Visian Eye Surgery, Upper Bleph and External Levator Muscle Surgery

Sort of a back story. I have worn rigid contact...

Sort of a back story. I have worn rigid contact lenses my entire life. My vision was horrible (-13 diopeter). Hard lenses had taken their tole on my eyes, so I looked into alternatives. Long story short, I could not do Lasik, but opted for Visian (intraocular lens) surgery. Honestly, some very mild discomfort during the surgery - but the best decision of my life. I cried when the first eye was completed. For anyone that has worn glasses/lenses their entire life (I started with glasses at 5), this was a life changing surgery for me. My only regret is that I did not have it done sooner. Cost was $6600.00. This I had to pay for from my own funds. So, during my prep for the Visian, the surgeon said he felt my excess eyelid skin and muscle droop also had a negative impact on my vision.

Well, guess he was correct since Insurance paid for the Upper Bleph and External Levator Muscle surgery. Both the upper bleph and the levator muscle were done at the same time under anesthesia. Swelling and bruising were present, but honestly I was surprised I didn't look worse. Dissolvable stitches were used on the exterior of the lid and a permanent stitch on the inside of the orbital area to hold my lid in its proper position. I do not know the exact area this stitch is, but all I know is it is inside somewhere - lol! I had no pain at all. I had to use erthromycin antibiotic on the surgical area and on the inside of the eyelid at bedtime. Healing went very well. I did/still do have a little change to my vision. I understand that with this type of surgery, the cornea will change shape somewhat. So I am hoping that once all swelling is gone, my vision will be back to my post Visian numbers.

So, after all of this, my left eye was set a little too tight with the permanent stitch leaving me unable to completely close my eye. This caused lots of tearing and dry eye in the morning. Last week, my surgeon removed the permanent stitch - I was awake for this surgery. It was not the most pleasant experience - I am really one of those anxious patients, but they talked me through everything. I cannot believe how little swelling and bruising I have. My surgeon thinks my eye should heal just fine. The upper bleph and levator muscle cost $3500.00. Insurance paid $1000. The only reason I had to pay $2500 was due to my deductible under my insurance plan.

So, some thoughts. As I said, I am so happy with the Visian eye surgery. I had my surgery at Kremer Eye in King of Prussia, PA. Dr. George Pronesti is absolutely wonderful. Dr, Jurij Bilyk is an occulo-plastic surgeon who did my upper bleph and levator muscle surgery. He is absolutely awesome also!

I hope if you are thinking about either procedure, find experienced surgeons in the field.

I also wear hard contacts, I am interested in Lasik and a lower bleph. What was your vision acuity after this surgery? How did the gas perms take a toll on your eyes? Thanks for your help!
Hi, hope I can answer some of your questions. I could not do Lasik since my eyesight was so bad. I think they said the highest diopeter they can do with conventional Lasik is a -8. My vision was a -13 which automatically ruled out Lasik. I was fortunate that my corneas had remained healthy after 30+ years of hard contacts. However, I still was at best 20 - 40 with hard lenses. I was honestly so sick of contact lenses I just had to do something different. So, Visian became my choice to correct my vision. Post Visian I was 20 - 25/20 - 30. Visian lenses have changed the quality of my life. I can see better, my eyes do not feel tired by the end of the day, I can see whenever/where ever. I hope to be able to learn to swim this year since I will not have to worry about my lenses falling out in the water. Without my contact lenses, at best could only see several inches in front of me. Yes, I mean inches. Next story, when I decided to get my Visian, my surgeon also felt that my ptosis (droopy eye) was also an issue. My ocular plastic surgeon agreed and said I had issues with droopy eyes and my levator muscle was needed to be tighten. Many years of hard lenses weakens this muscle and the upper lids causing the lids to droop. In my case, the droop was significant enough that my surgery was covered by my health insurance. My surgery for this issue was an upper bleph and external levator muscle surgery. Post surgery, my peripheral vision is awesome! Initial surgery went fine, but I did have to go last week and have a stitch removed from the external levator muscle. My eye was not closing completely. I love my ocular surgeon and he explained that this type of surgery sometimes requires a correction, which mine did. I am hoping once this last surgery heals, my eyes will be similar. Now for the part that has me somewhat concerned. Any changes to the eye, for example going from hard lenses to soft lenses, going back to glasses, surgery on the eyes, and the like can result in the change of the shape of the cornea. Right now, my post Visian vision is not as good as it was pre upper bleph surgery. My ocular surgeon explained this could either correct itself as my eyes heal (don't forget everything in the eye area is pretty swollen for some time) or I might require a Lasik adjustment to my eyes. I really do not want to have to have this done. Once something is removed from the cornea it cannot be put back. However, I have two great surgeons (one for Visian and one for the upper bleph) and I trust they will do what is necessary and best for me. I hope I answered some of your questions.
Thank u, I'm interested in visian and lower bleph, I was thinking of doing the bleph first but idk. I don't think I'll be a good candidate for lasik w/-11 and -10. Can Lasik be done to correct some of the vision like to 20/40 or 20/60. I can only see a few inches away but I wouldn't mind wearing glasses but not the super thick ones. I'm wearing hard lenses for about 21 yrs now since a teenager. Thanks for your help! Kind of scared of the visoan since its so new
Wilmington Oculoplastic Surgeon