Classic Nightmare Overseas Experience - Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia

I had a rhinoplasty performed in Malaysia 6 months...

I had a rhinoplasty performed in Malaysia 6 months ago. I am from Australia and am part Middle Eastern. I had a slightly bulbous tip and hanging columella (middle section that separates the nostrils) that I wanted to refine. I went through 'Beautiful You Holiday' who recommended Dato' Dr Jalil Jidon.

The local Malaysian employee of 'Beautiful You Holiday' was lovely and arranged pick up/ drop off from the airport, hotel and hospital. A mobile phone was also given with a contact number so that if there was anything I needed, I was able to contact someone.

Ampang Puteri Hospital was clean, modern and staffed with lovely and efficient nursing staff. My procedure was seamless, with little to no post-op pain and no bruising under the eyes. I was very excited to see the preliminary results once the splint came off. Day 7 post-op and my splint was removed revealing a very asymmetrical nose. This was caused by the swelling and is not abnormal. I did however notice that my nostrils for some reason were higher then they use to be. Being a nurse myself, I decided that it was far too early to arrive to any conclusions and that I must be patient.

I am now 6 months post-op and my nose has seriously been operated on by an amateur. There is still asymmetrical swelling (to be expected) but too much cartilage has been removed on the right side leaving a slight concave look as well as my columella now looking more prominent then before. My side profile is also strange. My overall result has been an epic fail.

I have seen plastic surgeons both in Australia and the USA to see what can be done and am choosing to get my revision done in September in the USA.

Dr Jalil offered to do the revision but even though he may not charge extra, there are still flights, hotel, hospital and anaethsetic fees. I have also lost faith in Dr Jalil's capabilities with such a delicate surgery.

Moral of the story: there is a consequence to every action and now I must pay so much more for the dreadful mistake made. If you choose to go overseas for cosmetic surgery, remember that the legal options that may be available to you at home may not be available to you in another country and that the standards of practice differ dramatically.

One year on post revision with Dr Chasan

I'm one year on post a revision and my nose is a lot better....is it perfect - no, but Dr Chasan did a great job and does not understand what process was used for my original shaping. I still have the slight concave on my right side and my nostrils are uneven but you definitely cannot see such a bad hanging columella as that additional cartilage was harvested and used to fill out my nostrils more.

With both surgeries (but mainly from the first one), I have been left with extensive scar tissue that has affected the overall results. This is a complication that needs to be taken into account because it has provided some bulkiness to some area.

I love the staff at Ranch and Coast plastic surgery...the main nurse that stayed with me overnight was just an awesome person and a great nurse (thanks Amber).

Will I get another revision in the future? Maybe but not for a long, long time. If I did, it would be to make the nostril size more even (but I don't know if it is that important to me), and fix the right side more. Maybe just a little bit of filler will fix that but I can definitely say that I don't wake up and look in the mirror and experience that frustration that I had with my primary rhinoplasty and I need to thank Dr Chasan for that.

One year post revision rhinoplasty

One year post revision

One year post rhinoplasty

Dr Jalil Jidon

Although bed side manner etc were quite well done overall, the SURGICAL RESULT WAS TERRIBLE.

I am currently in Korea to do revision for my nose. According to doctor, the silicone was put at the wrong place and so does the tips making my nasal depressed and very bulbous. I also feel theres scar tissues inside my nostril. hope the doctor manage to fix my problem.
I hope your revision goes well
I hope your revision goes well and that you have quick recovery after your surgery
Thank you Akila, I am 9 days post surgery and my nose is still swollen. When they remove my cast yesterday I cried because I thought its still bulbous with droopy nasal tips just like my old nose. But the doctor said its still swollen, and it will lok better. He is one of the best dr in Korea and I hope he can rectify my problem due to my primary nose job by dr Jalil. I will update.
Its about 1 month after my rhinoplasty revision as my nose had Pollybeak Deformity and drooping Nasal Tip, i am very depressed for a long time because of it. I did my primary rhinoplasty with Dr Jalil at Ampang Puteri Hospital few years ago. I am happy to say that it i like my new nose. It look so natural like i ask for. Dr Park did a good job making my nose look normal and nice. The doctor remove the L shape silicone and put a soft silicone under the tissue and septal cartilage to support tip and ear cartilage to refine tips, he remove some fat tissue so my tips are less bulbous. He did a closed Rhinoplasty so theres no scar visible. I spend a lot for the revision and i stay for two weeks in Korea, but it worth every cents. I am able to smile without looking weird. I hope those who have the same experience are able to go for a revision.
I want everyone who is considering surgery oversea to consider something. First of all, Asian surgeons are less experienced with other ethnicities. Second of all, surgeons like Dr Jalil have limited training in rhinoplasty, they work by hacking random bits off the nose, there is a proper procedure for everything, revision surgery is very complex and it needs a very experienced surgeon, the nose needs support or it collapses. Even many surgeons in western countries are not that experienced in revision. Rhinoplasty revision should require specialist training and allot of experience. I'm feeling exactly what Akila is feeling, the pain of regret. I actually have been suicidal about it when I realised how botched up my nose was and how hard it was just to make it 'normal' when what I had was better than before. Learn from our mistakes, don't expect perfection (there is no such thing) and choose the right dr, do it under gods guidance. Look at their before and after pictures, that indicates what they are actually capable of. Don't take anyones word for it, don't trust these medical tourism companies. Even before and after pictures can be photoshopped, be discerning.
I am glad your revision was a success. You deserve the best.
you are a very strong woman, and your story is preventing so many people from not only wasting their money but potentially getting botched overseas. You look great now, very much improved
I know the feeling. My nose collapsed after my revision and it was beautiful after my primary. I have since had a revision but it just looks ordinary. I wish i stopped after my first surgery because my nose was actually nice and I did not appreciate it. The lesson is, see a dedicated professional and learn to appreciate what you have.
Your revision looks great.
Thank you very much for the update! You look much better now that you've had a revision. I'm so sorry for what you went through with your primary...no one should have to go through that. I hope that you can move on and enjoy life to the fullest. Hugs
Your nose look way better now, congrats....
Don't ever go to Dr Jalil for surgery. He gave me false hopes and all I ended up was broke and with a crooked chin. I hated myself for years and had a low self esteem because of him.. Don't ever go with Gorgeous Getaways. They are a scam!!
I know how you feel..you are not alone..
I'm shocked. But if it makes you feel any better, I received a similar result from a surgeon in Australia who was well recommended. I learned you have to do shitload upon shitload of research, prayer your hearts content and just hope for the best. Choosing a plastic surgeon is so hard because there are so many frauds out there and it shouldn't be like that but unfortunately it is.
I go to him too..and i know how you feel....it was a big mistake... :"(
Hi Akila - can you please give the name of your doctor in the U.S as I also need to have my surgery corrected. Unfortunately I hadnt seen your review until after mine was done.
akila. can i have your email address?
Wow, I had typed a response to your great news a few weeks back when you gave an update but don't see it here. I just wanted to congratulate you on a successful revision so far. Your calm, patience and super sweet disposition was very inspiring and I can't wait to congratulate you again on the final result. Best of luck and happy healing - and I'm sending a lot of light your way!
Akila, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get your revision. Best of luck to you...no one should have to go through what you've been through. I pray that you love the results and always see a happy smile whenever you look in the mirror going forward.
Thank you, it's only been a 1 1/2 weeks but my revision results are amazing...i'm taking lots of photos and once I hit the 1 month mark I will do another review so that the results will truly be seen in the photos. Dr Chasan is such a great plastic surgeon...he spent a long time doing my revision to make sure that he could give me the best possible result, and my nose is fantastic. Can't wait to share the results so others can see the difference.
I am so happy for you Akila....I sent all my information with photos to Dr Chasan but havent had a reply (a couple of months ago) I will try again as I am going to the states in December to visit family and would like to see him then. Will keep trying... I am hoping it wont cost the earth to rectify as I did not manage to get a refund despite a request. My face is also quite tight looking even after two years - and I think he overdid it.
That is quite strange that has taken couple of months to hear from them, the co-ordinator when I had my surgery was Karen and her email is karen@ranchandcoastplasticsurgery.com
I was also unhappy with botox and filler treatment given at FACEWORKS KL my face was left distorted and I have spent many years trying to get this person to not only refund my money but also answer to MMC.
Sorry to hear about that...it sounds like it will be a drawn out process to get them to answer to the MMC but it will be worth it....I just had my revision done yesterday and when they opened me up, they had know idea what Dr Jalil was trying to achieve. He had completely resected my left nasal cartilage and then sutured down the rest making it have that crooked appearance...what a hack job.

I hope your face has improved with the right treatment.