ROI of Lasik - Kennewick, WA

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and...

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and touched my thumb to my nose, I couldn't see my pinkie. I couldn't see the time for the clock, let alone the trees for the forest.

I was 21 when I had Lasik: an early bird in some sense, but my wretched pinkie vision gracefully hadn't changed in years. It was still horrible.

One of the deciding factors was determining how much I would spend for contact lenses, cleaner and glasses over my lifetime, compared to the one-time out of pocket expense of Lasik. I don't remember the exactly numbers that I came up with, but it didn't take too many years to compensate for the procedure.

It took me a year to stop reaching for the bedside table to put on my glasses. To stop reaching for my eye at the end of the day to take off my vision. And every morning, and every evening, I was overwhelmed at the gift of sight.

I am still careful. Applying eyeliner can misshape my cornea so it takes a minute to refocus. I wear protective glasses when I ski or bike.

But my alarm clock lives on the other side of the room now. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can look out my window and see the Space Needle and the city I love. With the eyes I love.

Best. Idea. Ever.

The surgery is usually with blade. Although your doctor might say that it's bladeless. They will cut open your cornea flap and then give you laser treatment to make your vision perfect.
And will put your cornea flap back. The entire procedure is painless though as you will be administered with anesthesia.
Watch videos on youtube they will make you think in a clear way.
THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISION.
Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
Anybody out there thinking about getting Lasik really needs to do much research before having the procedure done. I thought I had done plenty of research and felt very comfortable at the time with my decision. I saw more than 3 doctors before making my final choice. My Lasik doctor claimed to have the best technology out there and offered custom wavefront guided Lasik. Somehow I automatically assumed custom wavefront Lasik meant bladeless. I had no idea that custom wavefront refers to the treatment of the cornea itself. The procedure used to create the flap is extremely important. I suffered from mild dry eye prior to Lasik and had been told by the other doctors bladeless would be best option for me because the risk for dry eye symptoms following surgery is significantly less. In addition, I had good corneal thickness but more on the thinner side. Traditional Lasik creates a thicker flap, thus cutting more nerves in the cornea. The nerves in the cornea help with tear production. Bladeless Lasik creates a much thinner flap. Someone with a corneal thickness on the thinner side will benefit from bladeless vs. traditional because again, traditional removes more from the cornea's surface. The thinner your cornea is after surgery, the more at risk you are for developing a serious complication called ectasia, where the cornea's thickness is too thin and the cornea begins to bulge. I am 6 mos post surgery and suffer from moderate to severe dry eye. My eyes burn 24/7. I only get a break when I'm asleep. I've gone above and beyond in treating my dry eye. I'm on Restasis, have punctum plugs which are suppose to help your tears from draining, take fish oil, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, and use preservative free artificial tears constantly. All of this gets very expensive and at this time there is no cure for dry eye which is miserable to live with and can be permanent. I must sleep with plastic wrap over my eyes with heavy gel to keep them drying out at night. I also have to use moisture chamber goggles while watching tv or using the computer. My night time vision seems fine on most days. Halos, glare and starbursts are mild. Some days these symptoms can be a little bit worse and more bothersome, but not so much to where I don't feel like I can safely drive at night. However, my vision under dim lighting is poor. It's grainy and kind of fuzzy. Bladeless Lasik is thought to decrease the risk of this complication too. To make matters even worse, one eye developed an astigmatism after surgery that has not improved. This is yet another side effect of traditional surgery and bladeless is again thought to carry less of a risk for this. An enhancement would have to be done to correct it which terrifies me because this would mean loosing even more corneal thickness. Please, please do your homework before your decision and remember that no Lasik surgeon can promise perfect results without complications. Everyone responds and heals differently. Also, they won't always tell you about certain complications like for instance how Lasik itself does not cause floaters but the suction ring used prior to cutting the flap (bladeless and traditional), increases the pressure in your eye so much that it CAN cause floaters. I had floaters before and now have even more. Choosing whether to have the surgery or not is a very SERIOUS decision and unfortunately Lasik can not be reversed.
Pacific Cataract & Laser Institute