ROI of Lasik - Kennewick, WA

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and...

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and touched my thumb to my nose, I couldn't see my pinkie. I couldn't see the time for the clock, let alone the trees for the forest.

I was 21 when I had Lasik: an early bird in some sense, but my wretched pinkie vision gracefully hadn't changed in years. It was still horrible.

One of the deciding factors was determining how much I would spend for contact lenses, cleaner and glasses over my lifetime, compared to the one-time out of pocket expense of Lasik. I don't remember the exactly numbers that I came up with, but it didn't take too many years to compensate for the procedure.

It took me a year to stop reaching for the bedside table to put on my glasses. To stop reaching for my eye at the end of the day to take off my vision. And every morning, and every evening, I was overwhelmed at the gift of sight.

I am still careful. Applying eyeliner can misshape my cornea so it takes a minute to refocus. I wear protective glasses when I ski or bike.

But my alarm clock lives on the other side of the room now. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can look out my window and see the Space Needle and the city I love. With the eyes I love.

Best. Idea. Ever.