Losing Weight Thanks to Laparoscopic LapBand Surgery

I had my Laparoscopic LapBand Surgery on the 16th...

I had my Laparoscopic LapBand Surgery on the 16th of Feb. 2010. I had a medical history of high blood pressure, edema, sleep apnea, arthritis, and 100lbs overweight. My BMI was 46. I was a ticking time bomb. So having this surgery hopefully has prolonged my life.

I consulted with the anethesiologist and my doctor before the surgery about the operation, how they were going to put me asleep, and pain medication. Sleep apnea complicates things when they have to put you asleep. You might not wake up or you could have a hard time waking up. You just have to weigh your options.

He explained to me how they were going to put a small camera attached to a tube, down my throat. That was how they were going to see where and how they were going to put the LapBand around my stomach. They also were going to cut small incisions in my abdominal area in order to enter through, to do the surgery.

Anyway, the day of the surgery, I came in and my vitals were taken, I was given something to relax me and was prepped for surgery. I think I was in surgery for 1 to 2 hours. When I woke up, I had a small incision in my navel area and 3 small incisions in my abdominal wall under my breast. I had a few stitches at the site of my incision. I had to have oxygen due to complications from my sleep apnea. My doctor was alert to my condition and I was handled with care. The hardest part for me was trying to open my eyes and overcome the effects of the anesthesia. It was like coming out of a deep sleep and not being able to talk right away. I fought this sensation off and let the doctor and his staff know I was having difficulties breathing, not getting enough air to expand my lungs. After that was taking care of, I was own my way to recovery.

I was put on a liquid diet immediately. At first, I could only hold down a half a cup of water. This graduallly increased as time went on. My stomach felt so full. Also I was given medication to combat a bad case of heartburn. That will subside as you heal.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 days(an extra 600.00 dollars). They made sure I had a bowel movement and no other complications before letting me go home. The average healthy person, with no health issues other then being overweight, would have probably went home the same day.

I am on a liquid diet for about six weeks. Mainly clear soups, lowfat milk, tea, real fruit juices, coffee, and water. I also get B-12 injections every other week and will be on vitamins soon. I was 247 lbs before the operation and I have lost 17 lbs now. I am more energetic now and I can walk without having to stop and catch my breath. The more exercise I get the more I lose. I am averaging about a pound and a half every 2 days.

I am sleeping laying down, with one pillow now. Before I slept almost sitting up with several pillows and woke up with bad headaches from the sleep apnea. I sleep much better now and love the ideal of waking up smaller the next day.

I went back to work on the 3rd day after my surgery.

Special note: You will still crave what you use to eat, and the temptation will still be there until you get use to your new situation, but you will have a rude awakening if you try to overeat or overdrink! You will most likely throw up or feel too full. My stomach is much smaller now and I can only hold a small cup or 1/2 cup of liquid and the LapBand can be adjusted to suit my need for more weight loss.

The Larparoscopic LapBand Surgery was affordable and worth it for me and I would recommend it and my doctor to anyone. Consider your health issues and the quality of life that you want with your family & friends and I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself.

Hello everyone, I just thought I would touch base...

Hello everyone,
I just thought I would touch base and let you all know where I am now concerning my weight. I am battling with it everyday. It wasn't the surgery, it was me. I didn't use enough discipline and fell back into my old routine of eating all the wrong foods. I have gain some of the weight back and now I am considering having the Gastric Sleeve sugery. I found out that I could not digest certain foods anymore. I love steak but I have a hard time getting it to go down my throat, seems to get stuck in my chest area, and I was warned not to eat it. As a matter of fact, I was warned about several different foods, but I did not heed the warning. Some people want to blame the doctor, or the procedure, but if you are honest with yourself, you know it is probably you that was to blame. I know it was me. I felt that I could control the habit of eating what I want and failed. If you stick to the diet and excercise plan they give you, it will work. You have to learn self control, and I know it won't be easy. I am living proof it isn't. So stay tuned and I will let you know if and when I get this eating disorder under control. I am going to get one more refill and discuss other options with my doctor for losing weight. Yes, the surgery was worth it, because I am still not as big as I once was. Thanks for listening
Dr. Monsaur, London Hospital

I recommend my doctor because he will be straight forth with you on your health issues. He will also listen to your concerns and fears about choosing the right surgery for you. I did not want any major surgeries that took a long time to recover from and he explained to me about the benefits of having the Laparoscopic LapBand Surgery. There was no long term recovery and no major operations

Hi Lorac, boy I feel your plight ! I have gained my weight back and then some. I have been checking into the Gastric Sleeve and will see if my insurance will cover it over here. I saw a doctor at the Alia Hosptal here in Kuwait, and he said this procedure would be better for me. I had my Lapband filled by him, but it was a painful process. The port position has turned due to all the fat accumulation around it which made it difficult for him to find the opening. He had to actually give me an ultrasound in order to find the port opening after many pokes in my side with a big needle. I cannot begin to describe the pain I went through. He finally located it only to tell me that I am almost full. He thinks there is a pouch over the band that pretty much gives me a second stomach. His suggestion was to remove the Lapband and get the Gastric Sleeve or to go back to surgery and have the Lapband readjusted. I think I will just get the Gastric Sleeve. I was told by a co-worker that one of the clinics here in Kuwait does it and will try to get permission from your insurance for the procedure. I think she told me the Hadi Clinic. From what I heard, you are only in the hospital for 2 days. I will look into it and see what they say. I took the battery out of my scale !...lol.. Hang in there.

I'm going to cry. I was doing good on the liquid diet lost about 10 pounds since pr fp, weighed in atvsurgery and started to bing on my 9th day. According to the scale I am now back at the weight I started during surgery. I'm embarassed, unhappy, scared and humiliated I gave in

Hi Lorac, Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you're hvaing some troubles after surgery. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you have surgery? Have you had your band filled yet?

The thing about WLS is that most of us need it because we have an unhealthy relationship with food. Surgery doesn't fix that, it just gives us the tools to better manage it. Sometimes we're going to make mistakes, get it wrong, or eat something we know we shouldn't. But that doesn't mean that you have to give up or feel ashamed.

Does any one know the current cost for the Sleeve Gastrectomy in Kuwait? Also any good doctors? Right now I'm getting quites of 2000 to 3000KD. Please let me know. Thanks Dee34
Hi Dee, I got the same quote so far from the new hospital (Alia) in Mahboula, Kwt. I am still searching around. The doctor I talked to, said I should do the Gastric Sleeve because it works better than the LapBand. Where did you get the 2,000 KD quote from ? That is the cheapest qoute I have heard of so far. If I hear something better, I will let you know. Good luck and keep in touch.
Hi No Regrets, I checked on the 2000 KD quote yesterday, but that was the estimated cost when I first cheked on it. The total is 2,800KD. Which seems to be the lowest cost I can find for now. I contacted Dr. Kursheed by email and he responded but would not give quote on a price. The 2,800 KD was IC Clinic in Salmiya. thanks for your response. If I hear anything I will let you know. Dee34
Hi Dee, yes I think some doctors over here charge you by your status in society here. I know they have different prices for Kuwaitees, Third Country Nationals, and Expats. Some of us noticed that the prices for services for the americans are higher then other nationalities. So we just have to keep searching. I used to get Lipozene injections from the Germany hospital. Maybe they have some new bariatric procedures. I will check it out and let you know. Keep in touch.
i'll band on dec 16th, i live alone, will i need help to go to the bathroom ? in the middle of the night ? thanks......
Hopefully, if your surgery goes well with no complications as mine's did, you will be able to go to the bathroom on your own. There is only minor discomfort. Your doctor will tell you all the what not to do and eat before you leave the hospital. You will be on a liquid diet for maybe 6 to 8 weeks, then soft food before you go back on solids. When they let you go back on solids beware, because the temptation to overeat will still be there. The operation will not stop the cravings, so you will have to stay in control, but hopefully the operation will limit the amount you eat. I just had my lapband tighten again and my doctor says I am doing good and making progress losing weight again. It has been tough but I refuse to go back to weighing 268lbs again. I am holding my weight at 220 after gaining 40lbs back 6 months ago. Don't wait too long to have your Lapband tighten like I did. If you start eating more then you were, after your surgery, then go see your doctor. Your band might need to be adjusted or tighten. I wish you much success and if you need support, I am just an email away. Take care
The surgery is becoming very popular, everywhere, so I don't think it has gotten anymore expensive then when I had it. Dr Monsaur is still here in Kuwait. I saw him about 3 months ago. You can call the London Hospital in Kuwait and talk with Dr. Monsaur's staff and they will tell you how much or arrange for you to see him. I have listed all the contact info at the begining of my first post. Let me know if you need anymore info. Yes it is expensive in the states, but you just have to search around. Their are affordable doctors there but you have to do some research to find them. Good luck on your decision to have the surgery and I wish you all the best. Let me know how it turns out for you. Take care
Sounds like you are on the right track!!! I wonder if the cost has changed much since you had your lap band done? and if Dr. Monsaur is still at the london hospital, im considering this but as you know to expensive in the states. any info you have would be great!

Yes, Dr. Monsaur is still at London Hospital. I was so very disappointed with him though. After having me spend 1000 dollars on tests and 2 appointments he tells me that the procedure is not being done at London Hospital any longer. They do not have the proper equipment to do it anymore and that it is being ordered by the hospital but he had no time frame of when the equipment would be in and set up. I was angry because he did not level with me that he could not perform the surgery at London Hospital up front. I then went to Dar Al Shiaf hospital in Hawally and to Dr. Khaled Ayyash, general and laparoscopic surgeon. He is an excellent surgeon and has performed over 1000 lap band procedures, I thought was a lot. He has been a surgeon for 30 years and his bed side manners were exceptional. The hospital is new and clean and the nursing staff are great. I had my surgery at 1030am and left that evening at 10pm. Best choice I could have made by going to Dr. Ayyash and Dar Al Shifa Hospital and having the procedure done. My surgery was on August 24, 2011 and as of September 09, 2011 I have lost 28 pounds by following the liquid and soft foods diet plan given by Dr. Ayyash. I had no pain after the surgery just minor discomfort and was up walking the halls of the hospital 3 hours after the surgery. I was sent home with a 7 day supply of antibiotics, Liquid Advil to use as needed for any pain and 10mg of Nexiumm to be taken with a cup of water 2 times a day. I was back at work 3 days after the surgery. No Regret was a big inspiration to me to go ahead with the procedure. I am seeing the results of my decision only 2 1/2 weeks after. My recommendation to you if you chose to go ahead with the surgery is start to walk as soon as you feel comfortable doing so, which for me was the day of the surgery. I have been going to the Avenues mall everyday after work for an hour to walk since it is way to hot still to walk outside, lots of people there doing the same thing I am, but as soon as it cools down a little I will continue to walk around my neighborhood in Mangaf. I feel better, I can see a noticeable difference in my appearance and my stamina and breathing is improving greatly. They tell you not to work out with weights until 1 month after the procedure, it will help with the weight loss and will help tighten up any lose skin you may have after the weight loss. So I will start that in a few weeks at a local health club near my home. Best of luck to you with your decision. I went through with it and so far have 28 reasons for not regretting my decision.

Hello Mystified ! I am sorry about the experience you had with Dr Monsaur and all the unnecessary money you spent there at the hopital. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones that was able to get the operation at that time. I am glad you found a better doctor and the info will help other women out there who needs help like we did. This is good networking that will be appreciated by many. Continue sticking to the diet plan. That is the key to success along with the excercise. I am so happy for you. I remember what it felt like losing my first 30 lbs. A great feeling ! My breathing improved tremendously. It helped my sleep apnea so much that I no longer use the respirator. Losing weight, also helped my arthritis in my knees. They are not as stiff and my hips no longer screams from all the weight they had to support. Be careful when you move on to solids. That is when the true test comes. It is also when my troubles began. The temptation to overeat is still there and if you are not careful, you will gain the weight back as I did. Major headache for me, but I am back in control once again. I want to lose more weight, so I can reach my goal of being a size 10 or size 8. I am going to get another refill soon and I will make an appointment to see your doctor. It never hurts to seek other opinions from competent sources. I like the fact that he has so much experience with these operations and that is what we need to know. Good luck with your weight loss and thank you for your input. It will help others out there seek help, boost their self-esteem, and learn how to love themselves again.

Hi,
Dr. Monsuar of London Hospital in Kuwait did my surgery. This is the info (# London Hospital Kuwait)

Street 101, Fintas
T: (965) 883883
F: (965) 3905538

I have had my Lapband filled twice and I am still having issues with weight gain. The first time I had it done, I was give an injection to numb the area, then the doctor felt around for the site to insert the needle. The needle is pretty big. I could feel a cooling sensation running thru me, so I guess that was the fluid running thru the band. I was told I would need several injections because that was my first time doing it in over 8 months. I immediately got heartburn the first time I tried to eat and had to chew my food completely to prevent it from getting stuck in my chest. I have to take prevacid daily now. I have gained some of my weight back, which oleaves me somewhat depressed but I am not as big as I once was but still I would like to lose more weight. If I cannot get the weight off then I will be talking to my doctor about possibly some other forms of weight loss surgery. I am still wearing a size 14 but they are tighter on me, so I have bought size 15s so I can be comfortable again. My diet needs to be curtailed. I am eating things I shouldn't be eating. So I am not going to blame my weight gain on the surgery. I think if I had an appetite supressant it would help me but they don't have the good ones here in Kuwait like they do in the states. So maybe on my next R&R back in the states I will try to get them. Anyway, wish me luck, I need it. Hope this helps anyone that might be headed my way via Lapband Surgery.

Hi No Regrets,
I will be in Kuwait and needed to know how to get a fill while I am there. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!
There are sevral places you can go. The London Hospital, The Hadi Clinic, The International Clinic, and the last doctor who filled my LapBand was a private consultant surgeon named
Dr Mousa A R Khoursheed
Block 201-Fifth Ring Hwy.
Bldg. # 7-Flat # 102
Salmiya, Kuwait
Telephone 965-2562-0170
fax # 965-2562-0158
He was the cheapest I could find.
He charged between 20 & 30 KD
That is between 73.00 & 108.00 USD
If you have been here before then you know how to get around. If you have not, then email me and I will try to help you. Good luck with your procedure and be careful with your stay in Kuwait.
Thank you!! This helped me out ALOT!!!
Do I need to make an appointment? Or does he accept walk-ins?? Thank you!!
You are welcome !
No, you do not need an appointment. If he has no other patients, he will see you then. They are pretty flexible with appointments over here. They are usually off on Fridays but are there all other days, even on Sundays. Their working hours varies and usually starts after 09:00 AM until 4:30 PM but sometimes they are there longer for their hospitalized patients. Good luck with your procedure.
For Dr. Mousa Khoursheed, you do need an appointment, but not for Dr Monsaur at London Hospital. Dr Khoursheed opens his office at 5 PM until about 9 PM. They are pretty good about getting you in quickly.
No Regret, You seem to be an amazing person. Thank you for sharing your experience and for your candor and honesty in regards to talking about and explaining the procedure. I too am one of the people who happened upon your blog here and am considering having the procedure done in Kuwait. I was going to do it at the Royal Hyatt Hospital for double the money you had yours done for. I live close to the London Hospital in Mahboula so that is even better for me. Thanks again for the information and I will be praying that God blesses you daily with the strength to make the good choices when it comes to food...
Thank you ! That is a very, appreciating compliment that really helps someone like me who has and continue to suffer from low self-esteem. Just because you shed a few pounds, here and there, it still takes a while for the rest of your body to get up to speed. That includes the psychological aspect of this whole weight losing thing. As you see I still have my agony of defeat and then my days of conquests. Yes, please check around for better pricing. Surgery over here should not be as expensive as doing it in the states, but also check out the physician credentials here so you will be safe. That is the most important thing, your health and safety. I will always be truthful because people need to know what is to be expected from these kinds of surgery. Lying about it could hurt you more then it would me. I had my Lap-band tightened now a total of 3 times and will have it done again in 3 more weeks. I have lost another 15 lbs and am hoping to lose at least that much more by the time of my next doctor appointment. I was able to get phentermine 37.5 prescribed to me and it has really helped me to control my appetite. Dr. Monsaur was worried that I might have gotten a pouch over the band from overeating and he said that area who have to be shrunk again or surgery to readjust the band. It's like having two stomachs. This is why I am hoping the appetite suppressant will work. So when you get your surgery done, please take heed to the warnings. Just stick to the diet plan they give you. If your surgery is successful (which I know it will be) you will only be able to eat about a half cup of liquids afterward,for about 6 weeks to a couple of months, anyway. Don't rush being on solid like I did. Not worth it and your body cannot handle those thick steaks, pork, breads, etc... I am back on soft foods, now and the indigestion has quieted a lot. I really hope it works out for you and if you need to know more or just talk, I am here. Still no regrets
Hi, i am newly joined memeber of Realself i have gone through your experience of Gastric band surgery..Well i weigh about 236 lbs and i want to desperately reduce weight ... I want to do the gastric band surgery in Kuwait. Can you please advice the contact details of the docter you have consulted for teh surgery.. i will await the details from your end.