Chin Implant Results- Not Sure How I Like It - La Jolla, CA

So I am now about 3 months post-op. The pictures...

So I am now about 3 months post-op. The pictures below are 2 months post op. Fist off if you are reading this before you put in your deposit great. I didn't find out about this website until a week before surgery at which I was fully paid. I wanted to call it off because I saw Dr. Mabrie's non-surgical chin augmentation via injectables on this site. If I can do this over, I would have gone the non-surgical route fist with him.

About the procedure:
If your going to take time off and don't want people to know, take at least 2-2.5 weeks off. I did and my lip was still numb and I had trouble eating. Luckily no one at work noticed. I would have taken 3 weeks off if I knew that it took that long to look somewhat normal, but not really. This is a painful procedure. There were times I had to take double the prescription because of the shooting pain. I had general anesthesia for this.

The doctor placed a Implantech Medium "anatomical" implant placed infra-orally. I had decided to have the surgery under the chin and doctor assured it was safe intra-orally and had never had any issues with infection or migration or nerve damage. I felt confident with how he felt that was the best route and I am glad I listened to him. I have no issues with numbness at this point or any nerve damage or infection. Sounds like their is a higher risk infra-orally, and maybe I got lucky I didn't get an infection or just simply took care of my mouth hygiene wise well.

The reason I am not sure how I feel about this procedure is because I feel the type of implant the Dr chose added too much length to my face from the front view and from the side It looks like a witches chin with a very meaty tip. The jaw line didn't change much and would have liked more change. It also gave me pre-jowl sulcus as you can see on the second pic. Their is a weird transition from my jaw to chin, like it goes in. I will try and get injectables to add more definition on my jaw and balance the asymmetry on the fullness of my cheeks. Don't want more implants to fix my jaw definition like mandibular angle implants. I chose a great doctor, just feel like a different implant might have been a better choice. Check out my profile for a question I asked to doctors regarding a follow up on what they think of the type of chin implant I have.

What do you all think? I might be hard on myself because I keep looking at myself vs someone else with the same procedure. No one has notice I had this done, I mean no one. If you think my before looks better let me know. I don't want people being nice about how I look, even if the truth might not be what I want to hear about my results. I miss my old chin, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to this new me.

I have scheduled an appointment with my doctor to...

I have scheduled an appointment with my doctor to talk about the vertical length and the indents on the side. I have a medium and i'm thinking a small might have been a better choice. With that in mind, also wondering if the small is enough or get the extended wings to give me more definition on my jaw, that's if it will do that for me or just the anatomical in small in enough with no wings. Will keep you posted.

So I saw my doctor today and he doesn't seem to...

So I saw my doctor today and he doesn't seem to find a problem with my chin implant. I'm debating on getting it removed vs. getting a different model. Not sure I will be going back with him for either. Will be searching for second opinions on what my best options are sometime this month. Really miss my old chin :(

I have decided to either remove or replace...

I have decided to either remove or replace myimplant. I regret getting a chin implant because as I see it now my chin was not "that" bad to start with. I can't live with my chin implant and will start consulting doctors about a revision or removal. I prefer to just have it removed, but I am worried about pitosis and dimpling of the skin. I have yet to see after pic after removal of chin implants on this site or anywhere and that worries me. I have notice it is uncomfortable when I wake up. It takes a few hours for the tenderness to go away. I sleep on my side. Has anyone come across after pics of implant removal?

I saw a dermatologist yesterday and told her my...

I saw a dermatologist yesterday and told her my concerns without being specific with the areas of concern. She pointed them out without saying anything. I am beyond happy, she noticed it! I will be going the fillers route and I am schedule in a few weeks to have Restalyn and possibly juverderm. The areas to he worked on are the sides of my chin, especially my left side, right side on pics as it dips more and that side is my less fuller side. Also, will have a bit put into my crease/fold under my chin and it is more pronounced than before my surgery. I will post a new blog to give cedit to the dermatologist as she will also do work on the left side laughlinea nd cheek as it does not mmatch the fullness as my rightside.
Not ready to give out name

I had a procedure with another doctor before in the same office.

I have to say- I think your results are fantastic. Your face looks so proportioned and feminine. Perhaps I can't see the issues you are looking at but you look beautiful. I am having my implant surgery on November 14th and hope I can achieve a similar look
Thanks! How did your surgery go?
Can anyone recommend a "Chin Implant Removal" Specialist in LA?...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....someone that has had positive results/gotten close to their old chin back. Need this implant out!! Thank you in advance....
Did you get yours removed?
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience.... But I must tell you, and I'm sure the physician told you the same. Also others who want this surgery. Your surgery to place an implant in on your chin is pretty drastic to your chin muscle,bone and nervs.... 6 weeks is way way too early and feeling your implant is normal. Having said that, not sure how you even picked your surgeoun. I mean did u just go to the next locally available doctor to have this cosmetic surgery performed? People need to understand, doctor are like lawyers, a lawyer can be your legal represenetive for any case, divorce, feloney, traffic, drug, immigration, divorce and costudy issues. Now, when you need a lawyer for specific area,let's say immigration, you pick an attorney, that's specialist in immigration and does 75% immigration work. You don't go ahead and pick a lawyer that close to your house, who has maybe done 5 immigration cases in 5 years...just because he is local and convienent. You do the same when picking a plastic surgeoun, not all platic surgeoun are specialist in chin implant and have a track record of 100 chin implants performances a year with awesome feedback in that area. I had my chin done and flew 3000 miles, because I wanted it done by someone who is literally perfect in it and does it weekly. And I. So thankful I did..... I always figured, its ur face. U don't want anyone who has MD behind their name, touch ur face!
Yes, I researched my guy and went to Dubai to have it and paid $6000 (which I think is a little over priced compared to what others pay). He has done hundreds of chin implants and even written a book on it. I think he may just be so used to doing them that he doesn't care anymore about being perfect. But to answer your question, no he didn't tell me how drastic it was. He made it seem like I could go back to work the next day! Luckily I took a week off and then ended up taking a few more days. If I could change anything, I guess I would pick someone who wasn't as busy and rushing around all the time and had more time to make sure my implant was perfect.
You have great results! Which I'm not surprised because you went to Dr. Mabrie. I wanted to go with Dr. Mabrie, but by the time I found out about him, I was a week away from surgery and would have lost 1/2 deposit. Wish I had cancelled, but was done is done. Yes, Dr are salesmen, but I don't blame anyone up myself. Compared to others on this site, it could have been way worse, but it also could have been better. I will decide what to do once my fillers wear off.
Hi Lindanj2. Oh no, I hope mine doesn't do the same thing. I went to my dentist and didn't tell her I had an implant. She didn't notice but said that my chin leaning to the left. Do you have a picture of what it looked like before you had the new surgery? There is this weird tendon or vein or something that pops out on the right side sometimes when I am chewing. Good luck with the removal results!!

I was wondering what I would do about telling the dentist, but then I thought that the x-ray would probably show the chin implant. I will try posting some pictures tomorrow night, How long ago did you have your implant? Why do you think the dentist said that? Usually dentists don't comment about patients facial features unless it has something to do with their bite. I haven't had that popping thing happen to me. Mention it to your doctor to make sure it isn't TMJ. I didn't just have my chin tilting. in my case my right side of my face blew up and was pulling to the left. The corner of my mouth tilted down drastically on the right side and I had difficulty speaking, My eye socket was being pulled downward. keep in touch.

Well I think she mentioned it because I was looking into getting braces and she was measuring my face and overbite. I have that jaw popping thing but only very slightly. I can't believe that your implant turned out so bad. I guess I should count myself lucky, but it seems like things change every week. I got my implant 3 months ago and I'm hoping things don't get worse. Thanks for your comments!!!
Just had my implant removed yesterday. I had it put in six weeks ago and my face started twisting toward my left. My doctor denied it and said I had this tilt before. I asked him if he thought he cut a nerve and he said he wouldn't know. He decided that maybe I had Bells Palsy and gave me medicine for that. Finally, he decided that the implant must be resting on a nerve. One of the doctors preparing me for surgery looked at my face and asked me if I had a stroke. My doctor got very upset when I told him that and wanted to know who said that. I wouldn't tell when I saw his reaction. The other thing that bothered me is that he had a doctor with fewer years of experience working with him. I'm wondering if my doctor pulled me in with his years and years of experience, but this other doctor screwed up the facelift and implant surgery. Anyway they bandaged me up and I have an appointment to see him next Wednesday. I don't even want to see the results. I've driven my husband crazy with this and had to promise never to do any face surgery again. Here's hoping that the result is that I just look normal again. I'm afraid to go back to work. I don't want to look like that woman with the bad plastic surgery.
getting my implant out tomorrow. I had it for six weeks and no one in my family liked it. They told me I looked weird. I know my lip droop in the right side and it was horrible. I look like I had a stroke. I just hope removing the implant corrects the problems.
I too wanna get mine removed..I feel it everytime, it hurts on pressing against the wings, just getting courage to go through another surgery.. :( waiting to get settled in my life first ..!!

Hoping your surgery goes well, Lindanj2!! Well wishes headed your way!

Hi Better Version of ME. Thank you for writing this. I am 7 days out from my chin implant and I have the same problems as you! On my left side I have a huge indentation where we implant meets the jaw. And the right side not so much, but it is still there. It almost seems like when they put the chin implant in it pushed back all the fat under the skin and it collected right after the implant :( My doctor said be patient. Wait a month. Did yours improve at all with time? Also, my smile is crooked/lopsided towards the left side which is less full. Did you have any lopsidedness? My smile was my best feature and now I feel like it has been destroyed.
How are you doing now? I haven't posted my results for the radiesse and perlane, but I like it much better than before because of the indentations. I am 8 months post op and finally "ok" with the results, but not sure of I prefer post or pre-op. I will decide next year when my injectables wear off. Before taking it off, I recommend to wait 5 months. My chin changed so much month to month. I will post another update to everyone knows where I am at 8 months post op.
Hello there! My honest subjective opinion is that your chin/face symmetry looks amazing with the implant. I prefer post-op. I do understand the scrutiny that comes from having a cosmetic procedure. However, you really do look great. I think a smaller implant would have tapered down in an unnatural fashion. I hope you have the results your looking for with the dermatologist...I'm sure you will :-)
Thank you Lourdes. It's been hard. I saw you have breast implants, and as a implant it feels normal, a part of me. The chin implant has been hard on me, I have weird swelling at times and I'm 4 months post op, it feel awkward for a few hours when I wake up and just simply doesn't feel like a part of me. My left side by my crease hurts at times and is very firm. Dr didn't notice it, but I can feel it. I wonder what it could be? But my breast implant felt a part of me right away, my chin has not at all :( hope that changes :( But I'm just comparing both implants because they are both foreign objects in the body.
I've read a few reviews on chin implants (I enjoy reading about various procedures :-) and a common complaint that a lot of women seem to have is stiffness/soreness in the am. Did your PS say if this might get better? I'd imagine the chin implant is much more difficult in terms of recovery than a BA. You use your jaw constantly ...eating,drinking,talking, and I can only imagine how sore it must be. Did your PS say if it takes a while for your body to accommodate to it and for it to start feeling more a part of you. Aesthetically I think you look wonderful, but I'm really sorry that you're having discomfort...you've gone through a lot.
My honest opinnion. I like your chin afterwards. It is more symmetrical with your face from what I see. I know that if you stare at just your chin, it will most likely look out of shape. Most people's do, even if they are good looking. Its like staring at a nose and taking it out of context. Did your P.S. tell you about your face chancing from the front prior to the surgery? Did you ask that? I have read a few instances like yours where people aren't that pleased with the front look, and I am curious if P.S.'s usually tell people what to really expect. Sometimes it seems like they just tell you what you want to hear but they should have the experience and knowledge of the front of the face changing especially if they perform these surgeries regulary.
Thanks! I understand what you mean, being out of context. What brings me down was that my face was not supposed to change from the front, just projection. Its been hard getting used to a long and lean face. My doctor made it seem like a super easy procedure, which it is, but people need to take into consideration that a small change can make a HUGE difference! I got a medium implant and made a big difference and change to my face. I also think I look older, took away myce, which I liked :) that's gone. I also dont like that that I wanted more jaw definition and since the doctor didn't use the extended implant with wings, it actually made it worse. I feel like my before pics had more jaw definition. I didn't pic the implant and doctor chose what would best fit my needs. Sigh.'t L
Phone is typing funky. It took away my baby face, not myce :) also, I just wanted to change my side profile, not my front. Which is what makes this change more difficult to get used to and accept.
One more thing, when I told the doctor about wanting the extended implant for a revision he didn't agree and said I would look too masculine. At that point I realized I didn't want to see him again because he didn't accept my concerns, but would do the revision anyway because thats what I want. I didn't feel comfortable with him doing another procedure if we didn't agree on the things I didn't like and offer solutions to address my concerns.
Hello, I just signed up here, but been following posts about chin augmentation regularly. I have few questions for you. How and why made you choose your surgeon u picked? and how long have you thought investigated and bee thinking about chin augmentation procedure? did you ever think, you may not be happy 100% not because of the size of the implant, but perhaps the shape? which exact shape did you pick or the dr, since there are 3 different anatomical implants. Im having my surgery done in 3 weeks and i thought about this for over 7 years, and it took me 3 years to find the right surgeoun. My goal was to find a surgeon who does chin implant regularly meaning 3-5 times a month, and is double board certified. And has nothing but awesome reviews. I am from the east coast and the surgery will in California... I figured, if im having something done to my face, it has to be by the right person who loves what he does and does it regularly. I already have an idea which specific implant I want, and have very specific goal in mind, which the doctor and I discuss to determine the best outcome. All in all, I think your chin looks great....you know, you have a new shape, and you have to get used to it. Your feelings are normal, since you have been looking at the same face since birth and now have a new chin. Its normal I assume to feel weird about it. I hope you can answer all my questions :)
Hi there! Alright let's see if I get them all answered if not ask away, I got a lot of material to read through.....I picked my surgeon, not because I found HIM, but because I went to see my doctor that did my breast augmentation to only be told she doesn't do chin augmentations. So I chose him, not really looking into him enough, just the consult and felt ok about the whole thing. Didn't even see another doctor for another opinion. Big mistake :( too late. I have been unhappy with my chin for about 6/7 years. Didn't put much thought into it until a year ago, when I lost a lot of weight and made some changed to my chin/jawline, but not enough. I am 5'8 and weigh about 140, so I am very slender and did not want to lose more. I am not happy with both size and shape. I did not pick the implant, but the doctor picked the one that fit best while during surgery using sizers. He chose the Implantech Medium Anatomical model. I don't like it, that particular model change the shape of my face and miss my square face vs my new long and slender face. So my face is a bit asymmetrical and the implant made it more noticeable. That bothers me most as well as the major changes to my face shape. I am leaning more towards removal because after going through this, my face was not that bad to start with. I will be visiting another doctor and get a second opinion, because even if I did get replacement, the doctor needs to take into my consideration not to make my asymmetry more noticeable. I have seen doctors that use custom implants where they shape to compensate, but don't know if I want to go that route. What is wrong with your chin? Have you considered injectables first to augment?