Fraxel Frenzy - Procedure Done for Acne Scars, Brown Spots and Tightening - La Jolla, CA

PRO: Minimal tightening...maybe 10-15% PRO:...

PRO: Minimal tightening...maybe 10-15%
PRO: Think you're going to be happy with results at 10 days out, but then swelling goes away and real results come through.
PRO: Brown spots diminished in appearance
CON: Acne scars which prompted the procedure are still there but my $5,000 is not.
CON: 3 new line shaped scars w/ discoloration
CON: White streaks down one side of my face.
CON: New acne scars from post-Fraxel acne outbreak
CON: Loss of confidence as I have lost my beautiful skin texture and glow...very dry skin now. Husband says I look older than before Fraxel and he's "horrified" he let me do this.
CON: The amount of stress and loss of control this brings to your family is just not worth the minimal "result".
CON: Large pores that were never an issue before.
CON: Lost a full month of work waiting to "recover" enough to go back to life in the public eye and makeup still can't hide it all.
Save your money...more importantly save your soul and peace of mind. Skip Fraxel. You only get one face!

Note that the brown spots actually are coming back...

Note that the brown spots actually are coming back now 1.5 years later even though I never go in the sun without hats/umbrellas. The reason for this is that my face was burned during Fraxel (one procedure) such that hypersensitivity does not allow my face to be in sunlight so I cannot be outdoors without sun protection via sunscreen, plus hat/cover of some kind. This procedure will change your life. More high maintenance. Your skin will change, and not for the better. My doctor was a board certified, "expert". Just not worth the risk. I've also since discovered that Fraxel does not do the removal of brown spots, the Alexandrite does (a cheaper laser), and thus its coupled with Fraxel (the higher cost) laser to generate more income....In summary, the Alex laser temporarily removes brown spots, while Fraxel did absolutely nothing except dry, age, and permanently scar my skin and burn fat, changing the contours of my face and hollowing the 1-2 inch circumference around my eyes.

Not singling out my doctor. I wouldn't recommend ANY provider based on my experience. My doctor seemed like a decent guy in many ways, but I don't know how anyone can sleep at night doing this to people all day long knowing what the consequences will be, even for all the money in the world.

Don't do fraxel!

I had the exact same problems.

I hate that they even allowed it on the market and that all the doctors bought into the marketing hype and then pushed the products onto us.

If they wanted my money so bad, just ask. Tell me the potential side effects and I'll just give you my money to not do the laser! T.T

My life has been ruined. T.T
Im 23 I had this laser done a year ago on my cheek to correct two acne scars. My skin everywhere else was fine but she did this larger area more the necessary and im traumatized. To this day i have an irregular skin texture there with large pores. 3 months after the procedure i went in because i wasnt happy with the pores or "track marks" it left behind and said they would go away in time but to speed the process recommended a micro laser peel to help skin cells turnover quicker... It helped a little some pores def did get smaller or go away around the cheek bone area where my skin was flawless before which is nice but below the cheek bone i have these terribly large pores still... Not only did it not help the two scars but made other ones. It looks worse then before, ive tried using the retin a but i felt like it was drying up that area and making it look even older. Because the pores are so big i constantly get blackheads and have to see facialists to get them out which is another expense. Im thinking that light chemical peels might help it and just prey that overtime the good skin i had around the scars will finally have healed go back to its normal state.
My track marks from the C02 laser 8 years ago are still visible to this day. I had material improvement when I started using Retin-A every night.
please, just feel grateful that you didn't do your entire face like most of us got conned into by the doctors.

try to feel lucky that you only did a portion of your face. can you imagine how my life has been devastated? i'm only 26 T.T and i look like I'm 40 and I feel like i'm 40 inside because of the emotional and mental trauma i've been through. T.T
Hi, I hope you are checking or at least reply please. I had the Sciton Profractional laser and have faint track marks in line of pores. Has the Retin A improve any of it for you? Im freaking out and Im very nervous and scared that its permanent.
Are you still checking this site? Has your skin improved at all?
I had two C02 lasers for acne scarring, each of which a) left me with new laser scars and b) caused new scars from acne break outs. I want to give you some hope that you will see improvement in your skin up to 6 months after the treatment. In order to keep yourself from breaking out, I would strongly suggest using Cetaphil. After years of skin problems this has been a great solution for me. In terms of laser and acne scars, I would strongly suggest going to your dermatologist and getting Retin-A Micro. The retinol, over time, will really start to improve your skin. You just need to be diligent. The reason it works is it is constantly exfolliating your skin. I am still uncomfortable with my looks and have thought about new treatments, but am impressed with the skins ability to rejuvinate with Retin A over time.
Thanks so much for the info. When you say you are still uncomfortable with your looks, is that due to issues remaining after Fraxel that were already an issue for you before you did the procedure, or due to Fraxel results/scarring, drying, etc ? Best Wishes for healing.
To be honest, I got pretty torn up by my second laser treatment which was 8 years ago. I used aquamid to fill out my severe scars which worked great. I didn't start seeing improvement in my laser scars until i really dedicated myself to Retin A. I
did you have fraxel or something else?
So, in general, do you feel like your skin has turned over enough now to be back to the way it was before Fraxel? Or do you feel your skin qualities have changed permanently due to Fraxel? I keep trying to make myself feel hopeful by thinking that the skin eventually (maybe after 1 year) will have completely turned over enough that Fraxel damage may be gone (exfoliated away)? But then I worry that this damage has permanently changed my skin, and perhaps my very DNA, becase lasers go so deep under the skin that perhaps the skin is forever changed? Just curious what your experience has been and how long it took before your skin got back to pre-fraxel state, if ever?
I live in San doego and was thinking of having done. Who was your doc? Thanks
I am in San Diego too. I just made an appointment in La Jolla to have Fraxel done on the 16 th. After reading all of these comments. I have changed my mind. The Dr was really nice and seemed to know what he was saying,But I believe all of you women out there, since you have nothing to gain from your comments. Isn't it sad that society has put us in this position to do what we can to stay pretty and young? What the heck was I thinking? I am getting old and need to learn to deal with it!!!
Gizzie ~ you are so smart to not have it done! Please don't. I don't believe it is the person who does the procedure that is the problem. It is the Fraxel itself. I think some people's skin cannot handle it. The treatment admits to damaging the skin. It is meant to damage the skin. Supposedly, the skin is then supposed to "kick in" and heal itself causing an increase in collagen. B.S.! It's obviouse that some people skin does not heal itself and overcome the damage. I regret doing it every day! Every day! There is a woman on this site that had severe damage and she said that she would have rather lost her arm. My damage isn't as bad, but I can say that I would have prefered to loss a finger.
You are so right. We ALL need to learn to accept that aging is part of life and to surround ourselves with good people who have a grip on whats truly important in life. Fraxel did slightly stimulate collagen temporarily, but at what price, if the skin covering that collagen is ruined? I was 33 with healthy skin besides mild acne scars that nobody noticed except me. With fillers, botox, good skin care regimens, and healthy lifestyles you can really look your best much better now than ever in the past with minor side effects. Congratulations on your decision to save your health and your face. You are beautiful just the way you are!
Can you tell me how long ago you did your last treatment, and when you noticed the negative effects showing up? Have you seen any improvement in the bad effects as time passed? Again, I'm so sorry.
I had only one Fraxel treatment and I will not under any circumstances do another (or a set of treatments). I have heard other people who are told to fix the mess from the first laser treatment by doing one more... I think those people who do it muliple times are the ones at greater risk for the really bad outcomes later. I noticed a long line shaped scar after 10 days but at 4-6 months I was seeing 3 more scars and lines and my loved ones were noticing without me saying anything. The melted candle wax look of my skin has moderately improved over time but I think thats due to my skincare regimen and cell turnover. I'm currently 6 months out and have recently started IS Clinical products which seem to be helping with the outer textural dryness and enlarged pores, but minimally so. I think consulting with a stellar aesthetician (outside of your dermatologist/laser surgeons office) is a must. Your skin is different now than it was before. You may have to adapt your skin care regimen to deal with new issues you are not used to. My derm did not follow up at all on skin care. Before he got paid, he was very attentive. When I started having problems show up, he wouldn't respond to my questions. So you should take the lead on that yourself. I just choose to be good to my skin, eat healthy, and avoid the sun, smokers, AND laser surgeons. Trying to keep a positive attitude and have faith that my skin will heal if I am good to it from now on? That's all I can do. Best wishes to you.
I feel so bad for you! I have read a lot of posts about Fraxel and it seems that even people who have initial good results end up with long-term bad results, some of them massively disfiguring and life ruining. I know everyone blathers on about how important it is to choose the correct provider, but I agree with you - I don't think it really matters who is doing the Fraxel procedure. Fraxel is very new, so nobody can really claim to be an expert provider anyway, and it would appear that simply not enough is known about the long-term effects on skin after Fraxel. Add the fact that the machines are extremely expensive and doctors have to use them to pay for them, and it just seems all bad. It is not right that doctors are practising on real people when they don't know what the outcome will be in 2 or 5 or 10 years' time - especially when that result could be devastating. But they can always hide behind the oft-repeated excuse of 'natural ageing' to pretend it is not related to Fraxel! I hope you find some resolution to your problem. Let us know. Cheers
I am so sorry. I'm worried that I'm looking older now too--I'm about to turn 42. I thought it was just "aging" but now I'm not so sure. I hope your negative results are temporary. I bet they will ban this nightmare treatment soon enough.
Unfortunately the FDA is not an entity that necessarily cares what happens to our faces or psyche as we endure the after effects of this procedure. The FDA is a political machine and like most others, money and other social/peer/political issues factor into what gains approval for release onto the market. So, I hope they ban it, but so long as profits and political connections are working in so many laser providers favor, I doubt it. I think we should all just learn to love ourselves as we are and stop trusting doctors. They have loans and lasers to pay off and the patient is the vehicle to accomplishing that. Age is part of life. You cannot escape it. Between facials and fillers and surgery as a last resort, Fraxel just can't compare. My "mild" acne scars in retrospect were beautiful compared to what now resides on my face.
Thank you so much for your honest review. Like most regulatory bodies, the FDA is a toothless tiger. It is people like you who bother to warn others who save people like me from making the same mistake. Thank you very much for your time. I wish things were better for you and I honestly hope they do get better. K

Hi REalist. I have not gotten one response from my questions to others, but maybe I don't know how to get back to the original threads. I also had fraxel done in Lojolla about 4 weeks ago. I am freaking out about my texture of skin an dlonger term complications. Can you email me to further discuss. Thanks, :)

Realist, I am trying to respond to your email. p;ease send me a private message with the info.
Christine, I'm not able to find the link, "send a private email" for you that I normally see? Any ideas? I will try again over next few days, maybe a technical glitch?