ROI of Lasik - Kennewick, WA

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and...

Five years ago, if I spread my hand out, and touched my thumb to my nose, I couldn't see my pinkie. I couldn't see the time for the clock, let alone the trees for the forest.

I was 21 when I had Lasik: an early bird in some sense, but my wretched pinkie vision gracefully hadn't changed in years. It was still horrible.

One of the deciding factors was determining how much I would spend for contact lenses, cleaner and glasses over my lifetime, compared to the one-time out of pocket expense of Lasik. I don't remember the exactly numbers that I came up with, but it didn't take too many years to compensate for the procedure.

It took me a year to stop reaching for the bedside table to put on my glasses. To stop reaching for my eye at the end of the day to take off my vision. And every morning, and every evening, I was overwhelmed at the gift of sight.

I am still careful. Applying eyeliner can misshape my cornea so it takes a minute to refocus. I wear protective glasses when I ski or bike.

But my alarm clock lives on the other side of the room now. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can look out my window and see the Space Needle and the city I love. With the eyes I love.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Pacific Cataract & Laser Institute

The surgery is usually with blade. Although your doctor might say that it's bladeless. They will cut open your cornea flap and then give you laser treatment to make your vision perfect.
And will put your cornea flap back. The entire procedure is painless though as you will be administered with anesthesia.
Watch videos on youtube they will make you think in a clear way.
THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISION.
Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
Anybody out there thinking about getting Lasik really needs to do much research before having the procedure done. I thought I had done plenty of research and felt very comfortable at the time with my decision. I saw more than 3 doctors before making my final choice. My Lasik doctor claimed to have the best technology out there and offered custom wavefront guided Lasik. Somehow I automatically assumed custom wavefront Lasik meant bladeless. I had no idea that custom wavefront refers to the treatment of the cornea itself. The procedure used to create the flap is extremely important. I suffered from mild dry eye prior to Lasik and had been told by the other doctors bladeless would be best option for me because the risk for dry eye symptoms following surgery is significantly less. In addition, I had good corneal thickness but more on the thinner side. Traditional Lasik creates a thicker flap, thus cutting more nerves in the cornea. The nerves in the cornea help with tear production. Bladeless Lasik creates a much thinner flap. Someone with a corneal thickness on the thinner side will benefit from bladeless vs. traditional because again, traditional removes more from the cornea's surface. The thinner your cornea is after surgery, the more at risk you are for developing a serious complication called ectasia, where the cornea's thickness is too thin and the cornea begins to bulge. I am 6 mos post surgery and suffer from moderate to severe dry eye. My eyes burn 24/7. I only get a break when I'm asleep. I've gone above and beyond in treating my dry eye. I'm on Restasis, have punctum plugs which are suppose to help your tears from draining, take fish oil, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, and use preservative free artificial tears constantly. All of this gets very expensive and at this time there is no cure for dry eye which is miserable to live with and can be permanent. I must sleep with plastic wrap over my eyes with heavy gel to keep them drying out at night. I also have to use moisture chamber goggles while watching tv or using the computer. My night time vision seems fine on most days. Halos, glare and starbursts are mild. Some days these symptoms can be a little bit worse and more bothersome, but not so much to where I don't feel like I can safely drive at night. However, my vision under dim lighting is poor. It's grainy and kind of fuzzy. Bladeless Lasik is thought to decrease the risk of this complication too. To make matters even worse, one eye developed an astigmatism after surgery that has not improved. This is yet another side effect of traditional surgery and bladeless is again thought to carry less of a risk for this. An enhancement would have to be done to correct it which terrifies me because this would mean loosing even more corneal thickness. Please, please do your homework before your decision and remember that no Lasik surgeon can promise perfect results without complications. Everyone responds and heals differently. Also, they won't always tell you about certain complications like for instance how Lasik itself does not cause floaters but the suction ring used prior to cutting the flap (bladeless and traditional), increases the pressure in your eye so much that it CAN cause floaters. I had floaters before and now have even more. Choosing whether to have the surgery or not is a very SERIOUS decision and unfortunately Lasik can not be reversed.
So are you saying that the procedure you actually had done was WITH a blade and not bladeless? My eye surgen told me that I have dry eyes too and need to use Refresh and Restasis for 2 month before surgery and that I may need to use actificial tears or something along those lines for life after surgery but the LASIK I would get through them would be bladeless. What do you think? Do it or stay away? Thank you!
Hi there. If you already have dry eyes I seriously would not have any refractive surgery done. All of them (bladeless LASIK, LASIK with a blade, PRK) can make your dry eye condition worse. I am surprised your surgeon was so honest with you about possibly needing lubricating drops for the rest of your life. Not one of the surgeons I saw made me aware of this. You really just have to decide if LASIK is worth the risks. There are so many people who have it done and do not experience any complications. Then again there are many who have life altering complications. My reason for wanting LASIK was to make my life easier. I was tired of messing with contacts, not to mention they never felt good due to my dry eyes, and I could not stand glasses. I also felt I would save money in the long run not having to purchase contacts, solution, & glasses. I actually spend more money now on Restasis, lubricating drops (which are not cheap), and so much more stuff to help my dry eye. I spend more time on my eyes than I ever did with contacts. So, LASIK did not make my life easier at all! If I were you I would not go through with surgery primarily because of your dry eyes. If I could reverse mine I would in a heartbeat! Dry eyes are miserable. Do as much research online as you can before making your decision. Most surgeons will not tell you all you need to know to make an informed decision. Unfortunately, they just want your money. Good luck to you and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. : )
I have an idea on how you feel with your dry eyes, I have allergies and my eyes will get extremely itchy, red, and burn to no end. I do NOT want to experience that for the rest of my life day in and day out! My doctor prescribed the Restasis before the surgery and my jaw dropped when the pharmasist told me it was $280 (and that's with my insurance and an RX discount program)! I cannot afford that now nor for life! I am a single mother of 2, I run a daycare out of my house and I go to school, so I don't get insurance through a company I have to pay for health care independently so the benifits are not as good that way. Thank you again for your help and I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with this procedure and are now suffering :(
Hi CYSeattle! I'm 22 and have worn glasses for the past 16-17 years. Suddenly I don't like to depend on them so much and want to get a LASIK done. I have considered the savings on the glasses and contacts but nowadays they have an option of Bladefree (very very costly!) vs traditional LASIK so I'm finding it difficult to decide if its worth the money and risk. Which one did you get done and did you have any other side-effects or know someone who did? Thanx!
I'm 27 now. LASIK six years ago and no side effects. I may need reading glasses someday... My arms may not be long enough to keep up!

So how old are you now? No any other vision problems after LASIK?

I went to the optometrist this year for the first time in 5 years, to see what he saw. He said the lens is 20/15, but I still have bad vision eyes underneath. It's amazing how eye technology has changed so much since the last time I went in...my doc didn't have a digital eye chart display so small I couldn't read the bottom line!
This was very informative and I like the comparison of pre-Lasik costs to the onetime fee for the surgery, valid point. I can see me trying to reach for my glasses afterwards too, thanks for the help!

Ha! Well even if it's not on a regular basis we could still ask about their application technique for special occasions.

Love your humor!

You are a great writer!

When you say that you have to be careful with eyeliner is this specific to you, or is that the case with all people who have Lasik done?

I don't know. Most of my friends with Lasik are men... and I don't think they wear eyeliner on a regular basis...

I agree Megan, CYSeattle is an amazing writer!!!