Piece of Cake, Almost Painless Recovery! - Kirkland, WA

I lost 140lb and have already had a full...

I lost 140lb and have already had a full anchor-cut tummy tuck and breast lift with augmentation. I'm 28 but had the arms of a 60 year old. They didn't have much fat left on them but there were folds of empty, crepe-like skin hanging down. I never wore short sleeves.

I am 3 days post-op right now and I'm truly shocked at how easy this has been. I took 1 vicodin the night I got home from the clinic, and 1 vicodin the next morning. Haven't needed anything at all since. There's a small amount of stinging in the armpit area but that's it. The length of the incision has actually started to feel itchy, which is a sign of healing. It's a little annoying but isn't making me miserable.

I'm sleeping in a recliner with my arms propped up on pillows. I also sleep with thick socks on my hands because my fingers get cold. I can't reach my arms above shoulder height and putting them completely down at my sides isn't that comfortable either. So I walk around with them slightly raised from my sides.

I'm holding onto about 10 pounds of water weight, my face looks chubby as heck. But I expect that will come off in the next week or two.

I don't have any drains. I came home with the arms wrapped in gauze and covered in ACE wraps. Today I took a seated shower and changed the bandages. The incision looks really good!!! Not sure how long I'll have to wear the ACE wraps but I'm going to buy an arm compression garment online because the wraps are a pain in the butt to get on.

I have people staying with me for the entire first week but honestly as long as I have food pre-made and available, I don't need anyone. I've been self-sufficient since day 2. My energy is good but I'm sleeping a lot just to relieve boredom. I sleep in a comfy leather recliner because it's easier to arrange things the way I want it, and I don't roll around accidentally on my side in my sleep. That would be painful.

Tips so far:
-button-down shirts are your friend
-if you sleep in a recliner, get one of those soft airplane neck pillows. Helps keep my head from flopping around, a regular pillow just slides away
-take a stool softener! Start before you get constipated!
-move the microwave to a low counter, somewhere you can easily reach it. Same goes for dishes, cups, etc.

Update: Day 16 post-op. I am sleeping in my...

Update: Day 16 post-op.

I am sleeping in my bed again, and I have found that laying with my arms raised up and bent so that they're elevated on either side of my head resting on the pillow, really decreases swelling. (Elbows are sticking up in the air- I didn't think my arms would stay that way but I woke up in the same position and my arms looked soooo much better). So there is still some swelling. The incisions are not scabbing anymore and are starting to smooth out a bit, though they still have that 'scrunched up' look. That will go away as the internal stitches dissolve. I had pretty heavy bruising on the left arm and the skin is actually kind of painful to the touch. I'm told that this is because there's blood in the tissues and blood is an irritant. Other than that there is no pain. Just a little itching and some numbness along the incision line.

I am driving again and going about my normal business, with the exception of heavy or repetitive lifting. Nothing over 10 pounds. I don't get to exercise for another month, which is frustrating. But I'll find a way to deal. My PS said at my week 2 checkup that he could have tightened the skin more on the upper arms but he wanted it to look natural, and I agree. If the upper arm is the same size as or even smaller than the forearm, you get the 'popeye' look and it's kind of peculiar. Also, better to not quite tighten enough, and revise later, than to tighten too much. I'm very happy with my results so far though.

How does your scar looknow?

Well as you can imagine, I just had an inner thigh lipo and that was a little painful. I can only assume that you will be under tremedous pain due to having a thigh lift. I can only recomment to take your pain medications and make sure you get some Xanax to ease the discomfort. And yes of course, you will need someone to aid you during at least the first week to get you around to and from bathroom. Best Wishes and just think how great your outcome will be!

lol! Well i have alot to look forward to not! But i say to myself...no pain no gain
I suppose the hardest thing with a thigh lift/lipo would be sitting on the toilet?
Any tricks to that?
I did my sugery and refuse to do the extended arm lift incision. I am only 38 years old and I chose to do the incision through the arm pit with lipo. However, congratulations to you and your accomplishment to rid of your flabby arms. I felt the same way.
Hi
How was your recovery and discomfort after having lipo?
I am having an armlift and lipo.
Hi Charlie, I did my arm lift surgery, but as mentioned, within the armpit. I am healing fine. Everyday I feel better. My arms I can not lift and have to place close to body. As you can see, I am able to type. My lipo was a little painful; however, I do have my medications to relieve the discomfort and pain. I had lipo in my inner thigs and when I awoke from surgery LOL, I was moaning due to the pain.
I have never heard of an arm lift done through the arm pit. How does that work? Is there a web site that has a drawing or photos of before and after of this procedure? I only know about the brachioplasty (arm lift) with lipo to get rid of the fat and then the long scar to get rid of the excess skin which makes the arms smaller and lifts them up so they don't look like bat wings. I would love to know more about fixing this without having a long scar.
Hi, I know its been a year since i msg'd you last. I didn't get my arms done, but am thinking of what you have done under your arm pits. Do you have any before and after photos i could look at please.

Wow, congratulations on the massive weight loss and subsequent surgery. Your arm looks better already in the after pic, can't wait to see it once it's all healed!

How did you manage to lose so much weight?

Thank you! I had weight loss surgery, a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I have to work very hard to keep the weight off by watching my food and doing a ton of bike riding. Not easy but it has been completely worth it.

Congratulations, you've obviously done a great job and worked very hard! WLS is not a cure, just a tool, which many people don't realise. There's so much work that you have to put into it, before, during and after surgery!

It would be awesome if you would write a review of your sleeve gastrectomy! If you'd like to you can use this link.

Kirsty

What is a WLS?
WLS = Weight Loss Surgery
Thanks:-)
HI Kirsty
i lost all my emails and I wanted to say to you when I first joined.
So hi!
Do you know anyone who has had the armlift/lipo at the same time as a full thigh lift? Just wanted to know how they went thru it all.

Hi Charlie,

From what I know, lower body and upper body lifts are usually done separately, but there have been one or two people that have combined them.

This review from PrettyWings is for both arm and thigh lift.

This review from LMull is for both procedures, although they were done 2 months apart.

This is the link to our Thigh Lift reviews page. You can take a look through the reviews and I'm sure the community members would be happy to give you advice!

Kirsty

Thats goood to hear, i am going in for an armlift on the 30 july. Am nervous. Do you regret anything at all?
How do you feel about wearing a short sleeve shirt?
Congrats, I think you'll be very happy! It has been such a painless recovery, and I am already very happy. I don't regret it for a second. Yes, I have the scar which will take some getting used to. But before I never would have worn a sleeveless top anyway because the bat-wings were just as bad (worse, because sleeves fit poorly and you could tell my arms were flabby). I have worn a t-shirt since the tape came off, and didn't really raise my arms up at all so nobody noticed. Once the incisions smooth out (still kind of jagged looking in places) I will definitely wear sleeveless tops. Again, probably won't be waving my arms around in the air, that'll take some time. But I'm sure that once I feel comfortable with the scars I'll have no issues.
Thanks for the reply, that is good to hear about the recovery. I didnt mention that i am having a thigh lift as well. So that is why i needed to know how much discomfort their will be for the armlift. So going to the toilet etc is not restricting?
Not for me, no. I had no trouble using the bathroom. The only thing I needed help with was getting shirts on and off (even button-up ones) for the first few days, and tying my hair up. I don't know if you are getting any lipo with your arm lift, that will also affect how much pain you have. I had no lipo, so mine wasn't very painful at all. But I've heard from others that when the lipo is added it is much more painful and there is a lot more swelling.
uh-oh, yep having lipo as well.
Thank you so much for your reply, its so good to get feed back. I am so glad you kept a diary on how you were going with it. I think i will inform others as well how i go. I will be in hospital for 7 days due to the full thigh lift. But thats ok, would rather be there then home to recover.