things to say about her; very helpful. For those of you that don't have the best support base I would highly recommend getting an at-home-nurse; I was just lucky to have a husband on leave from work for a few days and it worked out in our favor.

New observation for the day: When you have to walk hunched over the entire time you notice how dirty the floors look. Perhaps I could do a better job at cleaning with my new boobs!

My pain pump is completely empty. My tube output is down to less than 25ml on both sides for the entire day (for some perspective I started out with +80ml on the first day)

2 Questions to anyone who has gone through this procedure already: Did you take all of your pain meds before transitioning to Motrin and when can I start drinking hot tea again?

Signing off and looking forward to tomorrow!

9 Days Post OP

First appointment with Dr. Pousti after surgery, also first time out of the house. Let me tell ya how good it feels to not be stuck on a couch all day. Also I had the grand ole privilege of sporting my walker in public.

I am three days off vicodin. Pain pump removed. Drains removed early! There is some swelling around the entire incision area; the doctor said the two most important things were eating nutritional meals with lots of protein and staying bent over a much as possible. Because the skin is very thin on stretch marks there is a concern of tearing the suture.

This appointment was mainly to check for infection, not a beauty pageant! Belly button still doesn't look like a belly button yet. My scar looks hideous. My first impression of my boobs is that they look big, VERY BIG! I was told to start massaging my breasts next week to prevent "capsular contracture", in other words to let the implants move around and get comfortable in their new home; my husband proudly volunteered for the breast massaging duty, but he doesn't get to touch these bad boys just yet.

I uploaded a bunch more photos. Tell me what you think.

21 Days Post OP

I uploaded a new photo. What do ya'll think?

I have my 3 week appointment tomorrow. I am a little concerned that I can't standup straight right now. Also I have a very dark scab formed over my incision line which I have read mixed reviews about. Any thoughts?

25 Days Post OP

Slowly progressing. Still told to stay as hunched over as possible and wait a few more weeks before showering; my husband is obviously happy about that news because it means he gets to give me more sponge baths.

I am not as tight in the morning as I am in the evening so I can stand up a little straighter. Lower back massages right before bed really help release the tension.

I go back to work on tuesday so wish me luck. What does everyone think of my new pictures?

30 Days Post OP

So everything from belly button up is healing perfectly and I am feeling good. However, the incision around my waist is being difficult and not healing as quickly as I would like. I am going in this Thursday to potentially get re-stitched. Until then I have been directed to do wet-dry dressings to try to clear up what is inside the wound. The wound is not infected which is a plus right, but I wish it had just healed and closed up all ready. Dr. Pousti was very aggressive with how much skin he took off which is awesome, but I think the tension is what is causing the open incision. I will keep everyone updated on how Thursday goes.
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Pousti and his staff have been phenomenal so far. They have answered every question and more. Every appointment puts me more at ease with my decision to have this surgery. So far, I can't have asked for a better experience.