Initially Disappointed...but Hopeful - Kansas

I have had Invisalign now for about a month. I am...

I have had Invisalign now for about a month. I am on my 2nd tray of aligners. The biggest disappointment was the "buttons" that were put on my teeth. My dentist didn't mention this until it was time to put them on my teeth. He said that the "buttons" would be "barely visible". That was a huge understatement!!!!! I have 8 buttons on my teeth and they are VERY noticeable.

I am 44 years old and thought Invisalign would be a better option than traditonal braces. I must say that with traditonal braces, people know what is going on with your teeth. These "buttons" look like growths or calcium deposits on my teeth. It is terrible! I am the type of person who smiles, alot, and when I smile, I show lots of teeth! Well, I am not smiling as much now, I hide my smile behind my hand because I don't want others to see those "buttons".

My treatment plan will take 50 weeks. I know that my teeth are moving, so I am hopeful that a beautiful smile is in progress and a year from now, this experience will be worth it.

I went to the dentist last week and my doctor...

I went to the dentist last week and my doctor spoke with Invisalign and they are making me new aligners without the buttons. My buttons have been removed, Yay! It will take approximately 2 weeks to get my new aligners, so in the meantime, I only have to wear my aligners at night. It is so nice not to have the buttons on my teeth. I was very self conscious about them, I had a total of 8, with 6 placed on my front teeth. My treatment will take a little longer, but that's ok with me.

I received my new aligners today without the...

I received my new aligners today without the "buttons". I am thrilled that my doctor listened to my concerns, contacted Invisalign and revised my treatment plan. Now, I feel like I can smile again without feeling self conscious about the "buttons" on my teeth. This may seem like a petty issue to some, but it was a big deal to me and I am thankful that my doctor did everything he could to rectify the situation.

I went to the dentist on Monday and all is well...

I went to the dentist on Monday and all is well with my teeth! Yay! My new aligners didn't seem as tight this time, but I really feel a difference when I take them off to eat. My teeth are more sore with this set. I have been very lucky in that the discomfort from my aligners has been minimal. I saw my Clincheck for the first time and that was exciting! It is nice to have an actual visual of the results to be expected from the treatment. It will be so awesome to have a mouth full of straight white teeth! Lol!

My teeth have definitely moved. I don't necessarily notice it from a visual perspective, but when I floss, there is space between my teeth that I didn't have before. It's reassuring to know that movement is happening!

I didn't feel like he was forthcoming about exactly what the procedure entailed. (I should have asked more questions, but I mistakenly trusted the doctor to fully disclose to me what to expect) Had I known about the buttons and how they would look, I might have chosen a different path. However, after talking with my doctor and expressing, my disappointment and concern about the appearance of my "buttons", he called Invisalign and they sent out new aligners, without the "buttons" and revised my treatment plan. I am so HAPPY! I appreciate that my doctor took the steps necessary to make me a happy Invisalign patient.

I began my treatment almost two years ago with 36 trays (2 wks per tray). Towards the end of this set I was really disappointed to be told I would have 12 trays of refinements... But now my story gets worse. during my last visit to pick up #8 of 12 I insisted he tell me when I'll be able to close my bite - I didnt' start out with any bite problems. He looked concerned and ordered another bite mould and more pictures and said he would order a new set based on these new measurements.
I received a call last week - Unbelievable!! - another 25 trays have arrived!!
that would put my treatment at 73 trays - 3 years. Does it sound like I must have had a terrible smile? wrong.. in fact people were very surprised that I was going for treatment at all. I had a slightly noticable overlap in my two front teeth and some crowding at the lower molars.
I now have a completely misaligned bite - I cannot close my bite at the back at all! my front looks nice and straight but the midline is totally off on the top.
I'm not certain what I plan on doing at this point. I'm meeting with my dentist tomorrow for a consult before proceeding with these new 3rd set of aligners.
I'm stunned to say the least! what options do I have now? What guarantee is there things won't get worse!?
OMG, who is your doctor???
I thought my mold procedure was ughh too. I have a gag reflex which really made it take longer to complete. I start #7 next week. I have attitude problem for about two days. Can't wait to see real changes in my smile.

I can definitely sympathize with how un-fun impressions (taking the molds) can be. When I did my chair-side training years & years ago we had to practice on each other...if you think having a set of impressions done is bad, imagine having multiples done by people who have not developed the technique yet! That was a rough few days of class, haha!

What is the shaving of the teeth that everyone keeps mentioning? My dentist said nothing about shaving my teeth. How does this work and do it hurt?
My teeth will have to be shaved because the initial movement that was planned is not going to happen, because I had my buttons removed. My dentist will have to compensate for that lack of movement by shaving my teeth, this will allow additional space for my teeth to correct the overcrowding. The shaving procedure is not supposed to hurt, but I imagine it will feel strange, similiar to having your teeth drilled on. It can't be worse than getting the molds for your aligners. Now that was awful! Ugh!
I just got my invisalign yesterday, and like everyone else, was very disappointed about the buttons on my two front teeth, if it wasn't for that I would feel like no one even noticed them. I decided not to tell anyone at work and see if they noticed, and most people were so shocked after I pointed it out, so it was reassuring to know the buttons probably aren't as noticeable as I feel like they are. I also have two sores in my mouth from where the buttons have rubbed me during meals, I was thinking of getting some braces wax to prevent this. Is it worth it to buy the special cleaner or do soap and water work fine?
I haven't personally used a special cleaner, so I can't comment on if its worth the additional expense or not. I have been using toothpaste most of the time. Just recently I have started using an antibacterial hand/dish soap and it has done a fabulous job. It doesn't seem to be as abrasive as the toothpaste. My aligners stay clearer longer plus they smell fresher! I know that seems strange, but if you try it you will see what I mean. (I read that tip on this website). Anyhow, I haven't shared that with my dentist so I don't know if its a cleaning method that he would recommend. :-)
So i went to 2 dentist to get an evaluation, one says it will cost me $4000 no matter how long the process takes but didnt mention shaving the teeth at the end of everything or a retainer, then today i went again to another dentist and he said 5400$ and it will take about a yr 1/2 but will do the shaving and the retainers in the end, has any of ur denstist mention the retainer and is it around the same price for yours?

I started my invisalign treatment June 23rd and I'm currently on my second set of trays. I have to say that I wasn't aware of the buttons either and they are a total discomfort.When I go back to the orthodontist on July 22nd I'm going to ask about switching to the traditional braces because the whole taking them out and putting them back in everytime I eat or drink has become very ennoying. I've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks and i'm not even on a diet. I'm thinking this was a huge mistake.

Wow, 12 pounds in 3 weeks, I wish I could do that! (smile). Invisalign is definitely a treatment plan that requires some major adjustments to your lifestyle. It does take some getting used too, but eventually you get used to the hassles and annoyance of removing the aligners everytime you eat or drink. The discomfort of the buttons lessens as well. I am sorry that you are having a difficult time, but it DOES get better! Your dotor might have suggestions on relieving the discomfort of the buttons. I would definitely talk to him or her about all of your concerns and maybe the 2 of you could come up with a workable solution. Goodluck and keep us posted!
Can I ask what doctor you went to for your trays and such? I live in Wichita and am interested in Invisalign! And also, what are these "buttons" and what do they do? Thanks a bunch!
My dentist is Dr. Fankhauser. It is my understanding that the buttons help anchor the aligners onto your teeth and can more precisely direct movement on teeth that require special attention. I had my buttons removed because I found them very unsightly. The doctor revised my treatment plan to accomodate my wishes. As a result, I will have to have my front teeth shaved more than originally planned, but I am ok with that. Goodluuck to you! The entire staff at the dentist office is great, they truly care about making your experience as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
I am on my second week, and it's getting better. I also have buttons that are visible when I smile, I am going to ask if they can be made the same color as my teeth (they're lighter right now). I have 10 total and they are a bit awkward. I feel like they are more a part of me.Hang in there !!
Well made it to tray #8, have 10 more to go!!! I also had my teeth shaved, for movement, and noticed to shift/change. I can actually see the difference now. They do take time to get used to & are a bit of a pain when your in public, but all in all half way through I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there, if you wear them as much as you can, time passes & before you know it you'll have a beautiful smile!!!

I have the same issues with the buttons/ anchors, I was not informed about them until they were putting them on my teeth, and I have several that are clearly visible when I smile and cause my tip lip to protrude out a little more than I thought, thats not really what I had envisioned. The discomfort hasnt been too bad except the first day trying to get them in and out was painful but have worn them for 4 days now and the pain has worn off. I am hoping that after the year of wearing I get the results I wanted.

Hello, I'm Jackie from Houston. I'm on #5. I dreaded starting and accidentally put in #6 instead. I got them in but they were painful. I had worn them for several hours before I discovered my mistake. First, I was relieved that I could take them out and put in the correct one, but I wonder if this is a problem and if anyone has skipped a tray. I'm excited about my teeth but I always dread the first couple of days with new trays.

I'm sure you are not alone in that mistake! What a relief it must have been to realize you didn't have to go through the amount of discomfort tray 6 would have brought without tray 5!

It nice to know you're not alone!! I also feel better with my aligners in my mouth. I am trying not to stress to much about them. It's also an adjustment in lifestyle where you have to think before you're out and about with friends. You just pop them out in public to have a snack....ewwww but I in it for the long haul now...thanks for your support & I will keep you posted !! :)
I just started my invisalign last Thursday,and I am begining to think I've gotten myself into something I don't think I can complete. I awfully difficult to keep them in for 22 hours a day.
I find it inconvient to remove them for a cup of coffee through out the day. I alos have buttons total of 10. They hurt when I remove my tray to eat and they rub up on the inside of my mouth resulting in sores!! ugh !!! I start to talk funny because it hurts!! Is this just in the begining, please tell me it gets better !!
It does get better! Honestly, most of the time I probably average 20 hours a day with my Invisalign. I have definitely cut down on drinking anything but water in between meal times. (I have a lost a few pounds! Yay!) Typically when I first change aligners, my mouth or tongue gets a little sore, but it usually subsides after a few days. However, I do have a slight lisp. It's more pronounced when I put in a new aligner. It is an adjustment process..but before long you will notice that you become a flossing and brushing fanatic! Believe it or not, you will actually prefer to have your aligners in your mouth. The constant pressure on your teeth make them feel "secure". When the aligners are out of my mouth, my teeth feel somewhat loose or that I have to treat them delicately. It's hard to explain, but soon you will understand. It would probably be a good idea to consult with your dentist about the pain. Your aligners might have rough edges that need to be smoothed. Goodluck to you and hang in there! A beautiful smile awaits! Please keep me posted about your Invisalign journey. I love hearing/reading about the Invisalign experience.
Hi everyone; I was wondering if the invisalign pushes the teeth out whenever space is required for the them to straighten, coz my doc mentioned that I need 4mm space and if i used the invisalign it will push the teeth to the outside. Appreciate your help. Thnx

This would be a great question for the dentists in our Q&A section on Invisalign.

That is where you can ask a question that will be answered for free by dentists who volunteer on RealSelf.

Oh, I can completely understand why you would be so excited and not ask any questions! I'll be looking forward to your updates!

Hey Wichita,

So you have my curiosity up - if they removed the buttons and say treatment will take a bit longer as a result will you just be having more series of trays to go through? Did they happen to say if this is always an option, or if buttons are required for the first portion of treatment??