Write a review

2 Weeks Post- Op - Kansas City, KS

Hi everyone! I am 2 weeks post-op now and thank...

Hi everyone! I am 2 weeks post-op now and thank goodness I have a job where I am able to take a month off. I am very active and am a letter carrier with the post office, so i walk several miles a day. Plus my husband and I are in a weekly bowling league and I have 3 kids. But no matter what I did, my stomach never changed. I had so much excess skin and stretch marks and wanted this surgery for 15 years, (my oldest is 15). My mom stayed and helped me for 2 weeks, but went home 2 days ago. Since then I have been very weepy and lonely. My kids are in school and hubby is at work.

I feel ok except for the tightness in my stomach. The compression garment helps alot, but it is hard to get comfortable in bed. I put pillows everywhere to support me. I had alot of bad bruising all around my sides and back due to lipo on my hips, but am amazed at how fast they disappeared. They were gone in about 1 week. I am very swollen in my abdomen, hips, and pubic region. That doesn't bother me too much because I know that is something I will have to deal with for several months to come. I was put on valium, vicotin, and antibiotics. The valium knocked me out and i slept alot the first several days. I hated that so I quit taking it after 6 days. I have been off of all pain meds for 3 days now.

My worst experience was the drain that was in me. The tube came out of my pubic region and I had to record and empty the suction cup a few times a day. It was awkward and I worried all the time about accidetally pulling the tube out. I got it and all my stitches out 2 days ago. Yay! What a relief!

I sure hope I can keep this weepiness to a minimum. I am looking forward to getting to know you guys and keeping up with everyone's progress.

I am 19 days post-op and feeling pretty good. I...

I am 19 days post-op and feeling pretty good. I want to start using lotions on my incision, but the nurse told me at my 2 week appointment to wait for about 3 more weeks. I am not sure why? Do you guys recommend Palmers Oil, or has something else seemed to work better? I can't wait to take a bubble bath, or heck, any kind of bath, but I have to wait on that, too. I go back to the doc in one week and maybe they will give the bath green light. :-) I am really surprised that i am not in any pain and not needed any kind of pain med for a week. I just have to finish my bottle of antibotics. Hope you guys are all feeling GREAT!

Just had my 4 week doctor appointment yesterday....

Just had my 4 week doctor appointment yesterday. They took pictures and are going to send me a copy. I was laying down on the exam table and my doc had me lift my head up. He felt my ab muscles and said that they are rock hard. That was so cool to hear. I have been really careful with eating light and healthy for the last few weeks, and managed to keep my swelling from getting too bad. But I totally blew it this past weekend, with the super bowl and a birthday party and eating out, etc. I am telling you............not worth it! I have been swollen big time for the last few days. I need to stay away from the salt. Last night I felt like I would pop like a balloon at anytime. I asked my doc if I could quit wearing my compression garment and wear spanx instead, and he said yes, so I ordered a pair this morning online. That will be good since I go back to work in 6 days and will need to fit into my uniform pants(letter carrier). He also told me I could take a bath. I took a long, hot bath last night and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 weeks is a long time to not get to take a bath. Hope everyone is doing great and I will keep updating weekly. God Bless!

Okay, I have now made it to 5 weeks. I went back...

Okay, I have now made it to 5 weeks. I went back to work 2 days ago and it has been very hard. I went from not getting any exercise to being on my feet for 9 or 10 hours and walking for several miles delivering mail. I decided to wear my compression garment and am so thankful that I did! Hubby wrapped that thing around me nice and tight and my stomach didn't swell or hurt at all. My legs are another story, however. They are so sore from not getting their normal exercise for 5 weeks. I can get into my jeans now, so that is definately progress. I feel good and am even getting alot more comfortable sleeping in bed at night. I am trying to be patient, but can't wait for the day that I can go shopping for some new clothes that are alot smaller size. I am size 10 now, and the doctor said that I should easily be able to wear 6's after the swelling goes down. Hubby told me the other night when I was getting changed that my new belly button looked great and that he didn't think it would look that good. I haven't had a decent looking belly button for 15 years, since my 1st 9 lb baby was born. I am so glad that I did this! I hope everybody had a really nice Valentine's Day! Oh, yeah, I started using Mederma lotion on my scar today. It says to use it 3 or 4 times a day for 8 weeks. I will use it until I am 13 weeks post-op and see how the scar looks then. I will post more next week. Stay strong and positive everybody! :-)

Well, I made it to 7 weeks. Time sure flies by...

Well, I made it to 7 weeks. Time sure flies by fast. I went back to work 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been fine, not nearly as tired as I thought I would be. It feels great to be getting alot of exercise and fresh air again. My stomach is somewhat flat in the morning, but of course swell hell shows its ugly face by afternoon. My pants are still mostly tight or uncomfortable, and I hope that the swelling will start to diminish in the near future. I am very happy so far with the results and for the 1st time in 15 years I find myself wanting to look at myself naked in the mirror. I avoided doing that before the surgery because it was depressing. This is fun looking for the positive changes that are slowing transforming in my figure. Everybody who is reading this that are thinking about gettng a tt, do it! You will be so glad you did! I will update more later.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

He is a doctor that has a great bedside manner and makes you feel comfortable and important. I am very happy I chose him.

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
3 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
3 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
3 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
4 out of 5 stars Payment process
4 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful?

Comments (20)

Sort by

San fransico - pain pump helped a while lot! And so did a walker for your back. I have almost no back pain whatsoever. I am going to try and figure out how to post pics and post them soon. I'm doing great and feel great.
  • Reply

I'm glad you're happy with your results! We'd love to see pictures if you'd be willing to post them.

  • Reply
I feel like i could start walking already and tomorrow i'll be 2 weeks post op. However I didn't get any muscle repair though as my PS said i wouldn't benefit from it as i already had strong stomach muscles to begin with.

I'll be asking my PS on Tuesday when i have my appt but i'm sure i can walk slowly on treadmill already.
  • Reply
Hello, on a business trip in Hawaii for 4 days, to bad I didn't have a TT&BL already. I know I would have enjoyed the pool.:) Looks like I set a date for June 1st. But really need to know how soon I can get into walking....a lot after surgery. I want to do a 2 day Breast Cancer walk 2 months post op and would need to train a bit. 26 miles day 1
I am coming back to Hawaii in September, for work hope to have a 2 piece them.
  • Reply
Hi! I just started walking again 2 days ago at work. I am 5 weeks post-op and walked 8-10 miles. Wear your compression garment when you walk and that will help you tremendously! Good luck and good for you doing the Breast Cancer walk! What a GREAT cause!
  • Reply

I was walking on the treadmill at 5-6 weeks post OP.  Started slow but it felt so good to get some exercise.  Your body will let you know how fast and how long to go. 
  • Reply
Hello, any one here have a pain pump? Do you think it helped?
  • Reply
Boy it's really comforting to read this and to know that everything went well for all of you. I am having a TT on February 25th and I have read about it so much. I'm excited and nervous....but more excited right now. the pain is the least of my worries....I just want to come out of it alive and healthy! Can anyone tell me what to expect at the moment when you wake up and the car ride home? Thank you and I wish you all the quickest recovery. We are having a blizzard here also (chicago) I wish my surgery was tomorrow.
  • Reply

Leezaah I think you are getting a foot more snow than we are here in Madison!!  This is crazy weather..
  • Reply
I am looking to do a breast reduction and TT in June. Good question about the car ride and waking up. I am in the same boat, pain does not bother me but the waking up part makes me VERY nervous.
Let me know what you hear.
  • Reply

It is always the first thought on your mind with surgery.  When you wake up you will be very groggy and should be pain free.  I felt more of an ache at first and a little burn at the incision line.  Nothing painful though.  They will ask you what your pain level is and push the meds as needed.   To be honest I felt the most pain when I had to get up and use the bathroom the first time...HOLY HELLO!    It took two nurses to get me up.  You quickly realize that you can't use your abs at that time.

The car ride home was not so fun.  I felt every bump and hung on for dear life.  I also had lipo on the outer thighs, hips and booty so that area really hurt when sitting in the bucket seat of the car.   I recommend taking a couple really soft pillows for the car ride home.  One for under the seat belt that goes across your chest and the other for behind your lower back. 

Just do not plan on getting any where fast.   It will all be a distant memory shortly after.
  • Reply
Yes we did get a lot of snow but now things are warming up. This weather IS crazy. Anyone hear anything about the the pain pump? 10 days to go and still nervous and excited.
  • Reply

Hi lettergirl and welcome to RealSelf!!

Hang in there and it will get better.  The first few days home alone are no fun at all!  I was a weepy mess when my hubby went back to work.   That will ease up a little more each week. 

You are through the worst part of the process so hang on.  All up hill from here and spring is just around the corner.  This time of year is also hard because of the cold dark days.  Not my most favorite time of the year. 

Keep posting and we will all help you through :)
  • Reply

I'm glad you two connected :) I have read so many descriptions of women going through ups and downs after a tummy tuck. It's very normal and will pass with time. I'm looking forward to following your journal. While you're healing, here's some reading material: Kimmers' Month by Month Tummy Tuck Diary is full of information and humor.

Hang in there and please come back and tell us how you're doing.

  • Reply
Hello Lettergirl!
I am one week post op from a TT with no lipo. The recovery process certainly puts you through a roller coaster of emotions. Yesterday I felt great and today I, too, feel a little weepy and lonely. I had help the first four days and then I've been on my own.

I hope you find comfort knowing that there are other great women on here going through the same exact thing and can relate to what your going through. This website has provided me a tremendous amount of support and encouragement. I still have 3 drains in and am scared about having them removed. Did it hurt when yours were removed? How long do you anticipate being off of work? Good luck with everything :)
  • Reply
Hi! I only had one drain to deal with and the fluid never turned a light straw color like they said it would. It seemed like it was always dark red. My doc said that it was old blood and needed to be drained or it might start leaking out of the incision. The nurse took it out on Tuesday and I thought that the tube was probably in me about 1 or 2 inches. WRONG! That baby was in about a foot. She said it wouldn't hurt to come out, just feel kind of wormy. That was a fib because it did hurt, but was over very quickly. So don't worry when they take yours out. It is such a relief. talk to you soon & hope your feeling good.
  • Reply
Just checking in to see how your doing. I hope your weekend went well and your hangin' in there. I'm supposed to get my drains out tomorrow and like I said before, I'm a little nervous. I can feel the drain tube from my pubic region all the way to the top of my abdomen. It is a loooong tube! I know it may hurt a bit but it should be the last "pain" I feel associated with the TT so I'm trying to be positive about it. Hope all is well and take care :)
  • Reply
Hey, by the time you are reading this, your drains will be out. WHAT A RELIEF that is! I am getting better everyday and wanted to start going on walks with my little boy and our puppy starting today. But wouldn't you know it, it is rainy & icy out. We are cooped up inside. Doesn't your stomach feel really weird where it is numb? Let me know how your doc appointment went today.
  • Reply
Just got back from my dr. appt. and had two of my drains removed but still have one left. He said if my numbers are low tomorrow or the next day he'll pull it out but he said he never pulls all three out at once. I'm okay with it and feel like one drain is very do-able for the next day or so. The bad part about it is that we are under a blizzard watch for the next two days so I think I'll have this drain until at least Thursday. When he pulled the first drain out it didn't hurt at all. Then he pulled the second one and I about jumped out of the chair. Ouch! But it only hurt for about 30 sec. and any pain/discomfort instantly went away, just like everyone said it would. Too bad your cooped up indoors. Just the fresh air makes a person feel better. Hopefully tomorrow you'll get that walk in. Glad to know your doing well, and yes, my stomach feels weird where it is numb. I don't even like touching it. I'll keep you posted on that other drain. Take care!!
  • Reply
Glad you got 2 drains out at least. We are in a blizzard right now. They are talking 12-14 inches of snow here. i went to Walmart last night and got some groceries so that I wouldn't have to get out for a few days. I walked around the store for an hour, so at least that was some exercise. I go back to work in 13 days and that will be brutal, since I will be on my feet 8 or 9 hours. But, on the bright side, it is now February and that means spring is right around the corner.
  • Reply