Classic Nightmare Overseas Experience - Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia

I had a rhinoplasty performed in Malaysia 6 months...

I had a rhinoplasty performed in Malaysia 6 months ago. I am from Australia and am part Middle Eastern. I had a slightly bulbous tip and hanging columella (middle section that separates the nostrils) that I wanted to refine. I went through 'Beautiful You Holiday' who recommended Dato' Dr Jalil Jidon.

The local Malaysian employee of 'Beautiful You Holiday' was lovely and arranged pick up/ drop off from the airport, hotel and hospital. A mobile phone was also given with a contact number so that if there was anything I needed, I was able to contact someone.

Ampang Puteri Hospital was clean, modern and staffed with lovely and efficient nursing staff. My procedure was seamless, with little to no post-op pain and no bruising under the eyes. I was very excited to see the preliminary results once the splint came off. Day 7 post-op and my splint was removed revealing a very asymmetrical nose. This was caused by the swelling and is not abnormal. I did however notice that my nostrils for some reason were higher then they use to be. Being a nurse myself, I decided that it was far too early to arrive to any conclusions and that I must be patient.

I am now 6 months post-op and my nose has seriously been operated on by an amateur. There is still asymmetrical swelling (to be expected) but too much cartilage has been removed on the right side leaving a slight concave look as well as my columella now looking more prominent then before. My side profile is also strange. My overall result has been an epic fail.

I have seen plastic surgeons both in Australia and the USA to see what can be done and am choosing to get my revision done in September in the USA.

Dr Jalil offered to do the revision but even though he may not charge extra, there are still flights, hotel, hospital and anaethsetic fees. I have also lost faith in Dr Jalil's capabilities with such a delicate surgery.

Moral of the story: there is a consequence to every action and now I must pay so much more for the dreadful mistake made. If you choose to go overseas for cosmetic surgery, remember that the legal options that may be available to you at home may not be available to you in another country and that the standards of practice differ dramatically.

One year on post revision with Dr Chasan

I'm one year on post a revision and my nose is a lot better....is it perfect - no, but Dr Chasan did a great job and does not understand what process was used for my original shaping. I still have the slight concave on my right side and my nostrils are uneven but you definitely cannot see such a bad hanging columella as that additional cartilage was harvested and used to fill out my nostrils more.

With both surgeries (but mainly from the first one), I have been left with extensive scar tissue that has affected the overall results. This is a complication that needs to be taken into account because it has provided some bulkiness to some area.

I love the staff at Ranch and Coast plastic surgery...the main nurse that stayed with me overnight was just an awesome person and a great nurse (thanks Amber).

Will I get another revision in the future? Maybe but not for a long, long time. If I did, it would be to make the nostril size more even (but I don't know if it is that important to me), and fix the right side more. Maybe just a little bit of filler will fix that but I can definitely say that I don't wake up and look in the mirror and experience that frustration that I had with my primary rhinoplasty and I need to thank Dr Chasan for that.

One year post revision rhinoplasty

One year post revision

One year post rhinoplasty

Dr Jalil Jidon

Although bed side manner etc were quite well done overall, the SURGICAL RESULT WAS TERRIBLE.

I want everyone who is considering surgery oversea to consider something. First of all, Asian surgeons are less experienced with other ethnicities. Second of all, surgeons like Dr Jalil have limited training in rhinoplasty, they work by hacking random bits off the nose, there is a proper procedure for everything, revision surgery is very complex and it needs a very experienced surgeon, the nose needs support or it collapses. Even many surgeons in western countries are not that experienced in revision. Rhinoplasty revision should require specialist training and allot of experience. I'm feeling exactly what Akila is feeling, the pain of regret. I actually have been suicidal about it when I realised how botched up my nose was and how hard it was just to make it 'normal' when what I had was better than before. Learn from our mistakes, don't expect perfection (there is no such thing) and choose the right dr, do it under gods guidance. Look at their before and after pictures, that indicates what they are actually capable of. Don't take anyones word for it, don't trust these medical tourism companies. Even before and after pictures can be photoshopped, be discerning.
I am glad your revision was a success. You deserve the best.
you are a very strong woman, and your story is preventing so many people from not only wasting their money but potentially getting botched overseas. You look great now, very much improved
I know the feeling. My nose collapsed after my revision and it was beautiful after my primary. I have since had a revision but it just looks ordinary. I wish i stopped after my first surgery because my nose was actually nice and I did not appreciate it. The lesson is, see a dedicated professional and learn to appreciate what you have.
Your revision looks great.
Thank you very much for the update! You look much better now that you've had a revision. I'm so sorry for what you went through with your primary...no one should have to go through that. I hope that you can move on and enjoy life to the fullest. Hugs
Your nose look way better now, congrats....
Don't ever go to Dr Jalil for surgery. He gave me false hopes and all I ended up was broke and with a crooked chin. I hated myself for years and had a low self esteem because of him.. Don't ever go with Gorgeous Getaways. They are a scam!!
I know how you feel..you are not alone..
I'm shocked. But if it makes you feel any better, I received a similar result from a surgeon in Australia who was well recommended. I learned you have to do shitload upon shitload of research, prayer your hearts content and just hope for the best. Choosing a plastic surgeon is so hard because there are so many frauds out there and it shouldn't be like that but unfortunately it is.
I go to him too..and i know how you feel....it was a big mistake... :"(
Hi Akila - can you please give the name of your doctor in the U.S as I also need to have my surgery corrected. Unfortunately I hadnt seen your review until after mine was done.
akila. can i have your email address?
Wow, I had typed a response to your great news a few weeks back when you gave an update but don't see it here. I just wanted to congratulate you on a successful revision so far. Your calm, patience and super sweet disposition was very inspiring and I can't wait to congratulate you again on the final result. Best of luck and happy healing - and I'm sending a lot of light your way!
Akila, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get your revision. Best of luck to you...no one should have to go through what you've been through. I pray that you love the results and always see a happy smile whenever you look in the mirror going forward.
Thank you, it's only been a 1 1/2 weeks but my revision results are amazing...i'm taking lots of photos and once I hit the 1 month mark I will do another review so that the results will truly be seen in the photos. Dr Chasan is such a great plastic surgeon...he spent a long time doing my revision to make sure that he could give me the best possible result, and my nose is fantastic. Can't wait to share the results so others can see the difference.
I was also unhappy with botox and filler treatment given at FACEWORKS KL my face was left distorted and I have spent many years trying to get this person to not only refund my money but also answer to MMC.
Sorry to hear about that...it sounds like it will be a drawn out process to get them to answer to the MMC but it will be worth it....I just had my revision done yesterday and when they opened me up, they had know idea what Dr Jalil was trying to achieve. He had completely resected my left nasal cartilage and then sutured down the rest making it have that crooked appearance...what a hack job.

I hope your face has improved with the right treatment.
Thank you for your courage in sharing your experience ... we can all learn from your review. Best wishes for your revision. We are all cheering for an excellent outcome for you.
Thank you so much for your review Akila. I was thinking about going to Malaysia. Decided against Dr Nasir (bad reviews) but thought Dr Jalil looked great. Before I enlarged your photo I thought the before shot was the after & wondered what you were not happy about! Thanks to your review I won't be going with Dr Jalil. I wish you all the best with the corrective surgery. I can't believe you didn't get a refund of all your expenses.
Hi Debbii, glad I could help.

I'm so sorry your results turned out the way they did. You're not an idiot at all, but were just uninformed before. Now you know what's what. I'm sure your cautionary tale will help others considering the same thing. Thank you for that.

I hope you'll start your story in the revision rhinoplasty community when you're ready!

Thank you all....I was planning on going to Dr Nasir in July 2014..but now have no faith in the fact he would do the surgery and get his trainees practising instead....I do wonder if anyone would recommend puket international though and a face lift surgeon...thank yu so much
Thank so much for sharing your experience with us.
I think your situation raises many important issues about undergoing not only cosmetic surgery, but surgery in general. One of these is the relationship you develop with your surgeon. As they are going to do something invasive to you, I think it is so important to have complete confidence in them. This can really only develop through hearing about them ("word of mouth"), seeing their results and the relationship you develop with them during consultations.
I have had 2 procedures and felt absolute confidence in my surgeons. I was never particularly nervous - other than the usual "I hope it turns out the way I imagine it to"!
I am curious to know, how many consultations did you have with your surgeon? How did you choose your surgeon? What information was provided to you about your surgeon?
I'm so pleased you have now found a PS whom you are happy with! I look forward to following your story. My best wishes to you.
In terms of research I looked for any law suits against the surgeon and made sure that he was registered with the appropriate medical body in Malaysia. Dr Jidon is quite renowned and has a good reputation in Malaysia. I scoured the internet for any bad reviews and could find none (which may also be a bad indicator).

Through the medical tourism company, I was put in touch with a woman from New Zealand who sent photo's of her results. My main communication was with the medical tourism company and not the surgeon himself so all consultations happened when I was in Malaysia. When I had my consultation, I expressed the need to keep my ethnic nose but just to refine it and was also armed with pictures. From the way he was speaking, it seemed like he understood exactly what I wanted. But a rhinoplasty needs to have a delicate surgeon and it just didn't work out well.

In short, I am an idiot but that's the way it goes. I demanded a refund and I am due to get half the surgeons fees back which is something I suppose.

With my revision, I found the surgeon via a blog site from a billionaires wife. With all surgeons in the USA you can guarantee that they have had at least one law suit and all the negative reviews for Dr Chasan were over something (in my mind) petty and nothing actually surgically related. Revision rhinoplasty is also so much more difficult so I went to meet all the potential surgeons personally in Australia and the USA. Seeing the revisions done by Dr Chasan personally really made my mind up. Also, Dr Chasan whilst lovely, has a no nonsense flare to him which I love.

This is turning into a very expensive journey but my only other choice is to live with the error and I am not willing to do that. So, I am essentially working for my nose.